20240314_221748 (resized).jpg
20240314_215727 (resized).jpg
841FD4A1-7C8E-4E32-973D-DD8D05C4902E (resized).png
3D72BC84-0D17-44A1-B683-A17D4B722FF3 (resized).jpeg
WOZ lightboard 2 (resized).jpg
WOZ lightboard 1 (resized).jpg
20240309_110050 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,275 posts in this topic. You are on page 163 of 306.
#8101 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Well it turned out you were wrong about it being a translite instead of a backglass and that's what my comment was on so maybe cool your roll there buddy. If you feel the need to justify your purchases that's fine but I don't feel any pain about this model, however commenting on it on a forum specific to WOZ seems pretty reasonable. I didn't call your baby ugly.

+1

Some people need to relax before putting themselves in front of a keyboard.

#8102 4 years ago
Quoted from chalkup8:

Visible ball locks are very nice.

But as with PoTC balls physically locked doesn't always mean balls locked. But could just add some nicely integrated indicator lights

#8103 4 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

People will always bash what they can’t have or don’t agree with, but all that is just white noise if you like what you have. The YBR WOZ is a beautiful piece of pinball art just like all the others. Seems like you might have room for a few more... what’s your next pin on your radar.

Thanks Wildbill for your message, you’re absolutely right... and after my WOZ, I’m not sure what’s next, my distributor called me about a Hobbit that he just got and I love that game, so I’m thinking about it.

Regards and I appreciate your message brother!

#8104 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

That makes more sense.

Humbly, allow me to apologize for not having the right answer buddy. I assumed from another forum my answer.

Cheers

#8105 4 years ago

Thanks for the response to my question. One more question, is there a certain build date that after that time the game is a lot better with not as many issues needing repair? I would want one with the flying monkey, and I know they did away with that with the YBR.

#8106 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Thanks for the response to my question. One more question, is there a certain build date that after that time the game is a lot better with not as many issues needing repair? I would want one with the flying monkey, and I know they did away with that with the YBR.

The only thing to consider in terms of build dates is whether it has the 2.0 lighting system or something earlier. It could have been made with the 2.0 system, or a prior owner could have upgraded it. The 2.0 system is more reliable, and is the system that JJP moved to with all of its games.

So build date may or may not be an indicator. Just check to see if it has the newer system.

Even if not, if you don’t mind the work, you can buy an upgrade kit from JJP for $800 and convert it yourself should you ever have an issue with the older system.

#8107 4 years ago

What are opinions on which version of WOZ has the best build quality. Or are they all equal. Thanks in advance.

#8108 4 years ago

Anyone know where you can buy a tornado statue or miniature? I don't need one that has LED flickering and it's almost $100 - just something super simple. Did a quick Amazon and eBay search and found nothing....

#8109 4 years ago

Thank you very much for that info Nokoro, I made a note about it and I hope to have one of these games very soon.

#8110 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Anyone know where you can buy a tornado statue or miniature? I don't need one that has LED flickering and it's almost $100 - just something super simple. Did a quick Amazon and eBay search and found nothing....

Matt @ backalleycreations

#8111 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I don't know why the monkey was such a "problem"? Out of two WOZ machines and other common issues I never had one problem with my monkey.

As was already said, 2.0 lighting kit. But also, earlier SE playfields were made by Bader and had very bad wear issues around the pop bumpers and drop target. Just be aware of that. There are cover decals available for purchase from JJP if you end up with one of these machines. If you want a cheap WoZ an 2013 SE with minimal playfield wear that you can swap in the 2.0 kit is probably a pretty good deal these days.

#8112 4 years ago
Quoted from Calfdemon:

As far as a lantern light, The Mod Couple make a great one for the castle playfield: https://themodcouplepinball.com/collections/the-wizard-of-oz-jjp/products/the-wizard-of-oz-castle-lantern-custom-spot-lamp-mod
But if you add spots elsewhere, that does not really work for you. Pinstadiums just came out with the Hover mounting system which does not require you to take it off when you raise the playfield now. So that problem has been resolved. They are still a matter of personal taste though. While some say they are too bright, I don't have a problem with them as I adjusted the brightness and color so it does not wash everything out. Again, people either seem to love them or hate them. But the mounting system has been resolved (for an additional charge though...).

Yeah I just checked em out. My fear is once I get one....
Think I'm gonna keep it at three additional spot lights, still a few dark areas... but a world better then it was. Was gonna do it on the left sling to but, I'm happy for now.
Probably the biggest complaint I get on certain games.

This is with all the lights out. Also I just installed the 2.0 kit last week, don't think it made any difference as far as brightness.
least it'll be reliable now. ( two pieces of advice, is make sure you pre-drill. I waited on connecting the bigger RGB boards until everything had power so I could check to make sure wire length was good and the LED was centered and most of the light not blocked, otherwise your going to making more holes in the playfield.)
20190710_004635 (resized).jpg20190710_004635 (resized).jpg

#8113 4 years ago

I also just updated to the latest code. Noticed one annoying difference, when you get 4 horses of the wrong color (accidently) and shoot a lock it auto collects it when the new ball is plunged. It can be difficult enough getting a few stacks of horses, this is just gonna make it stupid to even try.
did it always do this? I had some settings changed a while back so I don't remember.

#8114 4 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

Yeah I just checked em out. My fear is once I get one....
Think I'm gonna keep it at three additional spot lights, still a few dark areas... but a world better then it was. Was gonna do it on the left sling to but, I'm happy for now.
Probably the biggest complaint I get on certain games.
This is with all the lights out. Also I just installed the 2.0 kit last week, don't think it made any difference as far as brightness.
least it'll be reliable now. ( two pieces of advice, is make sure you pre-drill. I waited on connecting the bigger RGB boards until everything had power so I could check to make sure wire length was good and the LED was centered and most of the light not blocked, otherwise your going to making more holes in the playfield.)
[quoted image]

Trough lighting and backboard lighting would do a lot

#8115 4 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

I also just updated to the latest code. Noticed one annoying difference, when you get 4 horses of the wrong color (accidently) and shoot a lock it auto collects it when the new ball is plunged. It can be difficult enough getting a few stacks of horses, this is just gonna make it stupid to even try.
did it always do this? I had some settings changed a while back so I don't remember.

Known bug with 7.01

#8116 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I don't know why the monkey was such a "problem"? Out of two WOZ machines and other common issues I never had one problem with my monkey.

You've been lucky.

LTG : )

#8117 4 years ago

What's the common Monkey issue? All I read about is light board / lighting wiring issues.

#8118 4 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

What's the common Monkey issue?

Might need old grease removed and new put on. Coupling between motor and shaft breaks. And my own personal favorite, someone that doesn't know what they are doing goes in there and bends the shit out of the limit switches trying to adjust them.

#8119 4 years ago

Hey Guys,

While I am not yet an owner I am looking to pick up one of these sooner than later. Question for you owners.. in regards to cliffys for this machines, I see that there are a lot offered.

Do you guys recommend certain ones or all of them or??

I always do shooter lane stuff but I see a lot of upkick protectors and such for this also.

Curious of your thoughts. Thanks.

#8120 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Hey Guys,
While I am not yet an owner I am looking to pick up one of these sooner than later. Question for you owners.. in regards to cliffys for this machines, I see that there are a lot offered.
I always do shooter lane stuff but I see a lot of upkick protectors and such for this also.

Get 'em all. A good amount of disassembly to install them but worth it. Especially if you are buying a used machine, good time to shop it and do rubbers as there are many hard to reach areas. But honestly, once you do the mini playfields a few times it's all cake. Just know what you are unplugging, know where the screws are and look at the manual. It's a freaking work of art.

#8121 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You've been lucky.

My new/used RR has some noise issues, I'm trying to figure out if it is something scraping along the backboard (like the zip tie, which I've replaced and tried to move) or something with the rod. It only happens for about 1/3 of the length. I don't consider it an issue really, I'll be happy to live with it but still trying to resolve. I'll have to put it in auto test mode and see if I can "dampen" the sound by touching any mechs or whatever to see what is vibrating. I lubed up the shaft and rod (heh) with 3-in-1 oil so the moves really smoothly. Waiting on the USB cable to see if I can program my own crystal ball screen (I'm a glutton for punishment.. but I already have the screen so why not) and then just the monkey noise. Love playing this game!

#8122 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Hey Guys,

I am also in the market to purchase a set of cliffys to install when i shop my WOZ next month. My WOZ is interesting, because it was on location for about a year and a bit, and got nearly 33,000 plays on it in that time, with no protectors! My WOZ is the 75th Ruby Red Edition, and was built in December of 2017.

While the game is in pretty good shape overall, heres what started getting some noticeable wear. I am planning to do all of the Cliffys, just because I can.

- In lanes by the slingshots where the ball drops from the habitrail coming back from the upper playfields. The right hand side was worse for wear than the left hand side. I would recommend the Universal switch slot protectors in this case. I already cleaned up the playfield and installed the switch slot protectors on mine, since this was pretty much the worst place it was worn. I don't believe these are a part of the WOZ full kit, you'd need to order them separately.

- The throne-room/Wizard saucer on the right hand side of the game just above the right outlane is starting to wear on the upper side of the hole a bit... it was not terrible, but is starting on mine (remember... 33,000 plays!). A cliffy will cover this completely and it will become a non-issue.

- Shooter lane is surprisingly in good shape for the number of plays. It has a tiny bit of wear on the left side of the lane, but the right side looks good, and barely much wear at all. I've seen plenty of Sterns with a 1/5th the plays have waaaay worse shooter lanes

- Crystal Ball VUK - Absolutely no obvious wear here at all on my game.

- Castle VUK, and Winkie drop target - No concerning wear here on mine.

- Castle Playfield. No noticeable wear on the saucer behind the castle doors, or the spot where the ball exits the castle playfield to the habitrail.

- Munchkin Playfield (upper right) - The edge of the playfield by the ramp entrance has taken a little bit of a beating from air balls, and you can see some potential for wood loss if it doesn't get a protector on it. This protector is probably one of the more important ones in the kit I would say.

- Magnets and rollover switches - Very very very minor wear on the magnet by the upper right flipper. There was a piece of mylar on mine, but I am not sure if this was factory or the previous owner installed it. Top orbit magnet by the OZ lanes has practically no wear. The Tinman, Lion, Scarecrow, and TOTO rollovers all still look fantastic and probably don't need these ones in a home use game, unless they are not leveled properly.

#8123 4 years ago
Quoted from JoshODBrown:

I am also in the market to purchase a set of cliffys to install when i shop my WOZ next month. My WOZ is interesting, because it was on location for about a year and a bit, and got nearly 33,000 plays on it in that time, with no protectors! My WOZ is the 75th Ruby Red Edition, and was built in December of 2017.
While the game is in pretty good shape overall, heres what started getting some noticeable wear. I am planning to do all of the Cliffys, just because I can.
- In lanes by the slingshots where the ball drops from the habitrail coming back from the upper playfields. The right hand side was worse for wear than the left hand side. I would recommend the Universal switch slot protectors in this case. I already cleaned up the playfield and installed the switch slot protectors on mine, since this was pretty much the worst place it was worn. I don't believe these are a part of the WOZ full kit, you'd need to order them separately.
- The throne-room/Wizard saucer on the right hand side of the game just above the right outlane is starting to wear on the upper side of the hole a bit... it was not terrible, but is starting on mine (remember... 33,000 plays!). A cliffy will cover this completely and it will become a non-issue.
- Shooter lane is surprisingly in good shape for the number of plays. It has a tiny bit of wear on the left side of the lane, but the right side looks good, and barely much wear at all. I've seen plenty of Sterns with a 1/5th the plays have waaaay worse shooter lanes
- Castle Playfield. No noticeable wear on the saucer behind the castle doors, or the spot where the ball exits the castle playfield to the habitrail.
- Munchkin Playfield (upper right) - The edge of the playfield by the ramp entrance has taken a little bit of a beating from air balls, and you can see some potential for wood loss if it doesn't get a protector on it. This protector is probably one of the more important ones in the kit I would say.
- Magnets and rollover switches - Very very very minor wear on the magnet by the upper right flipper. There was a piece of mylar on mine, but I am not sure if this was factory or the previous owner installed it. Top orbit magnet by the OZ lanes has practically no wear. The Tinman, Lion, Scarecrow, and TOTO rollovers all still look fantastic and probably don't need these ones in a home use game, unless they are not leveled properly.

My story is almost exactly like yours.

#8124 4 years ago

trough and backboard lighting would do a lot

I thought about it... hmmmm ok I'll give it a shot

#8125 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Known bug with 7.01

that sucks, hopefully they fix it.

It also did something else similar when you short plunge, on the right orbit switch while your in a mode. It qualifies (or hits) that shot as well, when I'm pretty sure it normally didn't.

#8126 4 years ago
Quoted from JoshODBrown:

This is great info and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much for taking the time to write this all up.

Sounds like these playfields can really take the abuse... 33,000 plays and only very minor issues, very good to hear.

Thanks again!

#8127 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

This is great info and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much for taking the time to write this all up.
Sounds like these playfields can really take the abuse... 33,000 plays and only very minor issues, very good to hear.
Thanks again!

Also, has anyone used these vs. Cliffys? Seems like they do the same with far less dismantling.. (also dont like how you have to drill the munchkin playfield for the Cliffy protector there).

https://modfatherpinball.com/collections/woz/products/woz-munchkinland-chrome-edge-protector

#8128 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Also, has anyone used these vs. Cliffys? Seems like they do the same with far less dismantling.. (also dont like how you have to drill the munchkin playfield for the Cliffy protector there).
https://modfatherpinball.com/collections/woz/products/woz-munchkinland-chrome-edge-protector

I only suspect, have no real info, that it is a plastic vinyl chrome coated piece. I think it looks sort of out of place.

#8129 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

What are opinions on which version of WOZ has the best build quality. Or are they all equal. Thanks in advance.

I think they are all pretty equal. The primary reliability difference is with the light systems used with 7.5 buffered and the new 2.0 system being preferred. Can’t attribute it to a particular version though as the light system was more a factor of build date instead of edition.

Best part is that they all play the same and there are no missing major playfield features or crippled code between editions so it’s really just a choice of your preference/budget.

#8130 4 years ago

never had one problem with my monkey.

#8131 4 years ago

I only suspect, have no real info, that it is a plastic vinyl chrome coated piece. I think it looks sort of out of place.

I personally think they both look of place.

Question, how often do air balls go into that piece that it needs a protector?

#8132 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I personally think they both look of place.
Question, how often do air balls go into that piece that it needs a protector?

It’s very frequent and is probably the area that most needs protection unless you don’t mind the edges being chipped away. I guess if you’re someone who never looks closely up there it probably wouldn’t matter much to you.

I personally prefer the look of the cliffy over the bare layers of plywood.

#8133 4 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

It’s very frequent and is probably the area that most needs protection unless you don’t mind the edges being chipped away. I guess if you’re someone who never looks closely up there it probably wouldn’t matter much to you.
I personally prefer the look of the cliffy over the bare layers of plywood.

Oh ok, good to know. I am definitely someone who would be bothered by chipping of wood..

#8134 4 years ago

Here is a link with a few photos I took years ago. Note that all those ball dings aren’t really super noticeable but i happened to get the light just right and picked them up. This was after having the cliffy on for just a few hundred plays. I’m sure not every one of those ball strikes would have caused a chip but several could have and one did before I installed it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-fan-club-members-only/page/36#post-3260581

#8135 4 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Here is a link with a few photos I took years ago. Note that all those ball dings aren’t really super noticeable but i happened to get the light just right and picked them up. This was after having the cliffy on for just a few hundred plays. I’m sure not every one of those ball strikes would have caused a chip but several could have and one did before I installed it.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-fan-club-members-only/page/36#post-3260581

Oh wow, thanks for that. Definitely going to need protection there..

#8136 4 years ago

If you can only buy one Cliffy protector for the game, hands down that's the one to install.

#8137 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

If you can only buy one Cliffy protector for the game, hands down that's the one to install.

Welll.... Being pragmatic about it, that playfield is much cheaper to replace than the main playfield. I'd say the throne room and winky are pretty important too.

There is no option, lol... He has to get them all!

#8138 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

You are correct, sir. It is a strip of chrome colored vinyl with an adhesive backing. I bought this in one of my orders, took one look at it, and threw it in my "pinball crap" bin. Bought a Cliffy for Munchkinland instead. The drilling is really not as intense as it seems. I was very nervous about doing this. But it's really nothing. You're just drilling tiny little pilot holes so the screws go in clean.

#8139 4 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

You are correct, sir. It is a strip of chrome colored vinyl with an adhesive backing. I bought this in one of my orders, took one look at it, and threw it in my "pinball crap" bin. Bought a Cliffy for Munchkinland instead. The drilling is really not as intense as it seems. I was very nervous about doing this. But it's really nothing. You're just drilling tiny little pilot holes so the screws go in clean.

I didn't even drill, don't shoot me. Those small screws slide right in to the buttery wood lol.

#8140 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I went with this one over the Cliffy one and really like it. It does exactly the same thing and I like the look of it better as it has a more mirrored look to it and is rounded, which shows off the lights in the game a lot more. Had both, went with this one. It is chrome colored vinyl as stated, but the back padding of the sticker makes it more giving and after a couple years in the machine, no visible marks on the piece and it has never come off. I have the other cliffys in my game still, have the modfather one on my munchkinland pf.

#8141 4 years ago

All this talk about the Cliffy on the Munchkin playfield has got me thinking about the need for it again - the air balls from the right edge of the ramp.

I did a bit of Pinside/Google-fu-ing and couldn't find a definitive solution. I haven't busted out the phone to shoot any slow motion video; but, I would suspect the air balls are the result of a shot hitting the right side entrance of the ramp.

Has anyone messed with maybe some larger rubbers on the posts to the right or even a piece of Lexan over the entrance as a solution?

#8142 4 years ago
Quoted from jedimastermatt:

All this talk about the Cliffy on the Munchkin playfield has got me thinking about the need for it again - the air balls from the right edge of the ramp.
I did a bit of Pinside/Google-fu-ing and couldn't find a definitive solution. I haven't busted out the phone to shoot any slow motion video; but, I would suspect the air balls are the result of a shot hitting the right side entrance of the ramp.
Has anyone messed with maybe some larger rubbers on the posts to the right or even a piece of Lexan over the entrance as a solution?

A lot of balls bounce off the Glinda target and get airborne, some all the way onto the munchkin playfield. this is pretty common.

Steel strip is the only long term solution, cliffys. Even my steel cliffy is showing wear, there are dents all over it.

For home use, 3 layers of mylar will probably also work for a little while.

But after 8000 to 12000 plays you will see a lot of wear.

Utimately it will look like the edge of the Doctor Who time expander.

#8143 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

A lot of balls bounce off the Glinda target and get airborne, some all the way onto the munchkin playfield. this is pretty common.
Steel strip is the only long term solution, cliffys. Even my steel cliffy is showing wear, there are dents all over it.
For home use, 3 layers of mylar will probably also work for a little while.
But after 8000 to 12000 plays you will see a lot of wear.
Utimately it will look like the edge of the Doctor Who time expander.

I have the full set of Cliffys on mine and the air that I get occasionally isn't from the left side with the Glinda; but, the right ramp entrance. The ball catches to much of the entrance to the actual entrance and not the inside lip. At least that's what it seems to do on my machine.

#8144 4 years ago

I didn't even drill, don't shoot me. Those small screws slide right in to the buttery wood lol.

This is exactly what I was thinking. It wouldnt be the first time ive used a cliffy other than directed haha.

#8145 4 years ago
Quoted from jedimastermatt:

I have the full set of Cliffys on mine and the air that I get occasionally isn't from the left side with the Glinda; but, the right ramp entrance. The ball catches to much of the entrance to the actual entrance and not the inside lip. At least that's what it seems to do on my machine.

Yep, that happens alot too.

Im on my second Glinda target. She gets hit so many times, and really hard too!
She should have black eyes and bruises in the video lol.

#8146 4 years ago
Quoted from Calfdemon:

I went with this one over the Cliffy one and really like it. It does exactly the same thing and I like the look of it better as it has a more mirrored look to it and is rounded, which shows off the lights in the game a lot more. Had both, went with this one. It is chrome colored vinyl as stated, but the back padding of the sticker makes it more giving and after a couple years in the machine, no visible marks on the piece and it has never come off. I have the other cliffys in my game still, have the modfather one on my munchkinland pf.

Thats good to know. Ill probably end up ordering both and trying them out... Thanks!

#8147 4 years ago

Do you even need the bottom screws? Ive found that thin double sided tape can do wonders sometimes...

#8148 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Do you even need the bottom screws? Ive found that thin double sided tape can do wonders sometimes...

I had the playfield out of the game anyhow so I did it. It snugs it up to the playfield nicely.

#8149 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

The screw to the far right over the shooter lane should be replaced with a flat head. The ball can hit it.
Its a very tight area for the ball to shoot thru on launch.

#8 x 3/8" or half inch flat head screw.

#8150 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

The screw to the far right over the shooter lane should be replaced with a flat head. The ball can hit it.
Its a very tight area for the ball to shoot thru on launch.
#8 x 3/8" or half inch flat head screw.

Pic?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

14,850 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Northport, NY
13,000 (OBO)
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 5.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

There are 15,275 posts in this topic. You are on page 163 of 306.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-fan-club-members-only/page/163 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.