20240314_215727 (resized).jpg
841FD4A1-7C8E-4E32-973D-DD8D05C4902E (resized).png
3D72BC84-0D17-44A1-B683-A17D4B722FF3 (resized).jpeg
WOZ lightboard 2 (resized).jpg
WOZ lightboard 1 (resized).jpg
20240309_110050 (resized).jpg
IMG_8924 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,273 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 306.
#1251 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Well, I'm glad its not just me. I've backhanded it with two balls on the right flipper, never with just one. Is that what you mean? During multiball?

That's really strange because I could never understand why people complained about the Away Team shot. It was challenging, but I made it a good percentage of the time. The HOADC shot is like 1 in 10 for me. I just lowered the flipper coil power a bit, so maybe that will help. How do you like the superbands on WOZ?

I probably would have kept Star Trek if the mode shots were easier. They were just way too risky and challenging.

As for supers, I LOVE them. However, I've installed them on every single game I've owned. I know they tend to provide a bit more control than rubbers, but I prefer that at home. And I don't like the process of maintaining rubbers (as silly as that sounds). Supers don't really need to be replaced. So my regular maintenance on woz will be a simple wipe down and/or waxing and replace balls.

#1252 8 years ago

I really dislike the way the ball bounces with Superbands and the way they grip the ball as it transitions from the in lane. I like the Titan silicone bands better. They are easier to put on, can also be cleaned and have a truer bounce.

#1253 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I really dislike the way the ball bounces with Superbands and the way they grip the ball as it transitions from the in lane. I like the Titan silicone bands better. They are easier to put on, can also be cleaned and have a truer bounce.

I have all 4 types on various games, some games have a mix of different bands. I think it's mostly preference.

But... I'm leaning toward pinball life's bands more now, they feel so much better than Titans, and not so rock hard as super bands, easy to clean, easy to install

#1254 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I have all 4 types on various games, some games have a mix of different bands. I think it's mostly preference.
But... I'm leaning toward pinball life's bands more now, they feel so much better than Titans, and not so rock hard as super bands, easy to clean, easy to install

Good to know. Haven't tried Pinball Life's flipper bands yet, I'll have to give them a shot.

#1255 8 years ago

OK - questions!

I get a ball stuck issue right here on about 50% of my soft plunges. I have NO idea how as there's nothing to catch on. Anyone else?

20160329_072318_(resized).jpg20160329_072318_(resized).jpg

My Flying Monkey trap doesn't "work as intended" like 90% of the time. The monkey catches the ball (yay!) and drops it behind the door where it immediately rolls off and falls back onto the playfield. Anyone know how to adjust this? Do I need to make the monkey hide further behind the door (if so, I have no clue how to)?

20160329_072329_(resized).jpg20160329_072329_(resized).jpg

Also, some one the JJP Google Group responded to my Tree Pop issue:

"The bracket that the pop ring bolts to was hitting the slide rail that is attached to the inside of the cabinet. I had to cut back the edge of that pop ring bracket a little to get it to clear the rail. All is well now."

I responded by asking him to maybe snap a picture, but in case he doesn't...Can anyone help me interpret what this means? I'm not entirely sure what ring/bracket/assembly needs cutting back.

E: Pardon the dust and tough to view picture. I get wood dust on my playfield EVERY SINGLE TIME I lower the playfield since the side rails appear to be scraping the edge of the playfield. I really hope that doesn't lead to an issue later...

#1256 8 years ago

I can't weigh in on everything, but I wander if there is some residual magnetism in the ball getting stuck issue when you soft plunge

#1257 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I can't weigh in on everything, but I wander if there is some residual magnetism in the ball getting stuck issue when you soft plunge

Should I be using my Pinball Life balls? I just assumed the balls that came with WOZ were "decent" and not like Stern balls.

#1258 8 years ago

The pinballs that ship with WOZ are fine. I've heard of others having this problem but don't remember the solution. I suggest asking Lloyd (click on the DEAR LLOYD section on the main forum page, upper right). He is the JJP service guy and can help with all your issues.

#1259 8 years ago

I'm not sure it this is what is being talked about but the balls can become magnetized and won't drop from the monkey. A piece on electrical tape on the monkey magnet will fix this.

#1260 8 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

I'm not sure it this is what is being talked about but the balls can become magnetized and won't drop from the monkey. A piece on electrical tape on the monkey magnet will fix this.

I think he is talking about the ball rolling off the upper playfield and onto the lower playfield after the monkey drops it.

Good suggestion about the electrical tape. I just hit the flipper button to make the ball drop on the rare occasion the magnet doesn't release it.

#1261 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I think he is talking about the ball rolling off the upper playfield and onto the lower playfield after the monkey drops it.
Good suggestion about the electrical tape. I just hit the flipper button to make the ball drop on the rare occasion the magnet doesn't release it.

Yeah - the monkey drops the ball fine, but it almost always drops into that little cove and bounces right back onto the playfield.

The magnetizing was speculation as to why the ball is getting caught in the image shown. It doesn't really make sense, but I guess the balls could become magnetized after less than 50 plays?

#1262 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Yeah - the monkey drops the ball fine, but it almost always drops into that little cove and bounces right back onto the playfield.
The magnetizing was speculation as to why the ball is getting caught in the image shown. It doesn't really make sense, but I guess the balls could become magnetized after less than 50 plays?

I think there is a mylar protector in that area that a slow moving ball can get hung up on. I haven't had an issue with my machine but I have it set up pretty steep. I've heard of the issue before and I'm sure Lloyd knows the cause and solution.

#1263 8 years ago

Played a few games just now. Looks like the monkey is picking up the ball a bit off center, and that's what's causing the ball to drop off the playfield.

#1264 8 years ago

The way I understand it the monkey picks up the ball and deposits it in the correct place but the correct place isn't holding it. My WOZ is 120 miles away now but the way i remember the monkey releases the ball by cutting off the upper magnet. A lower magnet should activate to "catch" the ball. It sounds like your lower magnet is not activating. Mine did this because a screw on one of the monkey switches came out so make sure each of the upper and lower monkey switches have 2 screws in each. My whole switch would pivot causing the sequence to malfunction. Otherwise check with Frank or Loyd.

#1265 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

I get a ball stuck issue right here on about 50% of my soft plunges. I have NO idea how as there's nothing to catch on. Anyone else?

Yes, I get that too, but not 50% of the time; just once in a while. It baffled me as well. Perhaps the balls are slightly magnetized. I bought some of the pinball life ultraglossy ones but haven't swapped them out yet. Usually, a stiff slap on the side of the cabinet does the trick.

Quoted from wtatumjr:

The way I understand it the monkey picks up the ball and deposits it in the correct place but the correct place isn't holding it. My WOZ is 120 miles away now but the way i remember the monkey releases the ball by cutting off the upper magnet. A lower magnet should activate to "catch" the ball. It sounds like your lower magnet is not activating. Mine did this because a screw on one of the monkey switches came out so make sure each of the upper and lower monkey switches have 2 screws in each. My whole switch would pivot causing the sequence to malfunction. Otherwise check with Frank or Loyd.

I'm not sure there is a lower magnet. At least I couldn't see one on mine. There is what appears to be a small rubber lip that would hold the ball and prevent it from falling onto the playfield. If the ball is not centered on the monkey, or if the monkey lets it go a split second too soon, I can see it falling. Isn't there a switch adjustment to make sure the monkey is fully retracted behind the castle doors, or am I making that up?

#1266 8 years ago

"I get a ball stuck issue right here on about 50% of my soft plunges. I have NO idea how as there's nothing to catch on. Anyone else?"

Rarel,y but every once in a while I've had a ball get stuck there and just nudge the machine. Would love to know if there's another fix/solution.

#1267 8 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

There is no lower magnet. If you look at the edge of the upper playfield behind the door, (if you are looking at the machine from the front, it would be on the right side behind the right door) there should be a thin rubber strip stuck there, kind of like a speed bump. The monkey drops the ball behind the door, and the speed bump should keep the ball from rolling back onto the field once the Monkey lets go of it. I'm on the road, or I would send pics. Either you are missing the rubber strip.....and in that case just use a piece of stick on weatherstrip from any hardware store. Or more likely the monkey is not going up far enough and you may have to adjust the switch. He is probably dropping the ball on top of the rubber strip. The monkey should go all of the way up and hide behind the door. It should drop the ball well behind the door and past the speed bump. Take the glass off and go to the diagnostic menu and run the monkey mech....watch closely where it stops when it gets to the top. If it needs adjusted, there are 2 possible things. 1...the upper switch is loose. You will need to pull the monkey mech from the back (very easy to do) and tighten the screws on the micro switch. If the switch is tight, you can adjust the actuating lever on the switch by bending it so the monkey has to go a bit higher before it activated the switch. But as I said, look at the edge behind the door first, to make sure the rubber strip is there and where the monkey would be dropping the ball.

I circled the area for the rubber strip....sorry I made the line so small. I swear it was bigger on my screen......lol

JJP_WOZ2_(resized).jpgJJP_WOZ2_(resized).jpg

#1268 8 years ago

Haven't read through this tread for a while so it was asked a few pages back but IMO a Cliffy protector along the edge above the rainbow letters is a must before playing as I have had to replace the upper playfield due to air balls chipping it.

#1269 8 years ago

In regards to the ball falling back onto the lpwer playfield...
My game has a small piece of rubber on the inside of that piece of metal the ball is suppose to stay behind on the upper playfield. It was factory and seems to help deaden ball bounces. I'd also make sure your home switch for the monkey is activating at the proper time. If your switch is activating too early it would prematurely release the ball.

I'll get a rare stuck ball in that spot under the house as well, quick nudge releases it. My game is steep so maybe adding a little pitch would help. That angle of the ball guide should have been a little more sloped.

#1270 8 years ago

Sorry people I was going from memory. It sounds like the upper monkey switch.
It will probably show good in the switch test but you might need to adjust it. See about a missing screw as well

#1271 8 years ago

How do I adjust the home location of the monkey?

Moving away from issues....Having some amazing games tonight (well, amazing for me). Broke 400k a few times, so I'll chalk that up to success. Have been close to starting melt the witch, but starting Rescue MB is still confusing me. I haven't managed to do it yet. I don't fully understand how to.

What really blows me away is that melting the witch is only one of the major goals in the game. Makes me realize how deep this game really is, haha.

#1272 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

How do I adjust the home location of the monkey?
starting Rescue MB is still confusing me. I haven't managed to do it yet. I don't fully understand how to.

You have to do three things. The first two can be in any order but the third has to be after both 1 and 2.
1. Capture Dorothy (i.e. lock a ball via the flying monkey)
2. spell RESCUE on the upper playfield*
3. break down the door on the upper playfield (3 hits) and then get the ball in the saucer.

*Note: If you fully spell RESCUE and have Dorothy captured but then get another mini-loop you'll have to respell rescue again before you can start the multiball (this is how you add balls to Rescue Multiball). You'll know you've done this b/c if you put a ball behind the castle doors you'll just be awarded RESCUE letters rather than starting the Rescue Multiball.

#1273 8 years ago

Make sure the switch is firmly attached first. You'll see a metal tab extending from the upper and lower switch. The monkey presses against the tab which
In turn presses the switch. You need to bend the upper switch away from the monkey so monkey must travel further to activate the switch

#1274 8 years ago

For the monkey rollback someone suggested a little bit of weather stripping adhesive foam right there to "wall in" the ball better. I did that and haven't had a problem since.

#1275 8 years ago

Need a little help on gameplay too

I've been getting to fireball frenzy and have no idea where to shoot, it seems I shoot for the blinking lights and I complete the shot, but nothing happens to award the shot??

How do I complete FF?

#1276 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

but starting Rescue MB is still confusing me. I haven't managed to do it yet. I don't fully understand how to.

Your inability to capture the ball because of the monkey switch is likely preventing you from starting Rescue MB. Fix that problem, and you'll have more success. It is one of the harder modes to start for me, but I've done it a number of times. Made it to the witch battle a few times as well, but still haven't melted her. Really fun game! Still trying to figure out everything myself.

#1277 8 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Need a little help on gameplay too
I've been getting to fireball frenzy and have no idea where to shoot, it seems I shoot for the blinking lights and I complete the shot, but nothing happens to award the shot??
How do I complete FF?

I believe you have to shoot for the blue shot which moves around. Hitting the flashing red shots causes the witch to shoot a fireball at you. Three fireballs and you are out. So you want to avoid those shots. At least, I believe that is right. . . .

#1278 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Your inability to capture the ball because of the monkey switch is likely preventing you from starting Rescue MB. Fix that problem, and you'll have more success. It is one of the harder modes to start for me, but I've done it a number of times. Made it to the witch battle a few times as well, but still haven't melted her. Really fun game! Still trying to figure out everything myself.

Capture isn't the issue - it just rolls off once it gets behind the door. I've had the ball capture many times. Just haven't gotten the multiball started. I must have been messing up the order and locking additional balls.

I need to review the rules on knocking the door down, hitting the letters, and hitting the loop.

#1279 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I believe you have to shoot for the blue shot which moves around. Hitting the flashing red shots causes the witch to shoot a fireball at you. Three fireballs and you are out. So you want to avoid those shots. At least, I believe that is right. . . .

Also, if you don't like where the blue shot is, hit the witch to move it to an easier shot.

#1280 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Also, if you don't like where the blue shot is, hit the witch to move it to an easier shot.

Thanks guys... I'm off to see the wizard!

(Groaning from the onlookers)

#1281 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Capture isn't the issue - it just rolls off once it gets behind the door. I've had the ball capture many times. Just haven't gotten the multiball started. I must have been messing up the order and locking additional balls.
I need to review the rules on knocking the door down, hitting the letters, and hitting the loop.

Another option instead of having to hit the targets to spell rescue. Bash the doors with the ball until it opens, then hit the saucer. Each time you hit it gives you a letter of "rescue". For me this is easier.

#1282 8 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Each time you hit it gives you a letter of "rescue". For me this is easier.

Actually, it gives you two letters, though this may be a setting. Hitting the "search" loop also gives you a letter until they are all collected, then it gives you a virtual locked ball and resets the letters.

#1283 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

This happens to me all the time! Not sure what it is getting stuck on. Anyone have the answer?

#1284 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Actually, it gives you two letters, though this may be a setting. Hitting the "search" loop also gives you a letter until they are all collected, then if give you a virtual locked ball and resets the letters.

I didnt realize it gave you two, even better! (if there is a setting mine is stock, so i assume you are correct)

#1285 8 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

I didnt realize it gave you two, even better! (if there is a setting mine is stock, so i assume you are correct)

Pretty sure that's a setting. Mine gives one.

#1286 8 years ago

I have never had that ball stuck spot. Sorry.

#1287 8 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I have never had that ball stuck spot. Sorry.

I have, it's really rare for me, but it does occur... I have to slap and almost tilt the machine to get it out

#1288 8 years ago

I have SO many wonderful things to say about this game from a game play and rules standpoint, but I'm still putting them together for my review.

Until then, I need someone to weigh in on this...I've felt the clear, and it's not chipped. It looks like a bubble UNDER the clear. Should I be worried?

20160331_173914_(resized).jpg20160331_173914_(resized).jpg

#1289 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

I have SO many wonderful things to say about this game from a game play and rules standpoint, but I'm still putting them together for my review.
Until then, I need someone to weigh in on this...I've felt the clear, and it's not chipped. It looks like a bubble UNDER the clear. Should I be worried?
20160331_173914_(resized).jpg

Where are we looking? There is a piece of Mylar in front of the wizard saucer. Maybe you mean that?

#1290 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

20160331_173914_(resized).jpg

There is a piece of mylar in front of the Throne room VUK.

#1291 8 years ago

Arrow pointing to what looks like clear starting to chip.20160331_173914_(resized).jpg20160331_173914_(resized).jpg

E: I just had tried to shoot the Rescue loop. The ball hit the rubber and bounced off the playfield and into the underside of the cabinet. Uh...What? Anyone have this happen before?

E2: I'm going to remove the little U shaped ball guide and bring it to work tomorrow. I'll have the guys in our fab shop weld a small piece of steel across the top so that the ball can't jump out. Problem solved.

I also found the culprit on my pop bumper issue! Gonna bring that into work as well and let them take a grinder to it.

20160331_191137_(resized).jpg20160331_191137_(resized).jpg

#1292 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Arrow pointing to what looks like clear starting to chip.20160331_173914_(resized).jpg
E: I just had tried to shoot the Rescue loop. The ball hit the rubber and bounced off the playfield and into the underside of the cabinet. Uh...What? Anyone have this happen before?

Never happened to me and I haven't heard anyone discuss it before. Initial thought is you have your flipper coil setting too high.

#1293 8 years ago
Quoted from Pindufus:

Never happened to me and I haven't heard anyone discuss it before. Initial thought is you have your flipper coil setting too high.

Or the wire guide is too low...gently bend it up so it is higher. Never heard of an air ball like that!

#1294 8 years ago

What power should that flipper be at? Less than default?

#1295 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

What power should that flipper be at? Less than default?

Default should be fine and I've never seen that happen either. Pimp77 may have the answer. You needed to bend the outer wire up on early WOZ's to keep the ball from bouncing around and getting rejected in the search loop.

#1296 8 years ago

For the throne room, get the Cliffy protector.

#1297 8 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

For the throne room, get the Cliffy protector.

Yes it should cover that no problem.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#1298 8 years ago

nice throne room shroud, (acrylic cover)

#1299 8 years ago

It ain't pretty, but it will prevent any and all air balls back there! Had a 1x1 piece of steel welded where the ball jumped out last time.

20160401_121225_(resized).jpg20160401_121225_(resized).jpg

I noticed that the RESCUE targets don't register unless they take a strong hit. How do I adjust the leaf switches correctly to make them slightly more sensitive? I've got a tool, but I've never had to use it.

Also, had the plastic and metal "clips" that nut to the pop bumper legs shaved down. Everything seemed to go in fine with no hangups. Also ordered the additional protectors for the VUK and saucers. Figured it would be safe to put at least the Throne Room one on to make sure I don't get cracking.

#1300 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

I noticed that the RESCUE targets don't register unless they take a strong hit.

I have had two different castle playfields and they both have been like that. It has been pretty hard for me to change the sensitivity. I found it easiest to bash down the doors and shoot the rescue loop to spot letters.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Tuscaloosa, AL
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 91.00
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 24.50
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
There are 15,273 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 306.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-fan-club-members-only/page/26?hl=ball_shine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.