11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wonka.gif
There are 143 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 11 years ago

I really like the Wicked Witch's cackling as you are playing.

#102 11 years ago

I think this is going to killer!
//if not then it will be a beautiful discussion piece for my living room..either way..
it is what is..

That is the trouble with showing product that is not really finished. Don't you think Jack does not want to reveal it all yet? You have to leave some surprise ..NO!?
I am sure there is much much more to the game.. and we haven't seen anything but the tip of the iceberg.

And for there Crystal Ball.. i am going to make a prediction that a hologram appears within..
That is my gut feeling. Was there any update that I missed about it? I don't think so.

#103 11 years ago

No, the crystal ball has been kept very secret - to the point of being disabled during gameplay videos... (compared to a tiny photo that showed it lit up).

#104 11 years ago

.... I'm going to kindly pass on WoZ but I'm looking forward to what #2 brings. After seeing the LCD here in action, I'm starting to think that LCD isn't the way to go. I think DMD plays a big part in what makes pinball so unique. Perhaps colour "DMD" (yes, I know it's actually an LCD) is the way to go instead? There's just too much going on with that LCD screen for the player to follow while playing the game IMO.

Anyway, congrats to JJP and the gang, so far it looks like they're successful at becoming a force for Stern to reckon with!

#105 11 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

After seeing the LCD here in action, I'm starting to think that LCD isn't the way to go. I think DMD plays a big part in what makes pinball so unique. Perhaps colour "DMD" (yes, I know it's actually an LCD) is the way to go instead? There's just too much going on with that LCD screen for the player to follow while playing the game IMO.
Anyway, congrats to JJP and the gang, so far it looks like they're successful at becoming a force for Stern to reckon with!

The videos he has shown did not show any of the clips they have showed us before. I have a feeling the final is going to be a lot different. We just have to wait and see but I would not count the LCD out yet. Supposted to be another video out today.

#106 11 years ago

Jack actually says in a video he WANTS too much going on, on the LCD. Because kids won't KNOW it's too much and they'll get used to all the information. It's only those conditioned to tiny DMDs and their limitations that might feel it's too busy...

#107 11 years ago

I know my boys can see a lot more in a video game than me. I do not know how they get all that info.

#108 11 years ago

And by the way... anyone looking for a high quality rotated version of the original video referenced in this thread, here it is:

Be sure to click on "Original" quality to get the full 1280p.

#109 11 years ago

.... I'm going to kindly pass on WoZ but I'm looking forward to what #2 brings. After seeing the LCD here in action, I'm starting to think that LCD isn't the way to go. I think DMD plays a big part in what makes pinball so unique. Perhaps colour "DMD" (yes, I know it's actually an LCD) is the way to go instead? There's just too much going on with that LCD screen for the player to follow while playing the game IMO.

I know this is Alpha software, but here is hoping Stern goes with an LCD display much closer to the size and shape of a normal DMD along with a standard translite/backglass.

#110 11 years ago

I have not ordered this game and I understand that what is shown here is not a complete game. But...everytime I see something to do with WOZ be it a drawing, a flipping white wood or a flipping white wood with ink on it I feel better and better about not ordering one. I get that the game is inovative but I just think it will fall short. Just my opinion and I don't expect it to be a popular one.

#111 11 years ago

I personally would not be surprised to see a mini OLED video screen that you see through the crystal ball. I have not heard anybody else make that prediction.

#112 11 years ago

There are plenty of voice calls in the video that are >exact< quotes from the movie, but they are done with a voice actor and therefore don't sound as good. Such as "Here Scarecrow, wanna play ball!?" and "I am the great and powerful Oz!" and "Are you a good witch or a bad witch?" and "Just follow the yellow brick road."

These would be so much better if they were the actual sound clips from the iconic movie. Any Oz fan is going to know these are not original.

Since none of the voices sound original, I am guessing that they did not get the license for any of them and unfortunately had to use voice actors for everything.

#113 11 years ago

I'm sure JJP can use anything from the film they want. We've already seen video clips of Dorothy and Oz talking Toto escapes and Emerald City Multiball). I think they might have just been using the custom voice calls because people wanted to hear them and possibly to guage whether we liked them. They sound pretty rubbish to me especially Glenda. I'd rather hear only clips from the film and then maybe one or two of the best soundalikes or even just 'narrator' types do all the pinball specific call outs. Attempting to do half arsed impressions of some of the most famous film characters EVER is just going to come across as a cheap knock off despite JJP's intention to make this a 1st class presentation.

#114 11 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Since none of the voices sound original, I am guessing that they did not get the license for any of them and unfortunately had to use voice actors for everything.

It's possible that they did get licensing for the original audio, but once it was played back side by side with the voice actor's work, the differences between intonation were too great.

The lesser of two evils, one might guess.

#115 11 years ago

There's only so much that can be done... and remember, these were all approved by Warner. Although the POTC voice actors were presumably approved by Disney as well...

#116 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's possible that they did get licensing for the original audio, but once it was played back side by side with the voice actor's work, the differences between intonation were too great.

If so, this would be a bummer.

A recent example of great pinball sound is Tron. A whole bunch of actual voice clips from the movie along side perfectly executed custom voice clips in the form of the Game Grid Announcer Girl and the Sentry Guard. Plus original music from the movie along side custom songs in the same style. The perfect blend!

#117 11 years ago

I have zero interest in anything WOZ......but this pin just looks like nothing but FUN to play. I even think the ruby red slipper flippers are cool! We will have some very lucky WOZ owners on here when they get there table they have been patiently waiting for.....good times.

#118 11 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

If so, this would be a bummer.
A recent example of great pinball sound is Tron. A whole bunch of actual voice clips from the movie along side perfectly executed custom voice clips in the form of the Game Grid Announcer Girl and the Sentry Guard. Plus original music from the movie along side custom songs in the same style. The perfect blend!

Tron's sound is so good. I didn't even know some of the music was custom.

#119 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That would be my guess.. think of Transformers. Blech!

#120 11 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

As far as the lcd animation we've seen so far, it's a lateral move from the slot machine and it's been out for 6 years.
IMO the woz lcd work was a borrowed idea from the slot, to include player interaction. Recycled idea, but at least they were trying to think outside the box.
» YouTube video

Hi Tommi_Gunn,

I did see some of these movies, but I would not say they inspired me for the graphics I made for WOZ. Keith's rules and scenes from the movie were what inspired me. Both games have a LCD monitor and the same theme so yes, there are some resemblances

What would you have done differently then what WMS did 6 years go? It might help me with future projects.

#121 11 years ago

Sound, callouts and theme can make or break a game. Shrek is pretty unbearable with the sound on, turn the sound off and put on some of your own music on and it's fun again. Theme has given tremendous on-location lasting power to otherwise unremarkable pins like BttF and DE star wars.

It's an alternative to the 60% comic book movies, 30% washed-up bands themes from Stern, but such a cheery theme will take some getting used to and some people will probably never get over it. Some like bitter drinks, some like them fruity. Like every other jerk on pinside, I want to know what title JJP is doing next.

#122 11 years ago

more rules needed for spinning house? Goes for quite awhile the 2nd (?) time around, even onto the next ball.

#123 11 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

As far as the lcd animation we've seen so far, it's a lateral move from the slot machine and it's been out for 6 years.

And who's been making slot machines.....wait for it......wait for it......BALLY/WILLLIAMS of course.Just come back and open up a pinball factory again....please!!!!

#124 11 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

more rules needed for spinning house? Goes for quite awhile the 2nd (?) time around, even onto the next ball.

I believe that the goal is to get the house spinning faster and faster until it drops on the witch. I suspect it keeps spinning for a while so you don't need to start spinning from the beginning again. Who knows at this point

#125 11 years ago

New Video Posted

#126 11 years ago

Oh thats awesome.

#127 11 years ago
Quoted from B9:

New Video Posted
» YouTube video

I have to give them credit on this video. Obviously, the second half the guy is throwing balls at the targets and it's pretty funny cause you see his hand at one point...LOL.

Still, impressive update. If they can't just get the flippers and bumpers to be a little stronger which I'm sure they will do then this game looks nearly done.

Some of the call outs are pretty good now. Regardless, it looks like a very well built machine.

#128 11 years ago

So much for it being a slow, clunky game! This looks awesome. They are obviously hiding whatever the crystal ball does. We have only seen a fraction of the animations and movie clips that will be shown through the game and we haven't even seen a snippet of the ruleset that I'm sure Keith will put TSPP in the shade with! On top of that you can see that the GI is individually controlled so that the game can be focused on individual areas when needed and we can hope to see some amazing strobing light shows.

In short this looks like one of the best pins ever made in its current guise and we have still only seen a fraction of it. Roll on the final code and pins rolling off the production line!

#129 11 years ago

Love the flying monkey and the pretty lights... The rest - still not sold!

#130 11 years ago
Quoted from j69:

So much for it being a slow, clunky game! This looks awesome.

Wait a minute now...let's be objective. If I'm buying this game I'm really happy at the new video but I still want faster.

#131 11 years ago

It will never be an F14 but its faster than TZ I believe and definitely faster than STTNG both fan favorites. Widebodies are more shots less speed generally.

#132 11 years ago
Quoted from BigOrange:

Love the flying monkey and the pretty lights... The rest - still not sold!

Yeah, lots of up-down-up-down with that ball.. and not much in the way of ramp shots But then that just shows you the type of game I prefer I suppose.

I hope those of you who've signed on for one are happy with what you're seeing so far at least.

- B

#133 11 years ago

The gameplay looks like a good mix between old style pinball machines that had randomness and new feed-it back to the flipper games. Another game that is new that also reminds me of this is ACDC

I am not saying that ACDC and WOZ are similar, I am just saying that both appear to mix the styles of old and new designs better than a lot of the games that have been built in the last 10 years.
Both will require more flipper skill to be good, than a game that simply ramps every shot back to the inlanes.

One note about the video regarding the shots to the right upper playfield, it appears that either something is blocking the ball on particular shots on purpose or there is an adjustment needed. Some of the balls that did not make it had plenty of power but were knocked back physically. Also, some of the shots that appeared to be good to that ramp, were actually clipping the target to the left of the ramp. That reminded me very much of LOTR and the center ramp shot where if you clip the post it usually does not make it up the ramp..

#134 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The gameplay looks like a good mix between old style pinball machines that had randomness and new feed-it back to the flipper games. Another game that is new that also reminds me of this is ACDC
I am not saying that ACDC and WOZ are similar, I am just saying that both appear to mix the styles of old and new designs better than a lot of the games that have been built in the last 10 years.
Both will require more flipper skill to be good, than a game that simply ramps every shot back to the inlanes.
One note about the video regarding the shots to the right upper playfield, it appears that either something is blocking the ball on particular shots on purpose or there is an adjustment needed. Some of the balls that did not make it had plenty of power but were knocked back physically. Also, some of the shots that appeared to be good to that ramp, were actually clipping the target to the left of the ramp. That reminded me very much of LOTR and the center ramp shot where if you clip the post it usually does not make it up the ramp..

The left upper playfield has a deliberate blocker that comes out of the playfield. I think some mode enables the left upper playfield similar to the power in TZ? Right playfield there is a diverter from the ramp to the spinning house or return rails.

#135 11 years ago

I watched it at 480 first and then 1080. I saw a lot a detail in HD that I missed at 480. Make sure you watch it in HD if you can.

#136 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

The left upper playfield has a deliberate blocker that comes out of the playfield. I think some mode enables the left upper playfield similar to the power in TZ? Right playfield there is a diverter from the ramp to the spinning house or return rails.

Yes, the left upper playfield has the drop target blocking the path. It looks like you have to hit it three times to get it to drop from what I have seen in the video. It symbolizes the three guards that tried to capture the tin man, scarecrow and lion in the movie. On the LCD the winkie guards drop one by one as you hit the target as if you are taking out the guards. In the movie they took out the guards and wore their uniforms to sneak into the castle.

As for the shots that did not make it up the ramp on the right ramp, I wonder if there is a gate that needs an adjustment because a few shots looked plenty powerful and still got rejected. I had a similar problem on my sword ramp in LOTR when it was new right out of the box.

EDIT: I just saw it in the video at the 3:37 mark, the gate is not adjusted right. It clearly is blocking or slowing the balls.

#137 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Yes, the left upper playfield has the drop target blocking the path. It looks like you have to hit it three times to get it to drop from what I have seen in the video. It symbolizes the three guards that tried to capture the tin man, scarecrow and lion in the movie. On the LCD the winkie guards drop one by one as you hit the target as if you are taking out the guards. In the movie they took out the guards and wore their uniforms to sneak into the castle.
As for the shots that did not make it up the ramp on the right ramp, I wonder if there is a gate that needs an adjustment because a few shots looked plenty powerful and still got rejected. I had a similar problem on my sword ramp in LOTR when it was new right out of the box.
EDIT: I just saw it in the video at the 3:37 mark, the gate is not adjusted right. It clearly is blocking or slowing the balls.

Probably the case. A little adjustment goes a long way. I had a misaligned gate on my TZ left ramp and it would slow the ball dramatically.

#138 11 years ago

I sort of agree

I barely look up at the DMD when playing, can't imagine how distracting a huge LCD is going to be.
I actually like the idea of a color DMD - or a much smaller LCD about the size of a DMD would be cool.

#139 11 years ago

I was impressed with the Winged Monkey footage - he looks like an evil little rascal. I also noticed that the clear plastic around the Melting Witch now has some black trees on it which look very cool. This was just after a couple of viewings on my lunch break at work. I can't wait to get home and really check it out. I'm very encouraged with what I see so far. I imagine that with tuned flippers, modes, a proper light show, call outs and music this will be amazing. On top of that, the clips we saw weeks ago of the LCD animations and movie footage will add a new layer to the fun. Oh, and Kieth's rules driving the whole thing! No worries left for me, I am very excited to be on the ECLE list. Jack, continue to take your time and get it just right.

#140 11 years ago

Video quality - two thumbs up! it really showcases quality of pin - looks fantastic so far. Bet Jack wishes the game had been at this level for the E3 show last month.

#141 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

It will never be an F14 but its faster than TZ I believe and definitely faster than STTNG both fan favorites. Widebodies are more shots less speed generally.

OK...once again let's stay objective. It's NOT...faster than TZ. If anyone thinks it is then they haven't played TZ.

The game looks great...the fanboy comments only take away from the game. If someone is a true fan then just make objective comments rather than go overboard.

So many don't know that the word "you" can be used to reference all. Most think it's a personal attack. So in the future, I will reference "You" (third person reference intended) to respond to posts.

#142 11 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

OK...once again let's stay objective. It's NOT...faster than TZ. If anyone thinks it is then they haven't played TZ.
The game looks great...the fanboy comments only take away from the game. If someone is a true fan then just make objective comments rather than go overboard.
So many don't know that the word "you" can be used to reference all. Most think it's a personal attack. So in the future, I will reference "You" (third person reference intended) to respond to posts.

I own tz and just got rid of a sttng. It is actually a bit faster playing with the exception of the spiral loop when the magnet doesn't engage. That can be pretty fast when hit correctly. The one thing i will say is the pops are more lively i think in TZ as of today but it probably needs to be dialed in.

#143 11 years ago

Why all the focus on speed? Why do "you" need to keep telling me over and over how slow/fast any machine plays. I do not care what speed the ball is going as long as it rolls true side to side. I prefer to focus on the modes and how much fun they are to complete. Speed is something I have to adjust my timing for on each pin. I chose my own pins based on if I want to play them or not.

Pinball to me is a game and not all of them need to be fast. If I want speed I get on my ST1300A and go for a ride or take one of the cars to the track. When I think speed I think of those things that I cannot enjoy while enjoying a cold beverage. When I think pinball I think relax/drink, enjoy. Everybody is different or we would not have different pins.

Video looks great, many steps forward.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

13,000 (OBO)
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.95
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 143 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-gameplay-video/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.