20240314_221748 (resized).jpg
20240314_215727 (resized).jpg
841FD4A1-7C8E-4E32-973D-DD8D05C4902E (resized).png
3D72BC84-0D17-44A1-B683-A17D4B722FF3 (resized).jpeg
WOZ lightboard 2 (resized).jpg
WOZ lightboard 1 (resized).jpg
20240309_110050 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by TigerLaw (10 years ago)

Post #2584 Fan Replacement details Posted by bhwolf (7 years ago)

Post #7017 How to tell if your WOZ has 2.0 boards Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #7022 Balls not making it to shooter lane from trough - Fix Posted by LTG (5 years ago)

Post #7126 Location of the latest software update/version Posted by mavantix (5 years ago)

Post #7128 Update 7.01 notes - released April 16, 2019 Posted by thewool (5 years ago)

Post #7752 Fan Replacement how to and links Posted by f3honda4me (4 years ago)

Post #11015 Adjustment advice for the monkey Posted by LTG (3 years ago)

Post #12537 7.03 Code Release Posted by bobukcat (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Radius118.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3173 7 years ago

Joined the club!

Just picked up a lightly routed standards. Needs a thorough cleaning and some flipper rebuilding but it's a nice game. Bummer about the scrapes on the right side of the backbox though.

Looks like it is an earlier example with screened cab. "born on" date of 07/25/13.

It also looks like the game is running pretty old software. The lower right corner in the menu system says "Wizard of Oz Version 1.25" I assume this means the game is running 1.25 of the code. I see it's up to 6.06. Any issues with upgrading that far? Or just follow the JJP instructions and go to town?

Another thing I noticed is the fans in the machine are pretty loud. I'll have to check into that.

I look forward to discovering more about this game.

I already have Cliffys on order and will be ordering pinbits plastic protector set. It also looks like using a pinball life stern shaker motor is reasonably straightforward. Looks like I just need to cut off the wiring kit connectors, shorten the wire and crimp on a different molex plug and it's plug and play.

Anything else I should consider? I see there are some lighting kits available, and the game could certainly use some GI lighting, but it looks like it should be pretty easy to add some light strips since the game should have 12v easily available. That being said though, is there a preferred spot to access power?

Thanks!

#3180 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Welcome Radius!
6.06 is a full update so you should be able to jump straight to it. It only takes about 5 minutes to do.
As far as lightning goes I just added the lit winki and state fair baloon. There are additional kits available but that was enough for me.
Its probably too late to prevent chipping but it still would be good to get the munchkin protector.
Congrats on getting an amazing game!

Software upgraded.. Very painless process. One of these days my old PB10 ROM burner is going to be useless.. But not yet!

Pic of my munchkin mini-pf attached.. Definitely needs some work but not the end of the world.. Anyone know how much a new unpopulated munchkin mini-pf is? What about a full unpopulated pf set?

It also needs a new plastic over the drop target. Available piece by piece or do you have to buy a complete set like Stern?

Considering what I have heard about playfield problems with this game, I am pretty impressed with the lack of wear. Before I upgraded the software the audits showed a little over 7000 games with no protection at all other than a small piece of mylar at the wizard (?) saucer kick out.

I am thinking that if I decide to keep this game then I'm going to strip it and clear it. The factory clear is *so* thin...

I haven't looked, but is a "kit" necessary for state fair balloon lighting? Seems like it's a standard pop bumper body, so the holes should be there to put a wedge socket in it. Then just wire up to 12v. I have already found a few 12v sources under the playfield.

IMG_20170209_144654396_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20170209_144654396_HDR (resized).jpg

IMG_20170209_144705257_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20170209_144705257_HDR (resized).jpg

IMG_20170209_144722730 (resized).jpgIMG_20170209_144722730 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170209_144648818_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20170209_144648818_HDR (resized).jpg

IMG_20170209_144733443 (resized).jpgIMG_20170209_144733443 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170209_144917699 (resized).jpgIMG_20170209_144917699 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170209_144927351 (resized).jpgIMG_20170209_144927351 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170209_144943607_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20170209_144943607_HDR (resized).jpg

#3189 7 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I picked up these 2 slot machine topper inserts today. I plan on designing/machining a couple custom toppers for my WOZECLE. I plan on back-lighting these w/ 12 volt LED strips.

That looks like it will be very cool..

I haven't looked at it yet, but I was thinking it would be really cool to change the stock topper illumination from green to color changing. Would definitely match the effects on the playfield. Has anyone tried it?

#3193 7 years ago

Something else I noticed today while poking around this game.

It seems the little mini-monitor behind the crystal ball has a 2gb microSD card in it. Has anyone stuck that thing in their computer to see what's on it? I'd be curious to know if the images could be changed.

#3201 7 years ago

Question..

Does anyone know the width of the WoZ lockdown bar? Mine is all bent up and I'd like to replace it. I was wondering if the Williams/Bally widebody lockdown bar would fit.

Anyone know?

#3203 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Not sure if they used a williams lock down or not... I thought it was just the basic mechs they licensed (pops, flippers, slingshots, etc).
JJP tends to have reasonable prices on their replacement parts, I'd check with them on a price first.

I'm pretty sure it's Williams-style - just don't know about the width. The lockdown bar receiver looks a whole lot like a Williams unit.

WoZ *seems* narrower than TZ, STTNG, etc, but hard to tell for sure. I could measure but not sure where to measure from to get the correct "spec" width.

#3205 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

The original WOZ is built into an old TZ cabinet so it's the same width. For a replacement front lock down bar You might try to reach out to Terry at pinball life if it's a standard WOZ anyway.

Perfect.. That's what I needed to know. Yes, PBL is where I was planning on buying a replacement for my standard.

Thank you!

#3218 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Possibly a paused mode, or a way to pause a long game?

Yes please! Just like TZ home... Had a *great* game going Saturday... Had to let my multi-ball drain cause the post-lady was at my door ringing the bell.

#3223 7 years ago
Quoted from xsonics2k2:

In preparation for the code update...
I installed the Witch Smoke Mod, it looks great!

Very nice!

I think I am the last guy on the last list.. So it'll be a while before I see mine. :/

#3226 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

It will be worth the wait.

I know.. It's a very nice mod.

It's ok.. It will be at least 7-8 months before I am ready to install it. I have ordered replacement playfields for my game. Going to clear them and they have to wait 6 months for the clear to cure before I do the swap. I did it that way so I can keep playing my game until I am ready to rebuild it.

Oh.. and I was wondering something. My game is a standard. I was under the impression the production run on standards was unlimited. If that is indeed the case, how come my game has this sticker on the apron? There is nothing fancy about the apron. Just a standard green metal apron. It doesn't have the wood top like the EC games, etc. So what's the deal?

IMG_20170213_203348171 (resized).jpgIMG_20170213_203348171 (resized).jpg

#3228 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

The first 1000 standards were numbered... Being an early standard you might also have the direct print and clearcoated cabinet... but I have no idea where they stopped that at.

Ok.. Now I understand.. Yes I do have the screen printed and cleared cabinet. I have to admit it's quite pretty.

Thanks for the info on the production sticker.

#3239 7 years ago

Starting to check out some mods for my game..

I noticed there are 2 different makers of castle wall mods that I have found so far. Modfather and back alley.

The modfather walls are $120 versus the back alley at $225. Big difference..

And... with the red smoke witch mod the modfather's witch's well shouldn't be needed, correct?

Any opinions on one versus the other?

#3243 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

I personally like the look of the back alley walls better but never seen them physically side by side

I agree... But... Do they look $100 better? Hard to say..

Quoted from DeathHimself:

The Indypinhead throne room sleeve I feel is a must also it really makes the wizard head pop out along with his lighted Winkie guard target and of course the wicked witch red smoke mod which I hope to get some day and finally mezel mods lighted flame pots for throne room.

I ordered indypinhead's lighted winkie guard mod.. But haven't seen pics of the throne room sleeve. Any links?

#3247 7 years ago

Thanks for the pics..

Dang it! I wish I had known he made that when I ordered the illuminated winkie yesterday!

#3249 7 years ago

Indypinheads is CNC and not 3D printed, the 3D ones will break soon enough and Indy has yet to have one of the CNC targets to bust.

Yes, that's why I ordered one of Indypinheads drop targets...

#3253 7 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

The mezels are working on a new and more robust one. Soon I think it also has real fire and maybe a holographic winkie. But....Those are just rumors

War of the Winkies!!!

#3256 7 years ago

My Winkie is harder then your Winkie
and pops up faster too!

I am way past the point of getting into Winkie contests...

Which is why I don't drive a Corvette or some jacked up 4x4.

#3268 7 years ago
Quoted from flyt100:

I just tried my TZ lock down bar on my WOZ 75th for you. Perfect fit, looks identical...

Thank you.. I figured that was the case..

I ordered one from pinball life..

Then I found out they are *$40* cheaper direct from JJP.. So I am ordering one of those and probably sending the PBL lockdown bar back.

Which also means that if anyone needs a lockdown bar for a TZ - and also probably any of the williams WPC widebody games it's cheaper to buy one from JJP!

#3281 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

I'm just glad that a more viable option for ongoing support is out now. So far no issues for me and lets hope it stays that way but it scared me that the boards were using an obsolete system composed of discontinued components... 5 and 7.5 volt.

It is all assumption at this point. Until JJP actually announces or makes available some type of retrofit kit for the earlier games then it doesn't exist.

#3283 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

True but seems very probable.

One can only hope that it happens.. and then really hope it's reasonably priced. :/

#3285 7 years ago

I seem to remember someone saying that JJP was backordered on munchkin mini playfields.

I called JJP to order some parts and it turns out they have all 3 of the playfields in stock. The mini's are $150 each and the main is $700.

That being said, I also found a source for NOS playfields for $300 each. The playfields were purchased directly from Jack at a show back in March of 2013.

So from what I have learned so far about WoZ playfields, they are almost certainly Bader playfields. I personally don't think this is a bad thing, but I suspect some people may be scared of a Bader playfield even though the failure rate is actually pretty low. Not a big deal to me as I am going to clear it anyways.

The person that has these is a well known pinsider but I don't want to publicly publish his name in this post. If anyone is interested in obtaining one of these $300 playfields PM me and I will let you know who to contact.

#3288 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The playfields they were selling for $300 were not fit to be used in a game. I believe there were defects or substandard clearcoat.

We shall see.. I took a chance on one since I plan to clear it anyways.. I will report how it turns out.

I would of course recommend a quality clear on playfield like this anyways.

#3291 7 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

does he have the munchkin pf as well?
Id like to find a non populated one for a cheap price

No, he just has the main..

#3318 7 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

That is a GI light pipe".
Instead of using the typical #44 or #555 bulbs, JJP uses surface mount LEDs under the playfield. The light boards are directly under the holes in the playfield that provide GI lighting.

Yeah.. and IMHO they don't work for beans...

That light pipe thing loses a LOT of light from the LEDs. I wish they had done it a different way.

#3324 7 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

It might interest you here that my new game is running version 6.10. I was previously told by a support person at JJP that 6.06 was the final version and I still have that version on my standard. Perhaps 6.10 is an upcoming new/final version?

Do you mind taking a pic of this software revision as shown in the menu screen on your game and posting? I am wanting to follow up on this to see if I can find out what the deal is with this version.

Quoted from netcivil:

I was told by a JJP dealer this morning that "The new machines (built in the last 2 months) now employ an entirely new system that is on par with the hobbit and dialed in. They are no longer daisy chained together, they are independent.".
I know nothing more or less than that.

Can you share which JJP dealer told you this? I'd like to find out if this is indeed the case before I start on my routed WoZ restore.

EDIT: Maybe this is old news, but the proof is in the documentation. Guess what? All WoZ games produced after 12/15/2016 have the WoZ 2.0 lighting system. It is very very similar to the system used in Hobbit - it has a BAG board like Hobbit and a Comms Hub board.

Attached is a screenshot of the opening paragraph in the latest manual that specifically lays out how the new 2.0 light system works.

So it's true. WoZ 2.0 lighting system is a complete re-do of the light board system similar to how Hobbit is done.

Hopefully JJP will come up with some type of kit to replace the old serial system with the new parallel system. Here's hoping they do it AND make it affordable.

Page E-15 (resized).jpgPage E-15 (resized).jpg

#3328 7 years ago
Quoted from netcivil:

if anyone knows where to get replacement plastics, the entire set or just the slingshot plastics (the ones I need to replace), I'd love to get my hands on some.
Also a good source for a protector set, need a set for WoZ and TWD.
thanks!

Plastic set available direct from JJP for the reasonable price of $150. Includes all plastics - including clears - except the rainbow plastic.

Pinbits sells nice protectors. Indypin500 (?) Also sells a nice protector set.

#3331 7 years ago

Something else I was just thinking about....

Does anyone have a list of compatible PC motherboards for WoZ? I was thinking that since PC technology moves so fast, it won't take long before those boards are long gone and not made anymore.

Kinda like what happened to P2K back in the day.. Remember that?

It would be nice to know which boards will work so shopping for the future can happen now while they are still possibly plentiful and cheap.

Anyone know?

#3333 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

I don't think we have to worry *quite* as much as P2K which used a custom PCI card and a proprietary OS and a parallel port which was already on its way to being obsolete at the time.
WOZ runs on a pretty common linux distro and peripherals are USB which isn't going away anytime soon.
Still, doesn't hurt to have a spare on hand.

No, I understand that. But it could definitely happen. WoZ runs on Ubuntu Linux but I doubt that when JJP releases code updates that they use a newer kernel that supports newer onboard peripherals on newer motherboards. So it seems that eventually you'd run into a board with a USB interface chip or *something* that the WoZ Ubuntu kernel doesn't have drivers for. Then something wouldn't work or heaven forbid you got a kernel panic...

Just seems wise to pick up one or 2 "compatible" motherboards now while they can still be had cheap. I mean after all, I'm sure WoZ is using some cheap board that can be had for like $39 or something from Newegg...

#3335 7 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Thread regarding mobo's for WOZ and Hobbit with PN's and links:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-hobbit-maimboard-model
Considering that they are not expensive, I wouldnt mind having one on hand as a spare part, but unless something beyond x86_64 comes out I'm not too concerned about parts availability.

Sweet! Thanks for the link..

I wonder why that thread didn't pop up on my search??

#3350 7 years ago
Quoted from Spg101:

Interesting, it would appear my machine was manufactured on 12/15/16 but I received the "old" manual with mine. Hoping I have the new system...

Let's see a pic of the bottom of the playfield.. Several pics actually..

Since your production date is right on the line between WoZ 1.0 and 2.0 I'd be curious to know which system you ended up with.

I have to say the cynic in me thinks they probably did not publicize anything about the upgraded light system on WoZ 2.0 so they wouldn't sabotage sales of 1.0 games still left in inventory or on the line.

#3355 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes.

All the big green things in your pictures.
Your second picture down. WOZ1 or the fish board. Near the top of the board, see V2.0 ? You have the latest version 2 boards. In use since mid December 2016.
LTG : )

Darn it Lloyd.. Beat me to it..

Lucky you.. Yes, you have version 2.0 of the lamp board system. Thank you for taking those pics.

#3359 7 years ago
Quoted from Spg101:

Schabs81, sorry no mods yet. Still enjoying "as is"

Suggestion....

www.passionforpinball.com

Cliffy has something like 15 protector pieces available for this game. Do yourself a favor and buy them all. It will help protect your investment.

#3361 7 years ago
Quoted from Spg101:

Radius118 . The Ciffy's arrived yesterday, full set and even got a T-shirt. I already have a chip in my upper playing field but JJP sent me a new one . I will get them on ASAP.

Nice... Have fun installing.. There is a lot of stuff to disassemble to get the full set installed.

#3372 7 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

Pinbox for P2K machines has run into install trouble as needed downloads to Ubuntu are no long available for it's version

Uh oh... That's not good..

Not to go too far off the topic, but what's the workaround for that?

#3376 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Which leads me to a question, what type of ball do you use in your game?
Also, is it my imagination or do the super shiny balls tend to produce less dust? Possibly being harder steel?

Plain old carbon steel balls that I run in a rotary polisher. Your special shiny balls are most likely chromium and therefore not suitable in games that have magnets, as you have discovered.

I think you are imaging the dust aspect. The majority of "dust" in a game comes from the rubbers as they slowly disintegrate. Also coil dust from wear and tear.

#3377 7 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

there are some linux commands apparently to tell the OS not to try download those specific updates and the install proceeds and pinbox stilll works
might be easier for somebody to just clone a pinbox hard drive for other people who are not linux gurus?

Great idea.. Too bad it probably wouldn't work because of the huge variation on hardware that it can be installed on.

#3446 7 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

Whoa dude, take a chill pill. I was simply reiterating what people have been talking about concerning there WOZ who had early unbuffered boards and their replacement of them. I have also had many a conversation with WOZ owners at shows with early productions who have had to replace all their light boards, so no "hogwash" is intended. As far as updating to the 2.0 boards it is not possible and I quote from Frank over at JJP "there is not an option to switch to the new 2.0 LEDs…major changes" but maybe in the future a harness adapter/code update may make it possible

There is always a way.. Off the top of my head the following would be needed at a minimum:

All new light boards
The BAG board and a Comms Hub board
Wiring for the above
Driver board? Unknown
Software update to support the new boards? Version 6.10 that has been reported to be installed on the newest games?

That's all I can think of at the moment. The way to find out would be to have a new WoZ 2.0 sitting next to an older WoZ and perform a side by side comparison - along with some probably wire tracing and detective work.

It can *definitely* be done, the question is at what cost?

I feel that JJP should come up with some type of affordable kit to updated these games based on:

1: The plethora of light board issues that some machines have had
2: The fact that JJP will be dealing with light board issues on these machines for years to come
3: As a goodwill gesture towards WoZ purchasers

It would go very far in the community to help cement JJP's reputation for taking care of their customers to make this kit subsidized. AKA, not FREE, but not full pop retail either for those who are out of warranty.

Edit: I should mention that I love my game and I have been very happy with the people at JJP I have dealt with so far. But on the other hand this is an issue that really needs a final solution. There is precedent for something like this in the automotive world. Car companies do this all the time when endemic problems are found and resolved via owner notification programs.

#3449 7 years ago

Sure you can do the hardware aspect, but like I said unless JJP decides to do a code update, that is the only way it will happen.

The code update is already in the wild. All WoZ games made after 12/15/16 already have the 2.0 lamp board system in them. Which means the code on these machines supports it. So that's a non-issue. It's the hardware and wiring changes that are the issue.

If JJP introduced an update kit for $500 I would be all over it. Or maybe even $750 if I knew that it would reduce the likelihood of lamp board issues on my game by 95%. Granted I am a second owner of a very early game. But I have *already* had to replace one lamp board in the first 2 weeks of owning the game. Fortunately the prior owner included some spares with the game.

#3451 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

And just to add, the WOZ 2.0 lighting is based on the Hobbit system but it is not identical to the Hobbit system. That is, it is not wire for wire, board for board the Hobbit system. It is more a derivative of the Hobbit setup. I doubt that clears anything up but I tried.

I can't see JJP investing the resources in developing a derivative of the Hobbit system for WoZ unless there was a very large improvement to be had. Yet another reason to push for JJP making a kit.

#3453 7 years ago

Cool! The majority of WOZ owners are before 12/15/16 though, so the market to make additional updates to support a harness would apply to maybe a hundred people or so wanting to do it, the real money maker would be to create code or hardware update to work with older models

I think the real money maker - at least for the long term - is the goodwill and positive impression it would make in the community for JJP. Not to say they don't already have a positive impression, but this would certainly add to it.

I mean let's face it. If you are thinking about buying title X from a company who has had issues with taking care of their customers lately versus title Z from JJP who has a great reputation of taking care of their customers - even out of warranty - I know which game I would buy, right?

#3456 7 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

WOZ has technically supported 2.0 lighting (well, both light systems) since the last ISO update (6.06), though the lamp ordering changed since that release, hence 6.10 exists. There is a WOZ update in the works that should hit beta this week that will get the corrected lamp order out for everyone as well as some extra goodies.

Woohoo!

Thanks for chiming in Keith! Updates always appreciated!

Now how do we go about updating older games with 2.0 lighting system since it's just a hardware and wiring issue. Heck, I can make my own CAT cables.. Just need the boards and information on how to wire the BAG board and Comms Hub board. And if there is some type of update required for the power driver board.

I love my game.. I just don't want to have to constantly worry if this is the day another lamp board fails. Hence my pining for an update kit.

All of my games keep me coming back for more - for the most part. But WoZ always keeps me coming back for "just one more" even when I know I don't have time....

I have another game that does that too.. LOTR... I can't remember who wrote the software for that one though..

#3463 7 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Every lamp board (and, afaik, cable) has to be replaced. This is not for the faint of heart. It is likely a minimum of an 8 hour or so task. I have no idea if they're even offering to sell 2.0 lighting kits or not.
You wouldn't really have to change your io board, just plug the usb cable that goes into the lighting section into the bag board instead.

Word so far is no update kit available..

As I posted earlier I am hoping that JJP makes a kit available for the older games, for a variety of reasons. I am also hoping they make it available at a subsidized cost to make it affordable in order to help all the owners of previous games who have gone down the lamp board issue road. I am not advocating free.. But $500 would be an ideal price point. I think even $750 would be worth it to a certain number of owners.

Granted, not everyone will have the technical ability to accomplish an upgrade like this, but for those of us who are well versed in restoring games, or are capable of installing a cleared playfield or replacement blank playfield, an upgrade like this is not that hard of a task.

All that being said I - and I hope quite few other people - are hoping a kit gets developed so we can breathe a sigh of relief regarding WoZ lamp board issues.. I love my game, but I would love to no longer have the worry that when I fire up my game to play it that I have yet another lamp board issue.

I think what we need to get a upgrade kit done is someone advocating from the inside. We can post on Pinside all we want, phone Frank and Victor in tech support over and over and bang on the castle gate, but nothing will happen until someone inside JJP says "Hey, maybe we should put together a kit for WoZ 1.0 owners and make it reasonably priced." Who that will be is anyone's guess but the seed needs to be planted somewhere.

#3466 7 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

Just got my rr toinght 2.0 build date 2/7/17

Sweet looking game!

I would love to be able to take a look at one of the WoZ 2.0 games in person. It looks like the GIs with the new lamp board system are much improved.

#3468 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Talk to Jack at shows.

Good idea Lloyd..

Hopefully he will make an appearance at the Northwest show this year.. Then I'll ask him about it.

#3470 7 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

It looks like he will be at the NW show this year.

Nice!

Will be cool to give Dialed In a whirl.

#3473 7 years ago
Quoted from BlueIrocGuy:

Getting into the light issue discussions here, Is there any gi troubleshooting that an owner can do? I've got a few gi lights that show different colors other than white when in test mode. Is there a thread or some sort of flow chart to follow, or just go ahead and make a call to tech support? Thanks for any info!

Go in to test mode and cycle through the colors in the test. If any of the LEDs on the lamp boards do not show the correct colors as shown on the LCD then that lamp board is bad.

If you are accomplished at soldering, you can check the board for cold solder joints. I have heard of a few boards fixed this way.

#3488 7 years ago
Quoted from shicketmaster:

i don't expect anything from a manufacturer once the warranty runs out, but I'm not going to pretend that a crappy design is a good design. A pinball machine is a wear and tear item, but an LED lighting system doesn't get much wear and tear. This is a flat out manufacturers defect based on design and the one year warranty is very arbitrary. If you have the poor design, it's only a matter of time. Some will happen within warranty and some won't, but these machines are still infants in the pinball world and this problem can't be fixed by looking for the burnt connector or replacing some simple component. This problem will blemish and devalue these early machines for many years to come if an upgrade at a reasonable price isn't developed. You can only keep replacing crap with crap as long as the crap is still available and it won't be forever.

While I don't like to have a negative attitude about things, what you just said above is true. Which is why I have started politely banging the drum about an update kit. Even if it costs some money to do it will be worth it.

I agree that eventually first generation lamp boards will no longer be available. The supply of parts will dry up and it's highly unlikely JJP will run more of them to service what will be 10 year old machines at that point. Especially since that system has been deprecated.

#3497 7 years ago
Quoted from Spg101:

Need some help on my WoZ Munchkin land Cliffy install. #1 does the playfield tilt up anymore to give easier acces? #2 I don't see a 4 pin white/gray connector or the 2 pin violet/black connector per WoZ manual page e-4.

The playfield pulls all the way out and then stands up leaning against the backbox.

The violet/black wire does not have a connector under the playfield. It disconnects from the lamp board under the rainbow plastic.

To make it easier just disconnect everything that goes up through that hole.

#3550 7 years ago
Quoted from Spg101:

I have not been able to get a single "RESCUE" on the upper castle pf. Appears my upper flipper is not resting at full back hindering my power. Any recommendations? Here's a pic.

Check your coil stop. The screws fell out of mine. If the same happened to you then you'll have to pull the castle mini to get at it.

If you do have to pull the castle mini, take the opportunity to clean and wax back there.

#3567 7 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Thought I'd post pics of the only spare woz emerald edition direct print cabinet in existence. Was what we used when designing the sound system

Wanna sell the bare backbox?

1 month later
#3751 7 years ago

I am thinking of getting on of the green city mods for my WoZ.

Problem is I can't decide between the Mezelmods one or the Back Alley Creations one.

Any thoughts/advice on this? Anyone seen them both in person? Is the BAC one worth the extra dough?

I was also thinking of back lighting it somehow and getting rid of the GI spot that goes in that back corner. Haven't really put much thought into how I would do it yet, but I'm sure I can come up with a way.

Thanks,
Michael

3 weeks later
#3873 6 years ago
Quoted from pinstadium:

I wasn't sure which thread you would see. I posted here also. I took a couple pictures of the clearance and mounting you want to see near the castle walls for your RR WOZ

Is there enough clearance to lift the playfield or does the light strip have to be removed first?

How are they attached? I read something about magnets but how does this work? It can't be using the cabinet trim as that is stainless and in theory shouldn't be magnetic. Even if it is there is the wood between the light strip and the side trim.

3 weeks later
#3943 6 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

It sounds like a hassle, but may still be worth it if someone is doing a playfield swap anyway.
It would be great if JJP provided kits and instructions for owners who have crappy ecle playfields they are swapping, especially if they are going to incur the cost to upgrade themselves.

Exactly...

I was vocal in advocating for a conversion kit several months ago. I am swapping my chipped playfield for a new one and I would love to upgrade if the cost was reasonable. My only beef was that JJP should provide such a kit at a discount to take care of the design flaw with the original system. Require trade-in of your old system lamp boards so they can be repaired for games that people opt not to upgrade.

There are issues with the 1.0 lamp board system and everyone knows it. JJP knows it and we know it. Just because someone hasn't had any issues at all doesn't mean they won't. It's a known issue and eventually you *will* have a failure. Some people have had tons of failures. Personally, I would rather be proactive and ditch the system with known issues and go with the improved version if I could get a kit.

I still feel that since the 1.0 system has been abandoned lamp boards will eventually dry up. JJP has publicly committed to supporting the system. But for how long? When does it become economically unfeasible to run new parts to support the old system? Only time will tell.

#3945 6 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

Another talking point for moving to the 2.0 system is the led driver in each 1.0 led board, the Allegro A6281, was discontinued late 2014. I assume JJP has a stockpile of these but once they're gone, they're GONE.

Good point and dovetails nicely into my point about how long 1.0 board will be available.

8 months later
#5100 6 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Hi guys, Satan here, just wanted to let you know how I setup my WoZ. Turned off the ball saver. Limit the game to two extra balls that are quite difficult to earn. Took the middle STDM prevention post out. Moved the outlanes to their widest positions. Changed the ruby slippers with lightning flippers.

There is a term for that. It's called: masochism

1 month later
#5380 6 years ago

So can anyone give me an idea of what kit is "best" for brightening up the game - especially in a dark room? The game is dark enough that I frequently lose track of the ball.

I know of the kit from pinballbulbs.com and the pin stadium kit, but the pin stadium stuff seems a little overkill for what I am trying to accomplish.

Does anyone else make a "plug and play" kit that works well?

I was thinking of simply making some molex "Y" connectors and adding some additional spotlights to the GI circuit on top of the slings, etc.

Opinions?

#5387 6 years ago
Quoted from JIM_Z:

I did the spots and it worked out great. Purchased all the parts from JJP. No connector from them but they were easy to splice in. Remember they are 12 volt.

That looks nice. Did you do all the soldering and heat shrinking on the spots or did they come that way from JJP? If you did them then that's some nice work. Also, do you happen to know the length of the spacers you used for the spots? That would help me out a bunch if I decide to go that route and make them myself.

Quoted from fnosm:

I did the kit from Pinball Bulbs and that worked great with the under backbox and trough lights in addition to the spots. - Totally playable in the dark. The game should have come this way.
I then did the Pinstadium kit as well and that is more than enough. Absolutely amazing how bright your game will become with the Stadium rails. Only downside is that it is super good at illuminating dust on the underside of the glass too. If that kind of thing drives you nuts (like me) then I would suggest sticking to the pinballbulbs kits.

Thanks for the info on that. What I really like about the stadiums is they are interactive with the GI and flashers. But I certainly don't like the cost. I am thinking $280 for a set fully optioned is pretty damn expensive. My understanding is the latest kit from pinballbulbs.com has 2 fewer spots but brighter bulbs. There is also no longer a need for the power supply board - probably because they have switched to 12v bulbs. They also stay on at all times too. Not sure if that's a bad thing or not when playing some of the "dark" modes on the game.

1 month later
#5456 5 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

You would need to check what the monitor supports.. I’m not certain if the use of VGA was do a monitor limitation or motherboard. If the monitor supports HDMI you can get a current generation motherboard on Amazon for about 50 bucks and swap it out.

Be careful with this.

The most recent JJP games are equipped with a MSI H81M-P33 motherboard which has VGA and DVI video outputs. There is a version of that board - the H81M-E33 - that is supposedly exactly the same except it has VGA and HDMI.

I can tell you from experience that the E33 board does NOT work in Woz. As stated, according to MSI the boards are identical except for DVI vs HDMI but I think that is incorrect. There must be some type of difference in the video section of the board that prevents the Woz software from booting.

Also, P33 boards are drying up in the retail channel, so you might want to consider picking one up as a spare while you can still get one.

You can run a P33 in an older Woz, but you will have to upgrade the processor at a minimum. I went with an i3-4170 and stuck an 8gb stick of ram in it. The game now boots up a full 10 seconds faster than before and the animation transitions are much smoother.

As for 720 vs 1080, the capability of the monitor determines that. The software will automatically figure out what your monitor supports and run the appropriate resolution. 1080p will run just fine on a VGA cable. DVI is better, but you don't have to.

#5458 5 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

What are they currently putting in new build games?

Don't know about POTC, but I know all new build WOZ, Hobbit and DI games are using the H81M-P33

#5459 5 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

**Snip**Currently I'm waiting to see if they ever release a 2.0 kit for the game (been talk of it for years now though).

It exists and it's available. I installed a kit in my early production game.

Call JJP and ask about it. Last I heard they were offering the kit for $800 or so for a limited time, then it was going to go up to $1100 or something like that. I could be wrong about that though.

#5482 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

**Snip**

Then powered it up. NO LIGHTS. F*CK ! That took awhile to figure out. I had power at all the LED boards and bag and hub boards. Frank figured out that my game had two USB cables on the front right side of the I/O board. One for switches, one for LED boards. I unplugged the LED boards one and voila we had 2.0 Lights.
I stripped out the unused LED USB cable. Then zip tied all the new wiring under the playfield so it looked nice.
It has been working fine ever since.

LMAO! I made the exact same mistake. I forgot to unplug the "800" USB connector from the I/O board.

And I did the same. Stripped out all of the old wiring, etc. Much cleaner that way.

#5483 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Will these be posted somewhere? I would love to read them before deciding whether to purchase the upgrade.
That said, I kind of doubt I will pull the trigger on this. Just reading your description made me start to sweat.

It really isn't that bad. If you have enough mechanical ability to rebuild flippers and other mechs or do stuff like rebuild WMS GI connectors, etc, then you can pull this off.

#5549 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Thanks for the tips everyone. LTG has helped alot. I think the lamp board cables green/red are very sensitive. If u pull to hard trying to get them out of the board, the wires come out of the connector. I think this is my problem some were at the beginning. I just ordered 13 cables to replace them all from 29-1 / 1-2 and so on. This has been one hell of a ride for sure.

I have to ask...

If you are going through this much effort why not consider upgrading to the 2.0 system? Then all of these problems with fragile cables, defective lamp boards, etc, all go away.

#5553 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

What's the cost of 2.0?

I don't know what it is right now, but my understanding is the price was going to be $800 for a while as a "promotion" and then go up to $1100.00

It certainly couldn't hurt to call JJP back and verify this information. If you do, please post back so everyone will know what it is.

Granted it's not cheap, but it's a good investment. The 2.0 system is far more robust with better engineering and design. This system was first introduced on Hobbit and from my understanding the incidence of lamp board failure with this system is far lower than the 1.0 system.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

14,356 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Roswell, GA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 5.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Radius118.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-fan-club-members-only?tu=Radius118 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.