image (resized).jpg
767a905f-f768-44f4-b3e3-b2998967ff3c_text.gif
Photo Mar 30 2024, 5 42 30 PM (resized).jpg
20240316_125739 (resized).jpg
20240314_221748 (resized).jpg
20240314_215727 (resized).jpg
841FD4A1-7C8E-4E32-973D-DD8D05C4902E (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by TigerLaw (10 years ago)

Post #2584 Fan Replacement details Posted by bhwolf (7 years ago)

Post #7017 How to tell if your WOZ has 2.0 boards Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #7022 Balls not making it to shooter lane from trough - Fix Posted by LTG (5 years ago)

Post #7126 Location of the latest software update/version Posted by mavantix (5 years ago)

Post #7128 Update 7.01 notes - released April 16, 2019 Posted by thewool (5 years ago)

Post #7752 Fan Replacement how to and links Posted by f3honda4me (4 years ago)

Post #11015 Adjustment advice for the monkey Posted by LTG (3 years ago)

Post #12537 7.03 Code Release Posted by bobukcat (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nosro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#557 9 years ago

Boot me out of here if I don't qualify for membership - I do not own a WOZ (yet)! I have to admit that I didn't initially like WOZ, probably because I didn't understand the rules and the four quadrant display. But after some familiarization, I can't get enough!

I saw the thread attempting to document all the rules. However, has someone created a more abbreviated rules list for people just approaching the game?

2 weeks later
#575 9 years ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

My complaints are
Not enough lightning
The left drain.

Not enough lighting: you can spin your own solution or purchase this pre-fabricated kit: http://pinballbulbs.com/products/wizard-oz-pinball-illumination-kit

As noted, you can move the post and lane guide to narrow the left outlane. You can see the other hole for the post, but you will not see the second hole for the lane guide until you take out the screw - there is one!

While you're at it, the right outlane post and the castle upper playfield drain posts are also adjustable. Yes, I suck and yes I have my machine set to really easy settings. Never forget that it's your machine and you can do whatever you want with it.

#608 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I love the game, but in my opinion, it is NOT obvious what to do.

I agree. But I think there is a reason for this. A typical game only has one or two things (or modes) going on at once, so the game can highlight the one or two shots that you are supposed to do next. I would cite Stern Star Trek as an example of this: the most you can stack is one of the missions and a Klingon Multiball or one of the missions and a Vengeance mode.

Wizard of Oz is incredibly stackable. For example, the other day, I think I had Emerald City Multiball, Welcome to Munchkin Land, Witch Fireball, and Crystal Ball running all at the same time. (Or at least for ten seconds before I had an adrenaline overload and drained everything.) This is where I think a player needs to change from "aim for the blinky thing" to looking at the monitor to see the status of each objective and decide which of the several objectives to go after.

I think I've read somewhere that one of the hallmarks of an engaging game is that there are many options for the player at any given time, rather than a linear tunnel. I think the sheer breadth of options at any given time and the need to utilize the monitor to stay abreast of your options has generated some confusion among traditional players and may be responsible for some of the lukewarm responses toward Wizard of Oz.

For myself, I know that the first several times I played the Wizard of Oz resulted in a giant yawn. It was only after reading some of the rules that I "got it" and realized that the monitor was my friend, not the insert lights.

#610 9 years ago
Quoted from sawyerfamilyaz:

^^^ That is what I was wondering. Is it my status quo way of thinking and approaching the play of this game that makes me feel confused and unsure what to do?

This was the case for me. Ironically, with so much going on, the confusion can make a player feel like nothing is going on.

Note that the owner's manual is free to download at JJP's website. One thing it does is describe some of the basic rules and how the monitor relates to the rules.

2 weeks later
#639 9 years ago

I found this by accident, but if you love your Wizard of Oz pinball, there is plenty of appropriate wall art to put near your machine, including "Munckin Land", "Emerald City", and "Yellow Brick Road" signs:
ebay.com link: bhp

#640 9 years ago

#645 9 years ago

I just melted the witch for the first time after 17 attempts at melting the witch. (Lanes set to the most closed position, installed "extra easy", 3 balls. Yes, I suck.) What a rush!

Of course, once that was done, I was left with the fact that I had earned no gems towards Somewhere Over the Rainbow. There's still plenty to do here....

#649 9 years ago

Where do you see how many gems have been earned? I thought it was on the perimeter around the emeralds.

#651 9 years ago

Never mind. It seems that I didn't see the gem because it was white!

#657 9 years ago

Playfield protection mylar is really not necessary, especially in a home environment. I've seen plenty of WOZ machines on location that do fine without any protection. Remember the history of mylar: it was a method of protecting playfields BEFORE Diamond Plate (clear coat) was created. Countless people have spent great effort at considerable risk to remove mylar from their clear coated playfield.

That said, if you insist on installing mylar, here's another thread you can use as a resource: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-pal-stealth-playfield-area-protectors

#664 9 years ago

Wow, I need to share this because it was such a rush.

I just earned five gems:
- Finish Emerald City Multiball
- Munchkin Multiball
- Haunted Forest Multiball
- 50 Yellow Brick Road
- Flipper Frenzy

I did NOT:
- Melt the witch
- Mega jackpot Rescue Multiball
- 10 Jackpots Fireball Frenzy

Game set to:
- 3 ball
- "Extra Easy" settings installed (hey, this is my machine. I'll set it the way I want)
- Extra ball at 50,000

The worst part of this is that "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" now seems within reach and I will probably spend the rest of my existence fruitlessly pursuing it, getting agonizingly closer each time. "Man's reach exceeds his grasp."

One thing I had not noticed before: after you finish the game, the attract screen that describes all the gems actually highlights the gems that were earned in the previous game and dims the ones that were not earned.

-------------------

What is the greatest number of gems you have earned?

P5280005.JPGP5280005.JPG

1 month later
#683 9 years ago

So which gems did you miss? (It seems the most popular ones to miss are fireball frenzy and rescue multiball.)

#685 9 years ago

The finale seems so close and within reach, yet just out of grasp. It's exactly the kind of thing that keeps fans coming back for more.

#700 9 years ago

You don't know stacking until you've stacked on Woz.

2 weeks later
#716 9 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

I see it mentioned a Haunted Forest MB, if so how do you achieve it?

Hit the pop bumpers until the "Collect" arrow is lit. Send the ball down the collect corridor to start a Haunted Forest scording mode. There are four:
1) Haunted shots
2) Haunted targets
3) Haunted holes
4) Haunted bumpers

When you finish all four, hit the pops and "Collect" again and you'll have Haunted multiball and the purple gem.

#734 9 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

One more question. Has any of you ever lost the key to their WOZ?
Oh and if drilling is required, is the coindoor lock the same as a Stern?
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=20

Yes, I've lost a key and had to drill.
That key lock will fit basically every pinball machine, including Woz. In fact, I make it a point to always remove the stock key and replace it with that exact lock. That way, every machine I have uses the same key. In the worst case, you are one Pinball Life order away from having the key you need.

#736 9 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

1. The machine I'm buying is a standard. It shows that it's #184/1000 on the apron...I though only the emerald city LEs were numbered. What's with that?

As far as I know, every machine is numbered. You either have a numbered Emerald edition, a numbered standard, or a numbered Ruby Red edition.

#746 8 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Can someone tell me what type of cable I should be using for hooking up an external sub? Should I use the line out? Or should I just tap right into the sub like my Sterns?

Yep, use the line-out. Incidentally, I've known a few people (including myself) who found that the various cables between the PC and the line-out (at the cabinet rear) came loose during shipment, resulting in buzzing and other strange noises in the subwoofer. It should be straightforward to re-seat all the connectors, which are all standard 3.5mm headphone jacks.

#747 8 years ago

dupe.

#769 8 years ago

That's the way my standard topper looks. The front side is smooth and the back side is textured/etched.

#771 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

You do have the topper reversed unless they started etching them reversed. The etched side should be on the back.

Mine looks like the picture. The etching is on the back.

#774 8 years ago

I wouldn't trust the flier. It also shows a standard with emerald armor. It's probably a Photoshop rather than a real photo.

The side with the etching goes on the back.

1 week later
#787 8 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

One more question on Haunted modes. Do they get progressively harder to qualify and light collect?

Yes

#795 8 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Actually, no. Perhaps they should, though.
Sequence:
HAUNTED while nothing running and collect not lit->light collect to start a haunted mode
HAUNTED while collect is lit->item value increases
HAUNTED while mode running->+10s
HAUNTED while HMB running->requalify jackpot if not lit. otherwise nothing iirc

I was thinking of the number of pop bumper hits needed to light collect. Is that the same? Maybe I just suck because it feels like more hits are needed to light the next COLLECT.

1 week later
#818 8 years ago

I wonder if the strategy is actually very simple because of the stackability. That is, maybe the strategy is as straightforward as:
1) Stack everything (Emerald City, Rescue, Fireball, Muchkin, Crystal Ball, Haunted Forest)
2) Don't drain

This may be more of a theoretical exercise than a practical strategy, but I wonder if it really is possible to stack everything listed above.

#829 8 years ago

My machine drops the target during ball search. It clears a ball stuck behind it. Perhaps there is a minor misadjustment on your machine.

#845 8 years ago

Yes, you are sick. Welcome. You are correct that the only differences are bling: backglass, topper, armor, wire ramps. The game play is identical across all editions aside from the shaker that you mentioned, which is standard in some editions.

#847 8 years ago

I think the main obstacle for Kahanaohana getting a used Woz is an address in Hawaii. How would that even work?

3 weeks later
#859 8 years ago

I had to sell my WOZ because my family lost interest in it (although for a while, the family was more interested in it than any other pinball machine I have had in the house). After experiencing the oceanic depth of the WOZ ruleset, other machines feel like a lukewarm puddle.

1 week later
#863 8 years ago
Quoted from Geremy13:

Lastly, what is the difference between and LE (that people are dumping, but I can't find.)... and a Standard...

Compared to a Standard, an LE:
1) Has a different topper
2) Has a wooden apron
3) Has the emerald green armor and habitrails (instead of chrome)
4) Has a standard shaker motor, although this can be added as an option on the Standard
5) Has standard Invisiglass, although this can be added as an option on the Standard

In summary, all the differences are cosmetic except for the shaker motor, which can be added.

I believe at one point in the past you could find an EE for $6500. But those days are over now that the new pricing has been in effect for a while, unless you settle for a well routed machine.

1 week later
#865 8 years ago

The game play is identical in all versions. The only differences are with appearance and options such as a shaker motor and Invisiglass.

1 month later
#880 8 years ago

Melting the witch is possibly one of the most adrenaline inducing moments I can recall in pinball. You could probably make the castle shot and the ramp shot all day long, but when the when it is time to melt the witch, you lock a ball in the castle VUK and the music changes to those tense and rising notes, the ramp entrance suddenly seems very narrow.

It's an excellent example of rules, lights, and music conspiring to make the player a sweaty nervous wreck. If you make the shot, the ensuing release of tension is that much greater.

#922 8 years ago

The difficulty of the left drain can be adjusted. In the easiest difficulty, you only have to hit each target once and it is carried over across balls.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 91.00
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

14,685 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Northport, NY
$ 16.95
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Wanted
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

13,000 (OBO)
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nosro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-fan-club-members-only?tu=nosro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.