• 25 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ninjabones
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hi all,
I'm back into pinball after a 35 year break, and loving it. Playing in a few comps, meeting lots of good people, and playing machines that weren't around when I stopped playing (anything after Bally Kiss!) I'm looking at buying my first pin NIB, and it will be my only pin. I'm considering a WOZ, Hobbit or MMR. I want a pin that I won't easily tire of. Due to where I live I don't have access to any of these pins locally. However I've watched many videos, read many reviews and spoken to a few people who own one or more of either. Soooo pinsiders before I outlay a lot of dollars can anyone who has played them all please give me their thoughts. Thanks

#2 7 years ago

I've got both JJP machines. And had a high end restored MM.

MM is more than amazing, but once I got into wizard mode I didn't feel like there was much more to do. I still played it an hour a day for 2 months but not currently missing it.

Hard to compare woz to hobbit because hobbit is so new and still being updated.
But with 31 main modes you are never doing the same thing.

It's all personal preference but I think if you had 1 pin it would be a good candidate.

#3 7 years ago

Have all three, love all three for different reasons. TH is very special and will likely be a very long term keeper but I would go with WOZ. TH gives me a real workout with the many multi balls and long game play, MM is a great pin and fun to play. WOZ falls in the middle and will appeal to more family friendliness and will offer different strategies to complete certain achievable goals. Have had it for years and has not gotten old, plus + +.

#4 7 years ago

+1 on the WOZ. I have it and TH. can't comment on MMR but you won't go wrong with WOZ if you like the theme.

#5 7 years ago

Go the WOZ, you'll be disappointed if you don't, you know you love plenty going on

#6 7 years ago

Woz followed closely by th. I love mm but it quickly gets repetitive. I have both jjp and love both. Woz though really brings a little bit of everything to the table. Deep rules, challenging, great playfield, beautiful to look at and is a theme everyone knows. With its depth, it will last a long time. Hobbit is definitely a very fun machine too. I agree, all 3 are great though.

#7 7 years ago

Most seem to agree that these are all good games. I have both JJP games and have played a fair amount of MMR. I think your money definitely goes farther with the JJP games due to the full size/resolution color screen, better sound, more complex rules, invisiglass, and color changing LEDs. I currently prefer TH to WOZ, but can see the argument for WOZ over TH. The relatively simple rules of MMR may make it grow tiresome more quickly in a 1 game collection.

#8 7 years ago

Of your choices, I would pick Woz. Great game.

If you are just coming back to pinball since Bally Kiss was new, you might want to consider The Simpson's Pinball Party, same design team as Woz, same fun challenge to play, much cheaper to buy. Super deep and long- lasting. Totally worth it.

Agree with others that MMR is the weakest of the three in that it will get repetitive first. The JJP games are so deep that they are better to play at home to eventually see more of what is there.

Hobbit needs to have the code completed before knowing how it compares to Woz in the end. Right now, I think Woz is the better game.

#9 7 years ago

I have all three also.

WOZ has finished code that is extremely polished. Very, very well done in my opinion. Your best choice.

TH is not done yet. Future code updates will make the game epic! But, its a shooters game, make the shots and the modes to progress thru the game, its an amazing journey. Otherwise for the less experienced it can be more about flailing helplessly and beating up monsters.

MM is really fun, amazing stacked multiballs, but after you kill the king of payne a few times it can be repetitive.
It was my number one game, but has an old school feel now that JJP has led the way for more modern pins.

I wouldnt discount Ghostbusters either, Its a great fun game if you have the center post, outlane covers and anti air-ball plastic installed.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Bodacious:

Hi all,
I'm back into pinball after a 35 year break, and loving it. Playing in a few comps, meeting lots of good people, and playing machines that weren't around when I stopped playing (anything after Bally Kiss!) I'm looking at buying my first pin NIB, and it will be my only pin. I'm considering a WOZ, Hobbit or MMR. I want a pin that I won't easily tire of. Due to where I live I don't have access to any of these pins locally. However I've watched many videos, read many reviews and spoken to a few people who own one or more of either. Soooo pinsiders before I outlay a lot of dollars can anyone who has played them all please give me their thoughts. Thanks

Bodacious, where you located? You mentioned being remote but heck, you could be living next door to me for all I know. Have you considered visiting a major pinball show or nice barcade to play the games in person? I believe once you do, you'll be able to make the right choice for you. The games you are considering are all top end price wise. Spend a little to play them all and then decide. You'll have a super time that way, especially if you'll introduce yourself around while there. Bet you'll even make a few new friends. GLWTH (hunt).

I'd say TH > WOZ > MM. MM is the greatest Bally / Williams game made. It suffers from the fact it plays like a B/W game and is very predictable. TH and WOZ have more stuff going on and I find they offer a broader, more enriching experience.

#11 7 years ago

Another vote for Woz.I have an ECLE and cant play it enough.There is so much to do,the code is complete,all around great game.

#12 7 years ago

I would choose Woz, it's awesome. I would consider TH down the road though.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#13 7 years ago

I don't own any of the three, but have played them. I'm a big fan of WOZ and if I were in the position to buy one of them I'd be leaning hard towards WOZ.

#14 7 years ago

Thank you all. Doing a road trip tomorrow to play a WOZ. I think it will be a winner. Appreciate all your feedback.

#15 7 years ago

I'd like to ask, having played both TH and WoZ in a home environment. To me the layout of TH just didn't seem that good? While to me the layout of WoZ was more interesting. I didn't quite know the rules of either but TH just didn't make any sense to me.

I do think TH was better looking better GI lighting for sure, and probably better use of the LCD.

#16 7 years ago

I own MM and WOZ (never seen or played TH). MM had always been my favorite game...until I got WOZ.

WOZ is a phenomenal machine. The rules are extremely deep and it's a stunner all around - display, lighting, sound, features, playability, fun factor, etc.

At about $8K for either MMR or WOZ (or even $9K WOZ), it's no contest. WOZ all the way. Every day.

And since this will be your ONLY machine, I'd HIGHLY recommend WOZ over MMR.

#17 7 years ago

I haven't played TH yet, but would highly recommend MMR, excellent build quality on the remakes, impressive. Fun game to play, WOZ is so slow, floaty and too deep and confusing for me. Beautiful pin, but I never leave the pin wanting to play it more, it's so hard to get in a zone with that pin.

Are you open to other pins too? So many great ones out there, don't just limit yourself to these three because they are the highest priced. You could get 2-3 great pins for that price.

#18 7 years ago

I've got WOZ, MMR, and TSPP. Got WOZ a few months ago...it's the one I turn on every day.

#19 7 years ago

I own WOZ and TH. I also play MM quite a bit at friends place. I like them all. There is no wrong choice. However, WOZ is the best game of these. Once you spend some time with it and understand the objectives it's amazing. TH is still a work in progress code wise. It's place in history is tbd.

#20 7 years ago

Vote for TH. Had MMR and sold it for TH. WOZ's theme wasn't for me but it looks like a good machine as well.

#21 7 years ago

I played WOZ on the weekend. I also was lucky enough to get to play MB, Tron, and an original MM. I really liked the MM as I'd never played it before. It has amazing flow but I thought in a one pinball home it might get "old". Having said that I can see why people love the machine. I really liked WOZ , and its built like a tank. I really enjoyed the gameplay on it. The only problem I had was I don't love the theme. It didnt irk me as much as I thought it would but I still didn't LOVE it. If WOZ had a theme l loved I think it would nearly be the perfect pinball.

#22 7 years ago

1. WoZ
2. MMR (a VERY close second, can't go wrong either way)
3. The Hobbit (and it's a distant third to the other two)

Wizard of Oz is a great game, and it has so much to do it. It can be a maintenance challenge, but it's a game that is worth a few headaches.

#23 7 years ago

Why do you say WoZ is a maintaince challenge?

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

1. WoZ
2. MMR (a VERY close second, can't go wrong either way)
3. The Hobbit (and it's a distant third to the other two)
Wizard of Oz is a great game, and it has so much to do it. It can be a maintenance challenge, but it's a game that is worth a few headaches.

Quoted from rai:

Why do you say WoZ is a maintaince challenge?

I have 3000 plays on my WOZ and have had only a few initial hiccups during the early development.
So no maintenance problems at all.

#25 7 years ago

I've had my WOZRR for about 6 months. Was ready to trade it for something else, as I found it frustrating and extremely difficult. However, I took some dedicated time studying the rules and watching video, and now it just clicked. Truly amazing pin, and a very good choice for a one-pin collection given the time that you'll need to master the rules. However, if it were me, and I had the room for two pins, I'd think about two really good deep HUO pins for the same $8,000 (e.g. Start Trek and LOTR, which both offer incredibly deep, fun, fast and exciting modern pinball action that will likely remain interesting in a small collection).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Charles Town, WV
$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 45.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 24.50
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms
Hardware
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 210.00
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods
Decals
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-hobbit-or-mmr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.