BBC45EB9-37B4-430E-B770-C8403A8E8F1F (resized).jpeg
E83552FC-D020-4B19-AB41-9BAECAE0F624 (resized).jpeg
WOZ Service.pdf (PDF preview)
Photo Feb 18 2024, 9 45 03 AM (resized).jpg
IMG_3923 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3924 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5353 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,243 posts in this topic. You are on page 114 of 305.
#5651 5 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

Is a transistor out

I'd suspect a bridge rectifier for the 12 volts.

The manual has the pinouts for boards. If you have the unified power supply board, check it's outputs.

LTG : )

#5652 5 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

I got a RR 3 years NIB. I finannallygot trouble. My F14 fuse blew,I replaced it, & now tests good!but none of my 12v lightd or all motors. F9 & f13 are piggybackes to f14. They all trst good but, don't work. Is a transistor out,& if so I Can't find a cause. Do they just go out? Lights are out beside suspected fuses. Thanks for any help.

Do all of the fuses test good with a meter?

#5653 5 years ago

Thank you pinballinreno and LTG for excellent tips! I noticed when putting the miniplayfield back together that I had accidentally knocked J9 off from the left-side opto i/o board. I checked it now again and reinstalled - I think it was one pin off - my eyesight is not what it used to be! Anyway, after reinstalling, no more errors.

#5654 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Thank you pinballinreno and LTG for excellent tips! I noticed when putting the miniplayfield back together that I had accidentally knocked J9 off from the left-side opto i/o board. I checked it now again and reinstalled - I think it was one pin off - my eyesight is not what it used to be! Anyway, after reinstalling, no more errors.

Nice job!

#5655 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd suspect a bridge rectifier for the 12 volts.
The manual has the pinouts for boards. If you have the unified power supply board, check it's outputs.

I checked the voltage at the power supply as you suggested,all good. The good news is I noticed the f 714 fuse sure did come out easily. I tightened the holders a little, and Ruby Red is up and going. Thanks for your advise.

#5656 5 years ago

My castle and munchkinland flippers stopped working all of a sudden. Is this a known phenomena and what should one check? Thank you for any tips!

#5657 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

My castle and munchkinland flippers stopped working all of a sudden. Is this a known phenomena and what should one check? Thank you for any tips!

Since they are two separate mechs, my guess is that they have a common connector to the board or a common fuse. I would check the right connectors (by reseating them) and fuses (by removing and testing with a multimeter) first.

#5658 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Since they are two separate mechs, my guess is that they have a common connector to the board or a common fuse. I would check the right connectors (by reseating them) and fuses (by removing and testing with a multimeter) first.

Any info, which fuse is it?

#5659 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Any info, which fuse is it?

I don’t know off the top of my head. Check the manual. If you don’t have one, you can download it from the JJP website.

#5660 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

It is not a known phenomena on this game but it happens to all games.

Either a wire fell off or a fuse is blown.
More than likely a connector is loose of fell off, or the fuse is loose in the fuse holder and needs to be squeezed a little.

The fuses are located on the PC board in the PC cabinet (big silver box).

#5661 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

My castle and munchkinland flippers stopped working all of a sudden.

I hate when that happens. Don't you hate when that happens ?

Quoted from Nepi23:

Is this a known phenomena

Yes. All pins having flipper can have them stop working.

Quoted from Nepi23:

what should one check?

Please go to Tests - Switches - Dedicated, then slowly push your flipper buttons in. One side at a time. Two leaf blade switches on each side. When you slowly push them in you'll see first one, then the other register on the screen.

If you only see the first one register ( your lower flippers ) then turn the game off. Lift playfield. Adjust the leaf blade switches farthest from the flipper button. So they close when you push the flipper button in.

Close game up. Power up. Enjoy playing again.

#5662 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I hate when that happens. Don't you hate when that happens ?

Yes. All pins having flipper can have them stop working.

Please go to Tests - Switches - Dedicated, then slowly push your flipper buttons in. One side at a time. Two leaf blade switches on each side. When you slowly push them in you'll see first one, then the other register on the screen.
If you only see the first one register ( your lower flippers ) then turn the game off. Lift playfield. Adjust the leaf blade switches farthest from the flipper button. So they close when you push the flipper button in.
Close game up. Power up. Enjoy playing again.

Darn it! Forgot to suggest that. But of course Lloyd is right. Should always check the simplest possible cause first.

#5663 5 years ago

Thanks for the tips, I will look for loose connectors - hopefully it is not just a leaf switch, that would be too embarrassing

And LTG, yes, I do hate when it happens

#5664 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Thanks for the tips, I will look for loose connectors - hopefully it is not just a leaf switch, that would be too embarrassing
And LTG, yes, I do hate when it happens

I suspect a wire, connector or fuse.
Both flipper leaf switches wouldnt fail at the same time, due to adjustment, unless some other mischief was afoot.

#5665 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Both flipper leaf switches wouldnt fail at the same time, due to adjustment,

On WOZ, yes they would.

From tech support experience, quite often.

#5666 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

On WOZ, yes they would.
From tech support experience, quite often.

Wow, good to know. Thanks!

#5667 5 years ago

Some testing done:
- flippers were ok according to the test, both switches on both flippers registered.
- I noticed that the slingshots were dead as well
- I tested magnets as well (coils-test --> put on repeat), it seems they are dead as well
- I checked fuses F702 and F708, but both gave the peep and I also tried to bend the fuse holders a bit to a more closed position to tighten their grip, but it was no help. F702 seems like the likely culprit, but did not help to tighted the holder and the fuse gave the beep.

It may then be some connector, I visually checked and did not notice any loose connectors. This might be a more difficult fault to hunt down.

#5668 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I checked fuses F702 and F708, but both gave the peep

Did you remove them from the board and check with a meter ?

One is likely bad. If you lost all high power, more things wouldn't be working.

If not the fuse, then check the coil chart and find the common wire to them. Check continuity from the I/O board to them. I'd go over the connectors at the back of the metal box all the boards are in, be sure they are pushed in tight both sides and you don't have a wire sticking out. Be sure all connectors on I/O board are on tight, USB cables too.

#5669 5 years ago

Sorry all - I double-checked F702 fuse and its blown. I removed it the first time from its holder, but I think I may have misread the diagram and removed the fuse from the other end of the line or something like that...

#5670 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Sorry all - I double-checked F702 fuse and its blown. I removed it the first time from its holder, but I think I may have misread the diagram and removed the fuse from the other end of the line or something like that...

The fuses have led lights near them to do a quick look at on the pc board, that helps maybe.

#5671 5 years ago

Any idea how to fix the castle right door?

While in the castle door testing, it won't open fully. If I pushed it to fully open, it won't fully closed after.

Guess I need to take out the mini playfield ...

IMG_3584 (resized).JPGIMG_3584 (resized).JPGIMG_3585 (resized).JPGIMG_3585 (resized).JPGIMG_3586 (resized).JPGIMG_3586 (resized).JPG
#5672 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinbear:

Any idea how to fix the castle right door?
While in the castle door testing, it won't open fully. If I pushed it to fully open, it won't fully closed after.
Guess I need to take out the mini playfield ...

Quoted from LTG:

Allen head set screws holding door to motor shaft are loose. Item 7d on page C-37 in the manual.
Remove castle playfield. Remove door. Drop motor assembly down, tighten, reassemble.

Do I find the answer?

#5673 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinbear:

Do I find the answer?

If motor is turning and door isn't moving, yes.

#5674 5 years ago

I have had my wizard of oz about 6 weeks and now the castle doors are having a little problem. When I hit the castle doors, sometimes instead of opening all the way, they just indent a little bit instead of opening all the way. Once they are indented, if you hit the doors nothing happens. Then I have to let the doors reset to the normal position. The next time I hit the castle doors they usually open. This is happening intermittently and I don't know if it is a sign of something that will get worse.. I am sure this has been addressed and would appreciate the help.

#5675 5 years ago
Quoted from monte_:

would appreciate the help.

Sounds like the relay with the door latch below the castle playfield is out of whack.

#5676 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Sounds like the relay with the door latch below the castle playfield is out of whack.

Is there a thread on how to fix that?

#5677 5 years ago
Quoted from monte_:

I don't recall one. Instructions to remove the castle playfield are in the manual.

#5678 5 years ago
Quoted from monte_:

The solenoid 51 in the solenoid menu work properly and click?

#5679 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If motor is turning and door isn't moving, yes.

My case is the two mini socket cap screws (Item 7c on page C-37 for right castle door motor are loose.

Tighten them now works perfect.

#5680 5 years ago

The solenoid 51 in the solenoid menu work properly and click?

I tried the coil 51 test and didnt hear much when i pressed start button to make it fire. Is that the right test?

#5681 5 years ago
Quoted from monte_:

I tried the coil 51 test and didnt hear much when i pressed start button to make it fire. Is that the right test?

Make sure you pull out the white door switch post if testing with the door open.
That is the latch coil. It should click when tested, nothing else.
If it doesnt click then check the wires going to it, or check for binding of the door stop.

You will probably have to remove the castle playfield assembly to do a better inspection.

#5682 5 years ago
Quoted from monte_:

I have had my wizard of oz about 6 weeks and now the castle doors are having a little problem. When I hit the castle doors, sometimes instead of opening all the way, they just indent a little bit instead of opening all the way. Once they are indented, if you hit the doors nothing happens. Then I have to let the doors reset to the normal position. The next time I hit the castle doors they usually open. This is happening intermittently and I don't know if it is a sign of something that will get worse.. I am sure this has been addressed and would appreciate the help.

Sounds like a weak or worn motor. Or the screws on the shaft are loose.
Also if you have a loose connector there will be low power to the motor.
The door should snap open and be closed via the spring.

If the door works slowly it will catch behind the latch triggered by solenoid 51.
The software will reset it after awhile.

If it were me, I would remove the castle playfield using the instructions in the manual, replace the motor and inspect the whole assembly for proper operation.
Blue loctite on any and all screws while you have it out.

#5683 5 years ago

I noticed the auto plunger stopped working tonight. On multi balls, balls just pile up in plunger lane. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

#5684 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I noticed the auto plunger stopped working tonight. On multi balls, balls just pile up in plunger lane. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Physically binding up,
Wire fell off, cable disconnected, fuse etc...

#5685 5 years ago

Physically binding up,
Wire fell off, cable disconnected, fuse etc...

Shooter lane switch not working.

#5686 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I didnt think of that one!
Your the best Lloyd!

#5687 5 years ago

Man, I forgot how brutal WOZ is when set up properly. I took a little break from playing since I got a new pin and have largely been playing that one. But I came back to WOZ today, and it totally kicked my butt. Anyone who thinks the pin is slow and floaty hasn’t played a freshly waxed table at a 7 degree pitch with strong flippers. That ball was lightning fast, and the pin taxed all of my skills. I need to practice more.

#5688 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Thanks for the response. I will check for loose wires. Is that switch a standard part? Thank you.

#5689 5 years ago

Looks like the switch needs to be fixed. Can someone show me how to reassemble this loose part. How do I attach the black part? Thank you.

7108354C-A263-46F6-AAF0-A176CA4AE7EE (resized).jpeg7108354C-A263-46F6-AAF0-A176CA4AE7EE (resized).jpeg830DC99E-3773-4253-9651-2FE4E4857C65 (resized).jpeg830DC99E-3773-4253-9651-2FE4E4857C65 (resized).jpeg
#5690 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Looks like the switch needs to be fixed. Can someone show me how to reassemble this loose part. How do I attach the black part? Thank you.

The switch mounts on the tab, I circled it in the picture.
Look in the cabinet bottom for the screws and nuts that hold it on.
The black part goes between the switch body and the metal tab. Its an insulator

f7bf97df2bb5a9e84b98f7a75120664cb5155971 (resized).jpegf7bf97df2bb5a9e84b98f7a75120664cb5155971 (resized).jpeg
#5691 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Can someone show me how to reassemble this loose part.

Find the two screws on the floor of the cabinet.

The switch gets mounted to the bracket with the two holes. In order - Bracket - Fish Paper Insulator - Switch Body - Screws.

shooters (resized).JPGshooters (resized).JPG
#5692 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Man, I forgot how brutal WOZ is when set up properly. I took a little break from playing since I got a new pin and have largely been playing that one. But I came back to WOZ today, and it totally kicked my butt. Anyone who thinks the pin is slow and floaty hasn’t played a freshly waxed table at a 7 degree pitch with strong flippers. That ball was lightning fast, and the pin taxed all of my skills. I need to practice more.

Totally agree! One of the main reasons I will bring my WOZ to shows is to give people the opportunity to play a properly setup one. The game can just beat you up and really keeps you on your toes. Then when you do melt the witch (I’ve conceeded that’s as far as my skill will ever take me) its super rewarding.

#5693 5 years ago

The switch mounts on the tab, I circled it in the picture.
Look in the cabinet bottom for the screws and nuts that hold it on.
The black part goes between the switch body and the metal tab. Its an insulator

Thanks for your help everyone. I was able to find one screw and put it back together so it is working again. I did have a new problem occur, I kept getting a "skill shot" bonus every time a new ball would start. The skill shot bonus would increase in value with each ball. I tried loosening the screw a little and the problem seemed to go away. Is there a specific wire that controls the skill shot bonus? Seems odd this would be connected to the plunger. Thanks.

#5694 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Thanks for your help everyone. I was able to find one screw and put it back together so it is working again. I did have a new problem occur, I kept getting a "skill shot" bonus every time a new ball would start. The skill shot bonus would increase in value with each ball. I tried loosening the screw a little and the problem seemed to go away. Is there a specific wire that controls the skill shot bonus? Seems odd this would be connected to the plunger. Thanks.

If you only found one screw that's not enough to hold it securely as it will spin in time. I would search for it thoroughly in the cabinet with a flashlight Maybe. Or take out the existing screw and match it up at the hardware store and get a replacement. And then install the two screws. They have to be snug but not super tight as it will crush the switch body.

I have found that running a telescopic wand with a magnet on the end over and around the inside of the cabinet often finds lost screws that I could not see.

#5695 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I kept getting a "skill shot" bonus every time a new ball would start.

Please go into Test - Switches - Matrixed. See if skill shot switch is closed, or by banging on the playfield it registers. Probable needs a little adjusting.

Try and find the 2/56ths by 5/8ths screw and fill the other hole. If you tighten the single screw down to tight you might bind the switch and it won't work.

#5696 5 years ago

Right Castle door is stuck and won’t open - opens every once in a while during test? Any thoughts?

#5697 5 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

Any thoughts?

Door shaft loose on motor shaft ? Bad motor ? Latch below the playfield bent and not unlocking it ?

#5698 5 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

Right Castle door is stuck and won’t open - opens every once in a while during test? Any thoughts?

How old is your game?

And pretty much what Lloyd said.

#5699 5 years ago

Seems that right door is coming loose on a lot of machines. I had that issue and it seems a good few people are as well. Odd! Must be in the stars.... or the witch

#5700 5 years ago
Quoted from boomgopinball:

Seems that right door is coming loose on a lot of machines. I had that issue and it seems a good few people are as well. Odd! Must be in the stars.... or the witch

I have a feeling the right door is the one that gets bashed the most.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
There are 15,243 posts in this topic. You are on page 114 of 305.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-fan-club-members-only/page/114?hl=pinballjah and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.