Topic Stats

• 9,701 posts
  • 527 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 hours ago by pinballinreno
  • Topic is favorited by 236 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,296 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0114202103 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
23DFA0F8-F7D9-42C7-8453-91C8A1D53110 (resized).jpeg
FD7E2A3C-284E-40FF-B7CA-E61EE101FC4D (resized).jpeg
48412A48-5DB3-409D-87E0-6561CAAC4287 (resized).jpeg
5A5C6F21-5817-44DD-AD1E-007D340956E3 (resized).jpeg
B46EE18D-238B-473F-9CCC-5C7024BE0644 (resized).jpeg
F7AAC952-38F1-4E43-A438-332C3312069A (resized).jpeg
54291594-2914-42B3-9F07-0D00BB386FA9 (resized).jpeg
8E504E51-718C-4C02-8AC5-CD6CDFE89043 (resized).jpeg
0241E615-0E07-4B7A-8CA3-CA4B3DE8CD87.jpeg
41FFFEBA-72F4-4B67-8ABE-84B207C59FA1.jpeg
3E45001E-B173-486D-8F98-DA99B261538F.jpeg
hallmark_2025 (resized).jpg
4DBCA69C-D905-4480-826D-DC07C7F064F9 (resized).jpeg
0B2E9FB8-C7F4-43DC-BF21-0DA79AADAD48 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 9701 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 195.
#2901 3 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Yep, there are 3 light strips each matches their respective topper.
ECLE: green center with orange-red segments attached to the sides
Standard: all green
RR: all white
RGB would have been neat but with the ECLE having two colors it would have meant individually controlled RGB and all that added expense. Standard single color led's get the job done just fine.
Good idea gooing with the 75th topper too, I personally like that one a lot better than the emerald city topper.

Thanks for the input guys. So do I order that from jjp or is there a different (cheaper?) source?

#2902 3 years ago

Despite the mostly minor issues with this pin, it is my favorite pin of all time. I ordered it on the suggestion of friends without ever having played it and I am thoroughly impressed with the theme integration, shots, gimmicks and everything else that makes this the pin to beat IMO.

#2903 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Thanks for the input guys. So do I order that from jjp or is there a different (cheaper?) source?

You should be ok with just 12v LED strip. These are what are used on the added lighting kits. No exact but similar. Let me know if I am wrong

ebay.com link » 1 20m Rgb 5050 Smd Waterproof 300 Led Light Strip Flexible Ir Remote 12v Power

#2904 3 years ago

CRAZY idea. Could be life altering but does anyone know the type of RGBs on the JJP light boards? Are they just WS2811 or WS2812 SMD? Obviously they are addressable. So most likely some flavor of WS2811 or WS2812. But I had the red on my N go out and I am faced with buying a whole new board, buying a new Munchkin PF, or just living with it. If it is just a bad SMD it would seem logical to me I can just put a new SMD in. I shall investigate further. Open to any knowledge you all have. Could turn a $150 replacement into a $5 one. OR ruin the whole thing.....

#2905 3 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

CRAZY idea. Could be life altering but does anyone know the type of RGBs on the JJP light boards? Are they just WS2811 or WS2812 SMD? Obviously they are addressable. So most likely some flavor of WS2811 or WS2812. But I had the red on my N go out and I am faced with buying a whole new board, buying a new Munchkin PF, or just living with it. If it is just a bad SMD it would seem logical to me I can just put a new SMD in. I shall investigate further. Open to any knowledge you all have. Could turn a $150 replacement into a $5 one. OR ruin the whole thing.....

Some people are having rainbow light card individual led failures.
I would suggest getting a new one and possibly sending your old one in for credit or slight discount perhaps.

#2906 3 years ago

I've talked to JJP regarding the issue. I think I posted about it here. If I send the board back in a new one (with the credit) is(CORRECTED-board alone is $150) $70. So for me to lose a board and still have to pay $70.....that's a hefty repair bill for 1 bad LED. Not even the whole thing, just the red on the N

Quoted from pinballinreno:

Some people are having rainbow light card individual led failures.
I would suggest getting a new one and possibly sending your old one in for credit or slight discount perhaps.

#2907 3 years ago

Sorry it's $150 for for the board. But with the credit it's $70. Still a hefty repair bill for just one led and one chip. Makes me want to see if there is a better option. $25 seems reasonable for one bad led. $70 is kinda silly.

#2908 3 years ago

it has been discussed and the consensus was the LED drivers were out of production.

#2910 3 years ago

Regardless I'm still looking to see if there is something else that can be fixed. I love this game and 10 years from now it may be impossible to get a replacement board. So I'm looking into the long term future of it

#2911 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

it has been discussed and the consensus was the LED drivers were out of production.

Hmm....well........ That's pretty concerning. Again...all the more reason to find a new solution. I'm assuming everyone here would benefit from a solution

#2912 3 years ago

I'm not sure how I missed this conversation less than a month ago. Wow. Well good news is we have time. Best time to prep for an asteroid strike is before you see it.

So I'll keep looking to see if anyone comes up with something of a solution or....order 100 from China!!

We are smart folk. We'll figure it out. In the mean time I can dream.

Thanks for puttibg me on track!

#2913 3 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

I'm not sure how I missed this conversation less than a month ago. Wow. Well good news is we have time. Best time to prep for an asteroid strike is before you see it.
So I'll keep looking to see if anyone comes up with something of a solution or....order 100 from China!!
We are smart folk. We'll figure it out. In the mean time I can dream.
Thanks for puttibg me on track!

Time for Rottendog to start making JJP boards!

#2914 3 years ago

I've never had any issues with my LED's but I agree having reasonable solutions available for the future would be ideal.

I totally appreciate JJP's exchange program, but with you that its not ideal (cost or down time).

While the drivers are discontinued, if a single led goes out doesn't that point more towards the individual SMD, which while not the easiest thing to replace for 5 bucks vs 70, I'd do that all day long.

#2915 3 years ago

I'm not following this and feel like I'm missing something. What is not being supplied anymore, and what does it do?

#2916 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I'm not following this and feel like I'm missing something. What is not being supplied anymore, and what does it do?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-driver-replacment#post-3315458

#2917 3 years ago

Thanks. I guess I don't know enough about how LEDs work to know what this means. Does this mean that JJP may not be able to make replacement boards in the future, or does it just mean that people won't be able to repair their own boards?

I don't have the skills to work on soldering chips on and off boards so I think I will always be dependent upon getting replacement parts from JJP. I do worry about the costs. I'm still under warranty, but when that runs out, they do charge a lot for the boards. If they lasted for years, that might not be a big deal, but if you have one or two fail a year, that is a much bigger expense than being able to simply replace a bulb.

#2918 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Thanks. I guess I don't know enough about how LEDs work to know what this means. Does this mean that JJP may not be able to make replacement boards in the future, or does it just mean that people won't be able to repair their own boards?
I don't have the skills to work on soldering chips on and off boards so I think I will always be dependent upon getting replacement parts from JJP. I do worry about the costs. I'm still under warranty, but when that runs out, they do charge a lot for the boards. If they lasted for years, that might not be a big deal, but if you have one or two fail a year, that is a much bigger expense than being able to simply replace a bulb.

The led driver chip, A6281 3-Channel Constant Current LED Driver with Programmable PWM Control,
has been discontinued from the manufacturer, Allegro. Its unknown yet whether or not a suitable replacement can be fitted.
All is not lost though as there are thousands of Chinese made $2 LED driver boards available, to steal the chip from if necessary for awhile.

Herg provided a link to some here

http://macetech.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1

#2919 3 years ago

Anybody know the part number for the LED chip itself.

#2920 3 years ago

Can somebody explain what the early game LED issue was caused by and what they came up with as a solution. I think I have an issue with number 30 under the castle. It looks like it was replaced once already as the 30 sticker is on top of a number 20 sticker.

Since I have the thing all apart now is it possible to swap number 30 with another under the normal playfield so I can then swap it out easy later? Are these interchangeable? How do I get a replacement and how much are they?

Right now I only have the top half of the lights working. Thanks!

#2921 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Anybody know the part number for the LED chip itself.

The part number is

a6281

Its a great all in 1 package, Im surprised they discontinued it, unless people just needed more channels.

http://hackaday.com/2009/06/29/parts-shiftbrite-rgb-led-module-a6281/

#2922 3 years ago

The part number is
a6281
Its a great all in 1 package, Im surprised they discontinued it, unless people just needed more channels.
http://hackaday.com/2009/06/29/parts-shiftbrite-rgb-led-module-a6281/

The driver (a6281) is the same, but I don't think that is the same LED chip that is used in WOZ.

#2923 3 years ago

I was thinking the same thing....the led chip that is driven seems different.

#2924 3 years ago

The led driver chip, A6281 3-Channel Constant Current LED Driver with Programmable PWM Control,
has been discontinued from the manufacturer, Allegro. Its unknown yet whether or not a suitable replacement can be fitted.
All is not lost though as there are thousands of Chinese made $2 LED driver boards available, to steal the chip from if necessary for awhile.
Herg provided a link to some here
http://macetech.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1

I'm still not following. Does this affect JJP or just those who want to fix the boards themselves?

#2925 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I'm still not following. Does this affect JJP or just those who want to fix the boards themselves?

This impacts us who want to repair it ourselves.

I'm sure JJP (and more likely the board manufacturer) has a plentiful stockpile of them for any foreseeable builds. Should supply become low enough to become expensive for them I'm sure they could whip up a redesign that uses currently available components.... but edventually those will be end of life too..

Such is the state of modern elecronics and the era of packaged components.

#2926 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

This only affects repairing of old/used boards.

There are a lot of ways to drive an LED.

If JJP cant get the older parts they will redesign or redevelop a new replacement board around a different driver chip if necessary.

This will not affect the end user, other than possibly higher costs to pay for different parts or development.

Companies continuously upgrade or alter circuit boards based upon durability concerns or parts availability, but as long as any new part works and fits correctly we will be fine.

My concerns as other have stated is the ability to inexpensively field repair a board, on location, becomes difficult if everything is modularized, proprietary or surface mounted. It becomes a lot more complicated than cutting off a transistor or diode or jumping a fuse.

This is especially worrisome if durability is in question. Does the repair tech have to carry thousands of dollars worth of replacement modules for all of the different technologies that are emerging? And then later repair said modules on a more sophisticated bench?

Maybe its just the cost of progress...

#2927 3 years ago

Thanks guys. I get it now. I wish I was skilled enough to do board repair. Its going to have to be something I teach myself in retirement, which is quite a ways off. In the meantime, I do wish there was a cheaper alternative once warranties run out especially if board failure is going to be a not infrequent occurrence.

#2928 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Thanks guys. I get it now. I wish I was skilled enough to do board repair. Its going to have to be something I teach myself in retirement, which is quite a ways off. In the meantime, I do wish there was a cheaper alternative once warranties run out especially if board failure is going to be a not infrequent occurrence.

Its not rocket science to do board repairs. It just takes care and a feel for the temperatures.
Start by taking an old broken pc board that you will never use.
Carefully and professionally remove all of the components. Try and not destroy the board as they are fragile and susceptible to heat damage

Replace the parts you removed as professionally as possible.

Do this a few times and anyone can become a bench tech. It just takes a small time investment and some rudimentary tools.

A lot of us started this way, by experimentation with some guidance from someone with experience.

As with all things you absolutely get better with practice and a little patience.

#2929 3 years ago

Anyone connected a Stern shaker to their Woz?

#2930 3 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

I think this could be done, but I think you can just get all of the required parts from JJP if needed.

#2931 3 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

It would obviously be easier to use the correct one:

http://littleshopofgames.com/product/wizard-of-oz-shaker-motor-kit/

#2932 3 years ago

That picture is of a stern shaker. It says SPI. A stern shaker is 70 bucks cheaper.

#2933 3 years ago

Since w10 had the missing light and my munchkin pf need replacing I bought the full populated PF with the board so now I have a spare I can see if it's fixable. Well we'll see. I love addressable LEDs so this is kinda something I'm interested in seeing how they are engineered anyway.

#2934 3 years ago

How much did you have to pay for the playfield? JJP quoted me $150 for an unpopulated one.

#2935 3 years ago

It just takes care and a feel for the temperatures.

And the right tools and equipment.

#2936 3 years ago
Quoted from BowlingJim:

How much did you have to pay for the playfield? JJP quoted me $150 for an unpopulated one.

I seemed to remember seeing them somewhere around the 300 mark... can't remember exactly just felt it was pretty reasonable.

#2937 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

And the right tools and equipment.

That I'm definitely lacking. I just have an old clunky soldering iron that's good for wires connected to switches and coils. I need to make an investment and then start practicing and learning.

#2938 3 years ago

Sadly, I'll be departing this club shortly. It was a short journey but must say WOZ is one of the best games I've had the luxury of owning. Such a great ruleset to accompany the layout with an overall amazing package. I'll always enjoy playing it on location or whenever I come across one. But In the end, the theme is not something that was clicking with me in my very small 2-pin lineup. Luckily it is going to a nearby friend so I'll get to continue melting the witch and striving to beat recue mb

There aren't many games that come close to stacking a 4-5 ball rescue mb, then starting EC mb; then starting a crystal ball mode; then starting a munchkin mode; and sometimes starting haunted mb. Good times!

Peace out.

#2939 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Sadly, I'll be departing this club shortly. It was a short journey but must say WOZ is one of the best games I've had the luxury of owning. Such a great ruleset to accompany the layout with an overall amazing package. I'll always enjoy playing it on location or whenever I come across one. But In the end, the theme is not something that was clicking with me in my very small 2-pin lineup. Luckily it is going to a nearby friend so I'll get to continue melting the witch and striving to beat recue mb
There aren't many games that come close to stacking a 4-5 ball rescue mb, then starting EC mb; then starting a crystal ball mode; then starting a munchkin mode; and sometimes starting haunted mb. Good times!
Peace out.

Get TSPP. Seriously.

#2940 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Peace out.

Sorry to see you go. You always liven up the discussion. Maybe The Hobbit will be more up your alley. The rules there look amazing and equally deep.

#2941 3 years ago

i sure like some of the changes i am seeing in 6.06, ( had 5.05 previously) i like how the rainbow has a pink flash when u hit the goodwitch target and get a rainbow letter awarded, and the new animations during rescue are cool , i like how it tells you how many door hits to open the doors. the melt the witch isn't so flashy and blinding either.

#2942 3 years ago

Just installed the lighted winkie target from indypinhead and it's great! The game had the one from Mezel on it and literally broke within the first 15 games. It is a total piece of crap. I wouldn't bother buying one. The quality difference is really noticeable. Hope this helps someone.

#2943 3 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

Just installed the lighted winkie target from indypinhead and it's great! The game had the one from Mezel on it and literally broke within the first 15 games. It is a total piece of crap. I wouldn't bother buying one. The quality difference is really noticeable. Hope this helps someone.

Yes, it is great. Has anyone added a switch to this lamp so it's Off in the Down position?

#2944 3 years ago

Can someone look at their shaker and tell me if it has a capacitor installed from the motor to the frame?

#2945 3 years ago

The original Emerald City games didn't have the capacitor. It was added later in the run. Here's a pic from my RR with the factory installed cap. Call JJ for the specs on the cap.

cap (resized).jpg

#2946 3 years ago

My 1st 2 shakers that got replaced did not.
The 3rd shaker that works right does have it

#2947 3 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

My 1st 2 shakers that got replaced did not.
The 3rd shaker that works right does have it

What was the first to shaker motors doing that wasn't right?

#2948 3 years ago

Thanks everyone. I ordered the SAM shaker from pinballlife. I'll report back after I install it.

#2949 3 years ago
Quoted from audihere:

What was the first to shaker motors doing that wasn't right?

Blowing fuses I believe.

#2950 3 years ago

Yes, can not use a Shaker from jjp on my woz, fuses blowing.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 265.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 28.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
There are 9701 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 195.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside