767a905f-f768-44f4-b3e3-b2998967ff3c_text.gif
Photo Mar 30 2024, 5 42 30 PM (resized).jpg
20240316_125739 (resized).jpg
20240314_221748 (resized).jpg
20240314_215727 (resized).jpg
841FD4A1-7C8E-4E32-973D-DD8D05C4902E (resized).png
3D72BC84-0D17-44A1-B683-A17D4B722FF3 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by TigerLaw (10 years ago)

Post #2584 Fan Replacement details Posted by bhwolf (7 years ago)

Post #7017 How to tell if your WOZ has 2.0 boards Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #7022 Balls not making it to shooter lane from trough - Fix Posted by LTG (5 years ago)

Post #7126 Location of the latest software update/version Posted by mavantix (5 years ago)

Post #7128 Update 7.01 notes - released April 16, 2019 Posted by thewool (5 years ago)

Post #7752 Fan Replacement how to and links Posted by f3honda4me (4 years ago)

Post #11015 Adjustment advice for the monkey Posted by LTG (3 years ago)

Post #12537 7.03 Code Release Posted by bobukcat (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DiabloRush.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14276 1 year ago

Joined the club this week. Arranged a trade for a basically NIB ECLE WOZ. ~20 plays on the machine, indistinguishable from new. Absolutely pristine.

This is a lovely game, I’m very impressed. Only issue is - like other early/mid ECLE (mine is number 550 or so), it has unbuffered 7.5 light boards. Sure enough, the lights are freezing up on play. I can get maybe 5-10 minutes before most of the lights freeze. A reboot restores things, and they work fine in attract mode. Once I start play, they pretty consistently freeze up.

I opened a ticket with JJP. Short of installing 2.0 boards (which JJP says will be available 1Q 2023), is there anything else that can be done to limp along? Lower LED brightness? Disable shaker? Reflow solder on any of the boards? I’m open to suggestions.

Given this game was just unboxed and never registered prior to my purchase, I did register the game with JJP. I have no idea if the warranty is active.

Thanks, and please excuse all the questions from a new owner.

#14279 1 year ago

Thanks LTG (JJP should hire you back...) and konghusker. Will do. I just swapped out the cooling fan for something not made by Pratt and Witney.

#14280 1 year ago

Thanks for the suggestions. Did a thorough unplug/replug of all the cabinet connections, firmly squeezed each from both sides, then went through the entire lighting chain and pressed each connector firmly. I also disabled the shaker.

So far, no issues. Was able to get through a couple of games without any lights freezing. Fingers crossed. Ultimately, installation of 2.0 lighting is probably the long-term solution, but for now, I can enjoy this excellent title. Really is a knock-out. My third JJP, as well. Looks great next to Hobbit. Love those widebodies.

#14282 1 year ago

Spoke a bit too soon. Had a longer game, 25 min. Same lights froze up. I took a picture so I can ID the board that seems to be the problem. I'll go do a bit of troubleshooting and see if I can find a workaround.

edit: traced the lighting daisy-chain to the suspect bad board. Was one of the small boards at the front of the chain (#29) Swapped it for a board at the end of the chain, and all has been trouble-free over a couple of hours of play.

#14290 1 year ago
Quoted from julien_06480:

Only 20 plays and already has a dead GI board...
Are you really sure this pin has only 20 plays? Keep in mind that when doing a software upgrade, it will reset the count.

Condition was consistent with NIB. Absolutely no wear, no dust, and no small ball dents on the PF. Indistinguishable from a new pin from the crate. I’ve owned/restored about 70 games. This one was new.

Just me playing about a dozen games the last few days has nearly doubled the amount of visible, small, ball dents in the PF. Only the single board was bad. As soon as I moved it to the end of the lighting chain, the game has been stable and no lighting issues in about 3 hours of play.

#14291 1 year ago

Installed the Precision Flip system in green w/green Titan rubber. Shoots great! Quite a noticeable difference.

IMG_0061 (resized).JPGIMG_0061 (resized).JPGIMG_0063 (resized).JPGIMG_0063 (resized).JPGIMG_0065 (resized).JPGIMG_0065 (resized).JPG
#14297 1 year ago
Quoted from TheShadowsNose:

Can you talk a little more about the differences. Flipper feel is really my only legit complaint on this pin.

Probably easiest to see the thread dedicated to these flippers. A significant change in flipper feel, for sure. Much more powerful and snappy. Most folks (myself included) turn down the flipper power when installing these. Also, amazingly more precise. Very, very repeatable shots. You have to try these to see what we’re talking about.

Thread here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/review-precision-pinball-products-cnc-flipper-system/page/24#post-7220728

#14319 1 year ago

The Smaug Kill shot is my vote for coolest moment in Pinball.

2 weeks later
#14338 1 year ago

Question for those that have upgraded to 2.0 lighting: how much dimmer is the whole package? I've got the 7.5V buffered boards in my game (and a backup set of boards purchased as spares). An opportunity arose to pickup a 2.0 lighting kit, and I jumped on it. I can't decide if I should upgrade or keep the 2.0 kit as ultimate insurance, and continue with the 7.5 boards until they were no longer viable. One of the nicest features of my WOZ is the fantastic and bright light shows (such as the all-green Forest mode with red-light shots).

My understanding is the 7.5V kits are brighter overall, and you take a bit of an light intensity hit with the 2.0 system. Is this noticeable? I actually love working on my pins, so upgrading to 2.0 would be a fun project. My 7.5V system has been mainly reliable, but it does freeze up ocassionaly in longer games. Not having that happen would be nice, too. I'm truly undecided on which way to go with my absolutely pristine ECLE WOZ. (BTW, *LOVE* this game) Thanks.

#14348 1 year ago

Just installed a 2.0 lighting kit into my basically-new ECLE WOZ. Prior to finding the 2.0 kit, I had purchased a complete backup set of 7.5 (mostly buffered) boards as spares. 2.0 Kit is great. Not at all dim to my eye. Works great. Happy with this upgrade.

(note: old boards sold)

IMG_0270 (resized).JPGIMG_0270 (resized).JPG

#14350 1 year ago
Quoted from mdelorenzo:

Anyone have a short spare of these I can buy? In my pic the green circled one is bad. I had swapped green and red circled to test.
[quoted image]

Shoot me a PM. LMK the length. I have tons of these cables (2 complete sets). I'll mail you one for free.

#14360 1 year ago

Finally getting some quality playing time with my (relatively) new WOZ. I read the rule sheet, and the final wizard mode (Somewhere Over the Rainbow) looks brutally, brutally hard to reach. You need all 8 gems, and some of those require lots and lots of sequential accomplishments, all without losing a ball. Is it just me? Do others routinely reach this? I’ve played quite a few tables over the decades, this honestly may be the hardest to reach Wizard mode I know (at least, reading how to do it in the rulesheet).

#14363 1 year ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

You can lose a ball. You don’t have to get all eight gems on the same ball.

Of course. I was referring to individual gem modes where you can't lose a ball. A great example is the gem from Rescue Multiball. The rulesheet is below. This seems nearly impossible to me to complete during the multiball (where you have to actually keep at least 2 balls in play). You have to cycle through every shot a minimum of three times and then bash the castle and enter the saucer at least 6 times before you can even light a mega-jackpot. Brutal.

----
Rescue Multiball

During this multiball the following jackpot shots are lit: Spinner, Left Orbit, Winkie Drop Target, Ramp, Right Orbit, and Throne Room. For each of those shots, the first time you hit it will award a 1x jackpot. The second time will award a 2x jackpot. The third time will award and 3x jackpot. And hitting it after that will award 0.5x jackpot values until the end of the multiball or a super or mega jackpot is scored.

Once a 3x jackpot has been achieved for a shot it will light a corresponding R-E-S-C-U-E target letter on the castle mini-playfield (R – Spinner, E – Left Orbit, S – Winkie Drop Target, C – Ramp, U – Right Orbit, E – Throne Room) and enable Super Jackpot. To collect a super jackpot you need to hit at least one blinking RESCUE target and then get the castle doors to open and finally get the ball into the rescue saucer. You can stack the super jackpots by collecting multiple blinking rescue letters to get even more points (e.g. collect 3x jackpots at multiple locations and then get the super).

Note that once a super jackpot is collected all shots revert back to 1x so keep that in mind if you have good progress towards lighting the Rescue letters (e.g. 2x on the other jackpot shots). Fortunately a super jackpot does not unlight the rescue letters that have been collected.

Once all R-E-S-C-U-E letters have been lit (by collecting 3x jackpots from all jackpot shots and then hitting the R-E-S-C-U-E letter) a Mega Jackpot can be collected by getting a search orbit to castle door combo (i.e. hitting the search orbit and then immediately hitting the castle doors breaking through them and getting into the saucer behind).

Scoring a Mega Jackpot also immediately awards a Jewel towards SOTR.

#14369 1 year ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

There are 2 red smoke witch mods listed for sale on Splash. Outstanding mod, hard to find.

What’s “Splash”? Google came up with nothing.

#14372 1 year ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

Pinside market. Opening page before classified is Splash. There are mainly mods there.

Oh, got it. Thanks. For $600, I'll pass....

2 weeks later
#14434 1 year ago

There's new Beta software available for WOZ. This update comes in 2 parts, both dated Dec. 15, 2022. The first is beta 6, which "updates the updater" and the second is beta 7, which installs a new operating system. You'll only see beta 6 until its installed, then check for updates again and beta 7 will be available. FYI.

#14436 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

what does it bring to the table gameplay/experience wise?

It adds an audio graphic equalizer (same one that's on GnR) and updates the operating system. As near as I can tell based on the update notes, that's it.

1 week later
#14470 1 year ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I added the flame pots around wizard today, and afterwards the wizard doesn’t seem lit as green as before. I checked light strip is under acrylic as much as possible, but still not lit as bright. Can someone confirm that the etched face should be on backside of acrylic or is it towards the front? Also, are green lights supposed to be completely under acrylic or slightly behind it?

The original OEM strips are pretty fragile. Mine also went dim like this after I removed it. I could wiggle it and it would occasionally brighten, but I couldn't get it to stay that way. I ended up ordering a new one from JJP. Just FYI.

2 weeks later
#14513 1 year ago
Quoted from CTHOMAS1998:

Does anyone know if there is a changelog or notes on the Beta releases? Just curious what all the Beta changes are.

There is a change log that comes when you perform the upgrade, which you can read during the update. For the latest Beta, it listed two changes: installation of a new OS, and addition of an audio graphic equalizer.

2 months later
#14660 1 year ago

Save the wires. It's not that hard at all to remove all the prior wiring; there is a market for these cables as they occassionaly go bad. I've sent out several to other owners.

#14665 1 year ago

Can you switch the power connector with another board? That will help diagnose the issue. Often, when problems like this arise after a period of time, it's cracked solder joints. (That board is close to the pop bumpers, among the most active of the coils, which can over-time fatique these joints). Your symptoms are consistent with this (when starting a game, it goes bad; this indicates to me that when coils fire, etc., its interupting something on the board).

I'd look very carefully at the power board connector solder joints on the board. Reflow these with a soldering iron if you can (or hot-air workstation). More than once, this has solved intermittant problems on pins for me.

1 month later
#14730 11 months ago

I purchased a Woz with the 7.5 buffered boards and was repeatedly told there were no issues, they were solid, I shouldn't worry, he didn't have any issues, ever. Within the first 2 hours of play, whole segments of the lighting failed. I bought a set of used 7.5 boards (they're easy to find when people do the 2.0 upgrade), and I replaced the bad boards. I continued to get failures and continued to replace boards on a regular basis.

I finally had enough. I found a set of 2.0 boards and installed them. Zero issues since. Good luck, YMMV.

4 months later
#14939 6 months ago
Quoted from meSz:

I actually have the 2.0 boards, just never converted as there was no reason too. Might be time to just do it and be done with it.

The 2.0 boards are 90% awesome. I did the conversion last year. As far as reliability, they're a major improvement and will also help with value/resale.

There is a downside, however. They GI lighting in the 2.0 system is dim. Very dim. JJP fixed these issues with Hobbit and subsequent games, but for whatever reason, the 2.0 WOZ system has very weak GI drivers. Some folks have tried to rectify this with limited success. These efforts still aren't as bright as the prior (5 and 7.5) versions. FYI.

3 months later
#15103 3 months ago

Do a clean installl of the full software from a USB. Instructions on the JJP website.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
14,356 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Roswell, GA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 16.95
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 5.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
$ 24.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DiabloRush.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-fan-club-members-only?tu=DiabloRush and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.