767a905f-f768-44f4-b3e3-b2998967ff3c_text.gif
Photo Mar 30 2024, 5 42 30 PM (resized).jpg
20240316_125739 (resized).jpg
20240314_221748 (resized).jpg
20240314_215727 (resized).jpg
841FD4A1-7C8E-4E32-973D-DD8D05C4902E (resized).png
3D72BC84-0D17-44A1-B683-A17D4B722FF3 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,286 posts in this topic. You are on page 225 of 306.
#11201 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

I think I'm as close the the wood as possible. Hopefully, there is still some room to adjust. If not, bend the plate tab more?

Don't play with the plate. It takes hours to get it right.

#11202 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

Anyone install the illuminated Winkie target mod? Like it? Worth installing?

I have and like it lots. Keep in mind it’s very bright.

See it a little here:

#11203 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

Navystan, reporting back to duty...
Castle Door Journey
- Been working the door issues for the past few weeks.
Background
- When I first got the machine, it seemed to be working, but noticed the right door stayed open occasionally.
- Other Pinsiders suggested the common issues be looked at. 1) set screws not tight enough; 2) latch needed adjustment; 3) weak or bad right motor.
- When I took off the first time, I had to add a 2-wire/pin Molex. Apparently, the older Woz machines didn't have this Molex connector.
- Upon examining the right door, I added new set screws, the Allen head style to permit easier tightening. After reassembling, the right door stopped working. So, the door actually got worse. Don't know if it was coincidence, or if was just binding more, or motor power was getting worse.
- I ordered 4 new motors from JJP and all did not have capacitors installed.
Saturday Work day
- I spent about 4 hours working on the castle doors.
- Since I have now taken the castle playfield off so many times, I now can remove in less than 10 minutes.
- I removed the door assembly from the the castle playfield for the first time. Took off doors first and discovered the common problem of the bottom right screw was worn away. Luckily, I was able to get a small vise wrench around the screw to loosen and remove. (see pictures)
- I removed the right motor only since I didn't want to change out left motor until I have new capacitors. Had a little problem "melting" solder from the lugs. Don't know if my soldering unit is going bad, since in the past it worked pretty solidly. So, I had to cut away existing wire from the motor terminals. I also could not "melt" the solder along side the motor for the capacitor, so I had to cut that off as well. Barely had enough room to resolder back to the new motor.
- While I had the motor off the assembly, a friend recommend I test with a 9 volt battery. I tried to test with a 9 volt battery while still attached the the castle playfield, but neither left or right door would move with the battery (yes, I moved latch away). However, once the motor was off the mechanism, the battery did successfully turn the motor on. The new motor seemed to sound louder (more power?) then the old one.
- While I had the assembly apart, I had a closer look at the plate that is located near the latch the holds the doors closed. As some had suggested, this plate bends over time causing the doors not to open. I did notice mine was slightly impacting the latch clearing from the tabs, so I pushed it in a little before putting back together.
- So, to summarize what I did before restarting the game, I replaced the right castle door motor, used the existing capacitors, and bent the metal plate that impacts the latch that it used to keep doors closed.
- After restarting the WoZ, I went to test mode, and tested opening and closing doors. Both doors opened when test buttons were used.
- After running test mode, went to game play. As soon as I hit the doors, the stayed partially open. I turned off game and noticed when I pushed the doors with my fingers, both doors pushed past the latch with minimal effort. So, bending the plate apparently was too much.
- I took off castle playfield and could clearly see how latch was barely holding doors from opening. I tweaked right door by lowering the door down (as you look from the top) by adjusting the set screws on the post. When I did this, it also helped the left door. It now seemed light pressure by hand did not permit the doors to push through the latch. So, I stopped here and didn't try to bend the metal plate like I did earlier.
- I retested and pressed on the doors by hand to see if the doors would push open past the latch. They seemed to be strong enough to resist light pressure by hand, so I went to test by game play.
- During gameplay, it was a lot better. However, occasionally, the right door still partially opened. It would either reset after hitting a few times or at the end of a ball leaving the mini playfield (game reset).
- One other oddity happened one time. I noticed the crystal ball came up with an error message. However, after restarting the game, it was back to normal. I did nothing more than just restart the game.
Conclusion/Questions
- I need the get these capacitors. (See pictures). I looked at Great Plains Electronics, but didn't see the number on his site. Anyone know where I can get these and what part# I should be looking for?
- For my final adjustment to right door, bend plate a little more? I'm not going to take off again until I get the new capacitors and will replace the one I just did and likely just go ahead and change left door motor as well.
- My soldering skills need a little work. I had a hard time getting solder to "stick" to the side of motor. Use some flux? I saw others file down to scuff, so maybe that's all I need to do.
- Thanks for everyone's help and tips on the castle doors. Pinside users are super for helping the community.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, nice write up. I am now hoping that I never have door issues after reading all of the recent posts.

#11204 3 years ago

Posted on old thread, but thought I would post here for others to find....

I followed your (pinballinreno) tip (thank you for all your tips and ideas for working the castle door issues). I lowered the castle playfield flipper power from 12 (normal) to 9. Still can make all the shots and it ensures the ball doesn't hit the doors too hard. In my case, the weight of the ball at normal power (12) was causing door to "jump" over the latch and cause right door to open partially. As you have said, the latch and doors seem to work best when doors are at different heights. But, I had already lowered the right door as far as possible without touching the wood. I will check the return spring to make sure it's not rubbing on the latch as others have suggested.

As a matter of fact, it might be good for most users to lower power to minimize the wear and tear on the doors and the systems that control the doors.

So, for now I'm finally 100% on the doors. Now I can add some of the standard mods.

#11205 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

Posted on old thread, but thought I would post here for others to find....
I followed your (pinballinreno) tip (thank you for all your tips and ideas for working the castle door issues). I lowered the castle playfield flipper power from 12 (normal) to 9. Still can make all the shots and it ensures the ball doesn't hit the doors too hard. In my case, the weight of the ball at normal power (12) was causing door to "jump" over the latch and cause right door to open partially. As you have said, the latch and doors seem to work best when doors are at different heights. But, I had already lowered the right door as far as possible without touching the wood. I will check the return spring to make sure it's not rubbing on the latch as others have suggested.
As a matter of fact, it might be good for most users to lower power to minimize the wear and tear on the doors and the systems that control the doors.
So, for now I'm finally 100% on the doors. Now I can add some of the standard mods.

My castle power is also at 9.

Good catch. I forgot about high power causing difficulties.

One last thing for games with a few thousand plays like mine:

The black rubber bumper strip inside the latch edge is prone to wear on the right side.

It actually wears at an angle and creates a "ramp" that allows the door stop to slip over the catch.

I just carefully scraped this rubber strip off with a tiny screwdriver, turned it 180 degrees to give it a fresh side, and glued it back on with a couple drops of 5 min epoxy.

This worked exceptionally well.

I have since ordered spares from JJP but the adhesive is so poor, i still epoxied it on.

If you have gone to all the trouble of rebuilding this mech, and got it working perfectly, its worth inspecting this last item.

#11206 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

The black rubber bumper strip inside the latch edge is prone to wear on the right side.
It actually wears at an angle and creates a "ramp" that allows the door stop to slip over the catch.
I just carefully scraped this rubber strip off with a tiny screwdriver, turned it 180 degrees to give it a fresh side, and glued it back on with a couple drops of 5 min epoxy.
I have since ordered spares from JJP but the adhesive is so poor, i still epoxied it on.
If you have gone to all the trouble of rebuilding this mech, and got it working perfectly, its worth inspecting this last item.

Super. Will check the rubber and fix if needed.

#11207 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I will have to order some then. Thanks!

These are good for WOZ spotlights:

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/opmax-12v

#11208 3 years ago

I just bought some 8SMD minis and 12V COB in sunlight before I saw this post. I dont wany them to be toobright, just bright enough to light up their respective playfields. Thanks for the suggestion!

#11209 3 years ago

So my witch doesn't move up or down. I go to investigate and it looks like I'm missing a shaft that goes into her back and down through the motor? I have no reference what it should be like working. What do I need to get her going again?

20200907_104852 (resized).jpg20200907_104852 (resized).jpg20200907_105145 (resized).jpg20200907_105145 (resized).jpg
#11210 3 years ago

Is it a threaded rod that should go there?

#11211 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

yes

#11212 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

So my witch doesn't move up or down. I go to investigate and it looks like I'm missing a shaft that goes into her back and down through the motor? I have no reference what it should be like working. What do I need to get her going again?
[quoted image][quoted image]

I’m a bit curious how you loose the shaft?? Did you just notice she wasn’t moving?

#11213 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

The shaft should be attached to the witch and can be pulled out of the motor I believe.

#11214 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I’m a bit curious how you loose the shaft?? Did you just notice she wasn’t moving?

My son was playing and he had the witch hurry up. I noticed that she was still hiding. I bought this second hand, so I reached out the the previous owner to see if they remember working on it.

So should it be threaded like the winged monkey mech?

#11215 3 years ago

The set screw is missing too, I wonder of it's in the bottom of the cabinet somewhere...

#11216 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

My son was playing and he had the witch hurry up. I noticed that she was still hiding. I bought this second hand, so I reached out the the previous owner to see if they remember working on it.
So should it be threaded like the winged monkey mech?

Not my post but check out the HH thread. He shows the assembly and disassembled process in a video. That should help you identify where the part is or if it’s missing. Good luck.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-woz-flaming-witch-with-realistic-fire-mod-development/page/4#post-5465552

#11217 3 years ago

I found the threaded rod and the set screw in the bottom of the cabinet. The base cracked and allowed the set screw to fall out. Hopefully a little epoxy will get her back together again.

#11218 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Not my post but check out the HH thread. He shows the assembly and disassembled process in a video. That should help you identify where the part is or if it’s missing. Good luck.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-of-oz-woz-flaming-witch-with-realistic-fire-mod-development/page/4#post-5465552

That is helpful. Thank you!

#11219 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

That is helpful. Thank you!

Put a little silicone grease on the threaded rod.

Same as the mokey rod.

#11220 3 years ago

Put a little silicone grease on the threaded rod.
Same as the mokey rod.

Did that with the monkey rod, since it was making noises and when I inspected it, it was a little gummed up.. The grease worked like a charm. I didnt do it with the witch rod since it didn't seem like that rod had grease on it.

#11221 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Did that with the monkey rod, since it was making noises and when I inspected it, it was a little gummed up.. The grease worked like a charm. I didnt do it with the witch rod since it didn't seem like that rod had grease on it.

Yeah, it too has to be greased.

#11222 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

Anyone install the illuminated Winkie target mod? Like it? Worth installing?

Yes, its awesome! I have the red one.

#11223 3 years ago

Whats up with all the broken castle door motors lately??

#11224 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Whats up with all the broken castle door motors lately??

I wondered that myself!

#11225 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I ordered a red one as well.

#11226 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I wondered that myself!

well, if you bang on the doors a few thousand times, it's bound to need some TLC. Plus, who doesn't like to tinker on their pinball machines. That's half the fun!

#11227 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

Wow, nice write up. I am now hoping that I never have door issues after reading all of the recent posts.

The right door motor will absolutely fail at some point.

I believe i called it a "weak" design, lol.

Its good to know that its not too bad to fix it, you just have to be aware of a couple things.

I think I covered most items in my thread about it.

#11228 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Where does the light tie into?

#11229 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

You get a splitter to tap power from the GI.

#11230 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

It taps into a nearby GI light.

Comet has nice adapters for their matrix line if you want to do it yourself.

You can get a translucent drop target now ftom Zitt.

Use the spare sticker from the goody bag.

Total price about $10

#11231 3 years ago

It taps into a nearby GI light.
Comet has nice adapters for their matrix line if you want to do it yourself.
You can get a translucent drop target now ftom Zitt.
Use the spare sticker from the goody bag.
Total price about $10

I was definitely thinking about doing a DIY light. I will have extra 12V bulbs from replacing/adding the spotlights to my game, so could easily tap off of the spotlight as well and mount a socket underneath. I know Pinball Life sells translucent drop targets that appear to be the same but I will see what Zitt has.

With that said, I might just keep it simple and go with another spotlight pointing towards that area. Will be cheaper and simpler

#11232 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I was definitely thinking about doing a DIY light. I will have extra 12V bulbs from replacing/adding the spotlights to my game, so could easily tap off of the spotlight as well and mount a socket underneath. I know Pinball Life sells translucent drop targets that appear to be the same but I will see what Zitt has.
With that said, I might just keep it simple and go with another spotlight pointing towards that area. Will be cheaper and simpler

1 long bayonet socket
1 12v GI tap/bulb connector from comet
1 12v 4smd, bayonet base, green or red led (it has to be bright)
1 translucent drop target, plus 1 spare in case it breaks
1 sticker, plus a spare for the replacement target.

So, not much to it really but, its an awesome mod!

#11233 3 years ago

Is that strip called double door stop pad?

#11234 3 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

Is that strip called double door stop pad?

yes, i believe so.

#11235 3 years ago

yes, i believe so.

Thank you sir!

#11236 3 years ago

Hey all,

Still possible to find these NIB?

Is it worth it?

I still only own two pins, AFMrLE and POTCce ... i would LOVE to make this a 3rd pin.
I STILL think it's the most beautiful pin ever produced...

Thnx!

#11237 3 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Go to jerseyjackpinball.com - check the distributor list. Start calling.

LTG : )

#11238 3 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Hey all,
Is it worth it?
I still only own two pins, AFMrLE and POTCce ... i would LOVE to make this a 3rd pin.
I STILL think it's the most beautiful pin ever produced...
Thnx!

I think you can, if you're into the YBR version. No monkey, but many other advantages (radcals, newer tech, etc). I still love that version, but ended up getting an ECLE instead due to cost.

#11239 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I think you can, if you're into the YBR version. No monkey, but many other advantages (radcals, newer tech, etc). I still love that version, but ended up getting an ECLE instead due to cost.

Hey man!

Yea. The newer tech is probably the biggest advantage and I like the yellow, but that price...

Good to know!

#11240 3 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I like the yellow

You have to see it in person. The yellow metal sparkles, glitter or something in it. The side rails, lockdown bar, art work on apron, and yellow brick road on the playfield. Looks pretty. Pictures don't do it justice.

#11241 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You have to see it in person. The yellow metal sparkles, glitter or something in it. The side rails, lockdown bar, art work on apron, and yellow brick road on the playfield. Looks pretty. Pictures don't do it justice.

I definitely agree with you. I wouldn't even know where to see it in person. Most everywhere just has 75th (red) or Emerald (green).

#11242 3 years ago

Thank god the monkey is missing or all of our Red & Greens would have lost $value.

#11243 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Thank god the monkey is missing or all of our Red & Greens would have lost $value.

Yea. I don’t care about that. It’s all well and good, but affects gameplay 0.

#11244 3 years ago

In need of some Help. Lowered the back box and ripped out a bunch of harnesses. I also removed power supply to reinstall pins thought I took good pictures
and no idea were the power supply wires go Below the silver box I reconnected the audio board. If anyone has pictures of the connectors I would appreciate it thanks,

#11245 3 years ago
Quoted from defonze88:

In need of some Help. Lowered the back box and ripped out a bunch of harnesses. I also removed power supply to reinstall pins thought I took good pictures
and no idea were the power supply wires go Below the silver box I reconnected the audio board. If anyone has pictures of the connectors I would appreciate it thanks,

What model is your WOZ? It will differ if it’s a YBR.

#11246 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

What model is your WOZ? It will differ if it’s a YBR.

It is a RR 2017 thanks,

#11247 3 years ago

Completed a slight mod, bad thing is emerald city gets covered more... if your interested it’s cheap to do. Little rolled cotton and a lighter to smooth the fuzz and add contour. Definitely adds another layer imho lol.

0AB094B3-7055-4F4F-BA6A-CEB4D98C92A8 (resized).jpeg0AB094B3-7055-4F4F-BA6A-CEB4D98C92A8 (resized).jpeg
#11248 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinforlife:

Completed a slight mod, bad thing is emerald city gets covered more... if your interested it’s cheap to do. Little rolled cotton and a lighter to smooth the fuzz and add contour. Definitely adds another layer imho lol.
[quoted image]

Nice job !!! Looks great

#11249 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinforlife:

[quoted image]

How did you apply cotton to the tornado

#11250 3 years ago

Loose pillow cotton, roll between hands to slightly form. Just overlap the base and twist around and slightly tuck and hold while using a lighter to melt fibers together. Hot glue would work as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 16.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 15,286 posts in this topic. You are on page 225 of 306.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-fan-club-members-only/page/225 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.