Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ASOA
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

The leds go crazy when a game starts flashing all the colors. You cannot see the lit shots because evert led is flashing all the colors When the game ends they go to the correct colors. Any help would be much appreciated!

#2 5 years ago

One of the crystal ball modes does this. I believe the mode is called "Lights On".

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jakers:

One of the crystal ball modes does this. I believe the mode is called "Lights On".

That only happens for specific moments during gameplay. OP sound like he has a problem with one of the LED boards in the game.

flamehead there is a guide in the WOZ manual that explains how to address lighting board issues. You should read that and then probably call JJP since it’s highly likely you will need to order some parts. If you are under warranty they won’t cost you anything.

#4 5 years ago

Thanks flippyd I will start there. Unfortunately the warranty is up

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from flamehead:

Thanks flippyd I will start there. Unfortunately the warranty is up

Hopefully it’s just one of the single light boards since those are only about $30. If it’s one of the bigger boards they are $200+.

There are some people on here who know how to repair the lighting boards so that could be an option if replacement cost is too high.

Also what version WOZ is it? There are different boards used in different versions and the original ones are the least reliable.

Good luck! I’ve had LED probs twice now and while annoying it’s a game worth fixing!

#6 5 years ago

It’s the ruby red version

#7 5 years ago

Sounds like a loose connector. Need to check all the lamp board connectors.

#8 5 years ago

It could be a connector - or it could be a board. You have to test it systematically by bypassing boards. I had the same problem and it ended up being the small GI board under the castle. It took me a while to find it as I left that until last to test as it was a pain to get to. When I replaced that board with one JJP sent me, all was good.

#9 5 years ago

Seems odd it goes back to normal once a game ends. My experience with bad boards is that they stay bad.

#10 5 years ago

I had similar a while ago - and traced it to a bad connector. Normal in attract mode, but as soon as you press start - they all go flicker rainbow crazy! You should be able to see a few up towards the top of the playfield that are acting normally, and then work out from looking at the manual which one is the first in the chain to go stupid. Wiggle the connectors on the board before that one and see if it start the problem, or fixes it, and then get that board or connector changed. It's a pain to work it out - took me about 4 months, then easily fixed. Mine only started on starting the game due to he vibrations from the ball launch then flippers/slings.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Seems odd it goes back to normal once a game ends. My experience with bad boards is that they stay bad.

I've seen this multiple times, the problem only happens when the problem board is supposed to be displaying a certain color. Go into tests, all LEDs and cycle the colors and you'll find out which one it is.

#12 5 years ago

Bend on of the end pins on the light board connector just a hair and reseat the pins, sounds like a loose connector.

#13 5 years ago

I have 2 lights on the rainbow that are not the correct color.

#14 5 years ago

Took me forever to track down an issue I had which was similar. Check the connector at the crystal ball. It is pretty easy for that connector to get kinked or bent. Don't remember for sure what I had to replace but it ended up being pretty easy. Can you post a video of what is going on?

#15 5 years ago

Thanks guys I’m going to try all these solutions and suggestions I’ll get back and I will post a video thanks

#16 5 years ago

Ok so I watched the lights during attract mode and the lights start lighting up normally and progresses through each led board until it gets to the last board...the one with “9” on it at that point all the other boards flash crazily except the last one it operates normally... any ideas?

#17 5 years ago

When I go to tests and test the leds, I go to ALL LEDS and select white all the leds are white on the PF then when I try the other colors, all the leds go crazy on the PF except on that same board ( the one with 9) that board goes dark

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from flamehead:

When I go to tests and test the leds, I go to ALL LEDS and select white all the leds are white on the PF then when I try the other colors, all the leds go crazy on the PF except on that same board ( the one with 9) that board goes dark

Sounds like you are narrowing down the location, great! Have you contacted JJP yet either by phone or opening a ticket on their web site? At the very least you'll probably need a new cable if that ends up being the problem. Although you can snag a data cable from further downstream in the lighting system to test with.

#19 5 years ago

It is missing the driver file for the light boards. Call Frank at JJP he will tell you what to do. You will have to reload the software to get the driver back installed. Not a big deal but very annoying.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

It is missing the driver file for the light boards. Call Frank at JJP he will tell you what to do. You will have to reload the software to get the driver back installed. Not a big deal but very annoying.

First time I've ever heard of this being an issue and I've worked with Frank on pretty much the exact same problem multiple times, and many more on my own. Every time it's been a bad board or connector / cable issue and always one of the small GI boards, usually one near a sling or flipper mech. Please elaborate on this and why you believe it's a software / driver file issue, I'm very curious now.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from flamehead:

Go into the ordered LED test, make sure white is selected and then progress through the test until you get to the one that makes the rest of the series go bonkers. Once you identify the board you can bypass it by moving the output cable from the board immediately before it in the string to the input of the board immediately after it in the string. Do this with the power off, then go into settings - game settings, scroll down until you find that board and disable it, then the game should play fine until you get a replacement board.

#22 5 years ago

Ask to speak with frank there have been a few issues with the Ruby Reds with the 2.0 lighting system. when they switched computers and logic boards not a lot of issues just a small group of them. Had a WOZ RR with 2.0 light system that the driver software would get erased or could not be found it replicates this exact same effect. Not saying that is the problem however if it is it would be a quick fix with a simple call to frank at JJP. I'm not the best with proper terminology however if you reach out to frank he will explain far better then I can. In test there is a way to view system properties if it does not have the driver info displayed then this is probably your problem. Just trying to help.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-help-lighting-going-crazy?hl=jakers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.