767a905f-f768-44f4-b3e3-b2998967ff3c_text.gif
Photo Mar 30 2024, 5 42 30 PM (resized).jpg
20240316_125739 (resized).jpg
20240314_221748 (resized).jpg
20240314_215727 (resized).jpg
841FD4A1-7C8E-4E32-973D-DD8D05C4902E (resized).png
3D72BC84-0D17-44A1-B683-A17D4B722FF3 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,283 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 306.
#601 9 years ago
Quoted from neurokinetik:

It has nothing to do with looking at something else, that "3d" visual effect happens whenever the game does that rapid color-cycling during the attract mode.

And it is probably due to the fact that the rgb led lights have 3 separate colored led emitters that blend to provide a spectrum of colors. As the displayed color of each led smoothly varies, the intensity of each emitter changes, and they are located close together but not in the same spot, so the light appears to ripple or undulate as it changes color.

#602 9 years ago

So I don't have a WOZ but under pressure from the wife and kids I may wind up getting one sooner rather than later. I want to ask this group for some feedback. It seems to me, from very limited playtime on old code and from videos I have watched, that almost everything is lit all the time. I really enjoy the light show and strobing effects but, for example, I feel so confused by the Yellow Brick Road as it seems like it should be dark until shots are made but the inserts always seem to be lit. This seems the same for almost the whole playfield.

Can anyone with experience on the machine explain how this all works? Obviously it is not an issue and isn't affecting your ability to play but watching videos I can't understand at all what is going on or what to shoot for.

Thanks!

#603 9 years ago
Quoted from sawyerfamilyaz:

So I don't have a WOZ but under pressure from the wife and kids I may wind up getting one sooner rather than later. I want to ask this group for some feedback. It seems to me, from very limited playtime on old code and from videos I have watched, that almost everything is lit all the time. I really enjoy the light show and strobing effects but, for example, I feel so confused by the Yellow Brick Road as it seems like it should be dark until shots are made but the inserts always seem to be lit. This seems the same for almost the whole playfield.
Can anyone with experience on the machine explain how this all works? Obviously it is not an issue and isn't affecting your ability to play but watching videos I can't understand at all what is going on or what to shoot for.
Thanks!

The yellow brick road inserts are off until collected...early code had them strobe all the time. Glad that changed! It's pretty easy to decipher everything now.

#604 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

The yellow brick road inserts are off until collected...early code had them strobe all the time. Glad that changed! It's pretty easy to decipher everything now.

There's still other stuff that I think is more confusing than it needs to be. The letters in the scarecrow, lion, and tinman's names that you haven't collected yet are always strobing. Knowing what all the different colors everywhere mean, etc. I love the game, but in my opinion, it is NOT obvious what to do.

#605 9 years ago

I was wondering if any one has figured out what extends the haunted mode times, just recently I believe I had haunted targets going and I noticed that the countdown timer for it kept increasing, (this was not from hitting the Glinda target), it went all the way up to 45 sec left and i had had it running for quite some time. I thought it might be because I was hitting the pop bumpers, but not sure. Got me wondering if each haunted mode has it's own trigger that extends the mode.

#606 9 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

I was wondering if any one has figured out what extends the haunted mode times, just recently I believe I had haunted targets going and I noticed that the countdown timer for it kept increasing, (this was not from hitting the Glinda target), it went all the way up to 45 sec left and i had had it running for quite some time. I thought it might be because I was hitting the pop bumpers, but not sure. Got me wondering if each haunted mode has it's own trigger that extends the mode.

I think the pops extend it.

#607 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I think the pops extend it.

Pretty sure it's the pink standup target in the pops that does it.

#608 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I love the game, but in my opinion, it is NOT obvious what to do.

I agree. But I think there is a reason for this. A typical game only has one or two things (or modes) going on at once, so the game can highlight the one or two shots that you are supposed to do next. I would cite Stern Star Trek as an example of this: the most you can stack is one of the missions and a Klingon Multiball or one of the missions and a Vengeance mode.

Wizard of Oz is incredibly stackable. For example, the other day, I think I had Emerald City Multiball, Welcome to Munchkin Land, Witch Fireball, and Crystal Ball running all at the same time. (Or at least for ten seconds before I had an adrenaline overload and drained everything.) This is where I think a player needs to change from "aim for the blinky thing" to looking at the monitor to see the status of each objective and decide which of the several objectives to go after.

I think I've read somewhere that one of the hallmarks of an engaging game is that there are many options for the player at any given time, rather than a linear tunnel. I think the sheer breadth of options at any given time and the need to utilize the monitor to stay abreast of your options has generated some confusion among traditional players and may be responsible for some of the lukewarm responses toward Wizard of Oz.

For myself, I know that the first several times I played the Wizard of Oz resulted in a giant yawn. It was only after reading some of the rules that I "got it" and realized that the monitor was my friend, not the insert lights.

#609 9 years ago

^^^ That is what I was wondering. Is it my status quo way of thinking and approaching the play of this game that makes me feel confused and unsure what to do? When I have played WOZ I almost feel overloaded like by having so many thing lit I have nothing to shoot for. But I have no real point of reference on the monitor and how to use since it is the first one I have ever seen! Thank you all the feedback is great. I didn't want to turn this is into a "how to play WOZ" thread but it's nice to be able to ask the questions I have been wondering about and not get worthless answers and fights about JJP.

Next question for a very prospective buyer, what games can you compare it to for feel/enjoyment/pacing, etc? Or example I am not a big fan of TSPP but I loved TZ and IJ, which are both "pick your shot" type machines. I feel like WOZ might be similar?

Thank you all so much!

#610 9 years ago

^^^ That is what I was wondering. Is it my status quo way of thinking and approaching the play of this game that makes me feel confused and unsure what to do?

This was the case for me. Ironically, with so much going on, the confusion can make a player feel like nothing is going on.

Note that the owner's manual is free to download at JJP's website. One thing it does is describe some of the basic rules and how the monitor relates to the rules.

#611 9 years ago
Quoted from neurokinetik:

It has nothing to do with looking at something else, that "3d" visual effect happens whenever the game does that rapid color-cycling during the attract mode.

Its not as intense for me unless I'm not looking directly at it.

#612 9 years ago

I've owned my WOZLE for a week now, but had played it maybe 40 times at various locations prior to buying one. Playing on location was more flailing around trying to make my dollar last, but playing maybe 30 games at home & studying it has totally changed my gameplay. I'd say the play is most similar to tz but faster. There are moment of pause during play waiting for the vuk's to fire, but it's almost a second of pause to relax before the awesomeness starts again. Once you understand what's happening it's addictive and pure fun!

#613 9 years ago

^^^ That is what I was wondering. Is it my status quo way of thinking and approaching the play of this game that makes me feel confused and unsure what to do? When I have played WOZ I almost feel overloaded like by having so many thing lit I have nothing to shoot for. But I have no real point of reference on the monitor and how to use since it is the first one I have ever seen! Thank you all the feedback is great. I didn't want to turn this is into a "how to play WOZ" thread but it's nice to be able to ask the questions I have been wondering about and not get worthless answers and fights about JJP.

I've said it before, but the "follow the yellow brick road" strategy is where I start. Alternate ramp and orbit shots to advance YBR. In doing so, you will normally collect letters for Scarecrow, Lion and Tin Man. That sets you up to start ECMB. Right orbit shots into the pops will get haunted modes started - don't forget to hold both flippers to shut off the pops to get the ball into the "collect" spot once you've got haunted lit. Next, work on getting RESCUE virtual locks. If you've been shooting YBR orbit shots, you've probably already got Dorothy captured. So get those virtual locks, start Rescue, and as soon as you start that, start ECMB. If you can get a crystal ball mode going, now is the time to do it. Collect your jackpots for both multiballs, and don't forget to try to get that super, or mega jackpot at the castle.

You can also work on your witch hurryups and rainbow targets during the multiballs, so hopefully when you are back to single ball, you've made at least one munchkin mode, and are getting close to starting Fireball Frenzy. Start Fireball Frenzy by itself, and make as much progress as you can. Once that is done, Witch Battle will be ready to start.

Whether you succeed or fail at witch battle, continue to follow the same YBR strategy, of setting up stacked Rescue and ECMB, and eventually, you'll also add Haunted MB to the mix, as well as Munchkin MB.

1 week later
#614 9 years ago

I currently have a Standard WOZ and have the top to bottom playfield angle at 6.5 degrees. I was wondering what everyone is using for their games? Have you noticed one pitch being better than another?

#615 9 years ago

Well, I'm very interested in getting this pin and brought this up the the family. I was thrown a curve ball my 5 year old grandson is afraid of the witch. My granddaughter age 3 I don't know but she's petrified of Yoda.

Thoughts ? The pins are in the basement and they like to play down there. I purposely avoided some pins for that very reason like BSD, Met etc. the list goes on.

Thanks,

#616 9 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

Well, I'm very interested in getting this pin and brought this up the the family. I was thrown a curve ball my 5 year old grandson is afraid of the witch. My granddaughter age 3 I don't know but she's petrified of Yoda.
Thoughts ? The pins are in the basement and they like to play down there. I purposely avoided some pins for that very reason like BSD, Met etc. the list goes on.
Thanks,

If you are talking about the picture of the witch between the flippers I am sure you could come up with some kind of paper thin cover (easy to put on and take off) to hide her face. My 14 month old granddaughter can't take her eyes off the pf when I am playing. Once the game starts I'll bet your grandson forgets all about the witch. You might have to turn the sound down.

#617 9 years ago
Quoted from surfinvet:

I currently have a Standard WOZ and have the top to bottom playfield angle at 6.5 degrees. I was wondering what everyone is using for their games? Have you noticed one pitch being better than another?

I have no idea my angle but my front legs are lowered to the bottom, and rear are around the middle which seems to work well.

#618 9 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

Thanks,

Guess it depends on if they are around when you, or others play WOZ. Won't be able to hide her, as she is prominent on the display, and especially in the audio while battling her....might be worth a trip where it's on location and see how they behave before buying it....

I don't have little ones around, but could imagine a little fear there.....she just aggravates me...mark

#619 9 years ago

I hate her and want nothing more than to beat her!!!!!

#620 9 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

I hate her and want nothing more than to beat her!!!!!

Exactly!!!

#621 9 years ago

It looks like the witch is also on the backglass. This came up when my wife and I were out of town skiing. We mentioned to the kids thursday we were looking to get WOZ pinball.

My daughter was going to show him (grandson) a WOZ you tube, he wants me to get Spiderman instead. My wife is going to access the damage monday. Meanwhile my son and his wife are major bummed if I don't get this pin.

Frank keeps asking my daughter about the witch. (glad he hasn't made it to see the monkeys) my wife was freaked out about them in the day.

#622 9 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

It looks like the witch is also on the backglass. This came up when my wife and I were out of town skiing. We mentioned to the kids thursday we were looking to get WOZ pinball.
My daughter was going to show him (grandson) a WOZ you tube, he wants me to get spiderman instead. My wife is going to access the damage monday. Meanwhile my son and his wife are major bummed if I don't get this pin.
Frank keeps asking my daughter about the witch. (glad he hasn't made it to see the monkeys) my wife was freaked out about them in the day.

So is Frank the Grandson ( sorry, I'm a little confused)? SM has Venom, Goblin, Sandman, and Doc Ock...all scary too.....

WOZ has the awesome display screen...major plus, but definitely gets bystanders in the game, and images are quite animated ( has he seen the witch on the machine, or just the movie?)

Light show and other stuff might be a great distraction....again...is there one on location that you can take him to see? Probably only way to tell for sure...good luck....awesome machine ( highly, highly recommend).....mark

#623 9 years ago

Let me start off this by saying I'm a huge JJP / WOZ fan. I got my WOZLE 2 weeks ago and it's like Christmas when I was a kid all over again - I absolutely love it. I also got one of the signed WOZ translites, and decided to get it framed by either Michaels or Hobby Lobby - whoever was cheaper. OMG - Michaels price was $358 after a 50% plus 30% coupon - beautiful green & red mat, nice frame & masterpiece treated glass, but heck no. I drove to Hobby Lobby & they got the price down to $212.80 but still too much for my cheap butt. The problem is the translite is not a "standard" size, so you can't just buy a off the shelf pre-made $50 frame - nothing fits. I then had an idea - buy a frame that's too tall or wide, take it home, shorten it, take it back to Hobby Lobby, have them cut the glass to fit the shrunk frame, put the fancy mat in it, and save some $$$. I described my idea to the sales lady and she figured it would end up costing around $100 total. Here's some pics so far:
image-710.jpgimage-710.jpg
image-233.jpgimage-233.jpg
image-181.jpgimage-181.jpg
I broke the glass trying to get it out of the frame - add $25 to project
image-974.jpgimage-974.jpg
Little off the side & we're all set!
image-515.jpgimage-515.jpg
The frame is held together surprisingly well with metal anchors that were a pain to remove without tearing up the frame
image-332.jpgimage-332.jpg
image-443.jpgimage-443.jpg
I cracked both sides of the end piece getting the anchors out, so I gorilla glued & clamped back together
image-814.jpgimage-814.jpg
image-585.jpgimage-585.jpg
image-719.jpgimage-719.jpg
Done - hopefully with the protective film off, nice mat and new glass should look nice - Ill post the final pic when I get it back.

#624 9 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

Thanks,

My kids are 6 and 9 and scare very easily. in the beginning, my 6 year old was a little scared of the witch but quickly got over it. There is a lot going on that kept the attention from being solely on her. Of course all kids are different so I can't predict how it will affect yours, but I hope this helps. SM on the other hand doesn't bother them at all.

#625 9 years ago

My son is two and loves watching my WOZ...probably the RGB LEDs entrancing him. He is scared of my RS and JP (talking heads and dinosaur) though. He is ok with the others, but really loves WOZ.

#626 9 years ago

image-773.jpgimage-773.jpg
Got the translite framed - $103 total - now on a mission to beat the witch!!!

#627 9 years ago

Beating the witch is a blast. The first time I got to her I beat her and don't even recall everything. It just happened. Now I have trouble getting to her again. I've been there 5 times at this point. I'm switching to 5 ball! I said it!

#628 9 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Beating the witch is a blast. The first time I got to her I beat her and don't even recall everything. It just happened. Now I have trouble getting to her again. I've been there 5 times at this point. I'm switching to 5 ball! I said it!

I just checked my audits. I've battled the witch 10 times, and beat her 3. For some reason that feels pathetic, but at least the last time I beat her I did well on the victory laps.

Even though I had some minor issues with my game (which Jack fixed of course), I have to say that WOZ was an amazing effort for a first game. The level of play in the game is just stunning. A year and 4 months and the game still feels fresh and new. I do still struggle with Rescue Multiball (I'm really wanting to complete it someday). And for some reason I still can't start Munchkin Multiball even when I try. And to me, that makes a great game. I'm still trying to do new things after this long.

In fact someone on the google group mentioned the YBR strategy, and I've been trying that.

So Jack, yeah, nice job building a great game.

#629 9 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

I'll admit it - my WOZ is on 5 ball, 4 extra balls up to 300k, nice long ball saver, and outlanes squeezed shut. Even then it seems like I usually have maybe one or two good balls. Those outlanes are still killer! I can almost always get to the witch (thank you 5 ball), but damn if I can beat her!

#630 9 years ago

Wow Dave ~ that's 30% beating the witch - nice!!!

#631 9 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I just checked my audits. I've battled the witch 10 times, and beat her 3. For some reason that feels pathetic, but at least the last time I beat her I did well on the victory laps.
Even though I had some minor issues with my game (which Jack fixed of course), I have to say that WOZ was an amazing effort for a first game. The level of play in the game is just stunning. A year and 4 months and the game still feels fresh and new. I do still struggle with Rescue Multiball (I'm really wanting to complete it someday). And for some reason I still can't start Munchkin Multiball even when I try. And to me, that makes a great game. I'm still trying to do new things after this long.
In fact someone on the google group mentioned the YBR strategy, and I've been trying that.

I'd say that is an excellent percentage, I'll have to check mine, but I'll be very surprised if it's as good as that.

We seem to be very similar players, I can't seem to get to Munchkin multiball, and haven't mastered Rescue yet either. So many different ways to approach it, just never gets boring!!

#632 9 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

No way I'm checking mine....I've only beaten her twice, but generally get to that mode every session I have.....been @ the final shot many times, but as you know, if it's not done in a certain time, you have to go back and hit the castle, then ramp again....AHHHH...tonight is WOZ night, and I shall try again....have had my Tronle kicking my ass last 2 nights....WOZ's turn....man, I love this game!!!!

#633 9 years ago

F' it I'm doing 5 ball now, No where near getting to the witch

#634 9 years ago

IMO unless your training for a tourney. WOZ is meant to be in 5 ball at home! lololol

#635 9 years ago

Really???.....5 ball is for EM's

#636 9 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

Really???.....5 ball is for EM's

And woz.

#637 9 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I've battled the witch 10 times, and beat her 3.

Better percentage than mine. I'm 4 for 19.

#638 9 years ago

lol, 5 ball. you guys.....

#639 9 years ago

I found this by accident, but if you love your Wizard of Oz pinball, there is plenty of appropriate wall art to put near your machine, including "Munckin Land", "Emerald City", and "Yellow Brick Road" signs:
ebay.com link: bhp

#640 9 years ago

#641 9 years ago

Thanks nosro - I'm good with the signed translite I got with the pin - guess you missed the point it would have been over $325 getting it done, but ended up costing around $100..... I do love my WOZ though!

#642 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Better percentage than mine. I'm 4 for 19.

Stop it!!!...I'm 2 for 20 million, it seems.....

#643 9 years ago

I'm still 0 for .... the witch is throwing a shut out!!

#644 9 years ago

Same here o for. Although I did it once before the last code update, wonder if something changed and got harder. Definitely harder than destroying the ring in lotr.

#645 9 years ago

I just melted the witch for the first time after 17 attempts at melting the witch. (Lanes set to the most closed position, installed "extra easy", 3 balls. Yes, I suck.) What a rush!

Of course, once that was done, I was left with the fact that I had earned no gems towards Somewhere Over the Rainbow. There's still plenty to do here....

#646 9 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

I was left with the fact that I had earned no gems towards Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

Don't you get one for melting the witch?

#647 9 years ago

I believe there is a gem and an extra ball awarded for 50 yellow brick road shots.

#648 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Don't you get one for melting the witch?

You do...you get a diamond for defeating the witch. 7 more to go!

#649 9 years ago

Where do you see how many gems have been earned? I thought it was on the perimeter around the emeralds.

#650 9 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

Where do you see how many gems have been earned? I thought it was on the perimeter around the emeralds.

Yeah, it is.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 16.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
13,000 (OBO)
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 15,283 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 306.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-fan-club-members-only/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.