Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wozfan2 (resized).jpg
wozfan (resized).jpg
#1 9 years ago

I got done playing a few games on my brand-new WOZ, and noticed that the computer fan in the cab was really loud. Normal/not normal?

#2 9 years ago

It shouldn't be too loud. There is more than one fan in there. Which one are you having the issue with ? On motherboard, back of metal box with the boards ?

LTG : )

#3 9 years ago

It sounds like a computer fan, where other games are silent. So as long as it sounds like a computer, normal. And after a bit you don't notice it.

3 years later
#4 6 years ago

Fan in my WOZ75 is noticeably louder than the fan in my DILE.

Really annoying in a home environment w/ tile floors.

Anyone ever successfully (and safely) replace it with something quieter?

1 month later
#5 6 years ago

Guess not?

#6 6 years ago

Actually, I did replace one fan in my WOZ. Going off of memory (and could be wrong) there were two fans in mine: CPU, and computer case fan (so both part of the computer). Turns out the case fan was really quite loud, so replaced with I believe a Noctua fan that did have slightly lower airflow, but substantially quieter. I also added a fan to the rear of the cab to help draw warm air out of the cab.

I ran some tests at the time and found no difference in operating temperature, but it's quieter.

I did similar operations with my Stern Spike machines, as they sounded like aircraft engines. A good quality fan is usually quieter, but part of the challenge is balancing airflow vs noise. Obviously, if you do replace the fan with a quieter one, be cautious of downrating -- test and take measurements, you don't want the thing overheating. The CFM rating should be printed on the fan. I can go through and see if I can find pics as it has been a long time (and machine is still fine ). On the plus side, the case itself is a reasonably good heat sink.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from bhwolf:

Actually, I did replace one fan in my WOZ. Going off of memory (and could be wrong) there were two fans in mine: CPU, and computer case fan (so both part of the computer). Turns out the case fan was really quite loud, so replaced with I believe a Noctua fan that did have slightly lower airflow, but substantially quieter. I also added a fan to the rear of the cab to help draw warm air out of the cab.
I ran some tests at the time and found no difference in operating temperature, but it's quieter.
I did similar operations with my Stern Spike machines, as they sounded like aircraft engines. A good quality fan is usually quieter, but part of the challenge is balancing airflow vs noise. Obviously, if you do replace the fan with a quieter one, be cautious of downrating -- test and take measurements, you don't want the thing overheating. The CFM rating should be printed on the fan. I can go through and see if I can find pics as it has been a long time (and machine is still fine ). On the plus side, the case itself is a reasonably good heat sink.

When you say the Computer Case fan, do you mean the computer power supply fan inside the big metal box? On my WOZ it's super noisy and I've been meaning to replace it for a while.

#8 6 years ago

It's actually outside the computer enclosure, but attached to it, marked red in the one pic. Pic of the actual fan attached, too. You can see the CPU fan towards the upper right -- but as far as I know, those were the only 2 fans in the machine.

wozfan (resized).jpgwozfan (resized).jpg

wozfan2 (resized).jpgwozfan2 (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago

Interested in seeing your replacement fan or specs...thanks

#10 6 years ago

Also would be interested in replacement fan specs.

The fan on Ghostbusters was even louder, but at least it would only turn on for a short time every 5 minutes or so.

The fan on WOZ is a constant white (ruby red?) noise.....except its particular pitch makes it extremely annoying, IMO.

#11 6 years ago

It's definitely a noctua fan because they are all a pink-ish color, which I can visually see. Unfortunately I cannot see the exact specs because of the way it is placed in there. But, they don't make so many of them, so I'd say just buy the one that moves the most air.

#12 6 years ago

Thanks for the info...would you happen to know size? Thanks

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from zutton1:

Thanks for the info...would you happen to know size? Thanks

Pretty sure it is 80mm and I used this one judging from my order history:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NEMG9K6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage

The only other consideration may be the connector. I can’t recall if I needed to extend the power cable to reach, or needed to change the connector — for example change from 3 pin to 2 pin. (I did this also with sterns and my home theater equipment, so I have a number of cables, adapters, connectors, etc. and don’t quite remember all the details). If you do need to convert, you could either change the connector yourself (similar to molex... swap them) or buy an adapter from a site like FrozenCPU.

What I’d recommend is looking at your system and look at where the fan is plugged into the motherboard, so you get an idea on how long of a cable is needed and which connector is needed. You could also verify it is 80mm ... nearly 100% sure it is, but always good to double check. They are all standard so exact measurements aren’t needed... common sizes are 60mm, 80mm, 92mm, and 120mm, but 80mm is most common in PCs.

#14 6 years ago

Awesome...appreciate the info. Thank You!

#15 6 years ago

Mine's noisey too.

Just posting to make it easier to find this thread when I decide to replace it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 16.95
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

13,000 (OBO)
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-fan-loud and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.