Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Radius118
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Radius118.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 7 years ago

Thank you very much for this!

So did this info come direct from Keith Johnson?

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

A better question is:
Should I do a MB swap to get faster graphics on my WOZ?
And has anybody done this?

Yeah.. I was thinking about this too..

And what to stop a guy from installing a faster processor too? As long as it's within the same family it should work.

#9 7 years ago

I have read there is a JJP google groups but I haven't been able to find it. Searched groups.google.com and came up empty.. Do you have a link to this discussion group?

#13 7 years ago

This is the issue with all games based on PC technology. It moves forward so fast that eventually you can't get parts for your game anymore..

Same thing happened to P2K.

Since you have spares, perhaps you can fill in all the specs JJP is using so I don't have to take my game apart to find out on my own.

Also, on the SSD drives, it would seem that any SSD of the required capacity would work unless JJP is utilizing some special feature of Intel's SSD firmware or something. Correct?

#15 7 years ago

True on both counts.. *If* someone takes on the project of emulating whatever it is we need to emulate..

Yes caps age.. But aren't we past the whole leaking cap thing on motherboards?

I was collecting back in the bad old days after WMS closed and there were no parts to be had or very few NOS items for BIG dollars.

I'd rather buy the critical parts my game needs to run now and stash them in a closet.

#17 7 years ago

Oh.. I thought most of that leaking cap baloney has been solved by now. Guess not.

But wait!! MSI uses "Military Class 4" components!! Those won't leak!

I'll take my chances and hoard a motherboard anyways. Caps can be replaced.

#18 7 years ago

So I am wondering what processor The Hobbit has in it's H81M board. Anyone know?

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Its an LGA 1150 mainboard, the next generation up from the lga 1155 platform (WOZ).
Both games have an i3 processor in them, both have integrated intel GPU's supporting 1080p.
Something comparable to an i3 4370 would be good as it has the on board Intel graphics GPU that supports 1080p at a really good speed for its class.
Both of these platforms support high speed DDR3 1333 ram, way more than you need for a pinball machine.
Both of the mainboards JJP uses are all solid core cap design, they should have a very long service life.
My concern is the audio amplifier on board, they can fail after awhile. They can be repaired (i have done it a few times) but its not simple for the home repair guy, and its one of the main reasons I have had to replace these mainboards (dead audio).
I was wondering if a PCI-e Realtek add-on board is supported by the OS driver kit.
That would be awesome as you could just snap in a replacement sound card and be done.

Interesting.. So you have actually replaced a JJP motherboard and found an i3 installed?

If so that conflicts with info I was told on the JJP google group that JJP uses celeron processors.

I suppose if the drivers for whatever sound card you wanted to use were already included in the kernel it should work. In theory.

#22 7 years ago

I have been messing around with Dell R710s and other such beasts lately so I have been out of touch for several years on the desktop stuff.

I agree that for basic pinball machine functions that either processor is overkill. It would seem that most of the cpu horsepower JJP uses in their games is the onboard graphics processor on the core cpu's. I was under the impression that onboard graphics on the celeron processors was not as good as i3. But then perhaps the demand on the cpu is low enough that a celeron would be just fine.

1 year later
#23 6 years ago

Resurrecting this old post to share further information on this subject.

I can say from first hand experience that the H81M-E33 mainboard does NOT work in WoZ. The system gets to "system init" and just keeps rebooting over and over.

The only difference between this board and the H81M-P33 is that the E33 has HDMI and 4k support whereas the P33 only has DVI.

Both board are based on the same H81 chipset and both boards have the exact same features except HDMI vs DVI. So there must be something different about how the chipset handles video or something the JJP software does not like.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Radius118.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-hobbit-maimboard-model?tu=Radius118 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.