20240314_221748 (resized).jpg
20240314_215727 (resized).jpg
841FD4A1-7C8E-4E32-973D-DD8D05C4902E (resized).png
3D72BC84-0D17-44A1-B683-A17D4B722FF3 (resized).jpeg
WOZ lightboard 2 (resized).jpg
WOZ lightboard 1 (resized).jpg
20240309_110050 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by TigerLaw (10 years ago)

Post #2584 Fan Replacement details Posted by bhwolf (7 years ago)

Post #7017 How to tell if your WOZ has 2.0 boards Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #7022 Balls not making it to shooter lane from trough - Fix Posted by LTG (5 years ago)

Post #7126 Location of the latest software update/version Posted by mavantix (5 years ago)

Post #7128 Update 7.01 notes - released April 16, 2019 Posted by thewool (5 years ago)

Post #7752 Fan Replacement how to and links Posted by f3honda4me (4 years ago)

Post #11015 Adjustment advice for the monkey Posted by LTG (3 years ago)

Post #12537 7.03 Code Release Posted by bobukcat (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinkitten.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7341 4 years ago

So, my wife and I have a WOZ standard from 2016, our first ever pinball machine. We still have it after 3 years, and I doubt it's leaving anytime soon.

I'm considering powdercoating the stainless steel (current picture below) I've seen the job Robert Stone (I think his name is) does, and he's fantastic. He does an emerald green sparkle color on many of these. He can also do a ruby red sparkle color. (He can do literally any color you ask for). I'm considering doing something a little bold, like sparkle yellow with blue or red flake in it. But, with YBR out now, my yellow idea isn't as fresh.

Any suggestions? I think yellow with subtle sparkle or flake would look great. But almost any color would work on that game, so many colors are featured.

IMG_3461 (resized).jpgIMG_3461 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#7969 4 years ago
Quoted from sonambulo:

I'm thinking of buying an ECLE version of WOZ pinball, but the seller told me that the machine is running the 7,5V light boards. The seller said that he didn't had any issue with the lighting.
Should I be worried if I finally get it?

I bought my WOZ new in 2016, it was manufactured in 2015 and has version 1.1 light boards, which are the 7.5v. I still own it, and have put about 700 plays on it without incident. I have been fortunate, as I know this is a common problem. I’m just wondering how common. Does anyone know, perhaps from JJP discussions? Is it a 50/50 proposition? Or is it happening to most owners of pre-2.0 boards? I know the upgrade isn’t cheap. I assume it’s not free either from JJP, even though they replaced the 1.0 and 1.1 boards in manufacture?

I’m just grateful my game has worked perfectly so far, but I’m concerned that it could fail. I hope the 2.0 boards are avail for many years!

#8001 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

What are the "must-have" mods for WOZ?
I have a WOZ ecLE with the emerald city mod, witch smoke mod, back alley walls mod, decals, ramp mod, cliffys, leg protectors, and the lighted drop target mod. I definitely want to get the flying monkey too...but what else?
Lighted tree eyes?
WOZ figures?
Any great apron cards?
??

I really like the Haunted Forest LED strip that Mezel Mods offers. It adds considerable light to the very dark forest area, and turns it purple. I can see a lot more of the artwork there now, and the left orbit shot through the pops isn't quite so blind. Blades for the inner cab sides are awesome on this pin. I like Tilt Graphics. We added a little plastic bridge over the left sling, and some wooden-looking fence posts along the shooter lane. Looks nice!

1 week later
#8211 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Pics or it didn't happen!

Here’s the haunted forest with led mod. Much brighter!

4741F63D-F135-42C9-B0BB-888567F1B131 (resized).jpeg4741F63D-F135-42C9-B0BB-888567F1B131 (resized).jpeg
#8317 4 years ago

Just wanted to mention how impressed I am at the technical advice being given out above. I’m sure it must be maddening to pay $10k for a new pin and not receive a fully working model. I bought a NIB GB in 2017, my second pin after WOZ. I had no issues with WOZ, but GB didn’t work for weeks until a coil and entire node board were replaced, by me, at a time when I had zero experience with pinball repair/maintenance. I felt the same way, $7k+ and the game doesn’t work 100%? I am glad I stuck it out, I still own my GB and WOZ.

Bravo for all the incredibly detailed recent technical support in this thread. So much time devoted to helping other people is fantastic!

4 weeks later
#8597 4 years ago

I need to take a look at where my posts are in the outlanes, especially the left outlane. I checked my audits a few weeks ago and noticed how often TNPLH ball save is successful. I was stunned to see something like 3 successful saves out of maybe 200+ attempts. I have the settings on that ball save at easy, with a full minute to complete, with extra time awarded for shots made. I still drain 95% of the time before saving my ball. The only times I’ve saved it, it was by allowing progress to be saved and trying with a 2nd or 3rd ball. (I know, play better). I’m an ok player, especially on my own pins. Do others have this much trouble with the left ball save?

#8649 4 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Those on the fence don't want to miss out on that, should it happen.

I bought my NIB WOZ in 2016, it was born in late 2015. It has the 1.1 boards, after they went from 5.0 to 7.5 volts I believe. But I don’t think mine are 2.0. They say 1.1 on them. I have about 700 plays on it, without any issues thus far. I am concerned that the 2.0 kit might become limited or difficult to get. It’s not cheap to buy the entire set of boards I imagine. I wish I had more clarity on how reliable the version 1.1, 7.5v boards are. I hear people have had issues, and others have had none. Difficult to gauge.

#8652 4 years ago

Thanks, I appreciate the comments. I think the smart play is to buy the 2.0 kit and keep it until a problem arises. If I sell it someday, the 2.0 boards will help with the sale, even if the 1.1 version hasn’t failed yet.

#8653 4 years ago

Are these 2.0 light board kits available anywhere still? Jersey Jack is sold out.

#8656 4 years ago

Awesome, thanks!

#8660 4 years ago

Another good point, thanks! JJP responded this morning and said more 2.0 light boards will be avail in about a month. I will order a complete set and convert my WOZ when I have them.

#8671 4 years ago

It seems a bit puzzling to me that JJP acknowledged they built and shipped pins (mine was built Nov, 2015) with a faulty light system, corrected the problem with a new 2.0 system, but requires $800 from the buyers to fix it. Wouldn’t offering the fix kit to original buyers at JJP’s cost be fair? Especially since we still have to invest the labor? Just a thought.

#8687 4 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

They are selling it at cost and put a lot of time into developing the kit in the first place. If they gave everyone the kit for free, everyone would take one. Why not? Lets say there are 2,000 WOZs with the old system. That would be a $1.6 million cost for JJP. Let’s say there are 3,000. That would be $2.4 million. I’m not sure what the actual numbers are, but the out of pocket expense adds up quickly. JJP is not Apple. Smaller companies can’t always afford to do what larger companies can. I think it is amazing that JJP took the time in putting together the kit in the first place and offering support for those who need to do it. When you see the kit, you will realize it was no trivial task putting it all together.

I have no doubt it was no trivial task. I understand they developed that system to use in The Hobbit, Dialed In, POTC, etc. If that’s true, they didn’t simply produce a 2.0 system only for WOZ. But even if they had, what was their alternative? Leave hundreds or possibly thousands without functioning lights on their first ever pinball machine? That may not have been a realistic option. I’m certainly glad they offer kits at all, and leaving thousands of WOZ owners in the dark to find their own solution would not bode well for their success.

#8688 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You will never see it officially stated publicly. Liability.
But people involved have talked about the core design of the 1.x (all flavors, none of the band-aid 1.1, 1.2, etc fixes actually work long-term because the core DESIGN is bad) system being flawed and broken. Hence the reason JJP moved on with the 2.0 system from RR WoZ onward without lighting issues.

Only because some people continue to believe that it's an "IF" as to whether their currently rock-solid 1.x system will fail when there's no "IF" about it. It WILL fail prematurely, but people whose WoZ 1.x is currently fully working are just not believing that's possible, when in fact, it's inevitible based on the flawed design.

I personally didn’t believe my version 1.1 was “rock solid,” I simply wondered how common the failure rate was, because I’ve put 700 plays on mine without a problem. That doesn’t convince me that all is well, I just hadn’t read anything until now that helped me understand my pre-2.0 system is virtually certain to fail at some point. That’s all. I’m not speaking for anyone else, of course, I’m just explaining why I asked how likely I would need a 2.0 upgrade. Thanks for the discussion about why the design is faulty and can’t sustain normal function forever. Makes sense to me now. I’m going to get the new kit ASAP and not wait.

#8701 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Is it still under warranty?
Do you get free repair on cars etc when not under warranty?

Free repairs? Auto manufactures issue recalls when they realize a defective design. Those are usually free. This is a defective light board. Even if the labor is on us owners, the correct light boards should be free to anyone who bought a NIB WOZ. Just my opinion.

#8705 4 years ago

Just my personal opinion, I feel the light boards are an integral part of the game. Passing on the cost of the corrected parts as well as labor to the buyer seems unfair to the buyer, especially NIB buyers who paid full retail. I may be wrong!

#8711 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Look, I'm not happy about the situation at JJP or Stern, but people that are pulling examples out of their butts for OTHER INDUSTRIES that just completely FALL APART on closer examination should not be allowed to let that pass (i.e. the WoZ light comparison. That level of premature failure outside of warranty happens ALL THE TIME in the Auto industry. They only own up when they are forced to by the government). If people make fair comparisons? I'm there. Pulling irrelevant, false examples out of their butts? Nope.

I was merely pointing to the fact that it's not unheard of for some companies to stand by their products in times where there are admitted defects. Not all companies, not all industries. It was just an example. You seem passionate about the auto industry, something I don't know much about. It wasn't a testament about the auto industry, which I know nothing about. I wasn't suggesting the two industries were remotely the same. I was simply responding to the comment someone made about free auto repairs. But thank you for not letting my comment pass. It was an irrelevant, false example that I found in my butt.

2 weeks later
#8801 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I noticed something strange last night and cant really figure it out yet.
Once in a while I hear a "clicking" noise that does it about 4 times then stops. I cant figure where its coming from and I dont see any game play being affected. Its not a coil firing as its not that loud but certainly loud enough to be heard clearly. I noticed that it happened when going into the trough and also once after going into the throne room.
Any ideas?

I’ve noticed that too, but during multiball I believe. I can hear a repetitive sound like a clicking, or something firing that I can’t identify. It stops after a few seconds. I’ve never figured it out.

1 week later
#8875 4 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

The insert lenses are fine. The general illumination, not so much. The following photos were taken in a very dimly lit room (so that they would show the playfield illumination from the game itself without much help from the room lights). This took some adjusting with my camera settings because modern cameras are really good at compensating for different light situations and making things look better than they really do. I feel that these are VERY close to what my game looks like in a dim room to the naked eye.
Here is a photo of the game in test mode with all of the leds (inserts and gi) set to white:
[quoted image]
See how all of the inserts are nice and bright? Good, right? But look at the slingshots and the other plastics that have the gi lights under them. They are barely lit. Barely any light transmits through the plastics (I had to look under the brown one at the lower left of the playfield to see if the light was actually working). Almost no light makes it onto the playfield from the gi.
For the next photo, I toggled the test mode into gi only, again set to white.
[quoted image]
Comparing the two, you can see that under the 2.0 system the game is really only lit by the ambient room lights and the inserts. Had I turned off the lights in my game room, you would not have been able to see the playfield art in the second photo at all.
I reached out to JJP about this. Butch looked into it and concluded that this is standard 2.0 light operation. He said that since the light tubes for the gi are not as efficient as the insert lenses at transmitting light, the gi lighting is always going to be dimmer than the inserts unless something can be done in code to allow the gi to be turned up. He said he would send a note to the code team about it.
Aside from the propensity to occasionally fail, I miss my original lighting.

This is crazy! It's SO much darker with version 2.0 than the doomed (at some point) v1.1 that I have. Check out my pics I just took. It looks like I have pinstadium lights or something. It's stock, except for added leds around the pops. It really looks brighter in the older, flawed version. Am I wrong? (I do have the room lights on.)
IMG_0948 (resized).PNGIMG_0948 (resized).PNGIMG_0949 (resized).PNGIMG_0949 (resized).PNG

#8885 4 years ago

My monkey still works...after all these years.

#8890 4 years ago

The JJP owners manual for WOZ clearly states, "if your monkey stops functioning properly, or is misbehaving, do NOT spank it." Pg. 81.

1 week later
#8963 4 years ago

If you had a standard WOZ with stainless rails/bar/legs, what color would you choose to powder coat it? (If you did). It seems the obvious choices are ruby red sparkle, emerald green sparkle or yellow-gold. It’s probably just a matter of personal choice, but I’m just wondering what you guys think. I have a new powder coat company I’m going to try. They can do any color.

4 weeks later
#9235 4 years ago

I added these little plastic split rail fence pieces along the shooter lane with the corn field art behind them. The corn would look good too on either side of the lane, I think!

3D66C7DB-2A2D-4091-8BA9-823F8AED1230 (resized).jpeg3D66C7DB-2A2D-4091-8BA9-823F8AED1230 (resized).jpeg7FE7806A-098A-4AD0-9E19-74241F9C91A4 (resized).jpeg7FE7806A-098A-4AD0-9E19-74241F9C91A4 (resized).jpeg
2 years later
#13501 1 year ago

My very first pin was a WOZ in 2016. I sold mine in 2020, and have missed it since. It’s such an achievement in pinball engineering. After two years away, I’m happy to be rejoining the club tomorrow! What did I miss while I was away?

#13503 1 year ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

JJP created a version without the monkey and charged way more for it!! That's what happened while you were away! lol

As long as it’s yellow! Actually, the ybr edition is beautiful. I wish it included the helper monkey.

#13520 1 year ago

Back in the club with this beauty after being 2 years away. Our very first pin back in 2016.

E08647AF-9335-400E-9EAE-07CA8F404951 (resized).jpegE08647AF-9335-400E-9EAE-07CA8F404951 (resized).jpeg6C0F4B8A-522E-44D9-B8D9-1DE2170D3079 (resized).jpeg6C0F4B8A-522E-44D9-B8D9-1DE2170D3079 (resized).jpeg
#13529 1 year ago
Quoted from adol75:

That seems to be the Green edition that was made for Automated services, a half way between the SE and ECLE. I like it a lot, I can't stand the apron with 30 signatures on the ECLE, although I wish I had a wood apron on my 75th

Yep, this. . It has the emerald powder coated rails and legs, shaker and Invisiglass.

#13551 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I’m trying to make my left Outlane not such a total drain. I can’t move the post in due to where the rail is. [quoted image][quoted image]Any ideas?

I just did this to mine. Super easy fix. Take the screw out that is holding the rail in place nearest the post. Now you can easily move the post over one spot and make that huge left drain much more reasonable. The rail will remain firmly in place against the post rubber. The rail is held by several other screws. You don’t need that one, imho. This was the simplest solution for me.

AA8927EB-B0B1-4B73-8577-D27661C4F331 (resized).jpegAA8927EB-B0B1-4B73-8577-D27661C4F331 (resized).jpeg

#13553 1 year ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

He’s a friend of mine. I let him know.

It also appears he has version 1.1 light boards not 1.0. There is a big difference. Per Eric M at JJP, who did the light boards and engineering on WOZ, version 1.0 was 5v and very prone to failure. Version 1.1 is 7.5v and not likely to fail, but they can (and sometimes do), and version 2.0 is the latest JJP standard. I asked Eric about the boards at Expo. I sent seller a PM. His game sure looks like a standard too?

#13561 1 year ago
Quoted from galore2112:

I’ve got one like that. Stainless armor, LE number, shaker, invisiglass, the same topper, 1.1 7.5V boards (that still work).
I don’t recall buying an LE (I selected the cheapest back when I ordered it, I think) but it seems to have some LE features (unless SE also came with shaker, invisiglass and that topper).

Standard came with that topper, but not shaker or Invisiglass. My first pin in 2016 was WOZ standard nib. I had to pay to add the shaker and Invisiglass. If his example came with those, he might have an early, very base-level LE. Other than the apron and powdercoat, not much difference above the playfield on WOZ (except for the light boards). Until you get to YBR model, which is beautiful but they abandoned the monkey.

#13570 1 year ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

Does anyone have an example they can check and post a picture of the markings

This?

01AA6CE1-5206-4927-92C6-9EE86644CAE4 (resized).jpeg01AA6CE1-5206-4927-92C6-9EE86644CAE4 (resized).jpeg
#13572 1 year ago
Quoted from SlapDrain:

I just picked up a Woz ECLE built in June of 2014 with 145 plays. It has the jjp invisiglass etching like pictured above. I have no reason to believe it isn't the original glass from 2014.

Same here. That pic from mine is a March, 2014 manufacture date.

1 week later
#13596 1 year ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Alright. I’ve addressed all my issues. The lights were a connection issue. Monkey getting stuck was on account of the back board pulling away from the rest of the playfield. But I’m still having issues getting the damn playfield back in the game. I’ve never had this type of struggle before. I’ve got a large collection and I’ve never run into anything like this. Do I need to adjust my slide rails? I feel like I’m taking crazy pills.
[quoted image]

Did you make sure the shipping foam is removed from the back of the cab? I know that’s a silly question, but I left mine in for like 2 years after buying my first WOZ nib. I couldn’t figure out why it was near impossible to re-seat the playfield. If that’s not the issue, it could simply be the tight fit I also experience with my current WOZ and Wonka. Both are quite tight. I put my thumbs on the front of the apron and push the pf back until the hangers drop down into place. Both my JJPs are extremely tight. My DILE was too.

#13602 1 year ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Anybody know what the side to side playfield angle should be for the mini-playfield? I used to get this multiball all the time on a friends YBR, but it's quite challenging on my RR, seems to drain (from the upper playfield) really easily. I believe it's flat (side to side), should it lean to the right a little bit to feed that flipper better? And if so, is there an adjustment on it (like TZ)?
Thanks!

There is a simple trick to getting loops around the spinning house, if you’d like to know!

#13605 1 year ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Of course! I usually hold the left flipper when it’s going fast and it will either go around or bounce back to the flipper where I can send it around again.

You got it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

14,356 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Roswell, GA
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.50

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinkitten.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-fan-club-members-only?tu=Pinkitten and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.