20240314_221748 (resized).jpg
20240314_215727 (resized).jpg
841FD4A1-7C8E-4E32-973D-DD8D05C4902E (resized).png
3D72BC84-0D17-44A1-B683-A17D4B722FF3 (resized).jpeg
WOZ lightboard 2 (resized).jpg
WOZ lightboard 1 (resized).jpg
20240309_110050 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by TigerLaw (10 years ago)

Post #2584 Fan Replacement details Posted by bhwolf (7 years ago)

Post #7017 How to tell if your WOZ has 2.0 boards Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #7022 Balls not making it to shooter lane from trough - Fix Posted by LTG (5 years ago)

Post #7126 Location of the latest software update/version Posted by mavantix (5 years ago)

Post #7128 Update 7.01 notes - released April 16, 2019 Posted by thewool (5 years ago)

Post #7752 Fan Replacement how to and links Posted by f3honda4me (4 years ago)

Post #11015 Adjustment advice for the monkey Posted by LTG (3 years ago)

Post #12537 7.03 Code Release Posted by bobukcat (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jvspin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 10 years ago

Yes, WOZ is really something special. It has always looked great and had tons of stuff packed into it but I think 3.0 has really tied everything together. Just finished playing for about an hour. Really get's the adrenalin going!

That rescue multiball is such a tease. I keep trying to get it started before hitting the Emerald City multiball and so often fail. Ahhh...risk versus reward, love it! The challenge of trying to get balls going on all three playfields simultaneously along with a crystal ball mode to increase the "super x" playfield multiplier is fantastic.

I find the main shots very satisfying to hit and am starting to use the middle right flipper a lot more. I originally thought it would be a blind shot, but I was surprised to find that I can see the ball approaching through the hole in the Munchkin land playfield just enough to hit the witch or get the ball into the pop bumpers fairly consistently.

#75 10 years ago

My opinion would be to wait for an HUO LE if you can get one for the same price as the standard (or less). If you put out a WTB post one might free up. If it's local you save on shipping too. All around a much better value.

The emerald green armor, habit trails, etc.. and cleared cabinet really are things of beauty and set the LE apart. I wouldn't be too concerned with LED problems. Though annoying, support at JJP will help you get the game stable.

1 week later
#155 9 years ago

My game is tough! The incline is pretty steep and I have it set on 3 balls with whatever the defaults were for 3.0.

Great fun though and it keeps me hitting the Start button.

Maybe if I nudge a little better this game.

Maybe if I avoid starting weak flippers during rescue multiball when I only need one more ramp shot to stack ECMB.

Maybe if I .....

#160 9 years ago
Quoted from juanton:

How does WOZ stack up in your collection Jvspin? It looks like you have most of the top ten. How does WOZ compare in your opinion? I'm just curious.

I think it's a little early to say as I'm still in the honeymoon phase. At the moment it is tied with my all time favorite TZ.

It has satisfying shots, a layered rule set, the LCD and its content are well done, it has humor, great sound, is well made and beautiful. To me, it's a masterpiece. It remains to be seen if the sound and/or gameplay become tiresome down the line.

Keep in mind though that I've always liked the Wizard of Oz and its music. I also like a shooters game where you need to get control of the ball, decide which shot to go for, then hit the shot.

WOZ reminds me a little bit of juggling, if you get one ball out of line, you quickly find yourself chasing the rest until they're all on the ground.

Of course, it needs to be working to enjoy, so hopefully the LED issues are put to rest. My machine hasn't been down due to the ability to bypass a broken board but it seems like many people don't use this feature.

#166 9 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

I did not know that. i will have to give that a try, thnx!

I've been finding some success by trapping the ball, then banking off the RES targets to the CUE targets and retrapping. Sometimes it hits the doors enough times that the doors open. Putting the ball in the saucer behind the door also awards a letter.

1 week later
#231 9 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

I’m enjoying my woz, but the wife has a few questions and I don’t know the answer, so maybe I can get some help here, (see how I blamed her. )
1) The good witch’s magic wand (the center target between the ramps) how do you relight it?
2) When plunging the ball hard trying to go to the haunted forest. The ball seems to hang up on something. Near top dead center unless it’s hit just right is this the intended action? Or do I need to figure out what it’s hitting and make an adjustment?
3) When trying to rescue Dorothy you hit a loop shot instead it locks a ball and you have to relight rescue again, what is the purpose and how do you unlock that ball? Dose it turn rescue dorath into a 3 ball multiball?
4) I get a lot of kickbacks from the crystal ball is that common? Or does it need attention? Or do I just need to not suck so much at it? : )
5)

1) I remember reading how to do it somewhere, but no longer remember.

2) Part of the design. There is a slight bend in the right hand metal guide under the munchkin playfield that causes this. Some people have tried to straighten the guide but it is like this on all the machines.

3)Normally the loop awards a letter, but if you have all the rescue letters lit, the "search" insert in the loop turns green and the big insert in front of the door turns yellow. To rescue Dorothy and start Rescue multiball you have to hit the doors a few times causing them to open then put the ball into the saucer behind the doors. If you hit the loop when the insert is green you will get a virtual ball lock, and the rescue letters must be collected again before you can rescue Dorothy, but when you do it will be a three ball multiball. Rinse and repeat for up to a five ball Rescue multiball.

4) The Crystal ball shot can be tough, but I don't notice an unusual amount of rejections (unlike the search loop on the castle playfield before I adjusted the metal guide wire).

#233 9 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I think the insert in the Haunted Forest relights Glinda. The same one that lights for the skill shot. Don't quote me on that one though.

I was thinking the same thing but did not want to say it, since as I said, my memory is sketchy. But, if we both think it, it's probably correct.

#239 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

The switch behind the rubber in front of the haunted forest relights glinda. The one next to the crystal ball mount.

Quoted from Pinchroma:

Roll the ball manually around the loop.. see if it gets around (it should as you are making the right orbit many times during a game) it may just be that the entry ball rail at the end of the shooter lane is slightly misaligned and the ball sometimes hits it leaving the shooter causing it to bounce around and not go around cleanly.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the answers Alex.

I'll have to take a look at the exit to my shooter lane now.

Orbits are smooth and never hang up.
Auto-plunge often makes it around without hanging up.
A hard normal plunge hangs up.

I thought this was normal operation.

#245 9 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

Ok, I think I'm onto something I just played a few games and noticed that when you pull the plunger back and hold it you can feel a small amount of play in it, (normal). so if you pull down towards the floor a little as you let the plunger go it strikes the pinball maybe just a little above center which maybe puts a little spin on it like a cue ball in poll,and it comes out of the shooter lane cleanly, and it goes around 90% of the time. does that make sense? If not disregard I'm just rambling.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to give it a try.

1 year later
#937 8 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Well today I bought a WOZ Emerald City from a friend. So far I LOVE it, but have a few questions.

Congratulations! It's a great game.

Quoted from cscmtp:

I am noticing that the ball is pretty frequently falling off the metal ramps as its supposed to come down and feed the lane by the right flipper.

Do you mean the left flipper? If so, are you talking about the feed when the ball gets kicked out of the Crystal ball VUK (vertical up-kicker)?

Quoted from cscmtp:

I've never downloaded from JJP and was wondering if someone might be able to talk me through it over the phone if I call them?

First, download the software by going to the link below

http://support.jerseyjackpinball.com/downloads/woz/

Under the Full Game Install heading, Click on [Wizard Of Oz - Full Install ISO - 5.05]

The file is very large (about 4gB) and should take about 20min to download.

I recommend using IE (Internet Explorer) browser as I've had problems with Google Chrome not doing a complete down load.

When the download is complete you should make sure it downloaded okay by verifying the checksum.

To do this, you can run the utility listed below:

http://www.winmd5.com/

The output from the utility should match the following:

8a4a45aa5e73bc6b6c0060228f88b41c

(this is the code you get when you click on [MD5 CHECKSUM] on the JJP download site)

This is the most time consuming part of the process and will get you half way there. I haven't installed the new version on my game yet, so perhaps someone else can take over from here.

Also note that updating the software usually isn't this complicated. Normally the updates are small (delta), require very little time to download and only have a couple of steps after. However, since this is a major update, a full install is required.

4 months later
#1119 8 years ago
Quoted from clg:

I put the cliffy on and I don't think I have ever had a ball hit on it.

The Cliffy protector looks great but for cheapskates like me, a 3" x 1" piece of foam rubber weather stripping along that edge also works and can't be seen from the players perspective.

#1131 8 years ago

#1) You should be able to loosen the two screws holding the monkey plastic and slide it back a bit so it doesn't hit the door. (There is no adjustment to the door)

#2) Upgrade to 6.06. It isn't too difficult and makes a significant difference.

#3) Not sure. I don't notice the plunger to be unusually stiff but it's so subjective. Check to make sure it's not binding.

#4) Yes, probably gap.

#5) Yes, that is wrong. Go into switch test mode and thump the playfield in front of the witch to see if the witch switches are tripping. Updating the software may help with this. And/or they may need to be adjusted.

1 week later
#1204 8 years ago

2)When all the LEDs are white, it can cause a hum in the speakers. Mine does the same thing.
3)There is a leaf switch that gets tripped when the bumper skirt is touched by the ball. The blade of the leaf switch can be adjusted to make the bumper more active.
4)You shouldn't rest the playfield on the state fair balloon. Put a pillow or use one of the foam pads that shipped with the game to keep the balloon from hitting.
5)The apron slides onto that metal plate to keep it locked down when lifting. It shouldn't stop the ball.
6)Mine did this too. Applying a little downward pressure on the top of the glass as it approaches helps. It did get smoother over time.

#1247 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Thanks, Chosen_S about the advice on super bands.
Can I bump up this question:

I'm really curious as to others experiences with this shot. Thanks!

Very difficult shot. I have more luck backhanding it from the right flipper.

#1250 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Well, I'm glad its not just me. I've backhanded it with two balls on the right flipper, never with just one. Is that what you mean? During multiball?

It is much easier with two balls on the right flipper, but you can do it with just one. If you attempt a post pass the ball usually stays on the flipper and you can back hand it as it rattles around. Still a low percentage and dangerous shot but satisfying to hit.

#1252 8 years ago

I really dislike the way the ball bounces with Superbands and the way they grip the ball as it transitions from the in lane. I like the Titan silicone bands better. They are easier to put on, can also be cleaned and have a truer bounce.

#1254 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I have all 4 types on various games, some games have a mix of different bands. I think it's mostly preference.
But... I'm leaning toward pinball life's bands more now, they feel so much better than Titans, and not so rock hard as super bands, easy to clean, easy to install

Good to know. Haven't tried Pinball Life's flipper bands yet, I'll have to give them a shot.

#1258 8 years ago

The pinballs that ship with WOZ are fine. I've heard of others having this problem but don't remember the solution. I suggest asking Lloyd (click on the DEAR LLOYD section on the main forum page, upper right). He is the JJP service guy and can help with all your issues.

#1260 8 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

I'm not sure it this is what is being talked about but the balls can become magnetized and won't drop from the monkey. A piece on electrical tape on the monkey magnet will fix this.

I think he is talking about the ball rolling off the upper playfield and onto the lower playfield after the monkey drops it.

Good suggestion about the electrical tape. I just hit the flipper button to make the ball drop on the rare occasion the magnet doesn't release it.

#1262 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Yeah - the monkey drops the ball fine, but it almost always drops into that little cove and bounces right back onto the playfield.
The magnetizing was speculation as to why the ball is getting caught in the image shown. It doesn't really make sense, but I guess the balls could become magnetized after less than 50 plays?

I think there is a mylar protector in that area that a slow moving ball can get hung up on. I haven't had an issue with my machine but I have it set up pretty steep. I've heard of the issue before and I'm sure Lloyd knows the cause and solution.

#1279 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I believe you have to shoot for the blue shot which moves around. Hitting the flashing red shots causes the witch to shoot a fireball at you. Three fireballs and you are out. So you want to avoid those shots. At least, I believe that is right. . . .

Also, if you don't like where the blue shot is, hit the witch to move it to an easier shot.

#1282 8 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Each time you hit it gives you a letter of "rescue". For me this is easier.

Actually, it gives you two letters, though this may be a setting. Hitting the "search" loop also gives you a letter until they are all collected, then it gives you a virtual locked ball and resets the letters.

#1295 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

What power should that flipper be at? Less than default?

Default should be fine and I've never seen that happen either. Pimp77 may have the answer. You needed to bend the outer wire up on early WOZ's to keep the ball from bouncing around and getting rejected in the search loop.

2 years later
#5543 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

90% of my lights are out. I just ordered 13 light cables. Replacing 1-13 to start. This sucks.

Quoted from LTG:

He's pretty well versed at figuring this out. His game has a few things going on. Both LED board and connector type stuff. We've talked in the past.
LTG : )

Edit: Never mind, posted before seeing Lloyds post. I'll leave it here in case it helps someone else.

I never had a cable fail, it was always a light board, usually a small GI board. I think the troubleshooting technique is to find the first board that is not working correctly (they're numbered and the manual shows how they're daisy chained) then bypass the board before it.

Reasoning is that the board that is bad is not passing the data on to the next board. If this doesn't work, then try bypassing the board that appears to not be working.

Once you bypass the problem board the lights should start doing something. To get them working correctly you have to go into the settings menu and let the system know which board(s) was bypassed.

#5545 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Skyemont has some issues you haven't run into.
LTG : )

Thanks Lloyd, edited my post.

3 years later
#13246 2 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

I chose this option when protecting the mini playfield edge. Frost king at about 3 dollars from home depot. Color matched ok for me and was simple to install. I have a piece on the other playfield as well.
It won't be everyone's favorite but those on a budget or not comfortable removing parts and want a solution until you want to upgrade (or not in my case) this is 100% protection.
r/
Mike
[quoted image][quoted image]

I used similar weather stripping but only put it on the first couple of inches to protect the edge that gets hit. Can barely see it from the players perspective. I like the look of the natural wood edge.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 91.00
14,356 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Roswell, GA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 5.00
$ 16.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

13,000 (OBO)
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jvspin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-fan-club-members-only?tu=Jvspin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.