BBC45EB9-37B4-430E-B770-C8403A8E8F1F (resized).jpeg
E83552FC-D020-4B19-AB41-9BAECAE0F624 (resized).jpeg
WOZ Service.pdf (PDF preview)
Photo Feb 18 2024, 9 45 03 AM (resized).jpg
IMG_3923 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3924 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5353 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,243 posts in this topic. You are on page 110 of 305.
#5451 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Check the monitor resolution as well...really old ones are connected via the VGA cable and have a slightly worse resolution.

Can the connection be upgraded to improve the resolution? Thanks.

#5452 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Don’t think so...it was a different screen.

#5453 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Not common for that one to have issues. But even if rare, it could be a problem. ( from tech support experience )
LTG : )

Quoted from DCFAN:

That was the one that went bad on me when my game was fairly new. The replacement has been solid.

I'm not sure what's wrong exactly but I'm meeting up with a nice guy this weekend to help me out.

#5454 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

You would need to check what the monitor supports.. I’m not certain if the use of VGA was do a monitor limitation or motherboard. If the monitor supports HDMI you can get a current generation motherboard on Amazon for about 50 bucks and swap it out.

#5455 5 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

You would need to check what the monitor supports.. I’m not certain if the use of VGA was do a monitor limitation or motherboard. If the monitor supports HDMI you can get a current generation motherboard on Amazon for about 50 bucks and swap it out.

You might be able to replace the main board CPU and monitor for less than what jjp charges for a monitor

Then you could use HDMI or DVI and get closer to 1080p resolution

#5456 5 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Be careful with this.

The most recent JJP games are equipped with a MSI H81M-P33 motherboard which has VGA and DVI video outputs. There is a version of that board - the H81M-E33 - that is supposedly exactly the same except it has VGA and HDMI.

I can tell you from experience that the E33 board does NOT work in Woz. As stated, according to MSI the boards are identical except for DVI vs HDMI but I think that is incorrect. There must be some type of difference in the video section of the board that prevents the Woz software from booting.

Also, P33 boards are drying up in the retail channel, so you might want to consider picking one up as a spare while you can still get one.

You can run a P33 in an older Woz, but you will have to upgrade the processor at a minimum. I went with an i3-4170 and stuck an 8gb stick of ram in it. The game now boots up a full 10 seconds faster than before and the animation transitions are much smoother.

As for 720 vs 1080, the capability of the monitor determines that. The software will automatically figure out what your monitor supports and run the appropriate resolution. 1080p will run just fine on a VGA cable. DVI is better, but you don't have to.

#5457 5 years ago

What are they currently putting in new build games?

#5458 5 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

What are they currently putting in new build games?

Don't know about POTC, but I know all new build WOZ, Hobbit and DI games are using the H81M-P33

#5459 5 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

**Snip**Currently I'm waiting to see if they ever release a 2.0 kit for the game (been talk of it for years now though).

It exists and it's available. I installed a kit in my early production game.

Call JJP and ask about it. Last I heard they were offering the kit for $800 or so for a limited time, then it was going to go up to $1100 or something like that. I could be wrong about that though.

#5460 5 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

Call JJP and ask about it. Last I heard they were offering the kit for $800 or so for a limited time, then it was going to go up to $1100 or something like that. I could be wrong about that though.

say what?
shit when was this?

think I've ask them about at least a dozen times.

#5461 5 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

btw thanks, I'll definitely be calling those guys tomorrow.

#5462 5 years ago

Hey guys anyone have a recommendation on the best dealer to order a woz RR from? The best price I have found is 9500.00 + shipping from automated. But I keep hearing I can get one for 9k but where?

#5463 5 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Hey guys anyone have a recommendation on the best dealer to order a woz RR from? The best price I have found is 9500.00 + shipping from automated. But I keep hearing I can get one for 9k but where?

Well, maybe you can’t get one for $9k anymore. Prices may have gone up over the last two years. I got mine for $9k from Automated plus a small fee for set up and delivery. But I was local to them and this was a couple years ago.

#5464 5 years ago

I got mine for $9100 shipped in 02/2017 from Automated. However, that was the super sleazy "We'll lie over the phone and tell you we're sending you a 2.0 machine, but we'll actually just send you our old inventory." price.

#5465 5 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

I got mine for $9100 shipped in 02/2017 from Automated. However, that was the super sleazy "We'll lie over the phone and tell you we're sending you a 2.0 machine, but we'll actually just send you our old inventory." price.

Ouch. That's not cool at all. I wish I had 2.0 in mine.

#5466 5 years ago

WOZ Ruby Red 2.0 is ON THE WAY !!!

What protection (cliffy’s etc ...) do I need to order for It??

Super excited !!!! Please let me know - Thx

#5467 5 years ago

2.0 kit ordered, sounds like its gonna be an ass-load of work!! I'm just happy they were able to release one.

Think the only other issue I had with this game was the sound, probably not a big issue either (never invested much time in trying to fix it). They did a great job building this machine overall.

#5468 5 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

2.0 kit ordered, sounds like its gonna be an ass-load of work!!

Nothing hard. More time consuming.

#5469 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Nothing hard. More time consuming.

is there any drilling involved from the top part of the playfield to make the holes bigger. Think that's the only part I might not be comfortable with. (wish I had a crap playfield to test on).

#5470 5 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

is there any drilling involved from the top part of the playfield to make the holes bigger. Think that's the only part I might not be comfortable with. (wish I had a crap playfield to test on).

None on top.

All underneath. ( mini playfields too ) Get a collar for your drill bit or wrap tape around it so it only goes so far into the wood for pilot holes for the small boards and frames for bag and hub boards. The ten big boards are an even swap, no new holes.

#5471 5 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

sounds like its gonna be an ass-load of work!!

A brief synopsis of my converting my WOZ to 2.0 ( they do come with good instructions Butch made up )

I didn't keep track of time, because I didn't really get a kit, I got a box of parts. And a few things were missing and I had to wait for them.

Turn game off. I disconnected all the data harnesses and power connectors from the LED boards. I stripped out all of them that I could do so easily. A few I cut close to bundles of wires and left bits in the harness so I wouldn't have to cut every cable tie under there. I pulled them out of the black plastic tube with all the wires and inserted new wires into the black plastic tube.

I removed the big boards and stuck in the new ones. Then removed all the small LED boards. Then stuck in new ones, I marked spots for new pilot holes and screws. I used one screw for each one, that is plenty. Carefully drilled the pilot holes. You might have to remount one or two so wiring reaches good.

Then I removed the castle playfield and spinning house playfield, removed old LED boards and wiring and stuck in new ones and wiring for power and ethernet. And put the mini playfields back in. ( a good chance to clean under there before you do. And watch so harnesses aren't so low under castle playfield they trap balls in the lanes back there )

Then swapped the power supply.

Then I installed all the ehternet cables. I replaced one foot long one with a two foot long one I bought, the shorter one was stretched tighter than I liked.

Then I installed all the power cables. Mine reaching up to the W9 LED board around the state fair balloon was short so I lengthened it. I zip tied some of the wiring.

Then powered it up. NO LIGHTS. F*CK ! That took awhile to figure out. I had power at all the LED boards and bag and hub boards. Frank figured out that my game had two USB cables on the front right side of the I/O board. One for switches, one for LED boards. I unplugged the LED boards one and voila we had 2.0 Lights.

I stripped out the unused LED USB cable. Then zip tied all the new wiring under the playfield so it looked nice.

It has been working fine ever since.

#5472 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

A brief synopsis of my converting my WOZ to 2.0 ( they do come with good instructions Butch made up )
I didn't keep track of time, because I didn't really get a kit, I got a box of parts. And a few things were missing and I had to wait for them.
Turn game off. I disconnected all the data harnesses and power connectors from the LED boards. I stripped out all of them that I could do so easily. A few I cut close to bundles of wires and left bits in the harness so I wouldn't have to cut every cable tie under there. I pulled them out of the black plastic tube with all the wires and inserted new wires into the black plastic tube.
I removed the big boards and stuck in the new ones. Then removed all the small LED boards. Then stuck in new ones, I marked spots for new pilot holes and screws. I used one screw for each one, that is plenty. Carefully drilled the pilot holes. You might have to remount one or two so wiring reaches good.
Then I removed the castle playfield and spinning house playfield, removed old LED boards and wiring and stuck in new ones and wiring for power and ethernet. And put the mini playfields back in. ( a good chance to clean under there before you do. And watch so harnesses aren't so low under castle playfield they trap balls in the lanes back there )
Then swapped the power supply.
Then I installed all the ehternet cables. I replaced one foot long one with a two foot long one I bought, the shorter one was stretched tighter than I liked.
Then I installed all the power cables. Mine reaching up to the W9 LED board around the state fair balloon was short so I lengthened it. I zip tied some of the wiring.
Then powered it up. NO LIGHTS. F*CK ! That took awhile to figure out. I had power at all the LED boards and bag and hub boards. Frank figured out that my game had two USB cables on the front right side of the I/O board. One for switches, one for LED boards. I unplugged the LED boards one and voila we had 2.0 Lights.
I stripped out the unused LED USB cable. Then zip tied all the new wiring under the playfield so it looked nice.

So what your Sayin is you are a pro at it and as the Great JJP Tech you are people can simply send there games to you and you will perform this service no charge because you Are the Man! My machine leaves tomorrow, Thank you so much Lloyd!

#5473 5 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

WOZ Ruby Red 2.0 is ON THE WAY !!!
What protection (cliffy’s etc ...) do I need to order for It??
Super excited !!!! Please let me know - Thx

Cliffy munchkinland is the only must.

#5474 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Thanks for the write up, doesn't sound to complicated. It'd probably take me a lot longer, without some type of instructions.
Other then the reason I'm doing this for, did you notice any other changes playfield lighting wise?

Quoted from LTG:

Then powered it up. NO LIGHTS. F*CK ! That took awhile to figure out. LTG : )

I'd be on ground crying or something. Hoping for a smooth transition.

#5475 5 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

doesn't sound to complicated.

More time consuming. Take your time, do a good job.

Quoted from hocuslocus:

without some type of instructions.

The instructions that come with are very good.

Quoted from hocuslocus:

did you notice any other changes playfield lighting wise?

Seemed a tiny bit brighter, richer colors. ( my opinion )

Quoted from hocuslocus:

Hoping for a smooth transition.

You'll do fine.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5476 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The instructions that come with are very good.

Will these be posted somewhere? I would love to read them before deciding whether to purchase the upgrade.

That said, I kind of doubt I will pull the trigger on this. Just reading your description made me start to sweat.

#5477 5 years ago

I just got my wizard of oz rr about 3 weeks ago and have some small issues.

1. The sound has a chronic buzzing/humming noise when it starts up and a faint one when playing. Any way to fix this?

2. The vuk on the left takes 3 or 4 tries to pop the ball out. Is this a true defect that is common or do i do an adjustment to the vertical up kick power?

3. The ball gets stuck on the right inlane sometimes on the metal wire that sticks up. Just live with it or is there a fix?

4. What does the rescue lock award do for you? I believe i have gotten it randomly from throne room, but i cant remember.

Thanks for the help.

#5478 5 years ago
Quoted from monte_:

1. The sound has a chronic buzzing/humming noise when it starts up and a faint one when playing. Any way to fix this?
2. The vuk on the left takes 3 or 4 tries to pop the ball out. Is this a true defect that is common or do i do an adjustment to the vertical up kick power?
3. The ball gets stuck on the right inlane sometimes on the metal wire that sticks up. Just live with it or is there a fix?
4. What does the rescue lock award do for you? I believe i have gotten it randomly from throne room, but i cant remember.
Thanks for the help.

#1 You can check to see if you have a noise filter attached. If not, you can ask JJP for one or buy one. Some people have also had luck rerouting wires, but I’m not sure how. There is a post about it somewhere in this lengthy thread.

#2 In the settings, you can individually adjust coil power. Up that one incrementally until it has enough juice.

#3 Maybe attach a picture. If it is sticking on the switch, I think you can probably adjust the height somewhat from under the playfield, perhaps by bending it slightly. Someone else will know for sure. I haven’t had to adjust a lane switch.

#4 Rescue multiball, qualified by the castle playfield, is a 2 ball MB unless you lock additional balls before it starts. The random throne room award just awards you an extra lock so an additional ball at start.

#5479 5 years ago
Quoted from monte_:

yeah I had the same issue with mine. If you pop the bottom panel off there are noise isolaters (little black box, under the silver panel) for the sound. I was told to try to take that out. ( i didn't)
Also I did upgrade the RCA audio cables. In my other games this makes a difference when I have issued like this. Getting an RCA that is a little better quality can make a huge difference most of the time, especially if your picking up ground noise.

Seems like a lot of people put those crappy monoprice RCA's in. they look good and thick, but they kind of suck. you can tighten the end of the RCA's so the connection is a little more secure. just get needle nose and slightly bend in the rca enough to where it will still attach to its mating connection but to where it more secure.

forgot that I did attempt a fix before I brought it home. I haven't heard it pop in a long time.

#5480 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You'll do fine.

yeah, I'm actually looking forward to it.
thank u.

#5482 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

**Snip**

LMAO! I made the exact same mistake. I forgot to unplug the "800" USB connector from the I/O board.

And I did the same. Stripped out all of the old wiring, etc. Much cleaner that way.

#5483 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Will these be posted somewhere? I would love to read them before deciding whether to purchase the upgrade.
That said, I kind of doubt I will pull the trigger on this. Just reading your description made me start to sweat.

It really isn't that bad. If you have enough mechanical ability to rebuild flippers and other mechs or do stuff like rebuild WMS GI connectors, etc, then you can pull this off.

#5484 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I have them, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send them to you.

#5485 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I have them, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send them to you.

Thanks! Just did.

#5486 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

PM me your email address and I'll send you them.

#5487 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

PM me your email address and I'll send you them.

Is there an echo in here??

#5488 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Is there an echo in here??

What What What ? ? ?

#5489 5 years ago

Finally got to put in some actual time on a woz... well 2 of them actually st the golden state pin all festival. Man! I love it what a great game. I just kept coming back for more.

That upper playfield is so challenging and fun, same with the House. The sounds and light show WOW. Seriously one of the best and most beautiful games out there

#5490 5 years ago

Finally got to put in some actual time on a woz... well 2 of them actually st the golden state pin all festival. Man! I love it what a great game. I just kept coming back for more.
That upper playfield is so challenging and fun, same with the House. The sounds and light show WOW. Seriously one of the best and most beautiful games out there

Glad you got a chance to get some games in! The ECLE there is ours and we love sharing it as much as having it and talking with people about it. The game is such a masterpiece I just want as many people as possible to have the chance to play one setup to play right hoping that some appriciate the game as much as we do.

Unfortunately, it looks like I may have a GI light going out by the left outlane. Oh well, those are cheap, I’ll check it out in the morning. JJP parts wouldn’t be open tomorrow would they?

#5491 5 years ago

It truly is a Masterpiece. I can't see ever letting mine go. If you don't have Pinstadium for WOZ, you should. It helped me get my best score to date.

#5492 5 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

The game is such a masterpiece

Quoted from Skyemont:

It truly is a Masterpiece

I agree with merccat Skyemont masterpiece!

I've had my WOZ 75 for nine months.First nib for me and an ideal theme.I've had a couple of light boards go out in that time and the oz lane slingshot rubber broke early,but have had some really helpful local support and supply on rectifying these problems.

I'm really enjoying the crystal ball targets.The way they mostly get hit from the right slingshot.A first time last night was a skill shot award from those targets for 10 k,didn't know about that!
WOZ is one of the last machines I'll ever let go.I wish JJP every success into the future.

#5493 5 years ago

An amazing machine for sure ... my NIB WOZ 75th 2.0 is shipping tomorrow and I am super pumped. Need to order the Cliffy kit tomorrow - nervous about removing some of those parts to install ... ugh. I promised myself that my next machine will be a JJP and I can say my goal is to one day own them all.

** Is the clear Mylar Button Protectors needed?

So happy that JJP took a chance in taking Pinball to the next level - talk about the ultimate leap of faith, and wow did he nail it! I know people can be very critical at times but seriously, there wil always be challenges (its pinball) and everyone’s taste is different but for me, those that say WOZ isn’t for them didn’t actually give it a chance. In my opinion there is no other game move innovative, beautiful, adventurous and fun. Thank you Jack for taking your dreams to new heights and placing them into a playable machine for us all to enjoy. I for one hope that you continue to dream, continue to step outside the box and continue to create a wonderful past time for all of us to enjoy. Wishing you and your TEAM nothing but the best! Keep flipin’ - Beez

#5494 5 years ago

If JJP#5 is Toy Story, added to the fact it's a Lawlor machine, and plays like DI, I will be VERY tempted to sell my EC.

But everyone here is correct:

The game is a masterpiece.

#5495 5 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

If JJP#5 is Toy Story, added to the fact it's a Lawlor machine, and plays like DI, I will be VERY tempted to sell my EC.
But everyone here is correct:
The game is a masterpiece.

Don’t sell a masterpiece... ADD to it!

#5496 5 years ago

Speaking of adding to it... The PotC game at the Golden State pinfest is amazing. Like other JJP games, it's in a different league. The playfield, rules, artwork, video animations, toys, etc. etc... the game is a work of art. You can just feel the love that went into it.

It's a real shame jjp was slapped around for sharing their work before it was finished. I relish the opportunity to send constructive feedback while there is still time to make improvements. I doubt they'll risk an early preview again so it's going to be awhile before we hear about game #5. It will be finished and ready to buy.

#5497 5 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

It's a real shame jjp was slapped around for sharing their work before it was finished.

Always happens. Remember all the flak for trying to show WOZ when you could only play two balls, weak flippers, when they were trying to show the direction they were going ? No amount of saying flipper coil power could be increased in future software lessened the blow back.

Quoted from Reznnate:

I doubt they'll risk an early preview again

No sh*t.

#5498 5 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

An amazing machine for sure ... my NIB WOZ 75th 2.0 is shipping tomorrow and I am super pumped. Need to order the Cliffy kit tomorrow - nervous about removing some of those parts to install ... ugh. I promised myself that my next machine will be a JJP and I can say my goal is to one day own them all.
** Is the clear Mylar Button Protectors needed?
So happy that JJP took a chance in taking Pinball to the next level - talk about the ultimate leap of faith, and wow did he nail it! I know people can be very critical at times but seriously, there wil always be challenges (its pinball) and everyone’s taste is different but for me, those that say WOZ isn’t for them didn’t actually give it a chance. In my opinion there is no other game move innovative, beautiful, adventurous and fun. Thank you Jack for taking your dreams to new heights and placing them into a playable machine for us all to enjoy. I for one hope that you continue to dream, continue to step outside the box and continue to create a wonderful past time for all of us to enjoy. Wishing you and your TEAM nothing but the best! Keep flipin’ - Beez

I just ordered Cliffys for a few of my games. He is 2 months behind. Your RR needs them,worth the wait. I put a full set on my RR as soon as I got it. I got mine new, soon as it came out, build- 11-2014. Never had light board issues. It will always be with me.

#5499 5 years ago

I finally ground off the point on the clear plastic outside of the castle vuk it was causing a ball hang at least once a day there was driving my wife crazy.

20180520_184356 (resized).jpg20180520_184356 (resized).jpg

I carefully dremeled off the point and cleaned it up with a file

20180520_190309 (resized).jpg20180520_190309 (resized).jpg

No more ball hang there

20180520_190401 (resized).jpg20180520_190401 (resized).jpg

#5500 5 years ago

I have a RR from 10.1.2014. My lights are still working, but its been home use only. When I've had a problem, turning off the machine and waiting and then turning it back on solved it. I'm wondering if its worth ordering the 2.0 kit just in case, or should I just not worry about it until a problem happens.

Thoughts?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
There are 15,243 posts in this topic. You are on page 110 of 305.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-fan-club-members-only/page/110 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.