BBC45EB9-37B4-430E-B770-C8403A8E8F1F (resized).jpeg
E83552FC-D020-4B19-AB41-9BAECAE0F624 (resized).jpeg
WOZ Service.pdf (PDF preview)
Photo Feb 18 2024, 9 45 03 AM (resized).jpg
IMG_3923 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3924 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5353 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,243 posts in this topic. You are on page 223 of 305.
#11101 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

Reporting back for duty....

4. Anyone connect up an external sub? Success, tips?
Thanks.

Yes. Sounds f#$^%& awesome

Do not connect directly to the output jack in the back it doesn't work that way - signal is too weak and/or humming noise. Pinnovators (the guys that created all the audio gear for WOZ anyway) have a special cable to allow the external sub hookup. Easy Peasy.

#11102 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

1. I pretty much narrowed down my castle door issue to a bad right motor. Awaiting parts.
2. I discovered chipped paint around top left pop bumper. Does JJP do anything about these playfield issues. If not, I guess my best option is to put on a playfield protector to prevent issues here or other parts of the playfield. I did put some mylar down for now in this area. Anyone have experience with putting down a playfield protector? Any lessons learned or tips?
3. While I'm doing the playfield protector, will do a full shop job. Any tips here?
Thanks.

I believe they shipped out some mylar that had the artwork on it to cover the wear areas around the pop bumpers for the early games they didn't put mylar on. Might want to ask them if they have any of those left. I'd skip the full playfield protector and just put mylar down in all the normal areas like around all four pop bumpers and in front of the slings.

#11103 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I believe they shipped out some mylar that had the artwork on it to cover the wear areas around the pop bumpers for the early games they didn't put mylar on. Might want to ask them if they have any of those left. I'd skip the full playfield protector and just put mylar down in all the normal areas like around all four pop bumpers and in front of the slings.

Thanks! It would be nice of they still have those. Although, I'm not against installing and overall protector as well.

#11104 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Bob, just ordered this from JJP: 62-000013-XX. "WoZ mylar set." Is this the right product that has printed artwork on mylar?

Thanks.

#11105 3 years ago

I'm planning on doing a complete shop job on my WoZ. Is there a compiled list of all the coil sleeves needed anywhere?

#11106 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

1. I pretty much narrowed down my castle door issue to a bad right motor. Awaiting parts.
2. I discovered chipped paint around top left pop bumper. Does JJP do anything about these playfield issues. If not, I guess my best option is to put on a playfield protector to prevent issues here or other parts of the playfield. I did put some mylar down for now in this area. Anyone have experience with putting down a playfield protector? Any lessons learned or tips?
3. While I'm doing the playfield protector, will do a full shop job. Any tips here?
Thanks.

Don't bother with the playfield protector.

I just put mylar down that I cut to fit in the whole pops area. Works great.

#11107 3 years ago

Looks like I get to join the castle door problem club! Mine quit opening fully last night, trapping a ball in the VUK. Will dissect tonight and look for some of the known causes.

#11108 3 years ago

Never mind

#11109 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Looks like I get to join the castle door problem club! Mine quit opening fully last night, trapping a ball in the VUK. Will dissect tonight and look for some of the known causes.

Frisco, The monkey Knew you were getting a R&M this week and would soon abandon it so its acting out. Games have Feelings you know!

#11110 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

SYMPTOM: In gameplay when the right door attempts to open, it only opens about halfway. Ball in the VUK cannot escape. The left door is fine.

I've got the castle playfield out and here is what I know:

- The spring is intact and properly slams the door shut as expected.
- The flange that allows the doors to open has plenty of clearance to allow the doors to open and it does make it past that.

I -think- the set screws are ok - at least, they certainly don't want to turn in either direction which makes me assume they are firmly locktited in. Admittedly my tool isn't a perfect fit so I'm going to try and get a better one.

So what's left? Is opening halfway a symptom of a bad door motor?

#11111 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

SYMPTOM: In gameplay when the right door attempts to open, it only opens about halfway. Ball in the VUK cannot escape. The left door is fine.
I've got the castle playfield out and here is what I know:
- The spring is intact and properly slams the door shut as expected.
- The flange that allows the doors to open has plenty of clearance to allow the doors to open and it does make it past that.
I -think- the set screws are ok - at least, they certainly don't want to turn in either direction which makes me assume they are firmly locktited in. Admittedly my tool isn't a perfect fit so I'm going to try and get a better one.
So what's left? Is opening halfway a symptom of a bad door motor?

Screws that hold the shaft to the door, or else it's likely the motor. I'd go with screws first.

#11112 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Screws that hold the shaft to the door, or else it's likely the motor. I'd go with screws first.

Well the manual says that’s a 1/8 Allen wrench but I can’t get mine to fit. Next size down just spins. Something special needed?

#11113 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Something special needed?

Metric one.

LTG : )

#11114 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Well the manual says that’s a 1/8 Allen wrench but I can’t get mine to fit. Next size down just spins. Something special needed?

I would try a metric size like LTG stated. I have both around because you never know what is used.

I wish the US would just go to the metric system. It’s been half a century already since they said they would.

#11115 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

I would try a metric size like LTG stated. I have both around because you never know what is used.
I wish the US would just go to the metric system. It’s been half a century already since they said they would.

Well my toolbox includes both and none of the allen wrenches are a fit. The "red" set has a 1/8 driver that absolutely will not fit.

I wonder if the set screws changed between my game and this manual.

#11116 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Did you try a 3mm and 2.5mm allen wrench? I'm guessing 2.5 is the one, but it's just a guess. One of those two should do it.

#11117 3 years ago

To recap what I did recently:

1. I was having a slight problem with the right castle door occasionally getting stuck.
2. I took off the castle playfield to check the doors. While doing so, I noticed had to cut a pair of wires. So, instead of cutting, I added a two pin molex, .065 size.
3. After checking doors and tightening screws, I put everything back together and the right door stopped working completely.

So, my question is does the size of molex impact the power to the castle doors? Or, was it just coincidence the right door stopped working?

Thanks.

#11118 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Did you try a 3mm and 2.5mm allen wrench? I'm guessing 2.5 is the one, but it's just a guess. One of those two should do it.

I did. Everything is either too big, or too small.

#11119 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I did. Everything is either too big, or too small.

Is it stripped? Or is it maybe not an allen type but a torx bit with the star points?

#11120 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Is it stripped? Or is it maybe not an allen type but a torx bit with the star points?

I was thinking the same thing.

#11121 3 years ago

Nothing works in those damn set screws. NOTHING.

I decided to remove the doors so I could pull the whole mech and get a better angle...and the door screws are in so tight that one stripped rather than came out.
I am super pissed off and frustrated by this entire thing to the point of wanting to sell the game, or perhaps set it on fire.

Is there someone I can just send this upper playfield to in order to get it fixed?

#11122 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I decided to remove the doors so I could pull the whole mech and get a better angle...and the door screws are in so tight that one stripped rather than came out.
I am super pissed off and frustrated by this entire thing to the point of wanting to sell the game, or perhaps set it on fire.
Is there someone I can just send this upper playfield to in order to get it fixed?

For door screws:

Read my thread on this.

Use a brand new screwdriver that snugly fits the screws, they will strip out.

Use a 4" channel lock to remove the beat to death screws.

https://www.homedepot.com/pep/Crescent-4-5-in-Tongue-and-Groove-Plier-RT24CVS/206738172?cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D25T-G-D25T-25_1_HAND_TOOLS-Multi-NA-Feed-LIA-NA-NA-HandTools_LIA-71700000043839315-58700004592003384-92700049573927179&g_store=3313&gclid=Cj0KCQjwv7L6BRDxARIsAGj-34pl2aIZLEiH2w4iaAf8frVK8Sm_DC-HsBoeX1UJuy5QbbYORm8cYt0aAsITEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&mtc=Shopping-B-F_D25T-G-D25T-25_1_HAND_TOOLS-Multi-NA-Feed-LIA-NA-NA-HandTools_LIA

My favorite tool.

Dig in low, grip firmly they will break free.

Dont worry about the door artwork its pretty resilient.

Trust me, I've done it many times.

#11123 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Get a real allen wrench set.
https://www.acehardware.com/departments/tools/hand-tools/hex-wrenches-and-keys/2004547

They will fit.

Its what i use. Nothing exotic. Not metric.

Maybe 5/32" or 7/32" i cant remember...

#11124 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Get a real allen wrench set.
https://www.acehardware.com/departments/tools/hand-tools/hex-wrenches-and-keys/2004547
They will fit.
Its what i use. Nothing exotic. Not metric.
Maybe 5/32" i cant remember...

I think I've got my answers from this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-right-castle-door-partial-open

1. I need 7/32 allen wrench, which I definitely do not have. Ok!
2. The problem is almost certainly the motor, as loose set screws manifest as a floppy door not a partially opening one.

Parts order for the morning. Good to walk away from it for now anyway!

#11125 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

2. The problem is almost certainly the motor, as loose set screws manifest as a floppy door not a partially opening one.

I read that thread good info there.

Read this:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-castle-doors-not-closing-fully

I have done extensive work on the doors.

Im very happy with what i learned

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#11126 3 years ago

Read this:

I appreciate your help @pinballreno!

#11127 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

You are very welcome!

#11128 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

If you legitimately are frustrated you can message me and send me the playfield. I could fix it (no charge for friends) and send it back. May need some time to order parts if a motor is out unless JJP would allow a walk in parts order. Just remember, it’s Only Pinball!!

#11129 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

If you legitimately are frustrated you can message me and send me the playfield. I could fix it (no charge for friends) and send it back. May need some time to order parts if a motor is out unless JJP would allow a walk in parts order. Just remember, it’s Only Pinball!!

I appreciate you very much Yelobird - it's folks like you and many others who make this place great. Your offer is very kind.

I'm walking away from it for tonight, ordering some tools and parts, and I am confident I will get it fixed. Fixing pinball is part of the hobby (and a part I usually enjoy.)

#11130 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I appreciate you very much yelobird - it's folks like you and many others who make this place great. Your offer is very kind.
I'm walking away from it for tonight, ordering some tools and parts, and I am confident I will get it fixed. Fixing pinball is part of the hobby (and a part I usually enjoy.)

If at you first do not succeed, there is always everclear and a match!

#11131 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

New motors come with capacitor pre-installed.

Its good to have a couple spares.

And spare door posts...

Once you break off a screw in a post you will understand why...

And some spare screws for doors.

6/32 x 3/16" pan head in black, or paint your own.

Door post screws 6/32 x 1/4" or 3/16" black allen head. Get them where you can.

Dont bother ordering post screws, they send you useless tiny set screws.

#11132 3 years ago

And spare door posts...

Thanks for that, I ordered all the screws and motors but amended the order to also include the shafts at your suggestion. Those things seem to be welded in there so it would not surprise me at all if I break one off in there.

#11133 3 years ago

And spare door posts...

The motors I just received didn’t have capacitors included.

#11134 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Thats odd.

All of the ones i bought had them.

The last ones i got had little square caps on them, as opposed to tiny disk ones.

I guess one has to buy a few from ed at GPE now.

Also one order had the motor shafts flattened on one side. I thought that was nice!

But the last ones i got did not.

I just ground a flat with a dremel.

This helps the set screw to hold better.

#11135 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Yeah, the one replacement I received a few weeks ago didn't have the cap either but I have a whole bag of various disk caps sitting around so I just used a new one.

#11136 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Yeah, the one replacement I received a few weeks ago didn't have the cap either but I have a whole bag of various disk caps sitting around so I just used a new one.

Does anyone know what purpose those caps serve? Think we can do without them?

#11137 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Those caps are typically there to prevent noise from the motor causing issues with the control systems, not having them would probably not stop the game from working but could lead to other issues and odd behavior so I'd recommend you keep them, just move the one from the old motor over to the new.

#11138 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

You have to install them or problems will occur.

#11139 3 years ago

Interesting the doors work on motors. I would have thought they were coils..

#11140 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Funny, just last night I had an issue with set screws on a bar fridge and couldnt find an allen key to fit. I did find that a star bit worked just as well.

#11141 3 years ago

You have to install them or problems will occur.

I don't recall the reason. I know the shaker motors without the capacitor blows the fuse on occasion.

#11142 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I don't recall the reason. I know the shaker motors without the capacitor blows the fuse on occasion.

Probably to minimize inrush current. When a motor starts it draws more current and the cap reduces starting current.

#11143 3 years ago

Agreed that the caps aren't there for decoration.

The replacement door motors that I bought didn't have caps.

I transferred the caps from my old motors to my new ones.

Tricky but not impossible.
The motor can is a giant heat sink that draws the heat away from the solder zone.

Thanks,
Jason

#11144 3 years ago

Read this:

I get my new motors in a few days. Are they straight forward to remove and replace?

Thanks

#11145 3 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

I get my new motors in a few days. Are they straight forward to remove and replace?
Thanks

#11146 3 years ago

Code Update Idea: On the high score display, show how many gems you earned. If you played this game long enough you start to notice certain accomplishments that earn you gems. Anyway you can show them would be fine by me. One idea would be that you would color a numeral color of gem you earned. I know there are 8 and that would be a 10,000,000 or higher to color all of them so you could so something special (rainbow colors if you got all eight, since its SOTR). And if you scored seven gems, I'm sure you would have broke a million anyway. That's just one idea. You could simply show gems next to the score. I know most people just care about the score but this would be something a little more more special and informative.

#11147 3 years ago
Quoted from scottieIA:

Code Update Idea: On the high score display, show how many gems you earned. If you played this game long enough you start to notice certain accomplishments that earn you gems. Anyway you can show them would be fine by me. One idea would be that you would color a numeral color of gem you earned. I know there are 8 and that would be a 10,000,000 or higher to color all of them so you could so something special (rainbow colors if you got all eight, since its SOTR). And if you scored seven gems, I'm sure you would have broke a million anyway. That's just one idea. You could simply show gems next to the score. I know most people just care about the score but this would be something a little more more special and informative.

What are gems in this game? lol

#11148 3 years ago

Perfect, Thank you!

#11149 3 years ago
Quoted from scottieIA:

I agree with what you say. As a home player, I would like other information be available also. Date the scores were achieved. Screens that show major achievements. Etc.

#11150 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

What are gems in this game? lol

I really wasnt being sarcastic. I dont think ive ever noticed gems in this game?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms
Hardware
14,356 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Roswell, GA
$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
Jackson, MICHIGAN
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
There are 15,243 posts in this topic. You are on page 223 of 305.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-fan-club-members-only/page/223?hl=homebru and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.