Topic Stats

• 9,395 posts
  • 517 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by pinheadpierre
  • Topic is favorited by 236 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,253 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

00000IMG_00000_BURST20191117150926254_COVER (resized).jpg
email1574021565933 (resized).jpg
DSC00136 (resized).JPG
DSC00135 (resized).JPG
Capture1 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 12.47.55 PM (resized).png
DSC_2053 (resized).JPG
DSC_2052 (resized).JPG
DSC_1951 (resized).JPG
DSC_1949 (resized).JPG
55F89334-66EE-490D-BB56-E5C90A33CFF3 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
DDA8A1AF-F3F5-4302-995E-9B15024E3BE5 (resized).jpeg
D7365133-5712-4E63-AFAB-FFD2DB352547 (resized).jpeg
8D754EBC-78C1-4EB1-91E1-EB9E4A4E5360 (resized).jpeg
E1072C23-E140-4A5D-91E6-38D9623BFA65 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #1 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by TigerLaw (5 years ago)

Post #2584 Fan Replacement details Posted by bhwolf (3 years ago)

Post #7017 How to tell if your WOZ has 2.0 boards Posted by f3honda4me (7 months ago)

Post #7022 Balls not making it to shooter lane from trough - Fix Posted by LTG (7 months ago)

Post #7126 Location of the latest software update/version Posted by mavantix (7 months ago)

Post #7128 Update 7.01 notes - released April 16, 2019 Posted by thewool (7 months ago)

Post #7752 Fan Replacement how to and links Posted by f3honda4me (5 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1068 3 years ago

Has anyone attempted to buy head decals from JJP?

I nicked my today by accident.... For me, don't care, but wondering if it will matter to someone if I ever decide to sell

2 months later
#1428 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I installed the Titan silicon rings on the main flippers. I feel like I have a lot more control and am better able to trap the ball. They also look a heck of a lot better than the stock rubbers which always seemed dusty.

Almost feels like cheating...I think they bounce the same...but they certainly grip the ball differently for drop catches, and tipping the ball.

I just changed all of my games out, too. Agree...they are a great addition.

#1431 3 years ago
Quoted from Geremy13:

Hello everyone.,,,
I suppose I am happy to see this thread as well. I am guessing there were issues with the rest of the community on this game. I have not had enough time to read all posts regarding other folks opinions... which is really what I like,,, the good, the bad, the ugly...... just like to hear it straight. But I am guessing there were too many opinions that bashed it out of proportion.
Anyhow, I really like this community of people that enjoy this hobby and share all of their thoughts and ideas and experiences with various pinballs that they own or have played or want to own.
So, here I am. I am really interested in this game. I got to play it a year ago at the Louisville Expo,,, it was really cool. Since then I have purchased a Tron and a AC/DC.... I am really brand new, but have got bit. Now I think I want a WOZ.... but want to hear everybody's honest opinion.
I played it again this year, and my first impression was 'wow' this is a little dark. All of the videos that I have seen and make me want this game, and then I see it again in person and thought that the whole gameplay was darker than I remember......... As for the 'gameplay' it is hard for me to give an opinion because who can do that playing only for a few minutes after waiting in line to play......
Anyhow, What do you all think?... I mean 'Overall'. And how about price?.... I have an opportunity to purchase a Standard for about 8K, in stock and ready to ship, no waiting, no deposits, etc......
I have read about people saying that there are LE's that people are trying to sell for 7K but I can't seem to find them, so ........ just don't know.
Lastly, what is the difference between and LE (that people are dumping, but I can't find.)... and a Standard... that JJP will accept my deposit, but I have a seller right now NIB for same price.
All help appreciated. Really like the game and want honest opinions on all of the above.

Did you ever buy?

1 month later
#1529 3 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Few questions on the mods available and what you guys think looks best.
First the castle and witches well mod. When the witches wells installed do you leave the plastic encloser off? Also does the castle walls block any view of the RESCUE targets?
I see alot of different candy decals being sold. Which do you guys think are the best ones to buy?
Im going to get my Standard legs, armor, and hinges powder coated. If you could pick any color what do you think would look the best?
What other mods do you think are tasteful and look really good installed?
Thanks for any insight provided. Game is so much fun and getting better daily as we figure out the rules, thanks tismasc for the rules!

Just mho... But the Back Alley Creations castle and tornado mods are the way to go. Awesome quality

#1533 3 years ago
Quoted from system11:

This is exactly what's happening to me - I've just taken a look and the monkey plastic is touching the door post when all the way up - if the ball were anywhere near the centre there would be no problem, but it looks like it's being picked up by the washer, when the monkey reaches the top it releases, and most of the time the ball simply lands on that protective foam strip they added, and rolls off the edge.
Has anyone solved this? The monkey can't go further up the mech unless I go cutting parts out of the plastic, when parked up there the magnet is actually further to the left of centre and in perfect position. Also can someone tell me which way their magnet core is facing? There's a cut out of the washer, mine faces forwards. meaning the 'channel' in the magnet core is horizontal. It seems impossible to change this, the part is all fixed together. Not sure what to do about this one, I don't want to remove the foam (theres 2 thin strips) because then the ball might pick up damage from landing on the metal edge.
» YouTube video

Had this problem... Did same thing in post #1520. Worked for me. Fixed it right away

#1535 3 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

I was looking at their castle mod this morning. I love the level of detail in the stone, to me it looks much more like an old rotting stone wall! So far I have not seen a tornado mod that I like, maybe seeing them in person would be different.

Lots of great details...both the castle and tornado look great and have a hand-made one of a kind appeal. Look absolutely fabulous installed.

#1540 3 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

I have to say my RR WOZ is the game I just love to hate. Had it for a few months now and although I am slowly getting better, it consistently kicks my ass every time I step up to the flippers. I am seriously thinking about putting zip ties across the outlane posts so I can at least look like I can score more then 10 points.....those drains are brutal lol. OK, I am not really going to do it, but I am sooo tempted just so I can get some practice time. It's hard to develop any technique when the ball is constantly down the side drain. (I know, I know, that is mostly because I put it there, but I am no pro by any means). Anyone else come up with a set of training wheels or ideas for their WOZ that helped with the ball times?

Do you know how to drop catch? I find this technique HUGE when playing WOZ.

#1545 3 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Depends on what you call a drop catch? Explain the process. I'll admit I don't have a whole lot of technique....I try and watch some of the u-tube videos for pointers, but there is a hang to this game I just haven't mastered yet.

This:

and This:

You could say this about any pinball game...but I've found these two techniques to be really helpful in keeping a WOZ game alive.

#1577 3 years ago

I squeezed in a game this morning before starting the day... Had the funniest thing happen. I qualified the castle/monkey lock and the started multiball. During multiball, 3 balls ended up at the monkey magnet at the same time. The monkey caught one and the other two stuck to that ball. The monkey ended up hauling a chain of 3 balls up to the castle.

One ball locked and the other two dropped to the playfield.

#1584 3 years ago
Quoted from bdaley6509:

Hi everyone. I just installed a Pinballbulbs illumination kit. I love the way it helps the lighting, but the fact that it's always on is kind of a disappointment. Any thoughts on others who have it installed?

That's the reason I avoided it.

Isn't there a way to increase lighting brightness in the settings? I can't remember.

#1587 3 years ago

Does mezel still make the winki?

#1597 3 years ago

Just to note, you can buy the RR molded add-one from back alley creations. I did, and they are super!

#1599 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

True, you can buy all those add-ons that the RR has...

Technically, you could make a standard look just like a RR minus the backglass and apron... I think those are the only parts that would be hard to come by.

I'm fairly sure JJP sells the topper... And Matt sells the molded parts....powder coating is easy.

The castle walls and tornado pieces he makes are A+ build quality. Big improvement over the shipped castle plastics.

1 week later
#1644 3 years ago

How many owners have kept the slipper/flipper bats on the game?

After about a week, I ordered red sparkly flipper bats from Planetary and pulled the slipper/flippers. To my eyes, this was a huge improvement in the overall look of the game from a player's perspective. Really had a hard time with the look and size of those red shoes mounted on the flippers...

#1650 3 years ago

Planetary Pinball used to carry them... Not sure if they still do or not. Assume they do. They're the same red/sparkly bat minus the RR slipper

#1655 3 years ago

Yup... That's it!

#1659 3 years ago

Mine have held up fine for almost 2 years

#1670 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I'm guessing we've all heard that one, my wife warns new guests not to play on the same game as me "or you'll never get to play". I'm not really that good and people who care to learn a game or how to play in general will watch but the casual players get bored and bail out.

Yup. The other favorite in my home is to start a two or three player game with casual players, and the second the first ball is lost they head off to play another game while they wait for their turn.

Attention spans are short...especially for pinball

#1682 3 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Tip: Put some blue tape on the bit at the point you want to stop drilling as a guide so you don't accidently drill through the playfield.

Just wanted to add to this... blue tape was my method in the past...until one terrible moment when the tape slipped and I poked a hole right through a playfield.

I HIGHLY recommend getting a bit cuff that you can secure on the drill bit. No slippage. No pain. No tears.

#1686 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

New Hi score for me with version 6 code.
3 balls outlanes on easiest

Glass on or off?

Man... That's quite an accomplishment

#1717 3 years ago

What color is Flipper Frenzy in the Crystal Ball Mode?

I've never had Flipper Frenzy since the last code update!

#1721 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

You have to get through all 4 crystal ball modes (weak flippers = green, no hold flippers = red, lights on = yellow, lights off = dark blue) first, then flipper frenzy is next (light blue).

Ah....ok... has that changed since early code?

If not, then this is an embarrassing admission of my suck-ti-tude

#1724 3 years ago

Has anyone developed a reliable method of hitting the"b" in ball?

3 months later
#2552 3 years ago
Quoted from dotEXE:

Got a message from Katie over at JJP yesterday. My WoZRR is about to come off the line and should be ready to ship next week. I'm so very, very excited. I've been waking up every day for the last month thinking "one day closer to my WoZ".

You should be! WOZ is incredible!

#2553 3 years ago

Tricks to hitting throne room shot....

anyone have any?

#2573 3 years ago

I wouldn't worry about the play field protector... just call JJP and buy the mylar kit (which I believe is free for original owners?). It was easy to install

#2634 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

About to join the club this week - that said, I am getting an original run WOZ standard - no shaker, no Invisiglass. I'm starting to wonder if I should hold out for an EC or RR? Any advice? Or should I just not worry about it and upgrade later if I want?

I went through the same decision process... ended up with a deal for a standard that included shaker...then added the BAC castle walls and tornado...the lit winkie target...and cliffy's. Have never looked back or thought twice about it. Game is absolutely awesome.

I've played both ECLE and RR... both are beautiful games. I actually like how the lights dance and shine off the plain metal wire forms on the Standard.

Anyway... my 2-cents... get what you think will make you happy, but just know that the standard is still a rockin game

2 weeks later
#2750 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Ok, first issue. Had league night and WOZ gave out. It will not spit out balls. The game starts but will not put a ball in play. I don't know much about jjp games so here is my first issue.

Wonder if it's the voltage switch on the coindoor?

#2754 3 years ago

Just to add to the collective knowledge base...

I started having an issue with the winged monkey this week. It would pick up the ball and VERY slowly work its way to the castle lock...stopping just short and dropping the ball on the playfield. I thought it was a switch adjustment issue and tried tweaking the top switch...but no dice...in fact the monkey was stopping well short of the switch.

So, further investigation led me to go into the test mode an manually operating the monkey. I noted it approached the playfield going fast but would move toward the castle at a labored paced. After messing around with the switch again...I ended up putting a little machine oil on the threaded shaft that the monkey travels on. I then ran the monkey up and down...and as the oil worked itself into the shaft, the monkey instantly began moving more quickly AND at the same rate of speed up and down.

Problem solved... monkey now locks the ball in the castle again.

I guess it was taking so long to get from the playfield to the castle that the game has code that times the ball lock...and if the ball doesn't register in the castle, it stops the monkey and has it drop the ball.

Anyhow, word to the wise!

#2756 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I had an issue with the monkey moving slowly and making a lot of noise like it was binding up, basically right out of the box. I used machine oil, which helped for several days then the problem returned. I tried other oils, spray lithium grease and several other things, being conscious of the fact it's going to throw a spray of anything very light whenever it runs. I eventually fixed with with some marine grade grease, applied lightly and evenly along threaded shaft. Haven't had the issue return in about a year now.

I also applied up and down the shaft... can't remember the kind of oil. *hopefully* the problem won't return... but thanks for the tip on what worked for you.

#2766 3 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Monkey issue here: lately when the monkey goes down, it sits on top of the ball and does not return. If I hit both flippers, the monkey then travels to the castle. Has this happened to anyone else?

There's a switch at the bottom (backside of the back board)... Check to see if it needs adjustment

#2769 3 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Thanks I'll check that. But where?..backside of the back board? Where is that?

You have to pull the playfield forward.... the screw/motor mechanism that makes the monkey travel is located on the backside of the playfield back board. You'll see a switch at the top and a switch at the bottom...which tells the game the when the monkey is at the castle or at playfield level. Little bending adjustments to those switches will give the monkey more or less travel.

If the problem is your bottom switch, you'll need to bend it so that that switch gets triggered earlier. Do adjustments in small increments...test... rinse, wash, repeat. Hopefully that will work!

#2778 3 years ago

Wow. What a score. I can't come close to touching that!

#2780 3 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

Nobody cares but I'm excited and need somewhere to shout into.
Just got news from JJP; after a few weeks of unexpected delays my WoZRR will be in a box and ready to ship tomorrow! Here's hoping it gets here fast what with Thanksgiving happening next week. I have no idea why it was delayed getting off the line 3 different times, but I am stupidly excited that we're finally setting up shipping.
Edit: Does anyone happen to know how long shipping takes? Or what company they use for the white glove service? Looks like the machine has to make it 1,161 miles.

You're in for a treat.

WOZ, in my opinion, is unrivaled. It is one helluva pinball experience.

2 weeks later
#2859 2 years ago
Quoted from Mechanized:

WOZ owners, does anybody else have their ball not make it up the munchkin ramp when shooting a lined up shot from right flipper?
I don't want to increase power, because I have "bounces" reduced to a minimum.
Just curious...
I love the game, however sometimes I feel Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!! When the ball falls short of power to make it up the ramp. "That could've started a multi ball, you know"

It's gotta be a solid shot from the right flipper...not always possible

#2870 2 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

With how often the witch whips the ball straight down the middle or straight into the left outlanedf

I never have that happen. You might want to check the level of your game?

#2889 2 years ago
Quoted from mtp78:

Happy to report Frank from JJP called me . They are sending out a tech to re decal the head. I appreciate the fast service.they seem to really stand behind their product

Would you mind detailing how the tech goes about it? I have to replace a head decal on mine (at some point)...

3 months later
#3563 2 years ago

Alright...

Who is going to install lightning flippers on their WOZ????

3 months later
#4059 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

By the way...the lighting system "issue" is waaay overblown in my opinion. I had one bad board on mine immediately upon unboxing my game years ago (a single GI board, 7.5 V -no buffer board). I did the bypass board thing and the game played perfect without it. When I received the replacement board I installed it and unbypassed it. It's been rock-solid ever since. Only other issue I've had in the years I've had it was a bad Wizard Head LED strip. That was a cheap 5 minute replacement.
Saying that, I know people had real issues with the 5v boards and were having to replace them like crazy...7.5v boards are solid in my experience.

I agree with this... a few months ago I contacted JJP about the rumor of parts/chips disappearing and had a great conversation with the guy that engineered the whole system. He says JJP has mountains of parts and repairs can be made if necessary. Yes, some people have had issues, but name one Pinball machine/system that doesn't have issues.

I think spending time worrying about it is a waste of time. No guarantee that a 2.0 game won't develop issues.

#4060 2 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Why did JJP decide to go to all the hassle of changing the lighting system on its flagship game that has been produced for 4+ years with the new design? Including new parts/new drawings/ new code, etc...
My guess is that the change happened because the new system is significantly better than the old system.
I have a beautiful RR with the old system that I will sell to anyone that is dying to get there hands on the old boards so I can replace it with a new RR with the new light system.

Nope. They changed because one of the parts (a chip) has been discontinued. They bought tons of the remaining chips for repairs.

#4061 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Hey all.
I am pondering to buy a new Woz. I believe will be new (if I can swing it) but I am somewhat concerned with if there are some issues with Woz specifically does it break down more than a typical game.
I am not trying to start any trouble, I just was curious, also if I was buying new would that be better such as light board issues which I've hears so much about.
Also what the best way to add GI lighting, is there a kit that I can buy?
I'm off to play my friends RR pin hopefully I will decide to get WoZ (Other pin I'm considering is AFMr)
thanks

Phil - don't add lighting... you'll ruin the awesome WOZ lighting experience! I ply mine in the dark - no issues

#4065 2 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

I totally agree. Effective lighting has as much or more to do with what is not lit (shadow is a major component to lighting). WOZ uses that principle well. The machine has the lighting capacity to blow it out and practically blind you, but doesn't all the time for a reason.
It's designed to treat the playfield more like a stage rather than a stadium.

Said way more eloquently than my dribble, but agree 1000%!

#4066 2 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

A system that requires a huge stockpile of replacements in addition to being completely replaced sounds like a system to avoid.
Not complaining, I encourage innovation and I am a big fan of what JJP has done and how they continue to push the boundaries. No other manufacturer comes close to the level of innovation that JJP puts into its games. That is why I am a JJP customer and will continue to be. Sometimes it works sometimes not. To me this is a case of not and if I was in the market for a RRWOZ, knowing what I know now (BEST PINBALL MACHINE EVER!!!!) and having had the issues I had with my lights I would pay extra for a new machine with the new system v. saving some scratch and getting the daisy chain version.
I know there are people that get off on figuring out why their machine isn't working. That isn't me. I want to be able to quickly id the problem and fix it. My experience was one of extreme frustration playing whack-a-mole with this lighting system. Its not for me and if you are like me and want a simpler troubleshooting process, the new system is the way to go.

They only bought the stock to have it on hand...makes sense. It's not like they are preparing for replacement battle. Technology just changed and grew. It was inevitable. Every system out there ages and eventually becomes obsolete...look at the current Stern node boards (not to mention that JJP 2.0 boards could easily turn into JJP 3.0 in a few years). You want to talk about a nightmare? What happens when Stern moves on from those (or changes designs) and buyers have an issue (and folks are having issues right now). I'm not sure about you, but I have station and can repair most parts on a WPC board...but those SMD boards are impossible for the average person to tackle.

Some people had light board issues, yes. But most people didn't (and don't). And if you talk to Butch (not read the internet full of arm chair QBs), it's apparent that JJP knows exactly what's going on and have prepared to service customers as long as they are in business.

#4070 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

AcDc is great but not as great as it could have been. .

Blasphemy!

1 week later
#4099 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I've got it on order waiting delivery. It's actually a trade for my STLE which I like but the code never grabbed me plus I have AcDc and SM for similar shots layout which both have better code imo of course.
Like to say, with my other pins Tron or IM with small rule set love them too but quite confined in ways to play probably Tron rules total would be one third of Woz as far as various objectives.

You're going to have to get it home and judge for yourself. It's either going to captivate you, or you're gonna want to move it. That's going to be your call and how it aligns to what you enjoy in Pinball.

You frequently site TWD as a favorite pin of yours - as do many others. I had it for a year, grew tired of it, sold it, and haven't thought twice about it being gone. A lot of folks would never think of selling their TWD... I can't ever imagine wanting it in my collection again.

WOZ is, as the previous post suggests, a masterpiece. But, it's only a masterpiece in the eyes of folks who love it. I also think games like BSD and Taxi are masterpieces... I'm sure there are a lot of people who would disagree for the same reasons I would agree!

#4101 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

That's because you didn't have TWD pro ((I greatly prefer))
IMO like the rules of TWD more than other fast brutal pins and the pro just adds to the pace.
Someone once described Woz as Tspp (plus).
If Tspp was made by JJP with color changing lights like Woz with LCD that would be my dream pin.
If Woz approaches Tspp, let alone surpasses it I'm sure I'll love it.
Some also say Woz shoots like TZ that's my number one shooting/toys pin of all time.

LOL... ah... no.

I've had plenty of time on the Proand premium.

2 months later
#4419 2 years ago

^^ 100% agree ^^

#4423 2 years ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

We're having a blast with the machine! Amazing! I went ahead and ordered 5 GI light boards, 1 as a spare. I tried re-seating the connectors and it didn't help so I am pretty sure I just need new boards. No biggie. LOVE THE GAME

I really believe WOZ is the best pin ever made... hope you get years of enjoyment out of it.

#4427 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Just got mine, but I'm starting to get that feeling too.
I had never got any Crystal Ball mode until I got mine and it's really special, looking forward to the other fun modes in the future.

I’ve been telling you that for a couple of years! Next time, listen ))

2 months later
#4781 1 year ago

Updated to 6.60... witch no longer registering :-/

#4815 1 year ago

I updated to 6.6 and the witch instantly stopped registering hits.

?

Is this a code thing, or do I need to lift the hood and re-adjust the switches?

1 week later
#4865 1 year ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Almost to 1m before new years. When I get things stacked nice, I always think my score will be huge. When I miss my shits though, doesnt matter that i have stacks going. This is my best so far.
Question: What is the best stack you can make for the most points? Right now I get a lot of ECMB/MELT WITCH combined with a 2x crystal ball multiplier. Sprinkle in a munchkin mode as well, and some times escape. Still...not getting the TRIPLE jackpot enough to make it all count.
I think my highest after ball bonus was around 170k. Not bad.

Always a good thing to take care of things in the toilet department before stacking.

1 week later
#4939 1 year ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Opinions wanted.
Leave it alone and just play (and replace the whole mini pf at a later date)
Put mylar down in that area and play
Put mylar down and get the cliffy
Other: please specify

My 2 cents: play the hell out of your game and enjoy it. If you think the game is a life-long keeper, order the Cliffy and a new mini PF and keep them in reserve.

1 week later
#4976 1 year ago
Quoted from Wiggy:

Yesterday my brother's WOZ finally came. Went to his house to help set it up, but boy what an anticlimax that was...

The playfield glass has broken into a million pieces and the left side off the cab and the backbox has broken loose. Probably more damage but thats all we could see. We stopped unpacking when we noticed the damage.
What we think has happend is that the truck must have lift it up and transported it on the "wrong side" (not following the instructions on the box). Leading to too much weight on the outside of the package, causing it to drop crashing into the ground.

Goes to show: always open while delivery is still there!

4 weeks later
#5081 1 year ago

Installed pin stadium (GI color changing with UV flash)... have had about 1.5 weeks... decided it’s not floating my boat. Going to pull it and put it up for sale, if anyone might be interested. Still have shipping tube, etc.

#5084 1 year ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

What specifically did you not like? Just curious as I was contemplating buying a set once upon a time.

It works exactly as advertised... I can understand why so many people love it. I just prefer the factory lighting.

#5088 1 year ago

Don’t make the game easier!!!! That’s one of the beauties of WOZ. It’s evil!

#5102 1 year ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Hi guys, Satan here, just wanted to let you know how I setup my WoZ. Turned off the ball saver. Limit the game to two extra balls that are quite difficult to earn. Took the middle STDM prevention post out. Moved the outlanes to their widest positions. Changed the ruby slippers with lightning flippers.
The game is now truly evil and incredibly rewarding when you achieve some of the deeper modes.

That's pretty deep and all... I actually removed my flipper bats and didn't replace them with anything.

Game is tough as hell

#5111 1 year ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Fast and brutal WoZ is what I want and I love it.
For what it’s worth I’m not trying to sell “WoZ should be harder” to anybody. I was just sharing my own feelings on my own setup.

I agree with you FlippyD. Keep it tough and difficult!

1 year later
#9283 12 days ago

I’m in the middle of installing 2.0 right now... I know a lot of folks say the GI lighting is way dimmer with 2.0 kit. Just an observation (and I know nothing about LED tech), but it sure looks like the LED surface mounts are a lot smaller on the 2.0 boards than the old 7.5 boards.

Could it just be a case of the new LEDs having less light output capability (and not a software issue)?

New on left...
EEDC6B54-D69A-4721-A44D-618AA6FEA518 (resized).jpeg

#9317 8 days ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

So, after hearing lots of people complain about the dimness when switching to 2.0 lighting -- something I had kind of noticed before but didn't think it was that significant -- I decided to increase the LED strength to High in the settings to give it a try. I actually think it makes a big difference. It doesn't affect the GI, but the inserts do seem much more vibrant. I would definitely recommend doing it. As for the GI, it does appear to be a bit dimmer as well, but I don't play in total darkness so it doesn't bother me too much. Still, it would be nice to have a similar adjustment in the settings.

The GI dim issue with 2.0 is real... definitely significant. I’m disappointed with the results... makes zero sense.

#9321 7 days ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Definitely disappointing and frustrating . I had to take a break from working on WOZ after my 2.0 conversion so I wouldn’t grow to hate a great game from working on it too much all at once. Now I’m picking up the tools again and adding spotlights and trough lighting because the game needs SOMETHING functional for GI.

Utterly ridiculous that JJP is selling us an $800 fix (+ a significant investment in time) for their poorly designed system... and the end result is it doesn’t allow the game to present the way it was intended.

The 2.0 kit destroys the natural ambience the game presented with 5/7.5

Do new games running the 2.0 system ship this dim?

#9326 7 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

Exaggerating. The 2.0 GI is a little dimmer, but WoZ was a dark game from day one. Whether you have 1.xx or 2.xx lighting buy a few spotlights, problem solved, move on. It's not the only pin with a dark playfield.

It’s not an exaggeration. If I had known this would be the result. I would have kept 7.5 and stocked up on key boards.

JJP has acknowledged so... they say they are looking into a software fix. But there are zero guarantees or promises.

#9327 7 days ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I’ve only noticed a slight dimming, not to the extent that others seem to report after doing the 2.0 conversion. Are you guys sure your GI lights are all correctly centered on the tubes? I know I am off center on a few.

Yes

#9328 7 days ago

Not an exaggeration. Pre-2.0 conversion, I was happy with the lighting (except for the fact that it was buggy as hell). Now I can’t see the ball well enough to play without pointing a light from the room at the machine.

I agree.

Friends that have seen it agree also

#9336 7 days ago

Not bitching - just stating my experience so that others who are faced with the choice of replacing defective original older boards or converting to 2.0 know that not all is well after the investment. More time and money will be needed. Nothing is amiss with my installation. I reviewed it via email and photos with JJP. They confirmed that it was correct and that their sample machine looked the same in terms of gi brightness. They also confirmed that gi brightness with the conversion is an issue that others have raised. They said they would ask their software people to look into it but didn’t promise anything. So again, I’m speaking up here because had I known about this when I was faced with the 2.0 conversion decision, I might have made a different decision.

I agree with this 100%. Nothing is amiss with install on my end either. For whatever reason, 2.0 on NIB games behaves differently than retro-fitted.

JJP knows it. I’m not holding my breath for a software fix.... and they basically said to buy aftermarket lighting, which I’d prefer not to do because I liked the original unfettered light show.

I talked to JJP fairly extensively - by phone - prior to dropping $800 on their kit. They never once mentioned that the GI would take a serious hit. They should have... because like this Pinsider, I likely would have altered my decision making.

#9339 7 days ago

Adding 6 spot lights fixes it a lot.
2 on each sling, 1 under the tree, 1 over dorothy.
Easy and fairly cheap $45-$50
Just use 12v bulbs.
Or buy an expensive kit. $130
I have them on my 7.5v game and it's pretty good.
I used purple LEDs. They bring out more colors in the game.

Where’d you source 12v bulbs

Can you shoot a few pics of your playfield?

#9362 5 days ago

I would say the GI can be augmented (basically replaced) by spotlights (or stadium lighting, etc) but a big feature of a game like WOZ is rgb lighting that changes with the gameplay! Heck, for POTC JJP even made lack of rgb gi a downgrade for the standard models.
What you lack with a retrofitted 2.0 WOZ is effective/noticeable rgb gi. End of story unless JJP engineers yet another fix.
Yes, you can add spotlights without a lot of time if you buy a pre-made kit but soldering, shrink tubing, molex harness connectors and zip ties for a good diy job are going to take a hell of a lot longer than 30 minutes and guess what? No matter how you slice it, you'll still not have a machine that looks like it was supposed to. You'll have a machine where the inserts work (are we supposed to be super grateful about this???) and the rgb gi is barely visible. This after 12-16 hours of your time plus close to a thousand dollars ($830 + whatever on additional retrofit gi lights) poured into "fixing" the lighting. (Not to mention the fact that adding spotlights seriously obscures the artwork on the slingshots.)
Bottom line, JJP still hasn't gotten basic lighting engineered right for any of the original WOZ games. But the game itself is so good that some owners continue to defend them or minimize the insulting nature of the situation even after all this.

Couldn’t say it better

#9365 5 days ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

Curious question...I have two drilled out holes on one of my ramps and nothing attached to this location. This is on a brand new RR.
Can anyone tell me what they are for or what they were once used for?[quoted image]

I have those holes... 2014 build

#9376 4 days ago
Quoted from Meri-cah:

These holes (at least on my machine WoZRR) are where the “additional” interactive twister is mounted. The additional twister has lights and strobe in twister mode inside the actual twister. Yes I know I said twister a lot. On the bottom of the additional twister are 2 little plastic push button things that go into those 2 holes you see there. I’m at work but can post a picture later if needed. Hope this helps.

That twister is aftermarket... they simply took advantage of the holes to mount their mod.

#9379 2 days ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

Crystal ball came off the mount last night.
Recommendations for reattaching it?
On a machine that is barely a month old, I am surprised by all of the things that keep breaking or need to be fixed/re-laced. This is becoming a weekly endeavor, having to fix things and is frustrating being the machine is so new.

That's pinball... and not ucommon with NIB. Contact JJP or ask ltg on the best method to fix.

#9380 2 days ago

Those holes mount the twister plastic from the prototype.

Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 12.47.55 PM (resized).png
#9387 1 day ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Hi,
I'm awaiting my woz pro, the one with the issue on the monkey. The motor works uy the monkey moves freely.
From what I understood the issue is linked to a lack of transmission between the rotating rod and the monkey part.
Does anyone have an example of good way to fix it?
There was a mention of tubing used by railroad modelers but I would be happy to have more precise info
Thanks

There are switches at the top and bottom. If they aren’t working, the Monkey doesn’t work. Go into switch test mode and confirm.

#9394 4 hours ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I DARE you to name them Mini-Pinstadiums lol. Looks good.

Should probably link them to every game in the Pinside market database, too.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 265.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 16.95
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, TN

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside