20240314_221748 (resized).jpg
20240314_215727 (resized).jpg
841FD4A1-7C8E-4E32-973D-DD8D05C4902E (resized).png
3D72BC84-0D17-44A1-B683-A17D4B722FF3 (resized).jpeg
WOZ lightboard 2 (resized).jpg
WOZ lightboard 1 (resized).jpg
20240309_110050 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by TigerLaw (10 years ago)

Post #2584 Fan Replacement details Posted by bhwolf (7 years ago)

Post #7017 How to tell if your WOZ has 2.0 boards Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #7022 Balls not making it to shooter lane from trough - Fix Posted by LTG (5 years ago)

Post #7126 Location of the latest software update/version Posted by mavantix (5 years ago)

Post #7128 Update 7.01 notes - released April 16, 2019 Posted by thewool (5 years ago)

Post #7752 Fan Replacement how to and links Posted by f3honda4me (4 years ago)

Post #11015 Adjustment advice for the monkey Posted by LTG (3 years ago)

Post #12537 7.03 Code Release Posted by bobukcat (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wesleycowan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 10 years ago

Bought my WOZ LE used in January and I really like the game play, the creative use of callouts both from and not included in the movie, the LCD screen, and much more. Was at the pinball show in Denver on Friday and Saturday and WOZ always had the longest line of people waiting to play it of any of the 140 pins at the show. This includes the new Sterns or "A" games by B/W. My hope is some how the Hobbit will be even better and that JJP will be a great maker of pins for a very long time.

#61 10 years ago

I was at the show Saturday from 9:00 until after 8:00 and every time I checked (a lot) the lights were working fine. The line for it was usually fairly long.

1 month later
#275 9 years ago

I have 3.0 and have played many games on that version and have never seen flipper frenzy-weird.

#317 9 years ago

Seems like I remember somone saying an update is coming. Would be shocked if it makes any major changes but we'll see.

8 months later
#659 9 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

Hey "failure to kill the witch" WOZ owners. I just found out my witch switch was not registering all the time so your's might be out of whack too. Next time you have the glass off put it in switch mode and toss a ball into the switch. I didn't see any real way to adjust except to bend two metal tabs which I did and 'seemed to fix the problem.
The witch should say something every time you hit her in hurry up mode - mine only registered about 1 in 4 times. Now she's much better.

Thanks I'm going to blame the fact that I've never killed the witch on this and try the adjustments you suggested. However, it might just be I'm not good enough yet to kill her, but there have been times it did seem like so shots might not have registered.
Maybe it will be obvious when I look, but how much and in what way, did you bend the two metal tabs?

1 month later
#699 9 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Sweet jesus. just stacked Crystal MB, Haunted MB, ECMB and a Munchkin Mode. What a rush this game is.

Congrats and awesome and fun game you had!

3 weeks later
#742 8 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

9 hours in the Tahoe today.... But well worth it!!!!

image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Congrats!

#779 8 years ago
Quoted from JIM_Z:

New fan last night! She played for about 20 minutes,she would not stop playing even after being offered ice cream.

IMG_0888[1].JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_0887[1].JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_0889[1].JPG (Click image to enlarge)

Yes--awesome! This is one reason I love WOZ, so many kids and not usual pinball fans loving it. Kids and adults always see it and want to play it when they come over to my house. My elderly mother-in-law really enjoyed playing it when she visited us.

Anything a kid wants more than ice cream and is healthy is awesome!

1 month later
#858 8 years ago

Love hearing how children and young ones often love WOZ! I've heard that so many times and even though some were lukewarm on the theme, I think it was a great choice by JJP and has attracted some non traditional people to pinball. My mother-in-law when visiting likes it and so do many kids and even teens and adults who have come to our house. Most also like MM and the first time or 2 they have a castle explode is awesome to watch their reaction. Stern has made many terrific games and no Stern bashing from me here as I do think Stern has many positives. However, some of their themes including old rock bands, WWE, and others vastly adult oriented themes aren't great for non pinheads. However to be fair POTC, IM, Star Trek, SM, LOTR etc, etc. were certainly good choices for the non Pinheads as well as for those of us into this as a hobby and passion.
Personally I love the theme of WOZ and think it's a terrific pin! I'm also looking real forward to seeing TH and Pat Lawlor's games being released. Go JJP and thanks for bringing many great things and creativity to pinball!

2 months later
#907 8 years ago

"I'm not a fan of the armor color and I really don't like all of those signatures. To each their own, but to pay less money for the way I prefer is was a sweet deal."

You know what you prefer and should obviously go for it. Just a side note. I have seen over the years about 7-8 ECLE, 1-2 standards and only one Ruby Red. There's things I like about each including the topper on the Red edition and just seeing the standard for the sake of seeing a non LE version. Looks very nice to me and unlike some non-LE's of other games has identical game-play. I own a ECLE but if I had known the Ruby Red was coming would have slightly preferred it above all of the editions. But then again glad I got my when I did and waiting even longer would have been difficult. I'm glad there's now 3 choices and also neat that TH has choices as well.

Still trying to melt that darn which and have gotten oh so close several times including recently and then failed! Drat!

2 months later
#952 8 years ago

I have my game set at 6.5 degrees and every once in a great while get a ball hang up. Does setting it to 7 degrees help this? It gets hung up on skill shots without a full plunge towards the pop bumpers, ie. going for skill shots. Rare but annoying when happens. Also still get shots that rattle around despite all attempts and suggestions in adding a plastic and making other adjustments to attempt to make plunger shots not hit or rattle around some times.

4 months later
#1192 8 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

I put the ones on the holes and the Munchkin land, and I am also with you on the rollover and magnets.....I just kept those for a later date. I will say the guard behind the winkie target is not for the timid, and takes a little bit of work to get into place. In all honesty, if I had it to do over again, I think I would just do the Munchkinland and forget the rest. Not sure they do much good.

I bought mine with Cliffy's installed except the Munchkinland, which I painted emerald green adn the installed per somone's suggestion on another thread. Since the VUK's do get a lot of play with steel hitting wood I'm glad they're on there. I think at minimal protecting the Munchkinland playfield wood with a protector is the absolute least to do.

#1193 8 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Yes, I will agree these games are solid and very heavy....but I probably wouldn't have it any other way. Removing the Munchkinland playfield really isn't that bad. Removing the mounting screws is very easy...it is just the wiring that is intimidating. Just take your time and note where every plug goes. The removal and installation is less than 15 minutes on either side. The drilling is very easy and quick....just make sure you put tape or some other depth gage on the bit so you don't drill through the playfield. I use a piece of plastic tubing over the bit to limit how deep it can drill. Trust me, the Winkie target hole protector was MUCH harder and time consuming to install.

Read in the manual carefully which wires to take out, i.e, don't tkae out more than needed or miss taking out ones you need to as it's a pain to go back with the playfield up at that point as you'r working on it. Be very careful as it's possible to pull the tiny wires out the cables on some of them (ask me how I know!) and that could require needing a new cable. Also I write with a sharpie the locations of what goes where so it makes it easy to remember how to reinstall the wires. However that's really not necessary but optional.

#1266 8 years ago

"I get a ball stuck issue right here on about 50% of my soft plunges. I have NO idea how as there's nothing to catch on. Anyone else?"

Rarel,y but every once in a while I've had a ball get stuck there and just nudge the machine. Would love to know if there's another fix/solution.

2 weeks later
#1356 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

I was in a similar situation with my standard. You could save some cash and get a standard since they're the exact same game.

Differences between the LE's (power coating on legs and habitrails etc. etc.) and standards are cosmetic. Gameplay on standard and the LE's is the same which is a different model of marketing Stern uses. I don't want to compare either companies there's way too much of that happening, I'm just making sure you aware of that which you might be RR does have TOTO. tornado and a few other things that are stationary and nice that didn't come on the Emerald LE. They could be purchased and put on an Emerald or even standard, I suppose. Personally I like the Ruby Red the best including the 75th anniversary of the film topper and extra figures, then the Emerald and then the standard. However, the standard is still quite awesome and they do seem to be holding their value well. So if budget was a prime concern I'd go with a standard and have some money for other things.

Also, WOZ is a terrific game and just gets better with each software update, although I don't know if there will be any more of those coming other than to maybe fix a minor bug or two. But I'd play as many games as you can before you buy one especially if it's going to be your only pin. Nothing at all against WOZ. I'd said this for anyone who could have only 1 pin whichever pins is on their short list. However, as said before you can always sell it and get another if down the line you want to do that.

3 weeks later
#1421 7 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Here's two pics of the protector for you.

Wow never seen that before.

2 weeks later
#1479 7 years ago
Quoted from Vexx_182:

After i installed 6.06 i had to turn down the power on my crystal ball VUK. It was kicking the ball up and off the rail. Anyone else experience this after they installed the new software?

Yes I have. I thought maybethe wireform had gotten a little bent or something but turning down the power fixed the issue.

1 week later
#1514 7 years ago

Cliffy's every-where but around the playfield insert is how mine is. Especially need on the Munchkinland mini-playfield.

Castle Walls look better than the stock ones and don't block anything.

I did put decals on the Rainbow stand ups and very much like how they look. I don't have decals any where else and prefer it that way.

Personally I think the witches well looks better than the plastic thing it comes in, but haven't ever bought this.

You can buy I guess all of the movie figures, tornado and other things that are on the WOZ RR edition but I've never seen anyone actually do that. From what I remember seems like it was a lot of $.

There are lots of other mods available for WOZ. But to me the one that is most necessary are Cliffy's to protect things from getting worn and if that was the only mod I could do, that would be the one.

Quoted from Phbooms:

Few questions on the mods available and what you guys think looks best.
First the castle and witches well mod. When the witches wells installed do you leave the plastic encloser off? Also does the castle walls block any view of the RESCUE targets?
I see alot of different candy decals being sold. Which do you guys think are the best ones to buy?
Im going to get my Standard legs, armor, and hinges powder coated. If you could pick any color what do you think would look the best?
What other mods do you think are tasteful and look really good installed?
Thanks for any insight provided. Game is so much fun and getting better daily as we figure out the rules, thanks tismasc for the rules!

1 month later
#1699 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

JJP recommends using a detailing spray called Wizard's Mist-n-shine

I don't know if auto parts stores sell Mist-n-shine but I've found it at motorcycle detail shops and of course on Amazon. Alex of JJP mentioned it for use on WOZ. Best product I've found re: wax is P21S, also recommended by Alex. I use it all WOZ, Stern and B/W pins. A bit pricey, but great product IMHO.

1 week later
#1761 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

You do not have to pre-drill the screw holes. The screws will drive in the wood without hurting the playfield.

Per seeing someone else having done this before me, I painted the Cliffy around the Rainbow with Emerald Green and I think it looks nice. Just a thought. And yes removing the playfield there's good instructions in the manual and not too hard.

1 week later
#1788 7 years ago

Do those here who own WOZ still have the black rubber rings or have you converted to white or other colors? I replaced the originals when it was time with black except for green ones on the slings. I tend to stay with whatever the manufacturers tested the games in when in development, but then again not always.

#1795 7 years ago

Yesterday a screw fell into one of the pop bumpers areas and I didn't know it until I turned the game on. A pop bumper keep firing and then I discover the screw and got it out of the machine. Since then the winged monkey won't move especially to go back up to the castle. I assumed something shorted maybe a transistor. Any ideas?

#1804 7 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

In test mode does it attempt to move at all and can you hear the motor run? Did you have to lift the playfield to get the screw out? If so something may now be jammed against it or something became disconnected during that process.

Just tried again today and after about 5-10 minutes it started working. Best I can tell something got jammed just barely enough to foul things up. So thanks for the suggestion and nice it was a relatively easy fix!

Wish I just had walked away last night before I got so frustrated! I should know by know not to work on pins late at night and when tired of trying to get one stubborn problem fixed!

3 weeks later
#1856 7 years ago

Every once in a while when I turn my WOZ on my crystal ball shows weird numbers and no pics bt never noticed this during certain modes. Note is the second SD card and was so bad on first one after awhile I got it replaced.

10 months later
#4102 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'd be interested in options regarding Woz, many have owned Woz 3+ years. Interested to hear from longtime owners love the game still? I'm planning to get my own RR late to the party but I'm mainly interested in a long term relationship. Hopefully Woz is something that's timeless and gets better with age. I've not played Woz enough to say yet but I think I've played enough to have an idea."

Personally I love my WOZ which I've owned since January 2014. I was the second owner and so didn't do the prepay option. I own MM, SM, SC, and TH SE and WOZ is my favorite per gameplay, code, the amount of toys, love melting the witch (only done that relatively rarely to probably many pinsiders but great thrill went accomplished) and the game never gets old to me.

As I've told some, if you want a very, very fast game like a Steve Ritchie pin, probably not a great choice unless you've have some of his designed or other fast pins and want a contrast. Some games if you're really good can last a long time depending on how many extra balls, how hard the settings or on and the things you can do to make the outlanes easier or harder. Personally I set mine up on fairly easier setting and liberal extra balls especially when I was a new owner. As I've improved I've adjusted to make it "less easy" but don't I would ever want to play it on it's hardest settings. Set up well re: amount of incline, waxed, cleaned and balls replaced as needed it plays plenty fast to me. Only thing in hindsight I might have changed is getting a RR (love the topper and "extras" on the playfield) over the Emerald LE but that's a real minor point and I'm happy with mine.

Although this is a WOZ thread just a quick note that I also own TH and like it okay but code is still being updated and I prefer WOZ's playfield. To me it has more of a fun factor overall. I consider WOZ great and TH as a good game that will improve as the code advances but I don't I will end up keeping it as long as WOZ.

4 years later
#12680 2 years ago

Wish I knew of a place to get cables. Have at least one out and would like 2-3 just in case needed in future.

2 months later
#12885 2 years ago

I know jumping motherboard has been covered and know how to do that. Recently every time I try to play a game after game has been turned off, I have to jump start it. Get the no signal error every time I switch the game on. Tried putting motherboard from Hobbit I own into WOZ and it starts and plays great with that board So probably a problem with the WOZ motherboard? Fixable or replace?

#12899 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Bios is easy.
Just set it to ignore all errors and restart normally on power loss.
But you need to attach a USB keyboard, to the back of the computer, to hit F1 or to get in for adjustments.
Does your screen come on at all?
Is it completely dead, no power, no lights?

Get the no signal input and attaching a USB keyboard it does nothing to see to help unfortunately. Software is on current update.

#12900 2 years ago

Basically I have to jump start it thaen it starts the fans and goes through start up mode and plays after that. But jump starting every time I want to platy has become old. Anithrr board when place in Hobbit and WOZ works great. No problem. But the mothrrboard that dedicated to WOZ-- neither game can it start up without a jump start. Thanks again for suggestions so far and future ones!

#12916 2 years ago

On mine tried resetting the RAM, redownloading the latest software update and clearing CMOS. Maybe a board issue. Still have to jump start everything I hit the other switch to play any games.

1 week later
#12935 2 years ago

Probably a bad mainboard.
Several on ebay right now:
ebay.com link: MSI H81M P33 Motherboard LGA 1150 DDR3 USB3 0 DVI VGA mATX Intel H81 100 work

Sorry for my delayed response but thank you so much for the info and Links!

1 week later
#12998 2 years ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

I know jumping motherboard has been covered and know how to do that. Recently every time I try to play a game after game has been turned off, I have to jump start it. Get the no signal error every time I switch the game on. Tried putting motherboard from Hobbit I own into WOZ and it starts and plays great with that board So probably a problem with the WOZ motherboard? Fixable or replace?

Still an issue. Tried a different board but can't get any to work in WOZ or Hobbit. So two boards that won't work in either machine. One tries to start in TH but can't get past showing the bytes downloading. And 2 boards I get signal error on WOZ.
So in summary original board from TH works in both machines but I can't currently have both playable only one as have to transfer one working board. Jump starting and use of keyboard hasn't helped either.

#13002 2 years ago
Quoted from attitude05:

I had a similar issue with the power supply went out on mine and took out the main board, the processor, and the Ram. After trying to piece everything together and test I finally just ordered a new board from JJP and everything came back to life. Yes it’s a price that I didn’t wanna Pay but it took less time to install and get everything back up and running.

Sorry you had that much trouble! Do you mean you had replace the most of Mother board and the game main board! Oh my
Not sure why my game will boot up fine with Hobbit board. But not 2 others including the original WOZ and one bought on line that's same as Hobbit has in it. Guess I don't understand why it can be jump started but not start with on switch to the game.

#13004 2 years ago

Will maybe it was because it was late but last night no luck with bios and getting WOZ going. Will try again today but feeling discouraged as I seem to have no skills or understanding in how to solve this problem.
Love WOZ but frankly I've had a lot of issues in keeping in working especially for a home use game in 7-8 years of owning it. This I blame on my poor skills not JJP.

10 months later
#14139 1 year ago

LTG has helped me so many times for many years with games from EM's to early Solid State to current pins. I'm so grateful he continues to be of such great help to many people.

4 weeks later
#14241 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Sorry for this mess. Since I'm not with them anymore, I have no way to check or help,
LTG : )

Miss you being with them a lot!

3 months later
#14545 1 year ago

The left hinge on the playfield on my WOZ broke. Basically game is unplayable as there's no way for the playfield to not fall into cabinet. JJP since these are no longer available. Anyway have ideas of something I could substitute so the playfield can be put upwards when game being worked on. And in it's normal position for game play?

#14556 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

No idea on part number. They have them. Used them from WOZ through Wonka, at least.

Awesome thanks for as always being so helpful LTG!

#14557 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Playfield Support / Slide Bracket
10-000033-01 Left
10-000033-00 Right
Funny, same part name and number in WOZ manual, and Willy Wonka manual.
Get ahold of someone else in parts at jjp.

Thanks I'll give that a try.

#14558 1 year ago

Top one is good hinge on Hobbit. Bottom two are broken one of WOZ. I did contact another person in parts at JJP to have them recheck to see if they have it available for purchase.

DSC_0721 (resized).JPGDSC_0721 (resized).JPGDSC_0726 (resized).JPGDSC_0726 (resized).JPGDSC_0725 (resized).JPGDSC_0725 (resized).JPG
#14564 1 year ago

If I had a sample, I could remake some, if JJP doesnt want to do it.

Still trying to see if JJP might have the playfield hinge bracket assembly,. especially since used WOZ to Wonka. If not yes having one made seems like best option.

#14565 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Maybe WesleyCowan could send you the one from the other side to reproduce them ?

I beginning to think this is best option please. Contacted a different person at JJP as it seems like they should have this since used in several of their games.

#14581 1 year ago

Then call jack and tell him you miss LTG : ) and want him back.

Just so glad you still offer your excellent advice and help regardless of manufacturer, including JJP. Personally I first discovered your help on RGP several years ago and then Pinside. You've helped me in more ways than you can ever know including practical advice and encouragement. Thank you! And yes Jack should never have let you go!

1 month later
#14666 1 year ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

The left hinge on the playfield on my WOZ broke. Basically game is unplayable as there's no way for the playfield to not fall into cabinet. JJP since these are no longer available. Anyway have ideas of something I could substitute so the playfield can be put upwards when game being worked on. And in it's normal position for game play?

Response from JJP finally that WOZ and Wonka hinges are different with a drawing sent. Wondering if Wonka one would be able to made to fit on WOZ. Otherwise looks as if having a new one made might be best option.

10-000013-00 Playfield Slide Support Brkt.pdf10-000013-00 Playfield Slide Support Brkt.pdf10-000013-01 Playfield Slide Support Brkt.PDF10-000013-01 Playfield Slide Support Brkt.PDF
1 week later
#14674 12 months ago

That was very kind of them to send you the prints!
Draw it up in FreeCad and have sendcutsend make it for you if JJP doesnt have it.
Its a quick drawing to make.

Sorry so long in responding. Thank you for the info! Had never heard of FreeCad before.

4 months later
#14907 7 months ago

As

Quoted from Triplecdad:

Plan to powdercoat my standard woz. Anyone know what red JJP used on their ruby red machines?

This question has me wondering what green was used on powder coated things in the Crystal Edition. I have some areas of bad wear mostly my fault in moving playfield up and down.

3 months later
#15039 3 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

First. If you are going to enable that shit, back up your settings first. Or you'll spend weeks fixing all the changes in pricing and adjustments as you discover them.
Then if Pindemption is in your software/adjustments, and you have the dongle for it. Turn it on. After a few fucked up games, turn it back off and restore your settings.
Might be fun for kids or a contest, and not much.

Glad you gave that info as. might tried it.
Sounds bad!
But frankly had enough issues without screwing up coil and other settings I've been too lazy to back up. Whoa better do a back up pronto! Took too long to get some stuff dialed in especially lock only releasing 1 ball. Instead of two as an error sometimes and also vuks etc.
Despite issues over the years, love WOZ.

#15040 3 months ago

To LTG thanks for all the time, knowledge and expertise you have given regarding WOZ and so so many pins this year and many years on Pinside, RGP, by phone, in person and many other places.

I'm still convinced there must be at least 3 people using LTG as initials to do all you (you guys??) do! Thanks so much!

1 week later
#15060 3 months ago

Game playing fine 2 nights ago and then turned it on today. Got "No Signal Input." Have jump started it before but been awhile. Watched the JJP video to make sure I used paper clip to correct place on board using the header/board connector.

Nothing. No response at all. None of the fans starting etc. Checked fuses, connectors, and know battery in game was replaced less than a year ago.

Not sure what else to try?

#15063 3 months ago

The computer didnt start, no CMOS, nothing...but there is power to the monitor.
Unplug game from the wall.
Try to start the game with it unplugged (this kills any residual power).
Plug game back into the wall.
Try to start the game.
Post results.

Thank you for the idea. Unfortunately same result meaning No Signal Input.

#15069 3 months ago

Dumb question but prefer to ask. I have a Hobbit with probably same or similar mother board. Any risk if I was to take board out of TH and place in WOZ? Don't want to risk harm to board in TH but would seem if WOZ starts up then is likely the motherboard.

#15072 3 months ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

I agree, see a hot flame leave it alone. Try to fix the issue in front of you, not take it to another game and possibly recreate it on that game. Follow @pinballreno's advice.

Okay glad I asked beforehand as would hate to create problems for 2 games! Thanks!

#15077 3 months ago

One thing to try.
Pull out the RAM modules and swap them to each other's slots.
Loose/missing ram will cause a computer not to POST.

Tried that unfortunately no response from WOZ. Thank you for the suggestion.

Today I will attempt the test mentioned hooking up CPU to a computer. Getting ahead of even starting that, if it does turn out to be power supply should I order same one from JJP or has anyone had experience with less expensive one?

#15079 3 months ago

Depends on which version you have, but anything that fits will work.
Early games had a regular ATX supply outside of the metal box.
Im confident that meanwell has the exact supply thats in your game.

Tha k you I do have the ATX outside metal box. But of course will test board first and see what happens and possible next step. But good to know an option in case. Thank you.

#15084 3 months ago

I wouldnt do that.
Instead work on hooking it up out of the game.
Its not hard to do but you need a monitor and a power supply.
Maybe someone near you has a PC hooked up.
Here is the WOZ mainboard h61m-p33, check your model to see if its the same (its printed on the board):
https://www.amazon.com/H61M-P33-LGA1155-DDR3-Desktop-Motherboard/dp/B09GMN5DYT/ref=sr_1_7
Just put your CPU, fan and RAM onto it.

Well looks like you are right. Board works on home PC. Took power supply out of WOZ and found a darn screw in it that appears to have burned out power supply. So my own stupid fault at some point. Grrr!

Thank you to everyone who provided suggestions! Without Pinside and wonderful folks here would have given up on pinball as a hobby years ago.
I'll confirm resolution once I know for sure.

#15086 3 months ago

Other than 400 watts and it having a 20 pin header connection any other specs I should make sure replacement has?

1 week later
#15099 3 months ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Thanks for posting your experience.
Along with the suggestions from pinballinreno and others this is a great step by step diagnostic that helps our community.

So finally after much frustration And a new power supply WOZ is turning on and no signal input error.

However after briefly showing JJP logo in the asks for a password with logo of board manufacturer. In looking at Pinside it says install keyboard and hit Alt-Cntl-delete as there is no password. Game appears to very briefly reboot but then goes back to password page. I can't get past asking or a password this and so game won't start do anything.

#15100 3 months ago

Tried reseating connectors including to sound amplifier board, all that have to do with power suplly, new battery, unplugging machine overnight with no battery in CPU. But always get it asking for password whether I press F1 or F2 on keyboard.

#15105 3 months ago
Quoted from coz6:

The password is qmodem found in the form for Wonka and remember this for woz when I had this. There is a password

Thank you!

Enter menu including Main, advanced,tool boot etc.

Have tried boot several times but machine appears to reboot, then gives me password request to same place and tries goes back to CPU info. Still not booting up. Problem something simple I'm missing but had wife tried who usually sees what I miss and she had no better luck.

#15111 3 months ago
Quoted from coz6:

I have followed your posts I know you are more knowledgeable than me - so I’ll say that you have a good shot of being right but I do recall reaching out to support and then sent me that password - for what it’s worth and that fixed my issue for a dead battery
Ok I am not crazy from JJ Support on another game
Yes change battery
Plug in usb keyboard
when you get the game started rapidly hit the DEL key as it starts coming to life - you will here a chime
if you are asked for a password use qmodem all lower case
when you get into the BIOS screen hit F10 without doing anything else and say "yes"
game will boot up again and you should be all set

Thank you! Tried all that and great info. Unfortunately still couldn't get it to boot but otherwise machine was on including, lights, fans, fuse leds, screen.
Took battery out, unplugged machine and took a needed long break. Came back hours later and put battery back in and machine power chord And yup nothing. Dead completely. Went over everything multiple times.
Connected board to computer and it fired right up. Checked power supply is on power. It's as if board no longer works in WOZ but must be a cable, or connector I've missed? Tempted to order a board as don't have an extra working one but thinking it's not the CPU since was working in machine earlier and in PC.

#15112 3 months ago

Well *red faced somehow power chord connected to machine not wall just barely lose. Damn thought I checked this earlier.

At this point have spent way too much time and giving up until new board arrives most likely. Might true again but very discouraged that I have had WOZ and several others pins and such at working on them.

Still getting CPU screen but password and stuff just going in loop. Goes to settings tried recommendations but getting nowhere. Again Pinside is wonderful and that's to everyone who gave suggestions for this and so many other issues!

#15121 3 months ago

If all of the jumpers are removed or even the CLRCMOS jumper is inserted the mainboard will still boot.
They are pretty bullet proof.
All the mainboard needs is the CPU (with fan), 1 piece if RAM, the 4 pin CPU power connection and the 24 pin ATX power connector to boot.
There are even beep codes available if you attach a small speaker or transducer to the speaker pins if you dont have a monitor.
The power on self test does a lot of things and gives a short beep if everything is OK.
In this case the mainboard is booting on a PC properly.
Im thinking its the 4 pin ATC connector?

Wow 4 updates since I tried this a.m.! Thanks everyone. Latest update. Let it set overnight with battery out and game unplugged. Then reinstalled those.
Game again asked for pw after being powered by shorting 2 pins on CPU.
After password checked and settings as suggested in CPU on screen settings. Tried that no go. Not factory resault found anywhere only rest is cpu and chips etc. Tried one and brief screen off and JJP logo and then pw. Tried other reset and still no changing. Different battery installed after unplugging machine and letting it sit. No changes. Tons of profanity for 33 or maybe 899 time last 3 days and WOZ melted. No it didn't.

Currently rereading posts and trying to figure what's next.

#15122 3 months ago
Quoted from julien_06480:

Try resetting CMOS
https://kb.stonegroup.co.uk/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=190
Might be better to perform this with battery removed.
When done insert battery again.
And after that you might need to do a jumpstart to power on motherboard.
When started, enter BIOS settings to change "Restore after AC Power loss" to value "Power ON".
Keep in mind that switching on WOZ will not switch on motherboard. It will just provide AC Power. This is why it is very important to have this BIOS setting set to "Power ON", and that the jumpstart is needed to switch on motherboard when this setting value is not "Power ON".

Sorry probably was clear I did try this and was very hopeful might be solution first thing this morning. In my clumsiness if I accidentally reset something else in this would be only thing I can think of might have gone wrong. But read this and believe I followed it exactly and so all these prompts and very helpful and clear written. Thank you!

#15129 3 months ago

Some recent thoughts:
The computer should work properly without the JJP dongle inserted in the game.
It should work the same as if you put it into a PC.
It should let you go into the CMOS, save the settings and then try to boot the Operating System.
Firstly I would remove the JJP dongle and get the computer running stably.
You can verify that the computer works by putting it into a PC cabinet.
As you have seen it will boot perfectly over and over again.
Maybe see if it still does this?
When in the game, the computer should behave the same way WITHOUT the JJP dongle inserted and only the monitor, sound, keyboard and 2 power fittings with the SATA hard disk cable also disconnected (same as before in the PC cabinet).
It will become a basic PC.
So, next step is the get the computer to behave reliably.
THEN install the JJP dongle and see if it still behaves. Maybe put the dongle in a different USB port, incase the port is bad.
In my long career, I have seen broken dongles keep the PC from booting correctly. I have seen any number of things plugged into a computer keep it from booting right. Get the computer "trimmed down" and see if it behaves.
In essence, put as few things on a computer as necessary for it to boot. Then add things "one by one" until it fails to boot correctly.
Taking a linear approach of installing things one by one is really helpful in these cases.

Thank you so detailed and tried several things you listed. Will go through everything as she if it helps.

#15130 3 months ago

Hooked up CPU to PC and it started right up, some JJP symbol and then say downloading or somethingv50% for awhile and then went to apps page. Seemed fine in computer.

Put back into it again asked for password and after then went into CPU menu.

#15131 3 months ago

When in the CPU menu is showing nothing on Sata ports. Tried replacing SATA cable.
Then in a different port as well. Still showing nothing.

Also made sure the "Power ON" setting is is on. No matter what I try it just refuses to boot.

Weird to me that CPU boots over and over in PC but not in WOZ.

#15133 3 months ago

Legacy is enabled.

Will start up without dongle.

#15135 3 months ago

Will keep looking but don 't see AHCI mode. Will look again.

#15138 3 months ago
Quoted from bsbdmd83:

Can you take a screenshot of whats happeniing both in pc and in machine so we can see?

Unfortunately late last night it starting giving me screen error indicating it needs to be jump started. Have done that many times in past few days, but it now won't start. If I can get it started will take screenshots.

#15145 3 months ago

Tried a new board yesterday but getting nsh or occasionally told to press F1or F2 on USB keyboard. Pressing F2 as othervthreads say do that. Tried F1 and nothing after many times with F2.

MPrinted off Wingman's thread a out a year ago where he has pictures of each possible BIOS setting and what he set them too and how he got his WOZ running again. Tried that (thanks for the dozen or so pics Wingman) but still can't get it to boot. Been over and over again every single cable and connector including those with the new power supply. Fan on it running power supply running but still can't get game to boot. So have a new CPU and power supply but no good results.

#15148 3 months ago

Don't have another ssd but will get one as next step.

#15149 3 months ago

Put in new SSD and a new MPU and after jumpstart in went into manufacturer's page. Same thing no matter what settings I changed including ones discussed above it just looped and wouldn't go into game play. Fans on and game monitor.

#15151 3 months ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

New SSD would be blank and not boot. Does the BIOS see the drive?
If yes then you need to do the restore. It's on JJP's website. The full download. Put that on a USB stick (you have to use imaging software to prepare the USB Stick). Instructions are on JJPs support site for the how-to.
Then try to boot with it plugged into the board. If it boots it will re-image the SSD with the JJP software. Takes a while. Next boot after that you will be ok.

Thank you will try that after work tonight.

#15154 3 months ago

I agree, does the new drive show up in the bios? does the drive show up WITHOUT the JJP dongle connected?
Does the game try to boot the empty drive without the JJP dongle connected?
The SSD drive should be the 1st boot device if it shows up.
It might be a bad hdmi cable to the ssd drive.
You should be able to see the drive listed in the bios under storage or the general info page.
l exchange cable and what it says in BIOS.

I have put a new SSD, CPU, and power supply in all since last night. Today had to replace thermistor in main fuse power as it blew.
Still once powered goes into BIOS and therefore no way to get into game menu to do anything including FULL 7.04 install which is what it's been running.

1 week later
#15157 82 days ago

RR is beautiful with extra figues such as the Tornado and others things. Personally. I prefer how it looks over every other edition. And since made later than earlier editions hopefully some of the early issues were worked on.

#15160 80 days ago

Not much to update on getting WOZ going. Tried a different CPU, motherboard RAMs, power supply, SSD and I/O board some borrowed from Hobbit. Gone over about every cable and tried replacements, fuses and placing appropriate stuff in home pc. Tried BIOS setting recommended and I think about everything but calling zJJP which I guess is next

Miss playing WOZ as I have 4 pins and gameplay on WOZ is my favorite.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Wanted
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wesleycowan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-fan-club-members-only?tu=wesleycowan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.