(Topic ID: 82444)

WOZ general illumination. Does JJP intend to improve this?

By davep999888

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Doctor6
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-217.jpg
unis.jpg
woz-GI.jpg
P3020190.JPG
image.jpg
woz.jpg

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Does JJP intend to improve general illumination on WOZ or is it what it is? Anyone have any insight on this? Thanks.

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from davep999888:

Does JJP intend to improve general illumination on WOZ or is it what it is? Anyone have any insight on this? Thanks.

I love, love, love the WOZ, but my suspicion is once this run is done, there's no looking back.
I think the same follows suite for Stern. No money to be made on an old product, time to move forward.

#3 10 years ago

They just did with software update 2.0 last night.

#4 10 years ago

Exactly what he said^^^

#5 10 years ago

If you machine has the 5 volt boards the GI isn't as bright as the new 7 volt boards. Even with the new board the GI still sucks. Best thing to do is hook up a couple of spots with 12volt LEDS.

#6 10 years ago

I added 2 spotlights on top of the slings using the 12v LEDs that were originally illuminating the coin door slots:

woz.jpgwoz.jpg

With the spotlights, they're easily adjustable to position wherever you need more light on the playfield.

Now I can play it without any external room lights on.

#7 10 years ago

It is what it is. Add your own spotlights or live with it.

#8 10 years ago

I put in the Pinballbulbs kit, and the lighting now seems fine.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

They just did with software update 2.0 last night.

I saw someone say that, that they've turned on some other lights dimly or something? What exactly changed, and how much of a difference does it really make?

I dunno, adding a couple spots doesn't seem like a big deal to me. My Shadow has a couple spots on the slings that aren't factory, it improves the game.

#10 10 years ago

I did notice that 2.0 is brighter than 1.24 was. I think they separated the GI setting from the overall LED setting, and run them full tilt. Or they just turned them up to 11. It's still no STLE but it's definitely better.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I saw someone say that, that they've turned on some other lights dimly or something? What exactly changed, and how much of a difference does it really make?
I dunno, adding a couple spots doesn't seem like a big deal to me. My Shadow has a couple spots on the slings that aren't factory, it improves the game.

I just added overhead dimming led track lighting to my game room. I also have a hard time seeing my JP, and many other games in the past.

I might do some sort of kit to WOZ, but my track dimming track lighting is doing the trick.

Oh, and I thought after 2.0 the the game was brighter.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

I just added overhead dimming led track lighting to my game room. I also have a hard time seeing my JP, and many other games in the past.
I might do some sort of kit to WOZ, but my track dimming track lighting is doing the trick.
Oh, and I thought after 2.0 the the game was brighter.

I have halogen tracks, with the lights all aimed away from the games. I rarely want to play in absolute darkness myself. Tell you what though, if I do my Star Trek Premium's lighting is up to the task. Damn that game is bright.

#13 10 years ago

Thanks everyone!

#14 10 years ago

I installed the pinballbulbs.com kit and love it. I didn't really realize how dim it was until it got brighter. Great to play now without any overhead lights on.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

I installed the pinballbulbs.com kit and love it. I didn't really realize how dim it was until it got brighter. Great to play now without any overhead lights on.

Highly recommended. I have indirect halogen sconces and overhead indirect tras\ck lighting (both dimmable), and usually play with uniformly dim room lighting (not 'lights out'). And have played a couple of WOZs on location with various room lighting. The PBB kit makes a world of difference. It's easy to see the entire flipper area, the pf artwork, even the ball coming down the right orbit (to time mid-right flipper shots). Makes the game FAR more playable and enjoyable IMO.

#16 10 years ago

Try Pinballbulbs.com They have a WOZ general illumination kit for $129.99 That should solve your lighting issues.

#17 10 years ago

I've also got a halogen fixture over my games where WOZ is. I aimed a couple of the lights towards WOZ and they are on a dimmer to balance it out. I like the way it looks.

Quoted from davep999888:

And to your original question, no. If they did intend to do something, they probably would have by now. So it is what it is. They did make some lighting changes in 2.0 to make it a bit less bad, but the game needs some auxiliary light sources.

#18 10 years ago

I'm a little biased for the pinballbulbs.com kit but here is my side by side in the same pitch black room. In reality both the before and after are a little brighter but my camera sucked in the dark.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#19 10 years ago

New code seems to have brightened the GI. Part of that may be that the LEDS are not so bright and constantly flashing.

#20 10 years ago

Anyone have a before/after pic of the brighter GI with 2.0?

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

New code seems to have brightened the GI. Part of that may be that the LEDS are not so bright and constantly flashing.

The other part is the way they are trying to have indirect light (under a frosted column) light an area. It was never going to be super bright. It's refracted light.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I'm a little biased for the pinballbulbs.com kit but here is my side by side in the same pitch black room. In reality both the before and after are a little brighter but my camera sucked in the dark.

image.jpg 47 KB

The kit lights up the playfield nicely, but you're still stick with the non-illuminated playfield plastics. I hope this issue is addressed for future titles.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

There are frosted column lights under the plastics in the lower portion of the PF that are now lit up soft white for GI (instead of being part of the light show in the earlier versions)

It helps alot, but i'd still like a little bit more light down there.

#24 10 years ago

pinball bulbs. I have seen markmons work and it always looks great. I have not seen WOZ but he does this to every game he owns that is not bright enough to play in the dark.

If I had gotten my WOZLE I would have added this kit and then waited and hoped for manufacturer fix in the long run.

#25 10 years ago

I wish there was a way to turn down the insert brightness. The four settings (cold, cool warm and normal) don't do much.

#26 10 years ago

The current level of illumination was designed this way on purpose. If JJP really wanted to change this, they would. The end user might not like how it turned out, so this is where the kit comes in.

#27 10 years ago

Pinballbulbs kit is a great way to go!

Well thought out and covers everything!

If you want to improve the Spots on top, either our Op-Max White or Sunlight, or our flat top 4SMD-12SMD starting at $.99-$2.00, you only need 2 bulbs, house and throne, are a great addition and more then double the light then the 3 LED that are siliconed in....An easy $2-$4 solution that helps the 2 spots tremendously.

Art
cometpinball

#28 10 years ago

P3020190.JPGP3020190.JPG

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

The current level of illumination was designed this way on purpose. If JJP really wanted to change this, they would. The end user might not like how it turned out, so this is where the kit comes in.

So when the hobbit comes out with a different system...

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveP3:

So when the hobbit comes out with a different system...

When Hobbit comes out with a different system we will call it learning from you're mistakes. I always assumed that was what good manufacturers did. When you design the next version of something, you try to fix anything you did wrong the last time. Sometimes that can't happen because of costs, or unrealistic expectations. But in this case, they would be foolish to not change it. Heck, I've been a supporter of JJP and will be happy to admit they missed with the GI design because there are lights over my game adding more light. But it isn't as big a deal as people make it out to be. Add lights to the game, add lights over the game, whichever you prefer. Job done.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Hi Jack!!!

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

The current level of illumination was designed this way on purpose. If JJP really wanted to change this, they would.

I've said this before, but the message seems to get lost. The original design for the GI was not this. It was independent from and different than the inserts. The supplier drastically raised his prices and tried to change things. JJP was forced to change the setup and went with the same system as the inserts and used the tubes to bring the light up to the top of the playfield. Jack said this in a post on the Google Group quite a while ago. I've posted it in the past, I don't feel like digging it up again right now. So don't be surprised at all when TH's GI is completely different than WOZ.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Anyone have a before/after pic of the brighter GI with 2.0?

Here is an after pic - this is stock with 2.0 software. No more pulsing yellow brick road inserts to blind you. My playfield LEDs are set to "cool" and I have 7.5v LEDs in the lower GI. It is just fine, now - equal in GI brightness to other widebodies I have owned in the past.

woz-GI.jpgwoz-GI.jpg
#34 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

Here is an after pic - this is stock with 2.0 software. No more pulsing yellow brick road inserts to blind you. My playfield LEDs are set to "cool" and I have 7.5v LEDs in the lower GI. It is just fine, now - equal in GI brightness to other widebodies I have owned in the past.

woz-GI.jpg 70 KB

whats the room lighting like? Looks to be completely off.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

whats the room lighting like? Looks to be completely off.

No ambient lighting in this picture - gameroom was dark.

#36 10 years ago

Definitely a step in the right direction. Add in a couple spots for the flipper area and call it done.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

When Hobbit comes out with a different system we will call it learning from you're mistakes. I always assumed that was what good manufacturers did. When you design the next version of something, you try to fix anything you did wrong the last time. Sometimes that can't happen because of costs, or unrealistic expectations. But in this case, they would be foolish to not change it. Heck, I've been a supporter of JJP and will be happy to admit they missed with the GI design because there are lights over my game adding more light. But it isn't as big a deal as people make it out to be. Add lights to the game, add lights over the game, whichever you prefer. Job done.

Heh sorry I guess I missed the mark with my original comment - my point was that it seems to be somewhat common knowledge that they're coming up with another implementation for The Hobbit, so the other fella's comment about "The current level of illumination was designed this way on purpose. If JJP really wanted to change this, they would" seemed funny to me; since the current system was obviously a 'miss' and they knew it. We're in agreement completely, my wording may not have conveyed my little joke very well.

#38 10 years ago

Here is an after pic - this is stock with 2.0 software. No more pulsing yellow brick road inserts to blind you.
woz-GI.jpg 70 KB

A nice change but did not go far enough. The others still pulse. I don't want any pulsing.

#39 10 years ago

woz-GI.jpg 70 KB

I also notice here that TOTO has different colors....do they ever change? Mine always stays a dull orange...and the white under the lower slings on mine are green. I do have 5v bds...wonder if that has something to do with it...and i do have 2.0 installed.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

I also notice here that TOTO has different colors....do they ever change? Mine always stays a dull orange...and the white under the lower slings on mine are green. I do have 5v bds...wonder if that has something to do with it...and i do have 2.0 installed.

Are you saying the GI lamps underneath your slings are always green? If that is the case, you have lost the red and/or blue signal on those specific LED boards and they need to be replaced.

TOTO lights are usually pale orange, unless the mode is no longer available, then they turn red.

#41 10 years ago

woz-GI.jpg 70 KB

Agreed....now the GI is pure white during gameplay and looks fine....adding a couple of spots? I've done that to several of my games...no biggie.....I've now lowered my overhead halogen 20w to about 15% and more than enough.....mark

#42 10 years ago

Are you saying the GI lamps underneath your slings are always green? If that is the case, you have lost the red and/or blue signal on those specific LED boards and they need to be replaced.
TOTO lights are usually pale orange, unless the mode is no longer available, then they turn red.

Yes they are green (actually one is green, and one is white) thought that was normal till I looked at your pic and saw a video....Ill ask for a new board.
As to toto..look at the pic you posted..the first t looks orange, 2nd red, then ?, last one blue??? Ive never seen them all look different.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Yes they are green (actually one is green, and one is white) thought that was normal till I looked at your pic and saw a video....Ill ask for a new board.
As to toto..look at the pic you posted..the first t looks orange, 2nd red, then ?, last one blue??? Ive never seen them all look different.

Ah - yes, I see what you are saying. The (T) light is a 5v, so it is dimmer with a slightly different hue. The (O) is a newer 7v board. The other "T" and "O" are off, but some of the GI light from the outlanes is leaking through.

#44 10 years ago

The only problem with the added spots on the WOZ is the fact that it sits next to my LOTR, which looks downright murky by comparison.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

The only problem with the added spots on the WOZ is the fact that it sits next to my LOTR, which looks downright murky by comparison.

Sounds like you need the pinball bulbs lord of the rings kit to solve that

#46 10 years ago

LEDs are like crack, once you start you can't stop.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Me, too! But I think LOTR is supposed to be a darker, earthier, more ominous looking game. No rainbows shooting out of your ass when you're playing that game...

#48 10 years ago

Youre right flashy bright lite shows don't go with Lord of the Rings.

I wonder how JJP will handle the Hobbit lighting, it can't be all bright and rainbows like WOZ. I bet they do dark and sinister lighting for Hobbit, and still make it work incredibly! Light shows can be greens, and gold, and white led explosions! Should be really cool...still...

Tom

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Me, too! But I think LOTR is supposed to be a darker, earthier, more ominous looking game. No rainbows shooting out of your ass when you're playing that game...

Pathetic. I OWN a WOZ and love it - but I write about no rainbows shooting out of your ass when you're playing LOTR and I get thumbs-downed.

I'm the biggest supporter of JJP outside PanzerFreak, I think, but now I finally see how ridiculously sensitive some people are. Give it a rest...you can't even joke about the friggin' color scheme of the game?

Don't know what the offense was - the rainbows, my ass, or the combination of the two. Get a sense of humor.

EDIT: By the way, you can see the difference in the machines in the avatar photo of my wife playing them - they're side by side.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Pathetic. I OWN a WOZ and love it - but I write about no rainbows shooting out of your ass when you're playing LOTR and I get thumbs-downed.

Clearly you are insensitive.

EVRYONE knows that only unicorns have rainbows that shoot out of their asses.... so suggest otherwise is mean-spirited and deserving on a thumb-down and also no dessert before bedtime.

unis.jpgunis.jpg

No anti-JJP, anti-MMr, anti-metal band or anti-Led-lighting is to be tolerated.... also, sarcasm is banned.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-general-illumination-does-jjp-intend-to-improve-this and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.