Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by B9
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

On Saturday the NEPL (New England Pinball League) had their finals for the winter league play. Arriving the day before was WoZ. I played a few games and would like to share my impressions.

First, as a heads up: I have been critical in the past about JJP on this forum. I am a Stern supporter, because I enjoy their games and they've done a lot to keep the hobby alive out in the field. I don't like that Jack bashed Stern's games in order to sell his own. However whether WoZ is a good game or not has nothing to do with that, so I went into it with an open mind.

The first thing I noticed about the game is how goddamn pretty it is. Bright, vivid colors. It's definitely up their with CV as far as great art. All the metal parts shine, the clear on the playfield looks shiny and thick. Cabinet printing doesn't show pixelation or artifacts of a digital printing process (although it could been digital for all I know). It looks great. A drawback, though, is that the GI is not exposed bulbs but instead illuminated plastic tubes. They aren't nearly as bright as traditional bulbs and the arcade had put additional lighting to show the game off better. Color changing, high quality, strobing LEDs are the best. They should be standard on all pinball machines.

As far as the design of the game; it's definitely a different style widebody than I'm used to. It's got a lot of targets; the design appears to be a modern take on the 'target shooting' style game of the 70s and 80s. There's a satisfying ramp but the rest of the game is about precise shots. This isn't my favorite gametype but I definitely appreciate the skill required. It has the potential to be a very fun game, I think. One thing I can't stand is the upper playfields. Full sized flippers on small playfields remind me of Gottlieb System 3 games. Just feels mismatched. I'd prefer smaller flippers, I think it's more fun that way. Outlanes are interesting. I guess the idea is to save your ball by completing targets on the left hand side, although that isn't in place yet. Flippers aren't snappy but you can make all the shots.

The software just isn't there. The lighting doesn't really direct you to what you need to do; no modes yet and just little things need to be done. You can plunge short so the ball goes back to the plunger and earn points, so if you tried to put the game in a tourney now you could just short plunge your way to a high score. The game lost track of the ball when it was locked in the top left playfield. (Bowen jokingly called it 'Ball Search mulitball!')

Pricing is insane. I can't believe games are $1.50. It will for sure make it while the game is new, but I worry about what this means. People are not going to pay $1.50 a game if they're not pinheads, long term.

The LCD screen is cool. I feel like we'll have to wait on this one, it's nothing special just yet but could be cool. I was hoping for an LCD with a similar footprint as current generation DMDs, allowing the backbox to still be large artwork.

Anyways, the game at PWA is a prototype still; so perhaps there will be changes yet to come. I don't think the game will 'change pinball forever'. But it could be a great game.

#2 11 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Anyways, the game at PWA is a prototype still; so perhaps there will be changes yet to come. I don't think the game will 'change pinball forever'. But it could be a great game.

Thanks for the analysis, I too support Stern, he deserves a lot of credit for keeping pinball alive, Woz doesn't have to change pinball forever, just take another step forward and hopefully it will be a great game...

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Pricing is insane. I can't believe games are $1.50. It will for sure make it while the game is new, but I worry about what this means. People are not going to pay $1.50 a game if they're not pinheads, long term.

Ummm you realize pricing it up to the operator and adjustable right?

Thanks for the comments but do we really need a new thread..?

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Thanks for the comments but do we really need a new thread..?

Sure, why not...please post more reviews of first impressions..

#5 11 years ago

Agreed the more opinions the better. Thank you for posting.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

The LCD screen is cool. I feel like we'll have to wait on this one, it's nothing special just yet but could be cool. I was hoping for an LCD with a similar footprint as current generation DMDs, allowing the backbox to still be large artwork.

To me, this is like saying (20 years ago): "I wish DMDs were narrower and just displayed alphanumeric characters."

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

To me, this is like saying (20 years ago): "I wish DMDs were narrower and just displayed alphanumeric characters."

I disagree. The DMD on Williams machines was the same size/took up about the same footprint as the two-row alphanumeric displays on Funhouse/BoP etc.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

On Saturday the NEPL (New England Pinball League) had their finals for the winter league play. Arriving the day before was WoZ. I played a few games and would like to share my impressions.
First, as a heads up: I have been critical in the past about JJP on this forum. I am a Stern supporter, because I enjoy their games and they've done a lot to keep the hobby alive out in the field. I don't like that Jack bashed Stern's games in order to sell his own. However whether WoZ is a good game or not has nothing to do with that, so I went into it with an open mind.
The first thing I noticed about the game is how goddamn pretty it is. Bright, vivid colors. It's definitely up their with CV as far as great art. All the metal parts shine, the clear on the playfield looks shiny and thick. Cabinet printing doesn't show pixelation or artifacts of a digital printing process (although it could been digital for all I know). It looks great. A drawback, though, is that the GI is not exposed bulbs but instead illuminated plastic tubes. They aren't nearly as bright as traditional bulbs and the arcade had put additional lighting to show the game off better. Color changing, high quality, strobing LEDs are the best. They should be standard on all pinball machines.
As far as the design of the game; it's definitely a different style widebody than I'm used to. It's got a lot of targets; the design appears to be a modern take on the 'target shooting' style game of the 70s and 80s. There's a satisfying ramp but the rest of the game is about precise shots. This isn't my favorite gametype but I definitely appreciate the skill required. It has the potential to be a very fun game, I think. One thing I can't stand is the upper playfields. Full sized flippers on small playfields remind me of Gottlieb System 3 games. Just feels mismatched. I'd prefer smaller flippers, I think it's more fun that way. Outlanes are interesting. I guess the idea is to save your ball by completing targets on the left hand side, although that isn't in place yet. Flippers aren't snappy but you can make all the shots.
The software just isn't there. The lighting doesn't really direct you to what you need to do; no modes yet and just little things need to be done. You can plunge short so the ball goes back to the plunger and earn points, so if you tried to put the game in a tourney now you could just short plunge your way to a high score. The game lost track of the ball when it was locked in the top left playfield. (Bowen jokingly called it 'Ball Search mulitball!')

Excellent review IMHO. I am about 90% with you on most of this and I have a WOZ on order. The code is in such infancy, its really shouldn't be out there, but that's not my decision. I am staying on, but I do not see this game in my house for at least a few months.

From Jack's talk this past Saturday there are supposed to be 14+ modes, etc, etc. Right now, there is a taunting witch and one multiball. Two of the magnets are not really programmed and the controlled lighting just came into place this past weekend (which is a huge help when trying to play the game). Its just way too early.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

drawback, though, is that the GI is not exposed bulbs but instead illuminated plastic tubes. They aren't nearly as bright as traditional bulbs and the arcade had put additional lighting to show the game off better.

I noticed this too. I played WOZ last Saturday and noticed the same thing. It seems there are just not enough GI lights. Right now all of the inserts are flashing so it's really not much of an issue. However once the inserts get programed and they are not all on, the game will be dark. At least that's the way it looks now.

Pappy

#10 11 years ago

And to think he was going to send these to people in March with no modes is silly.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

I noticed this too. I played WOZ last Saturday and noticed the same thing. It seems there are just not enough GI lights. Right now all of the inserts are flashing so it's really not much of an issue. However once the inserts get programed and they are not all on, the game will be dark. At least that's the way it looks now.
Pappy

The game, GI-wise, is much better now that all of the insert lights are not cycling and waving around during gameplay. In a dark setting, the game was extremely hard to play because of this. Now, with the newest code, the GI seems fine. Also, the guidance for what shots to make are starting to take form and they are pretty cool effects using mixes of colors for the LED's.

Again, it is really too bad that this game is getting bad press for some of these issues that basically go away as features start to appear. Imagine trying to play AC/DC or any other modern game while in attract mode? Again, I understand the criticism as it is warranted.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

And to think he was going to send these to people in March with no modes is silly.

I agree. However, the code really seems to be picking up speed. I am quite optimistic.

#13 11 years ago

I played the same WOZ on saturday (and tied for first place with my son in the B div of that league final... how awesome is that?).

I'm going to take a slightly different direction from the OP. I am not nearly as interested in WOZ the game as I am the JJP platform. That is what I focused on while playing it.

He's right about the artwork. It's gorgeous. It isn't just a collage of movie images like the recent stern games. It isn't an overload like AC/DC. There is a coherence to the playfield that makes it really pop. I dig it.

The lighting control is where this platform shines. The software isn't there yet but the potential is obvious. Full RGB control of every insert. Full intensity control of every insert. It was hard to tell if the intensity changes are going to be smooth. They did look a little choppy at times but that may be a software issue. They weren't using the LEDs in an intuitive way but that is definitely a software issue. If they dial the light show in well this is going to be a gorgeous game. It is at least a level above Avengers in capability and design.

I'm not a huge fan of the LCD but to be fair I'm not a big fan of DMDs either. The LCD is going to be all about how they use it. It's too early to tell yet. At this point it's not a detraction but it's not a major plus either. It's just sort of novel until we see how they plan on using the LCD once the software is further along.

The game did not do much to show off the audio. It has very few callouts and the music is pretty basic. Still pending, I guess, so I can't give much opinion here. The volume was not that high so no idea on the quality of the amp.

I was a bit nervous about ramps at the very back of the playfield and the flippers' ability to hit them. The flippers were adequate and were hitting those ramps just fine. They weren't hitting them hard, though, so I wonder a bit about those ramp shots after a while on location. Are the flippers still going to be able to hit those distant ramps after 10,000 plays?

IMO the platform has some serious potential. If they can make it to games two and three we could see some very cool stuff. This is an impressive start.

#14 11 years ago

Any comments on the invisiglass? I have not heard many of the reviews touch on how the glass looks.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

Any comments on the invisiglass? I have not heard many of the reviews touch on how the glass looks.

I have it on my POTC. It is very nice. Expensive upgrade.

It is pretty much a must on WOZ with the reflection of the large monitor.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

Probably makes little difference on a brand new game. I didn't notice anything different about it other than that it's a new sheet of glass.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

I disagree. The DMD on Williams machines was the same size/took up about the same footprint as the two-row alphanumeric displays on Funhouse/BoP etc.

I disagree with your disagreement. The point is, each new generation of score displays (bulbs-->reels-->alphanumeric-->DMD-->LCD) offers qualitative advances. To want to limit LCD to DMD size (basically, a higher-res color DMD) would be an incremental advance and not take real advantage of what the display mode has to offer. (Stuff like full-size movie clips, all player scores visible at all times, real "instant info" display--DMD versions aren't really "instant" are they?, simultaneous display of progress toward various goals, a useful set-up/diagnostics mode, tutorials, etc. None of these would be as effective (and most not possible except with too-small-to-read text) on a DMD-sized screen.

And why insist on a small display so you can have more static artwork on the backglass, when you can have full-sized static or dynamic artwork? (Please, just turn the damned thing on if the artwork means that much to you when it's not being played! )

#18 11 years ago

Pinball 2000's OS features are a good example of what can be done with a full video display rather than a couple of buttons and a DMD.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from ChadTower:

The lighting control is where this platform shines. The software isn't there yet but the potential is obvious. Full RGB control of every insert. Full intensity control of every insert.

I'm an RGB-nerd via another completely unrelated hobby, programmable outdoor light displays: THIS is super exciting to me as well.

I can barely look at upper playfields during chaotic pinball play , so I KNOW I'll never be able to see the LCD in its glory, but I'm also excited for this- mostly from a spectator standpoint.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Pappy

There are 31 GI lights on the machine. Right now for testing
purposes, I have them running at minimum power. In fact,
all the LEDs on the machine are running at 36.5% of their
maximum capacities.

JRD

#21 11 years ago

You really should bump those things up to 37%. Don't cheap out on people paying $1.50 a game!

#22 11 years ago

I personally love PIN2k, wish they would incorporate the LCD in gameplay like they did with PIN2K
that would have been awesome

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from compujohn:

There are 31 GI lights on the machine. Right now for testing
purposes, I have them running at minimum power. In fact,
all the LEDs on the machine are running at 36.5% of their
maximum capacities.

This is reassuring. Thanks for letting me know.

Pappy

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from Profgrif:

I personally love PIN2k, wish they would incorporate the LCD in gameplay like they did with PIN2K
that would have been awesome

When i heard about that woz would have lcd i thaught this was the plan. And like you i was very excited about that.

I am a bit disspointed with what we have seen so far regarding the use of the lcd on woz.

#25 11 years ago

Pins near me cost 1.75 or 2 bucks

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I'm an RGB-nerd via another completely unrelated hobby, programmable outdoor light displays: THIS is super exciting to me as well.

NC State for sure...

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

NC State for sure...

Stick to defending every criticism of WoZ- you're much better at it than the personal insults....

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Stick to defending every criticism of WoZ- you're much better at it than the personal insults....

Hehe...stick to the Rgp Woz bashing, over and over, the "best pin ever", and why is NC State an insult?....my cousins went there...

#29 11 years ago

Rule #1 of Pinside - Be nice, you guys are not being nice and it is not welcome.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

Rule #1 of Pinside - Be nice, you guys are not being nice and it is not welcome.

eh..... you're right.

I have a sarcastic sense of humor that if oftentimes indistinguishable from looking like being an a-hole

There's too much good info/support/etc here to crap it up with petty bs.

I apologize.

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from ChadTower:

Probably makes little difference on a brand new game. I didn't notice anything different about it other than that it's a new sheet of glass.

I find this to be far from true. When I am at a collectors house or a show and there is invisiglass next to a game with regular glass, its night and day. It looks like there is no glass on at all. If this glass was on a bay window, you would need to dig a whole for the birds.

#32 11 years ago

I was at a guy's house a couple weeks ago and there was Invisiglass on one game and regular glass on the left/right games beside it. It was only a minor difference over the scratch free regular glass in those games. Yes, it was better, but not by much over new standard glass.

I didn't even notice it was abnormal glass when playing WOZ on saturday. It looked like new glass on a new game usually does.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

When i heard about that woz would have lcd i thaught this was the plan. And like you i was very excited about that.
I am a bit disspointed with what we have seen so far regarding the use of the lcd on woz.

Have you seen the new mode progress screenshots? That seems like a good use (along with the diagnostics/setup screens). Pin2k was cool, but a regular large hi-res display can be great for a deep game. I wonder how much tutorial stuff they'll add in for WOZ.

#34 11 years ago

The mode progress status was too far up onto the head to be usable unless you stop play to look way up. IMO they need to move that into at least into the bottom half of the LCD or it becomes useless to a lot of players. It's a good idea but as of now is in the wrong location.

#35 11 years ago

My style of play has me looking at the playfield all the time. I hardly look at the DMD unless there is a video mode, it's the end of ball, or I have captured the ball with the flipper.
When I played WOZ I found myself doing the exact same thing. At first I found myself wanting to look up to see what was on the screen all the time, but then I realized if I played it like a DMD, I was fine.
So, for me, it's status quo. Capture the ball with the flipper, look up and see the score, and what I need to shoot for next. With this new shot screen, all you need to do is capture the ball, and then hit the other flipper to see the shot screen. Brilliant.

#36 11 years ago

I hate to even perpetuate this discussion, but I had a chance to play to same machine tonight.

First off, it's just gorgeous. But we all knew this. I walked in the door and the owner, right away said that if I waited, she would have 9.4 uploaded in a minute. My kids and I tried a "before" game, but unfortunately, there was a glitch uploading, so we play the same game everyone else did last week.

My humble impressions: The flipper controversy is ridiculous. The long shots just need to incredibly clean. Touch anything on the way up, and you're not going to make the shot--it's that simple. My skills are minimal, and I managed to hit the ramp 5 times in a row, using both flippers. My 8 year old son did the same.

Aside from 3 other pinheads at the arcade, the rest of the customers were strictly general public. What was really cool is that the game pulled in at least 2 families that I saw, and definitely attracted the attention of women and kids. I can't remember the last time I saw kids other than mine hanging on the rails. The game definitely has potential to expand the hobby.

Oh yeah--everyone playing had a stupid smile on their faces the whole time. Was fun to see.

#37 11 years ago

Oh yeah--pricing was down to a buck a game.

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from albummydavis:

My humble impressions: The flipper controversy is ridiculous.

It's all how it's set up. I've played one that easy to hit the ramp...played another it was very hard.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It's all how it's set up. I've played one that easy to hit the ramp...played another it was very hard.

But in the end, he is right, the controversy is ridiculous, because if its just how it is set up, that means the machine has the capability to be fine.

#40 11 years ago

I played the game yesterday at Pin Wiz, it was still at .90. Sarah said she would get the .94 update today. It was set at a buck for 3 balls.

Game played great, and was a work of art to look at. My father and I played about 12 games of it and loved it, even in it's infant code state. I'm really looking forward to getting my game in a few months.

#41 11 years ago

I can't wait to play one of these with the new code. *paging doughslingers*

#42 11 years ago

I think this method of "public beta" for pinball machines that Jersey Jack is employing for the zardoz has some obvious drawbacks. The negative press on one side comes from the lack of features implemented (natural for a beta but it still leaves impressions on people) and on the other side you have much negative feedback coming in regards to the long delays and perceived lack of progress in development. It is somewhat of a catch 22 for Jersey Jack, they can keep things closer to the vest and keep excitement building but get flak for lack of updates or they can put unfinished games out for public testing and underwhelm and deflate the bubble around the release of the game... I do not envy them right now and wish them much luck with this project, I can't wait to play the finished product (even if it's a dollar fifty).

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from maldoror:

I can't wait to play the finished product (even if it's a dollar fifty).

Are there any pins in Idaho Springs? Noticed the micro brew on the way up last month...

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Are there any pins in Idaho Springs? Noticed the micro brew on the way up last month...

not since my place has been closed for the past 4 months. Re opening as a bar restaurant arcade concept w/ 18 pins (the ones in my profile) and around 12 classic vids. Otherwise no there are no pins at all on location in town.

#45 11 years ago

Are those shirts ready yet Corey?

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from albummydavis:

I hate to even perpetuate this discussion, but I had a chance to play to same machine tonight.
First off, it's just gorgeous. But we all knew this. I walked in the door and the owner, right away said that if I waited, she would have 9.4 uploaded in a minute. My kids and I tried a "before" game, but unfortunately, there was a glitch uploading, so we play the same game everyone else did last week.
My humble impressions: The flipper controversy is ridiculous. The long shots just need to incredibly clean. Touch anything on the way up, and you're not going to make the shot--it's that simple. My skills are minimal, and I managed to hit the ramp 5 times in a row, using both flippers. My 8 year old son did the same.
Aside from 3 other pinheads at the arcade, the rest of the customers were strictly general public. What was really cool is that the game pulled in at least 2 families that I saw, and definitely attracted the attention of women and kids. I can't remember the last time I saw kids other than mine hanging on the rails. The game definitely has potential to expand the hobby.
Oh yeah--everyone playing had a stupid smile on their faces the whole time. Was fun to see.

Working with Sarah to get .94ut installed on the game today. It has a bunch of new stuff in it As soon as she is done, swing by and play again Take video.

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Working with Sarah to get .94ut installed on the game today. It has a bunch of new stuff in it As soon as she is done, swing by and play again Take video.

Pinchroma can you take a video for us?Thanks

#48 11 years ago

I'm out for the day. Soon as I get home later ill take a quick vid of a few small features.

#49 11 years ago

Any video?

#50 11 years ago

video, picture , drawing

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 16.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.50
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-first-impressions-at-pinball-wizard-arcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.