767a905f-f768-44f4-b3e3-b2998967ff3c_text.gif
Photo Mar 30 2024, 5 42 30 PM (resized).jpg
20240316_125739 (resized).jpg
20240314_221748 (resized).jpg
20240314_215727 (resized).jpg
841FD4A1-7C8E-4E32-973D-DD8D05C4902E (resized).png
3D72BC84-0D17-44A1-B683-A17D4B722FF3 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,286 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 306.
#1151 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

That's how they all work that I've played. It's a tight shot.

Wow, that's a tough shot with a lot of risk to have it be rejected so often when you seemingly nailed it. Any tips for when and how to get the crystal ball shot?

#1152 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Wow, that's a tough shot with a lot of risk to have it be rejected so often when you seemingly nailed it. Any tips for when and how to get the crystal ball shot?

I usually get it from a cradled right flipper.

#1153 8 years ago

Got the penalty more making the crystal ball shot too consecutively. It was the last triple jackpot I needed to co plebe for Rescue MB. Hit the first with the right flipper and next two with left, BAM!! no hold flippers leading to drains. Love the game, hate that rule.

#1154 8 years ago

NSFW!!! NSFW!!

Highlight of the game I received the no hold flippers penalty on. Game shouldn't have given me the penalty and it killed off a great game(by my standards.)

I do use some choice words during the game so NSFW!

https://secure.twitch.tv/richmondpinball/v/55760275

#1155 8 years ago

What's the exact situation? 3 consecutive crystal ball jackpots with no other switch hits will cause that to happen? How long is that penalty for?

Also, is that a WoZ Standard in your video?

#1156 8 years ago

Hardly much of a penalty. Its not hard to play without trapping the ball. I do it all the time.

#1157 8 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

Hardly much of a penalty. Its not hard to play without trapping the ball. I do it all the time.

I Like to play in control. Getting no hold flippers when you're about to start MTW sucks.

Quoted from nicoga3000:

What's the exact situation? 3 consecutive crystal ball jackpots with no other switch hits will cause that to happen? How long is that penalty for?
Also, is that a WoZ Standard in your video?

3 consecutive CB hits without hitting any switch, other than islands which don't seem to reset the penalty.

It is a standard.

#1158 8 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I Like to play in control. Getting no hold flippers when you're about to start MTW sucks.

3 consecutive CB hits without hitting any switch, other than islands which don't seem to reset the penalty.
It is a standard.

How long does the penalty last?

And thanks - probably ordering a Standard tomorrow. Pretty stoked!

#1159 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

How long does the penalty last?
And thanks - probably ordering a Standard tomorrow. Pretty stoked!

Penalty last for the rest of your ball. In my case that was ball 3 with Melt the Witch qualified as soon as the MB ended which is one reason I was so pissed.

You won't be disappointed, it's an amazing game.

#1160 8 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Penalty last for the rest of your ball. In my case that was ball 3 with Melt the Witch qualified as soon as the MB ended which is one reason I was so pissed.
You won't be disappointed, it's an amazing game.

Rest of that ball?! That's a bit much. 30-60 seconds would be "fair", but anything more is unnecessary to me. How long has that been in the code?

#1161 8 years ago

OK - WoZ has been ordered. It was built within the past 6 months, so all of the lightboard issues should be resolved. NIB, so I have the JJP warranty if I need it.

Are there any specific "out of box" tweaks to be aware of? Re-read the posts by Nokoro to get an idea of potential hiccups I may have, but other than that...The Cliffy set is about the only thing I need to grab for HUO play, right?

#1162 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

OK - WoZ has been ordered. It was built within the past 6 months, so all of the lightboard issues should be resolved. NIB, so I have the JJP warranty if I need it.
Are there any specific "out of box" tweaks to be aware of? Re-read the posts by Nokoro to get an idea of potential hiccups I may have, but other than that...The Cliffy set is about the only thing I need to grab for HUO play, right?

You'll want plastic protectors out of the gate as well.

#1163 8 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Thanks. Any info on where I can pick them up? Pinbits seems to be out of them.

#1164 8 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I sell a 15 piece protector set. CNC machined, 1/16 polycarbonate.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-pf-plastic-protectors-for-sale

#1165 8 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I sell a 15 piece protector set. CNC machined, 1/16 polycarbonate.

From this guy. ^^^^^

#1166 8 years ago

This may be covered somewhere, but what do you all do (if anything) to protect the flipper button area on your WOZ games? I have a RR that I would like to protect.

Thanks in advance

#1167 8 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

This may be covered somewhere, but what do you all do (if anything) to protect the flipper button area on your WOZ games? I have a RR that I would like to protect.
Thanks in advance

Theoretically, no flipper wear should occur as the cabinets are clear coated. I had some of the non-permanent mylar lying around and used that around my flippers just in case.

#1168 8 years ago
Quoted from Pindufus:

Theoretically, no flipper wear should occur as the cabinets are clear coated. I had some of the non-permanent mylar lying around and used that around my flippers just in case.

Only the ECLE and some of the 1st standards off the line are direct print/clear coated cabinets. The rest of the WOZ pins have decals installed.

#1169 8 years ago

[edit: never mind, i can't read]

#1170 8 years ago

Is there a link to the most recent rules? I want to start understanding how to actually PLAY this game.

#1171 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Is there a link to the most recent rules? I want to start understanding how to actually PLAY this game.

Good place to start... http://papa.org/2015/05/18/wizard-of-oz-rulesheet/

I stream a lot of WOZ on Twitch if you are interested. It's usually just me getting frustrated but if you ask about rules or anything I take the time to explain what is going on.

https://www.twitch.tv/richmondpinball/profile

#1172 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Congrats! I'm loving mine.

I did have a fair number of tweaks and issues out of the box. It worked, just had some loose bolts and switches that needed to be adjusted. It was hard to figure out some of the issues since I had only played on location before and wasn't entirely sure what was normal behavior. My advice: after you play those first 3-4 mandatory games and want to take a rest, go into switch test mode and make sure no switches are closed that shouldn't be. Tap around the playfield to see if any close by vibration such that you would have to adjust the gap. Etc. You'll also be rewarded with a beautiful switch matrix display which will have you wondering how you ever put up with the Stern DMD one.

Also, as I have been playing, I've noticed a few things. For example, soft hits on the castle targets don't register hits on my machine. I increased the castle flipper power, and that seems to have helped. The wonderful thing is that, unlike Stern games, almost everything is adjustable. Despite the few issues I've had, I'm really impressed with the technology that JJP developed. Enjoy!

#1173 8 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Good place to start... http://papa.org/2015/05/18/wizard-of-oz-rulesheet/
I stream a lot of WOZ on Twitch if you are interested. It's usually just me getting frustrated but if you ask about rules or anything I take the time to explain what is going on.
https://www.twitch.tv/richmondpinball/profile

Thanks. Although, those are super old rules. How much has changed in that regard?

Also, I keep seeing info on the game not being bright enough. Is this a problem folks have solved without a $130 kit? Seems like there's got to be an easier/cheaper fix?

#1174 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Also, I keep seeing info on the game not being bright enough. Is this a problem folks have solved without a $130 kit? Seems like there's got to be an easier/cheaper fix?

I added spots, but off on the sides. I did not care for them on the slings.

spot_lamps_010_(resized).JPGspot_lamps_010_(resized).JPG

spot_lamps_008_(resized).JPGspot_lamps_008_(resized).JPG

spot_lamps_012_(resized).JPGspot_lamps_012_(resized).JPG

#1175 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Try this. It's pretty good.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=forums&srcid=MTU0ODExODIwMDY3MjI1OTYwMzMBMTU1NjY4NDI2ODYwNzEwNTc4OTgBZUlxQmNlVWpDUUFKATAuMQEBdjI&authuser=0

#1176 8 years ago

Hmm...No luck. Tells me "preview unavailable" and I can't see anything.

Quoted from JIM_Z:

This looks great. I've never installed spots before - is there any good tutorial on how to go about this and what I can tie into?

Also, I was going to order the Castle Walls and the Witches Well. I see a few comments regarding the fit on Well. Should I be concerned? And this is a silly question...But I ordered a standard, but would love to do the trim/legs/hinges in color one day. Is that possible?

#1178 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

The most recent rules (based on software 6.06) are available at any of these links:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-rulesheet-2#post-3013858 (higher resolution, same doc linked to by Pindufus above)
http://papa.org/wp-content/uploads/WOZ-Rulesheet-Version-1-26.pdf (lower resolution)
and also on the jjp google group

Scott

PS. I'm always happy to improve this if anyone has suggestions, corrections, or additional detail.

#1179 8 years ago

Thanks mate - will start reading it later tonight!

I ordered a bunch of mods. 4 spotlights, State Fair Balloon, Castle and Witch Walls, Winkle target. That should keep me busy. I also ordered some superbands because I like them. They're tough to put on normal flippers...Do the slippers make it even harder?

Also, gotta say thanks to TaylorVA as your videos are the most recent and fully featured example of WOZ online I can find. Which got me thinking...Why does this game not show up in tourney play more?

#1180 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Thanks mate - will start reading it later tonight!
I ordered a bunch of mods. 4 spotlights, State Fair Balloon, Castle and Witch Walls, Winkle target. That should keep me busy. I also ordered some superbands because I like them. They're tough to put on normal flippers...Do the slippers make it even harder?
Also, gotta say thanks to TaylorVA as your videos are the most recent and fully featured example of WOZ online I can find. Which got me thinking...Why does this game not show up in tourney play more?

My pleasure. I enjoy sharing the game and love the rules, well most of them.

It was at Pinburgh last year and I believe PAPA so it is definitely getting out there.

#1181 8 years ago

Is the full set of Cliffy's "required" on this game? I'm getting the Munchkin Land one, but not sure about the rest. I'm skipping the magnet and rollover ones because they really make the playfield look tacky. But the holes...Yay/nay?

#1182 8 years ago

My ceilings are too low in the basement to put my 75th anniversary topper on. I'm thinking about trying to mount it to the wall. Has anyone done that or anything else with the topper?

#1183 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Is the full set of Cliffy's "required" on this game? I'm getting the Munchkin Land one, but not sure about the rest. I'm skipping the magnet and rollover ones because they really make the playfield look tacky. But the holes...Yay/nay?

I put the ones on the holes and the Munchkin land, and I am also with you on the rollover and magnets.....I just kept those for a later date. I will say the guard behind the winkie target is not for the timid, and takes a little bit of work to get into place. In all honesty, if I had it to do over again, I think I would just do the Munchkinland and forget the rest. Not sure they do much good.

#1184 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Nay.

#1185 8 years ago

I bought the munchkinland cliffy but no others. Now, I just have to build up the courage to install it. . . .

#1186 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I bought the munchkinland cliffy but no others. Now, I just have to build up the courage to install it. . . .

Holy crap...I just read the installation guide.

#1187 8 years ago

Yeah, the drilling into my brand new machine part is the part that really scares me.

#1188 8 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Yeah, the drilling into my brand new machine part is the part that really scares me.

Don't worry...it's easy.

#1189 8 years ago

I've installed Eli's TRON mod and service rails on a Pro before, so drilling into parts isn't something I'm too concerned with. But just taking the mini playfield out of this game looks like a beast. I will have to just make it happen at some point.

Game arrives tomorrow! Hopefully going to have a few friends over to unbox and play it. I need to figure out how I'm going to get it upstairs to my loft, though. Little worried about that, ha.

#1190 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

I've installed Eli's TRON mod and service rails on a Pro before, so drilling into parts isn't something I'm too concerned with. But just taking the mini playfield out of this game looks like a beast. I will have to just make it happen at some point.
Game arrives tomorrow! Hopefully going to have a few friends over to unbox and play it. I need to figure out how I'm going to get it upstairs to my loft, though. Little worried about that, ha.

Don't worry about installing the protectors. It's not too hard. Even a Pindufus can do it.

I rented a mechanical stair lift dolly and got it up my staircase with no problem. Without that, it probably would have taken three men and a mule to get it up the stairs. It's heavy!

#1191 8 years ago
Quoted from Pindufus:

Don't worry about installing the protectors. It's not too hard. Even a Pindufus can do it.
I rented a mechanical stair lift dolly and got it up my staircase with no problem. Without that, it probably would have taken three men and a mule to get it up the stairs. It's heavy!

Yes, I will agree these games are solid and very heavy....but I probably wouldn't have it any other way. Removing the Munchkinland playfield really isn't that bad. Removing the mounting screws is very easy...it is just the wiring that is intimidating. Just take your time and note where every plug goes. The removal and installation is less than 15 minutes on either side. The drilling is very easy and quick....just make sure you put tape or some other depth gage on the bit so you don't drill through the playfield. I use a piece of plastic tubing over the bit to limit how deep it can drill. Trust me, the Winkie target hole protector was MUCH harder and time consuming to install.

#1192 8 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

I put the ones on the holes and the Munchkin land, and I am also with you on the rollover and magnets.....I just kept those for a later date. I will say the guard behind the winkie target is not for the timid, and takes a little bit of work to get into place. In all honesty, if I had it to do over again, I think I would just do the Munchkinland and forget the rest. Not sure they do much good.

I bought mine with Cliffy's installed except the Munchkinland, which I painted emerald green adn the installed per somone's suggestion on another thread. Since the VUK's do get a lot of play with steel hitting wood I'm glad they're on there. I think at minimal protecting the Munchkinland playfield wood with a protector is the absolute least to do.

#1193 8 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Yes, I will agree these games are solid and very heavy....but I probably wouldn't have it any other way. Removing the Munchkinland playfield really isn't that bad. Removing the mounting screws is very easy...it is just the wiring that is intimidating. Just take your time and note where every plug goes. The removal and installation is less than 15 minutes on either side. The drilling is very easy and quick....just make sure you put tape or some other depth gage on the bit so you don't drill through the playfield. I use a piece of plastic tubing over the bit to limit how deep it can drill. Trust me, the Winkie target hole protector was MUCH harder and time consuming to install.

Read in the manual carefully which wires to take out, i.e, don't tkae out more than needed or miss taking out ones you need to as it's a pain to go back with the playfield up at that point as you'r working on it. Be very careful as it's possible to pull the tiny wires out the cables on some of them (ask me how I know!) and that could require needing a new cable. Also I write with a sharpie the locations of what goes where so it makes it easy to remember how to reinstall the wires. However that's really not necessary but optional.

#1194 8 years ago

Congrats on your new WOZ! I liked mine from the very first time I played it and even more now. It's definitely a keeper.

#1195 8 years ago

Where did you wire these spots into the game for power? I'm considering doing this. Doesn't Woz run on some sort of different voltage?

Quoted from JIM_Z:

spot_lamps_010_(resized).JPGspot_lamps_008_(resized).JPGspot_lamps_012_(resized).JPG

#1196 8 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Where did you wire these spots into the game for power? I'm considering doing this. Doesn't Woz run on some sort of different voltage?

I'd love to know this as well. I was intending on alligator clipping to some GI, but I'd love to know exactly how he did it.

Also, got the call that my WoZ will be delivered today! I'll be getting a delivery call ~1 hour prior to the game arriving. Can't wait!

#1197 8 years ago

You're gonna love it! Amazing piece of work

#1198 8 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

You can connect to the existing spotlights in WOZ, but you have to use 12 volt LEDs.

#1199 8 years ago

Spots are tied into the existing spots. All parts purchased from JJP, 12 volt LEDs came with the spots.

#1200 8 years ago
Quoted from JIM_Z:

All parts purchased from JJP

How did you order these parts from them? It doesn't show for sale on their website? Do you have to contact them direct?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
13,000 (OBO)
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 91.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 15,286 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 306.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-fan-club-members-only/page/24?hl=goren1818 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.