WOZ gameplay is just crazy

By metallik

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I'm having a pretty good game... started emerald city multiball, working on starting rescue multiball. Got fireball frenzy going, and a ball wanders into the crystal ball VUK. Oh boy.. 3x scoring.. add a ball, with reverse flippers. Shot the ramp and the tornado mode is ready.

So, at this one point in time, I am *simultaneously*

- Trying to loop the house on the right-side upper playfield to start a valuable Muchkin mode
- Trying to bash the targets and door on the left-side upper playfield, then trying NOT to hit the lock but instead the door to start Rescue MB
- Trying to shoot rollovers on the main playfield for the ECMB awards (how many games have you aiming for rollovers??)
- Trying to shoot blue shots and avoid red ones on main playfield for the Fireball Frenzy mode
- Trying to shoot the ramp for ECMB jackpots and to keep working at the house (which needed 20 spins). I'd shoot the ramp whether it was blue or red (sorry scarecrow). House shot is easy in single ball, not so easy with multiball.
- All this going on with reversed flippers (and 3X scoring) .. yea, that's 3 playfields, 5 ball multiball and backwards flippers.

At this point, things like the colored horses and haunted modes don't even register in my head, there's so much else going on. They're still running, though. Once I got the Rescue MB going, I had additional jackpots to shoot at (green/yellow/red) and then the super upstairs. I also finally got the Munchkin gig going, which added even more shots to the mix, although by then the scarecrow was probably burnt and that mode done.

WOZ is incredibly intense in ways that no other game can be... the struggle to keep track of everything that's running AND know where to shoot to maximize the points from the stack, THEN actually making those shots under adverse conditions. How many machines can you play three playfields at once? With 5 balls? Oh, just wait til you get the "no hold" flipper mode... talk about a flailfest!

Non WOZ movie folks should look past the theme and play this game.. it's incredible. You need to know the rules going in - there's not enough indication on the playfield yet, but once you know how to get things going, it's off the hook.

#2 10 years ago

You're killing me! I'm still waiting for mine. Sounds like all I'd hoped for and more. Thanks for the excellent report!!!

#3 10 years ago

I am amazed that you kept track enough to write about it.

#4 10 years ago

After having this game dodge me for months, sneaking out the back of the the SPBM the day before I arrive, getting set up hours after I left Full Tilt, down for repairs on my birthday, etc... I finally got a chance to get some time on Bobby's LE about a week ago.

Wow.

HATE the theme, HATE the music, HATE the voice "talent", unimpressed with the screen and? Love. The. Game.

Hobbit might be unstoppable.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

After having this game dodge me for months, sneaking out the back of the the SPBM the day before I arrive, getting set up hours after I left Full Tilt, down for repairs on my birthday, etc... I finally got a chance to get some time on Bobby's LE about a week ago.
Wow.
HATE the theme, HATE the music, HATE the voice "talent", unimpressed with the screen and? Love. The. Game.

Dude, you just expressed HATE for three parts of WOZ, and stated that you're "unimpressed" with the greatest innovation in all of pinball: the LCD monitor.

Should I start building your cross or do you have it handled?

(Mentioning that you love the gameplay isn't gonna save you, I'm afraid.)

#6 10 years ago

Save him from what? What does your post have to do with WOZ gameplay?

Fatsquatch, please don't start with inflammatory comments. I don't care for the theme either, but that's not the point of this thread.

#7 10 years ago

I am not a fan of the theme either but that has not stopped me loving the game and playing it solid for the 5 days I have had it.

#8 10 years ago

I got a question. My drop target no longer comes up during the game play. In test mode it works ok. Is there a setting somewhere's for this ? I cant find it in the menu's.
Thanks
John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek ,Mi
269-979-3836

#9 10 years ago

Meta, what was your score at the end of that game?

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

I got a question. My drop target no longer comes up during the game play. In test mode it works ok. Is there a setting somewhere's for this ? I cant find it in the menu's.
Thanks
John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek ,Mi
269-979-3836

There is a microswitch under the playfield. you will likely find the 2 small screws are loose. Tighten them and it should fix the problem.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Save him from what? What does your post have to do with WOZ gameplay?
Fatsquatch, please don't start with inflammatory comments. I don't care for the theme either, but that's not the point of this thread.

I think he may still soar about the comment I made days ago, my own opinion, saying that I think putting an LCD in WOZ is the biggest innovation in pinball since the DMD. I don't understand still bringing that comment up as it was just an opinion. Some people don't think it is and that's fine and good on a site like Pinside as it just encourages more interesting discussions about pinball.

#12 10 years ago

most importantly, what was your final SCORE!

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think he's still soar about the comment I made days ago, my own opinion, saying that I think putting an LCD in WOZ is the biggest innovation in pinball since the DMD. I don't understand it either. Some people don't think it is and that's fine and good on a site like Pinside as it just encourages more interesting discussions about pinball.

Does JJP pay a license fee to the maker of New Canasta machines for the LCD idea?

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

1.) Save him from what? 2.) What does your post have to do with WOZ gameplay? 3.) Fatsquatch, please don't start with inflammatory comments. 4.) I don't care for the theme either, but that's not the point of this thread.

1.) Those who are deaf to the positive things some of us say about the game, and only angrily fixate on any criticisms we might have.

2.) Nothing. My post was related to navajas' post.

3.) The whole post was a joke. Don't be so serious. It's not good for you.

4.) I said nary a word about the theme. (For the record, I have no problem with the theme at all. I've loved the Wizard of Oz since I was a wee lad, and have no masculinity issues that prevent me from liking the theme on a pin.)

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think he's still soar about the comment I made days ago...

Yes, I have reached great altitudes over the last few days.

Wait...what?

#16 10 years ago

Metallik ....glad you are loving the game....I swear the more I play it, the more addictive it is....with 1.22, the game is really taking great shape, and an absolute shot makers dream ( or nightmare). stacking modes for mb can be approached many different ways...easily my favorite part of the game.... Now time to post some scores.

I actually like the theme ( don't get the hate, but can understand a " not for me") ...The Hobbit is not a theme that interests me, but am certainly going to play it, and not just slam the game because of it.

Everything just "fits" for great gameplay, and like nothing else out there....period

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

Yes, I have reached great altitudes over the last few days.
Wait...what?

Legally, I hope.......
I'm thinking about heading there in about an hour......

#18 10 years ago

Final score was 440K .. the high score board is squashed between 460K at the top and 422K at the bottom (three of mine and KEF default 450K) I need to break out of the 400s! That game was meh except for the one big stack.

I'm running 1.23.. I know about the lock 3 insert bug so doesn't bother me. Will be nice when that works, and the Twister insert lights when the tornado is ready. Would also suggest strobing the blue Winged Monkey inserts, and they yellow one at the back to help draw attention for novice players.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Final score was 440K .. the high score board is squashed between 460K at the top and 422K at the bottom (three of mine and KEF default 450K) I need to break out of the 400s! That game was meh except for the one big stack.
I'm running 1.23.. I know about the lock 3 insert bug so doesn't bother me. Will be nice when that works, and the Twister insert lights when the tornado is ready. Would also suggest strobing the blue Winged Monkey inserts, and they yellow one at the back to help draw attention for novice players.

Nice score!!!...I'm stuck in the 3-5's myself....went back to 1.22 because the blinking shoot again light was distracting me....I've got plenty to practice on at this version however, so I'm very patient for next release...

I think the best question is.....have you or anyone ever completed TNPLH more than once?...that freakin thing just guts me everytime.....I'll get to the last stage, and f'n drain every time....geesh...

#20 10 years ago

So Larry, is that your game that you're playing? If so, I'm glad it arrived for you.
Howie

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Do you have a ball saver on? None of the ones I play on location do, and it definitely impacts the amount of money I put in.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

I would not use the word hate, but I don't exactly care for the WOZ theme. But the gameplay rocks. I love the attention to detail they've put into the game like the balloon/toto outlanes, crystal ball etc..

#23 10 years ago

The game is NUTS. If you think it's slow then just increase the pitch. I did and it's fast. Stacking the modes is a blast. It's that build up of suspense that keeps me going. It is unlike any other pin out there. I don't care for the constant "This pin vs. this pin" comments. That don't mean a thing when they are ALL different. Woz, is totally unique and like the theme or not its very well executed. I look forward to more of Keith's magic on the code. Right now it's amazing.

#24 10 years ago

I agree, the game play in WOZ keeps me coming back for more!

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

The game is NUTS. If you think it's slow then just increase the pitch. I did and it's fast. Stacking the modes is a blast. It's that build up of suspense that keeps me going. It is unlike any other pin out there. I don't care for the constant "This pin vs. this pin" comments. That don't mean a thing when they are ALL different. Woz, is totally unique and like the theme or not its very well executed. I look forward to more of Keith's magic on the code. Right now it's amazing.

Agreed.....

#26 10 years ago

Yes I did enable 5sec ballsaver, game was pretty brutal at the beginning, but might turn it off down the road. Agree on steepness.. the flippers are fine and it plays nice and fast. Howie, yep it's my game, got it a few weeks ago

#27 10 years ago

I put a 5 sec ball save on mine as well.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

I put a 5 sec ball save on mine as well.

Me too......

#29 10 years ago

My recent game went like this....

Ball took 5 tries to plunge into shooter lane, finally makes it & upon first or second flip the ball gets stuck on the recessed drop target at the top of the PF. I wait like its a F'n game of Avengers, it goes into ball search, drop target pops up & ball goes SDTFM

I curse Jack, blame Alex & consider sending a drunken PM to Lloyd

OTOH

Software is really legit so far I can't lie.

#30 10 years ago

I guess a better word for my opinion of the LCD is "underwhelmed" instead of "unimpressed". It could very well be familiarity with the screen, presentation and code, but I didn't find it made obtaining information about your progress any easier or more intuitive than a DMD. That said, the animations were pretty cool. I consider it a proof of concept and wonder / worry / look forward to what they do with the tech for Hobbit.

Also, despite any possible insinuations, my distaste for theme has nothing to do with machismo, and very much more to do with having watched that damn movie 100+ times as a child since my parents loved it so much. The recanned music and craptastic voice acting is awful regardless. The playfield, lighting, sound effects and game play are all really remarkable.

It was, simply, way more fun than I expected.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

My recent game went like this....
Ball took 5 tries to plunge into shooter lane, finally makes it & upon first or second flip the ball gets stuck on the recessed drop target at the top of the PF. I wait like its a F'n game of Avengers, it goes into ball search, drop target pops up & ball goes SDTFM
I curse Jack, blame Alex & consider sending a drunken PM to Lloyd
OTOH
Software is really legit so far I can't lie.

You should curse the person that doesn't know how to adjust a drop target.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

You should curse the person that doesn't know how to adjust a drop target.

Lol it was a joke regarding the blame & PM's but it appears I did forget the smiley face at the end

#33 10 years ago

I unboxed my WOZECLE today, and I love it! No I need to learn the diff modes and rules but as of now I'm just enjoying playing, it's a very beautiful and fun game!

#34 10 years ago

The gameplay on WOZ is like nothing I have ever seen or experienced in over 45 years of playing, it's just completely different in a very,very good way

#35 10 years ago

I year ya! There's just so much going on and its really cool. I like how each section of the playfield has its own set of modes, some multiple, and rules for each. The crystal ball area has 5 modes that are each unique, the Munckin playfield has 4, the castle has its own set of rules, then there are the rules for ECMB and the witch area. Once you start stacking these modes wow do things get nuts in a good way.

Looking forward to seeing what the next code update brings!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 5.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

13,000 (OBO)
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 16.95
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.50
9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 91.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-gameplay-is-just-crazy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.