Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

woz_psu (resized).jpg
woz-boards (resized).jpg
9234D3F2-43FD-4BEA-979A-7C7EDD16BE75 (resized).jpeg

There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Assuming the light boards are swapped out in a first run woz, any issues to look out for? Thanks

#2 6 years ago

I don't own one but I think most of the bugs have been worked out. A pinsider who owns one can confirm for you.

#3 6 years ago

I have one it's not as bad as they make it out to be it's also not perfect. I have occasion lock ups and a light board or two go out each year but solid game.

#4 6 years ago

I bought one that ended up having a decent amount of issues. A few were simple tweaks, a few were bad boards, all were too much work for my newbie pinball brain. Sold it to a pinball tech and he has it running flawlessly.

I would probably buy one with 2.0 boards just to be safe. Good luck!

#5 6 years ago

I just wouldn't buy one with original 5v boards unless all of the light boards have been replaced. All of those games should have exhibited issues by now. I think around September of 2013 JJP switched to 7.5 unbuffered boards, then moved to 7.5 buffered boards and finally to the 2.0 board system that is used in all JJP games today.

Many owners of 7.5 unbuffered and buffered games have never had board issues. Going on over 4 years here with 7.5 unbuffered boards and have never, knock on wood ECLE apron, had an issue.

#6 6 years ago

I bought a 12/2015 production Woz last week. No problems thus far.

#7 6 years ago

I have an October '13 ECLE, apart from a new motherboard early on I've had no serious issues (touch wood!).

#8 6 years ago

I have been waiting for used market now I gotta find 2nd gen boards? What's the date on standards that are 2.0 boards, when did they make the switch?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from oropuro:

I have been waiting for used market now I gotta find 2nd gen boards? What's the date on standards that are 2.0 boards, when did they make the switch?

Pretty sure it was ~DEC15, 2016

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Assuming the light boards are swapped out in a first run woz, any issues to look out for? Thanks

I am going to stay out of this one I got crucified on the last thread about my knowledge and research I did on the New 2.0 chip , power supply , and monitor . PM me if you want . Good luck

#11 6 years ago

Lockups. The first year ECLE (2013 and possibly part of 2014) lock up with any version past 5.xx if you leave them on.

JJP is supposedly renewing efforts to get to the root of the problem and fix it, though, but I wouldn't bank on it until it's actually fixed.

The early ECLE can be a hassle, but the best thing it has going is that beautiful direct print cabinet. JJP should bring it back and make that an exclusive CE feature on all new JJP. It might convince me to buy a CE. The direct print cab on ECLE WoZ is THAT nice.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Many owners of 7.5 unbuffered and buffered games have never had board issues. Going on over 4 years here with 7.5 unbuffered boards and have never, knock on wood ECLE apron, had an issue.

I have a game with a build date of 10/24/2013 and it has the 7.5V un-buffered boards and I have only had two occasions in 4+ years of owning my WOZECLE with an LED light board lockup and a simple re-boot cleared the issue both times.

Gord

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

I have a game with a build date of 10/24/2013 and it has the 7.5V un-buffered boards and I have only had two occasions in 4+ years of owning my WOZECLE with an LED light board lockup and a simple re-boot cleared the issue both times.
Gord

That's great to hear. I think my game was built around the same time, haven't had any issues. Good to hear a reboot will clear lock ups if they occur.

I use Wizards Mist and Shine on the playfield to reduce the chance of static build up (stuff works great on all games) and just in case have WOZ and all my pins plugged into APC surge protectors which plug into APC voltage regulators.

#14 6 years ago

I am the original owner of a Sept. 13 build WOZECLE. I had a lot of early light board failures within the first year. After replacement of the failed boards with buffered 5V and 7V boards, I have had only two other GI boards fail and one lockup in the past three years. Playfield still looks perfect, so I got a good one.

It really depends on each pin. If you buy an early build, try to get one from someone you know and trust will give you a straight answer on the history of the pin.

#15 6 years ago

I would get one with 2.0 boards or plan on installing the 2.0 kit when it becomes available.

#16 6 years ago

I must be the exception. I had an early WOZ and never had a light board issue. The crystal ball required replacement once. Really reliable game for me.

#17 6 years ago

I have a July '13 game and I have an early playfield that has the art separation causing flakes to pop off around pop bumpers. I would avoid if one of these. Not sure when they switched manufacturers.

#18 6 years ago

no problems whatsoever, light boards were replaced.

#19 6 years ago

Original owner of WOZ ECLE #41 here built in July 2013. The 5V boards did create issues but JJP kindly swapped them all out for the unbuffered 7V ones in the fall of 2013. Since then I've had a couple fail and gotten buffered replacements. The last failure was probably two or three years ago so nothing at all to complain about for a long time. And yes, the direct print and clearcoated cabinet is fabulous.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from mrbillishere:

And yes, the direct print and clearcoated cabinet is fabulous.

Don't forget the wood apron, too! ECLE is the best looking model, IMO.

I have a late 2013 WoZ ECLE with 7.5V buffered light boards. Never had an issue outside of minor switch adjustment in my 15 months of ownership.

#21 6 years ago

Have an original with all 5V light boards. Other than a shaker motor that went bad early on, I have had zero issues (including the light boards).

#22 6 years ago

I have a late Sept 2013 ECLE with 7.5v unbuffered boards. I had three light boards fail within the first year and all were replaced with the buffered 7.5v versions. I have not had any locks up, light board failures or other problems since.

#23 6 years ago

I own one of the first batch of WOZ ECLE with the original 5v boards, but thanks to the great support of Jersey Jack, all were eventually replaced with the 5v buffered boards and I haven't had a single light board go out since. I think the important part is having the buffered boards whether they are 5v or 7.5v. WOZ remains one of my favorite pins!

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I use Wizards Mist and Shine

Have not heard of this product, where do you get it?

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Have not heard of this product, where do you get it?

Amazon sells it, great stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Wizards-01214-Mist-N-Shine-Professional-Detailer/dp/B002U729UA/ref=sr_1_1

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26 6 years ago

I have original with 5v boards for 4 years.

Los 2 small boards, JJP sent out immediately, and no issues since then.

#27 6 years ago

Mine was the 25th machine built. Initially, I had to replace, maybe, 5 boards. No problems the last two years. Even out of warranty, JJP was great in sending me free replacement boards as long as I sent the old ones back to them.

#29 6 years ago

I owned an ECLE for a couple years. Picked it up right from the factory.

I love JJP, but I’d avoid the first run WOZ games. It’s a great game, however I’d wait for one with the 2.0 boards.

With mine, I had one of the original Bader playfields. So that had issues. I had a light board go bad within the first few days (free replacement). The playfield had issues within months (Jack sent a new unpopulated one). I had other boards go bad, and I had to buy spares because the most frustrating thing was when one would go out right before I was having people over (grrrrr).

The last straw for me was the months of debugging the resets. I didn’t play a game just to play for more than 4 months. They were all debugging games with what looked like random resets. New boards, still resetting. Finally I was taking videos looking for the issue, and the left VUK would kick, the game would reset (not really), and then it would come back on when the ball was about half way down the left flipper. The left wireform was touching the connector on the back of the crystal ball. So I took it out, and the connector was solid as a rock. So I cut out the hot glue on it, and most of the pins in the CB circuit board came with it. The pins were just resting against the board, and would occasionally lose connection due to vibration. A disconnecting and reconnecting crystal ball will reset the I/O board. So a defect (assembly of the ramp touching the connector), and I had to buy a new screen and cable (I was out of warranty so I paid). All the time working with Frank. All the parts. By then I was soured and I sold the game a little while after that.

They worked out a lot of stuff since then. And I did like the game, but when all that goes on, it just wasn’t worth it to me.

#31 6 years ago

What do you guys use it for? Cleaning before waxing?

Clean with naphtha, then use Mist-N-Shine. Beautiful polish and super fast!

#32 6 years ago

Last time I said buy the 2.0 system and I got lynched. So this time I will say it again buy the 2.0 system if you want less issues. I never learn.

#33 6 years ago

2.0 all the way! JJP should make the 2.0 retrofit kit incredibly cheap for all the prior generation owners, maybe even free to all those with the original 5v boards.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

2.0 all the way! JJP should make the 2.0 retrofit kit incredibly cheap for all the prior generation owners, maybe even free to all those with the original 5v boards.

Just curious, what do you consider to be "incredibly cheap?"

#35 6 years ago

A 2.0 retrofit kit would be something that may interest some current WOZ owners, but I do not think that it will be cheap at all. It probably would not be worth converting unless you are having significant issues with the current light system.

Any 2.0 retrofit kit would need detailed instructions complete with illustrations as the process of switching over to a 2.0 light system would be fairly labor intensive.

I am guessing that such a retrofit kit would cost at a minimum $1,000 and likely a bit more. If I am incorrect and it is cheaper than my guestimate that would be great, but I wouldn't count on it.

Gord

#36 6 years ago

Bottom line? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

One thing we all know is that the GI on WOZ isn't sufficient in a dark or dim room. So, spend your time and $$ installing Pinstadium or one of the other customized WOZ lighting upgrades out there.

#37 6 years ago

What do you guys use it for? Cleaning before waxing?

Mist-n-shine was initially recommend by JJP for applying to playfields as it has antistatic properties that were suppose to help with the light board issue in games. It was posted about on the JJP forums by JJP.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

A 2.0 retrofit kit would be something that may interest some current WOZ owners, but I do not think that it will be cheap at all. It probably would not be worth converting unless you are having significant issues with the current light system.
Any 2.0 retrofit kit would need detailed instructions complete with illustrations as the process of switching over to a 2.0 light system would be fairly labor intensive.
I am guessing that such a retrofit kit would cost at a minimum $1,000 and likely a bit more. If I am incorrect and it is cheaper than my guestimate that would be great, but I wouldn't count on it.
Gord

I've recently heard it will be in the $700 range from someone I trust. I assume the earliest machines may get a "deal", we'll see.

The labor will kind of suck, but I did a ST:TNG playfield swap and EVERYTHING pales compared to that, so I'm ready.

#39 6 years ago

I have one of the very last ECLE's off the line summer 2015? Really have not had a days trouble with the light boards.

I have had the lights not working at all... and a reboot fixed it, I believe it to be software related as this occured only after 6.X

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

A 2.0 kit should be made available at near cost as early WOZ owners are why JJP is in business today.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

I guess at cost would be fair

#42 6 years ago

Does JJP charge cost for light boards that need replacing?

1 week later
#43 6 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Yes they are listed on the website with cost but they are said to deal of you return yours.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

In warranty, no. Out of warranty? Probably, but they'll usually make a cheaper-than-retail package deal if you return the defective ones for them to recycle.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Last time I said buy the 2.0 system and I got lynched. So this time I will say it again buy the 2.0 system if you want less issues. I never learn.

Id say your correct - I had a ecle and had some light board problems & it’s frustrating ... now I have a 2.0 RR and the lighting has been perfect. It’s a great feeling playing WOZ and not being concerned at all.

#46 6 years ago

Mine is a 2015 7.5v boards and never had any issues.

1 year later
#47 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I just wouldn't buy one with original 5v boards unless all of the light boards have been replaced. All of those games should have exhibited issues by now. I think around September of 2013 JJP switched to 7.5 unbuffered boards, then moved to 7.5 buffered boards and finally to the 2.0 board system that is used in all JJP games today.

This really isn’t accurate. 7.5v buffered boards aren’t really any better then 5v buffered boards. The bigger issues come from unbufferecboards whether they be 5v or 7.5v.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

This really isn’t accurate. 7.5v buffered boards aren’t really any better then 5v buffered boards. The bigger issues come from unbuffered boards whether they be 5v or 7.5v.

Disagree. I had unbuffered 7.5v and never had problems. I sold the game 6 months ago and the new owner has been fine with it too.

#50 4 years ago

Hey guys I have an early run WOZECLE made in 8/2013. Just started reading about some power supply issues and was trying to see if I have the older power supply or the updated one.

I opened up my game and can’t seem to find it. Shouldn’t it be here? Was it placed somewhere else in the earlier runs?

Thanks!

9234D3F2-43FD-4BEA-979A-7C7EDD16BE75 (resized).jpeg9234D3F2-43FD-4BEA-979A-7C7EDD16BE75 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.
Interactive
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games
Pinball Machine
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 91.00
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.
Led
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Charles Town, WV
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms
Hardware
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-first-generationsteer-clear?hl=clg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.