Topic Stats

• 143 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by absocountry2
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

wonka.gif

There are 143 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 7 years ago

i don't ever comment on this stuff, or create banter based on speculation (my disclaimer)...

but i just saw the vid posted on jack's facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pinball.sales?ref=ts

looks so dope. so many shots. awesome ball launch pattern. crazy flow.

i don't care what camp you're in in regards to this game, it's simply undeniable that this company has created a REAL PINBALL MACHINE!

feel free to ask me where it is already, when it will ship, who's defecting, what's the holdup, will there be software, why the vendors disappeared, why jack doesn't own a high quality camera. whatever. the writing is on the facebook wall.

when i get mine, first game's on me.

-jon - reciprocal

#2 7 years ago

Damn, I'm not on Facebook! I wanna see!

#4 7 years ago

It is so damn perty!!!!! Amazing to watch it come to life. That team should feel very proud. The lights just blow me away. I am so eager to get her home. Come on #75!

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

i don't care what camp you're in in regards to this game, it's simply undeniable that this company has created a REAL PINBALL MACHINE!

Your so right! Wether you like what you see for your "personal tastes" or not. You should all be glad JJ has stepped up and given the industry a shake. Stern is making cooler games so everyone wins. When a theme comes out that you will like then you too will be happier than two years ago.

Win, Win, Win,

#6 7 years ago

It's looks so..... dull and slow.

#7 7 years ago

It doesn't look any slower than TZ or STTNG and they are great games. I guess the opinions will always vary though.

#8 7 years ago

i think the game looks fantastic, lighting and looks/art are well done. the shots look a little "dull and slow" as jalpert put it. lots of open space and the upper flipper shot seems kinda pointless. hopefully the lcd will do more and some of keith's awesome software will kick it up a notch. i have no horse in the WOZ race, but hopefully those who get it will enjoy....the lights still look awesome though

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

i don't ever comment on this stuff, or create banter based on speculation (my disclaimer)...
but i just saw the vid posted on jack's facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pinball.sales?ref=ts
looks so dope. so many shots. awesome ball launch pattern. crazy flow.
feel free to ask me where it is already, when it will ship, who's defecting, what's the holdup, will there be software, why the vendors disappeared, why jack doesn't own a high quality camera. whatever. the writing is on the facebook wall.
when i get mine, first game's on me.
-jon - reciprocal

Is there a link for those of us who don't have a facebook account???

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Whizzer:

Is there a link for those of us who don't have a facebook account???

Here you go

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

It doesn't look any slower than TZ or STTNG and they are great games. I guess the opinions will always vary though.

it looks A LOT like TZ which can be a good thing, too early to tell, but TZ is rated number two all time here on pinside with the most ratings of any pin so if it plays like TZ that may not be a bad thing at all. Have to say the two ramps remind me of the TZ ramps and the pop bumper location and of course the widebody may tend to play slower more side to side movement.

Some of the shots not making the ramp, probably had to do with a premature flip when the ball was not fully in position in contact with the flipper.

is ther any ball travel behind or around the ramps or underneath the upper playfields?

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

It's looks so..... dull and slow.

Speed is not what makes a game. There are a lot of people that do not like fast games. I like them all but my wife and kids do not like speed.

#13 7 years ago

I don't think it looks that slow but it doesn't look like anything special to me either.
Looks like it will be pretty fun to play but that music makes me want to smoke crack...and that aint good.

#14 7 years ago

Gameplaywise not impressed. Its like the playfield has different sectors that dont go fluid into each other.

Cant explain good in English. And i know the game is not ready, but this is exact the gameplay i was expecting when i first saw the whitewood video. I dont think its gonne change.

More modes, yes, but same speed, same shots, same shots lacking. Same miniplayfields. Same weird unwanted bumper in the left outlane.

I am a big fan of loops and ramps and i am not a fan of miniplayfields cause there is not 1 in pinballhistory thats fun for more then 5 games. This one has 2 borefests.

But....... it looks incredable, cant wait to see how the LCD turns out. And i hope next JJP machine has a theme that i like. Its save to say Jack was going for a stop and go machine. Ok, fair enough, tons of fans for that kind of games. But its just not for me.

That second theme must be the one which will bring me back to pinball.

#15 7 years ago

I like it, and may try to pull one off. What's the difference in the LE and regular?

Also, I'd be damn tempted to change out the flippers. I haven't liked the slippers since the beginning. May change my mind in person

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from DrainO:

I like it, and may try to pull one off. What's the difference in the LE and regular?
Also, I'd be damn tempted to change out the flippers. I haven't liked the slippers since the beginning. May change my mind in person

If I understood correctly the flippers have covers you can pull off but not sure anymore. Many changes.

#17 7 years ago

Does anyone know the dimensions of this game. I am wondering if the width is like Stern or 28.5 like the old Bally games. Personally I like the Stern cabinet width

#18 7 years ago

Wide boody w/b

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from B9:

Here you go » YouTube video

Thank you for the link. OMG...take it how you want. I am at a loss for words. Good luck to Jack.

#20 7 years ago

Lights look great but it looks really slow and clunky, but I like clunky games too. I glad it's coming out soon for all those who stayed in. I'm looking forward to playing one soon.

#21 7 years ago

Why didn't they use the actual voice clips from the movie?

#22 7 years ago

Yea, way too early to judge but... glad I made the decision I made and I'm sure Gary Stern will not be losing any sleep after watching that.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Ramjet:

Why didn't they use the actual voice clips from the movie?

Because nobody in the movie ever said "Extra Ball"?

#24 7 years ago

Very excited, yeah it's a risk to preorder, just like the stern le's have been, could be great, could stink.....but looks good so far

#25 7 years ago

I think the spinning house shot looks to be about the right amount of difficulty, hopefully it can't be mastered

#26 7 years ago

The game looks beautiful. Gameplay and video screen - too early to tell - wasn't that impressive from the clip. Looking at the video my gut is screaming next game Willy Wonka. I don't know why maybe I associate WOZ with Will Wonka from some reason.

Sell a willy wonka machine with a golden ticket in it for a trip to JJP factory or to be in the next game. Or randomly the game may spit out a golden ticket to be redeemed for some raffle or something.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

The game looks beautiful. Gameplay and video screen - too early to tell - wasn't that impressive from the clip.

I totally agree however it was nice to just see the game in action and hear some of the callouts even if its still a bit awkward. It will be cool to see how this progresses over time especially if we're treated to progress videos from time to time.

#28 7 years ago

Jack post on newsgroup this afternoon:

"Thanks for these comments. Nothing is going to change us to make
something less than what we all felt was the absolute best. You
probably will not be able to tell from any video the sound quality
which is really great.

Remember that so many little things have not been done on the game in
my office that are or have been done at our Midwest Campus or at
Keith's house on his game......there are still many details about this
game that have not been revealed and Gabe, don't ask, they will as
time goes along. We are in a good place at this point."

#29 7 years ago

Hope Jack is working on #2 now.

#30 7 years ago

I enjoyed the video (thanks for posting a non-facebook link B9) I just hope #2 is a standard body game. The theme doesn't matter that much to me. I know a lot of folks love widebodies, as evidenced by TZ's #1 status on ipdb, but a lot of us aren't crazy about the floaty gameplay no matter how much neat stuff it has on the playfield.

#31 7 years ago

Willy Wonka oh I hope not lol

#32 7 years ago

+1 on number two being a standard body. I think this game looks fun, but not a huge fan of widebodys.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

Hope Jack is working on #2 now.

I'm all for more updates, but let Jack have some privacy in the bathroom!!!!

#34 7 years ago

Bigerhl seen another video than he posted....he says "crazy flow"...I seen a clunk fest in the video I seen.....Beautiful game, hope for you guys that clunkfest was just the player, also looked pretty slow.......way slower than TZ

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

There are a lot of people that do not like fast games.

They would be called Chess fans.

#36 7 years ago

What's awesome is people are already making mods to make the game a lot better. Check out this one: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-3994-5

#37 7 years ago

Set any game to 5.5 degrees like the one in the vid and it will be just as slow.

#38 7 years ago

very happy jack's doing this for the community.
but also looking for pin #2.
after whatching the video i was like... ''ok something is about to happen'' well, it did nothing to me.

from what i saw, not a lot of flow, not sure about spining house (maybe there is more)
what the point of the upper right flipper?
music is nice for the first few games but after that i might go crazy.
hard to go up that ramp.
those tree look cool but blocking the flow.
hope animation will be different. and what is it with the score display? why so small?
is it me or the animation needs more vivid colors?

i understand the game's not finish yet but i don't thing it's gonna change much for me.

looking forward for game #2

#40 7 years ago

My observations:
-Need stronger flipper coils. I saw at least 5 times the ball didn't have enough juice to make it up the back right ramp.
-Call outs, blahhhh. I heard no original dialogue, even things that could have been taken from the movie were voice overs. This game will use some original audio right?
-what's with the inserts? They seem to be just going through there color changes and ALL on?

I'm trying to give this game the benefit of a Doubt, but I see it still has a way to go.
Looking forward to seeing more updates, and a mode active, beside the flippers active in what looks like attract mode.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Set any game to 5.5 degrees like the one in the vid and it will be just as slow.

How do you know it is at 5.5 degrees?

And if it is, why is it set up that way?

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

My observations:
-Need stronger flipper coils. I saw at least 5 times the ball didn't have enough juice to make it up the back right ramp.
-Call outs, blahhhh. I heard no original dialogue, even things that could have been taken from the movie were voice overs. This game will use some original audio right?
-what's with the inserts? They seem to be just going through there color changes and ALL on?
I'm trying to give this game the benefit of a Doubt, but I see it still has a way to go.
Looking forward to seeing more updates, and a mode active, beside the flippers active in what looks like attract mode.

*smacks self in forehead* ....why don't people understand the concept of a sneak-peak at an unfinished work in progress prototype!?

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

*smacks self in forehead* ....why don't people understand the concept of a sneak-peak at an unfinished work in progress prototype!?

I agree Greg, but at the same time, just how much of a "unfinished work in progress prototype" is it that we are looking at I wonder?

In some ways I hope that they still have a *ton* of work to do, because the LCD is extremely under-utilized and disappointing in this video.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

In some ways I hope that they still have a *ton* of work to do, because the LCD is extremely under-utilized and disappointing in this video.

b/c it's not a showcase video of the LCD Rob...

just another video showing off the lights, and a few of the shots, that's all.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I agree Greg, but at the same time, just how much of a "unfinished work in progress prototype" is it that we are looking at I wonder?

Rob, since you're now diggin' into TSPP...do you think the current WOZ video shows the creativity and talent of the guy who programmed that game!?! This vid CLEARLY not representative of what the game is going to be.

-Keith is known for killer light shows that are cool and informative. This demo clearly has the lights on a color changing loop....not representative of the final product.

-Keith is known for killer rules that are organic and fun. We don't see ONE MODE in this demo....again, clearly not representative of the final product.

-There are clearly no real sound FX in this demo. I'm guessing those "ding" chimes are placeholders, and when the voice calls are combined with LCD animation & sound FX, things will feel more complete.

-The only music we're hearing in this video is the "shooter groove" and "neutral mode" loop. Think of TSPP and how often the music changes for the hurry ups, multiballs, modes. That will eventually be in this game...I bet the music will even change for each upper playfield.

-We've seen tons of LCD animation from Jack already....none of it is in this video...but we know it exists and will be incorporated.

As for how "much" work there is to do...we don't know when the code in this video was created or where Keith is currently...or how fast he can change and add things. I'm not a programmer so I don't know what his deadlines and hurtles are. What I do know is that he programmed LOTR and TSPP, and they are achievements. If WOZ is *EQUAL* to those games, it will be worth playing. Since this game has Keith's full attention...I don't see how it wouldn't EXCEED those games in terms of what he's capable of.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Rob, since you're now diggin' into TSPP...do you think the current WOZ video shows the creativity and talent of the guy who programmed that game!?! This vid CLEARLY not representative of what the game is going to be.
-Keith is known for killer light shows that are cool and informative. This demo clearly has the lights on a color changing loop....not representative of the final product.
-Keith is known for killer rules that are organic and fun. We don't see ONE MODE in this demo....again, clearly not representative of the final product.
-There are clearly no real sound FX in this demo. I'm guessing those "ding" chimes are placeholders, and when the voice calls are combined with LCD animation & sound FX, things will feel more complete.
-The only music we're hearing in this video is the "shooter groove" and "neutral mode" loop. Think of TSPP and how often the music changes for the hurry ups, multiballs, modes. That will eventually be in this game...I bet the music will even change for each upper playfield.
-We've seen tons of LCD animation from Jack already....none of it is in this video...but we know it exists and will be incorporated.
As for how "much" work there is to do...we don't know when the code in this video was created or where Keith is currently...or how fast he can change and add things. I'm not a programmer so I don't know what his deadlines and hurtles are. What I do know is that he programmed LOTR and TSPP, and they are achievements. If WOZ is *EQUAL* to those games, it will be worth playing. Since this game has Keith's full attention...I don't see how it wouldn't EXCEED those games in terms of what he's capable of.

Meh, I agree with all of this but I don't know that it is really that responsive to what I posted. What does Keith have to do with the LCD? Maybe more than I think....I just don't know. What is shown on the LCD in this video concerns me. If you look at it, the LCD screen *is* being utilized in four different segments. Every time the ball hits one of the targets, you can see it light up in the LCD, showing you what is lit and what needs to be lit. All I'm saying is that I hope that there will be a LOT more to it than what we see here... and I certainly tend to believe that we will....but again, how much will Keith have to do with the video clips and how the LCD is utilized? I have ZERO doubt that the rules will be nothing less than excellent. He does amazing work.

I know we have seen video clips that will be integrated, but I imagine that those full video clips will only be used when balls are locked or between balls. So again, I just wonder if the LCD will be used any differently when the ball is actually in play like it is in this video?

#47 7 years ago

Another example of what wasn't in the video but will certainly be in the finished game, there were no sound effect or video changes when the ball was on the spinning house mini playfield! I really feel sorry for Jack, everybody wants to see progress, but when he shows it, people jump all over every little detail without knowing the context of what they are seeing,(remember the Rainbow plastic!!)

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

So again, I just wonder if the LCD will be used any differently when the ball is actually in play like it is in this video?

I imagine that with 'real' rules implemented, the screen will change constantly as you go through different modes.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

I imagine that with 'real' rules implemented, the screen will change constantly as you go through different modes.

That's exactly what I'm hoping too.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Meh, I agree with all of this but I don't know that it is really that responsive to what I posted. What does Keith have to do with the LCD? Maybe more than I think....I just don't know. What is shown on the LCD in this video concerns me. If you look at it, the LCD screen *is* being utilized in four different segments. Every time the ball hits one of the targets, you can see it light up in the LCD, showing you what is lit and what needs to be lit. All I'm saying is that I hope that there will be a LOT more to it than what we see here... and I certainly tend to believe that we will....but again, how much will Keith have to do with the video clips and how the LCD is utilized? I have ZERO doubt that the rules will be nothing less than excellent. He does amazing work.
I know we have seen video clips that will be integrated, but I imagine that those full video clips will only be used when balls are locked or between balls. So again, I just wonder if the LCD will be used any differently when the ball is actually in play like it is in this video?

What I know about programming can be fit on the head of a pin, but isn't Keith's job to take all the elements that others have worked on, playfield design,sounds, speech, music, animations, lighting, and combine them with game rules to make a cohesive, enjoyable experience? I assume that this task is only made even more herculean now with the endless lighting possibilities of the RGB inserts and GI!!

I'm pretty confident that we have only seen the tip of the iceberg so far.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
There are 143 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside