WOZ Gameplay - Owners chime in plz

By Deadpin

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

So today I had the opportunity to play a WOZ EC over at Marvelous Marvin's here in the Detroit area.
To start off with, yes I know it's a 'route' pin that has been beaten on by the public and spits out tickets (WTF? I'm here to play pinball, not redeem tickets for plastic necklaces - needless to say I made some little kids happy).
Anyway, I love how it looks, the light show, the display and the toys.... that said I was perplexed by gameplay, and hence this post.

I noticed the flippers seemed to struggle to get the ball to the upper ramps. left one may have been a little weaker and would hit that plastic leading to the witches castle and not even try to make it in, other one seemed to bounce off the plastic rather than go in unless it was a pretty solid hit. Normal for a new player? Note that I am not a pinball wizard by any stretch, just seemed harder than normal.

The game also was giving me a time limit and commanding me to hit the witch's castle - all the while feeding me an endless supply of balls as I would lose them, until the timer would run out. Struggled to get them up into that area, and wasn't even certain that was what was time limiting the game. Is this standard game play? Seems pretty confusing. Or is this some weird operator mode you can select?

Needless to say my interest in WOZ dwindled a bit based on this experience.

Thoughts?

#2 6 years ago

I own one and love the game. The light show within the game is great. The game has one of deepest rule sets. I've had games go on it for over an hour and still not get to "Over The Rainbow" level or stage. But there's lots to do and have fun with on the game. I have many friends that are less than avg. players and they love the game. Give it a little bit more time, maybe try a different one that is in better condition and or set up better.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Quadrat:

Give it a little bit more time, maybe try a different one that is in better condition and or set up better.

But out of the gate.. is that standard gameplay? Time limit with endless balls... "Hit the castle" repeated over and over?
And those upper ramps to the upper playfields - are they that difficult to hit? especially the left one to the witch's castle with the clear plastic 'roof'?

#4 6 years ago

It is in "pindemption" mode which is the ticket mode. It is timed gameplay with a simpler rule set.

I haven't played the WOZ at Marvin's since I own a WOZ but I have played their Hobbit and I felt the flippers were weak. On these pins flipper strength is configurable and I am guessing they have it set a bit low.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

But out of the gate.. is that standard gameplay? Time limit with endless balls... "Hit the castle" repeated over and over?

No, you can set it up that way..for tickets. Mine is set up for a three balls game.

Quoted from Deadpin:

And those upper ramps to the upper playfields - are they that difficult to hit? especially the left one to the witch's castle with the clear plastic 'roof'?

You can adjust the settings on the flippers. If I remember I bumped up my left flipper up one. So this is a easy fix.

#6 6 years ago

Aha!
Okay... Seems like they are doing a major disservice to the game by having it configured that way.
Interestingly enough it is also the only pin spitting out tickets (perhaps they think only kids will play it?).
Seemed entirely unclear and difficult to do what needed to be done - which is all the more baffling if you are aiming towards kids with the ticket feature.....

#7 6 years ago

Find another one that is not in ticket mode. That is not at all a good indicator of this game. The first time I played one at the Pinball Hall of Fame in Las Vegas. I was not at all impressed at all and actually very disappointed as I had made up my mind to get one. Once I had my own it is a totally different story. Once you learn the rules it is much better again.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

Needless to say my interest in WOZ dwindled a bit based on this experience.
Thoughts?

1. Ticket mode is a completely different game.
2. The coil power (including flippers) is adjustable.

Play another on in pin mode with decent flipper levels and you'll most-likely really enjoy it.

#9 6 years ago

Woz is my favorite game. It's really deep, challenging and beautiful. You have to play a home use one that's been properly set up. It is seriously one of the best ever.

#10 6 years ago

Sounds like you played "A" WOZ, but didnt get to play WOZ.

Best bet is if someone has or knows where in MI, a nice playing game,
spend an hour on it.

There is something very special and unique in this game, as others may share,
that playing a good WOZ is a Blast!

#11 6 years ago

Wow, I had not ever heard of that mode until this thread and was completely confused until I read the subsequent posts. Power is adjustable and so are many features of the game. I have been "tweaking" mine to get it just right. Had to adjust the roll overs, power to the castle flipper, outer lane drain posts. It's a blast to play. I have had mine since January and play it daily trying to unlock some of the more difficult features. I have a friend who when traveling always swings by to play a few games. What you're talking about is absolutely not representative of the game. Play it in a home setting, totally different. I won't even consider selling it at this point. Awesome game

#12 6 years ago

Thanks for the feedback - I suspected as much. Now to find another one somewhere nearby that is more representative and get a better assessment....

#13 6 years ago

To give you an idea of the depth of the game go to
http://papa.org/2015/05/18/wizard-of-oz-rulesheet/#_Toc419660872
Unless someone has a better idea

#14 6 years ago

I bad mouthed a WOZ for years.........Then I brought one home. I am/was a fool! JJP created one of the greatest games of all time. There are only a few games that can compete with it and given that, I cannot imagine ever selling it. The light show will blow you away!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 24.50
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 91.00
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 5.00
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Charles Town, WV
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games
Pinball Machine
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-gameplay-owners-chime-in-plz?hl=spg101 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.