11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wonka.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Set any game to 5.5 degrees like the one in the vid and it will be just as slow.

How do you know it is at 5.5 degrees?

And if it is, why is it set up that way?

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

*smacks self in forehead* ....why don't people understand the concept of a sneak-peak at an unfinished work in progress prototype!?

I agree Greg, but at the same time, just how much of a "unfinished work in progress prototype" is it that we are looking at I wonder?

In some ways I hope that they still have a *ton* of work to do, because the LCD is extremely under-utilized and disappointing in this video.

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Rob, since you're now diggin' into TSPP...do you think the current WOZ video shows the creativity and talent of the guy who programmed that game!?! This vid CLEARLY not representative of what the game is going to be.
-Keith is known for killer light shows that are cool and informative. This demo clearly has the lights on a color changing loop....not representative of the final product.
-Keith is known for killer rules that are organic and fun. We don't see ONE MODE in this demo....again, clearly not representative of the final product.
-There are clearly no real sound FX in this demo. I'm guessing those "ding" chimes are placeholders, and when the voice calls are combined with LCD animation & sound FX, things will feel more complete.
-The only music we're hearing in this video is the "shooter groove" and "neutral mode" loop. Think of TSPP and how often the music changes for the hurry ups, multiballs, modes. That will eventually be in this game...I bet the music will even change for each upper playfield.
-We've seen tons of LCD animation from Jack already....none of it is in this video...but we know it exists and will be incorporated.
As for how "much" work there is to do...we don't know when the code in this video was created or where Keith is currently...or how fast he can change and add things. I'm not a programmer so I don't know what his deadlines and hurtles are. What I do know is that he programmed LOTR and TSPP, and they are achievements. If WOZ is *EQUAL* to those games, it will be worth playing. Since this game has Keith's full attention...I don't see how it wouldn't EXCEED those games in terms of what he's capable of.

Meh, I agree with all of this but I don't know that it is really that responsive to what I posted. What does Keith have to do with the LCD? Maybe more than I think....I just don't know. What is shown on the LCD in this video concerns me. If you look at it, the LCD screen *is* being utilized in four different segments. Every time the ball hits one of the targets, you can see it light up in the LCD, showing you what is lit and what needs to be lit. All I'm saying is that I hope that there will be a LOT more to it than what we see here... and I certainly tend to believe that we will....but again, how much will Keith have to do with the video clips and how the LCD is utilized? I have ZERO doubt that the rules will be nothing less than excellent. He does amazing work.

I know we have seen video clips that will be integrated, but I imagine that those full video clips will only be used when balls are locked or between balls. So again, I just wonder if the LCD will be used any differently when the ball is actually in play like it is in this video?

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

I imagine that with 'real' rules implemented, the screen will change constantly as you go through different modes.

That's exactly what I'm hoping too.

#74 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Everything. He's programming the game. He chooses what is displayed/heard/seen based on what's happening in the game. You have a team of artists creating the LCD animations but Keith is implementing it. So - in the game shown in this video, it's clear that not much of it is implemented yet (or Jack's just not DOING anything to show what MAY be implemented).

It definitely will be. Right now there are 4 segments showing you things that can be accomplished in the "neutral" mode. Imagine if TSPP had this LCD. One segment would show how many more drops you need for Itchy and Scratchy...one might show how many Comic Book Guy hurry ups you collected....another might show how many Cletus kids you collected, etc. I'm sure once you start modes, the LCD will show a full screen of animation & goals....maybe it will stay there, maybe it will shrink and stay in the center so the other segments will stay visible...who knows, we'll see...maybe more than 4 segments will appear depending how much stuff you can stack.
In any case...it's clear this isn't a final representation. I will agree that we're not seeing anything that interesting in this video...that's a fair critique....but if anyone thinks this is the game that we will be playing....no way.

Very cool.

It does appear that this is still a long way from being complete then.

#76 11 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

Okay, for those of you who aren't familiar with what's going to be happening on the WOZ LCD... here's a quick video collection I threw together of what's been released so far, including official videos, E3, and other pinball shows. All credit to the original posters.
Oh, and before you ask... most text shown is merely temporary.
» YouTube video

Thanks for posting that. Funny, I had seen every one of those clips, but to be honest, there are more than I remembered!

Ironically, if you go to the 3:40 mark you will hear Jack talk about how games will start shipping in July or August with really good production beginning in September.

#79 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

This.
The guy is holding his cards incredibly close to his chest. There is no way this game is as undeveloped as it appears to US to be.

How do you know that?

Like I said, the video shows Jack talking about games shipping in July and August, with "really good production" starting in September. Seems that they are pretty far behind. Where is the test game? There was supposedly going to be a one week delay. It's been over a week.

#84 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Okay, so when Greg says effectively the same thing, you agree with him, but when I say it, then I get the smackdown? lol..

No, I interpreted what you said and what he said differently. Greg was saying that there are a ton of things that are still going to be added that we don't see in the video, but he didn't say that all that stuff was almost done. He didn't say one way or the other.

I interpreted your post as saying that this stuff was pretty much done, but that Jack just didn't want to show it to us.

I don't KNOW, but having talked to the guy in person, having had him completely and utterly dance around my question about original themes at TPF in front of 100+ people and NOT answer the question at all, seeing what he posts with these updates...
The impression I get is that the guy is skeevy. He may have some great enthusiasm, but he is two-faced-all-over-the-place, if you get my drift. We're being shown one thing, and told another. He says they have all this stuff being added and all these great bells and whistles and soforth, then they show demos and roll out units to shows that only have attract mode lighting. So either he is a two-faced liar and isn't showing us things that in reality are much further along.... or he is completely incompetent and is trying to cover up just how far back they are. He has stated previously that they are intentionally holding things back to keep it a surprise for the owners.
Take your pick. I have faith in his team...I just don't have faith in Jack himself. #1 he is a salesman. His job is to sell you something and to make it look good.

He's in a very tough spot now in terms of giving out dates. He's probably learned that it isn't a good idea since he keeps missing them, but on the other hand, people demand to have a timeline.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 16.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 5.00
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 91.00
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-gameplay-video?tu=robt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.