Crystal Ball.jpeg
Haunted.jpeg
YBR.jpeg
RescueMB.jpeg
Twister.jpeg
ECMB (resized).jpeg
Skill Shots (resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

This is not exhaustive by any means, but I put these together to explain the game to a friend and thought they might be useful to others.

As with POTC, the game is many simple goals stacked together.

Here are the skill shots:

Skill Shots (resized).jpegSkill Shots (resized).jpeg
#2 3 years ago

Emerald City Multiball

ECMB (resized).jpegECMB (resized).jpeg
#3 3 years ago

Twister Mode / 10+ loops for Munchkin Mode (there are 4)

Twister.jpegTwister.jpeg
#4 3 years ago

RESCUE Multiball

RescueMB.jpegRescueMB.jpeg
#5 3 years ago

Yellow Brick Road completion - lights Extra Ball at 10, more rewards as you go

YBR.jpegYBR.jpeg
#6 3 years ago

Haunted Scoring Modes (there are 4)

Haunted.jpegHaunted.jpeg
#7 3 years ago

Crystal Ball modes

Crystal Ball.jpegCrystal Ball.jpeg
#8 3 years ago

Very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to put this together!

#9 3 years ago

Well done my friend!!

#10 3 years ago

Just hit the flashing shots. Wait! They’re all flashing!

Just kidding. Nice graphics. Simple and understandable.

#11 3 years ago

Just got a YBR LE and have been wondering about much of what your playfield diagrams show. Thanks for putting those together, big help!

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

RESCUE Multiball[quoted image]

Since you mentioned the 1-letter spot, I would add the 2-letter spot for getting the ball behind the doors.

Just a suggestion.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Crystal Ball modes
[quoted image]

One more suggestion would be to include how to change the crystal ball modes by hitting the Ball targets. Four different colors for each mode. If someone is good at hitting the targets, they can select which of the 4 modes they want to start by changing to a different color. I learned this later while playing and it nice to know the modes are not random.

Nice instructions by the way!

Please do not take it as criticism. The thoughts just entered my head when I was reviewing your pics.

#14 3 years ago

I’ve owned this game for probably 4 years or so and while I’ve learned most of this already, this is the simplest example I’ve probably seen for explanations. Thanks for taking the time. It’s still an amazing game that blows me away with all its depth.

#15 3 years ago

Thanks for putting this together, nice job.

#16 3 years ago

It is worth noting that for your skill shot I usually full plunge the first time to hopefully hit the WINGED and MONKEY targets to prep rescue multiball. Lots if strategy in this game. I mean lots.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#17 3 years ago

Thanks it’s great!!!!!

Have you done or plan to do any others??

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Thanks it’s great!!!!!
Have you done or plan to do any others??

I think POTC was already well covered by another Pinsider...I guess I could do one for Wonka though.

#19 3 years ago

Nice!!! I’ve had my RR since April and play a lot of pinball at a pincade .Im trying to understand why this pin is not a top 5 on list .I can’t think of a single game I’d rather own .Im purchasing 4 pins altogether including IMlob this week and WOZ is the only one I will never let go !!

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

Please do not take it as criticism. The thoughts just entered my head when I was reviewing your pics.

Not at all! These pics were made for a friend in the context of "what do I do in WOZ?" I never intended it to be comprehensive; there is a lot of nuance left out and I'm happy for the discussion to help fill in the gaps.

#21 3 years ago

Push start
Flip balls
Have fun
Repeat

I apply this same strategy to all games.

All joking aside, I try to get at least rescue multiball, ECMB, a witch mode and a munkin mode down to one more shot to start, then start rescue and start the others during rescue. Occasionally I’ll get HFMB in there too. Easiest way to high scores and to melt the witch in my opinion.

#22 3 years ago

The graphics are great. It would be extra helpful if the steps were numbered in chronological order.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Yellow Brick Road completion - lights Extra Ball at 10, more rewards as you go[quoted image]

The orbits and Ramp alternate for advancing YBR.

#24 3 years ago

How do I get to the final wizard mode? I've owned the game for three years and never got to the final wizard mode. I can score tons of points 4-5mm, which seems reasonable but it seems a bit repetitive.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

RESCUE Multiball[quoted image]

Might want to explain what's required to capture Dorothy since Rescue MB will not start unless you've done that first. Nice work!

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Yoxxy:

How do I get to the final wizard mode? I've owned the game for three years and never got to the final wizard mode. I can score tons of points 4-5mm, which seems reasonable but it seems a bit repetitive.

From the PAPA rulesheet: https://papa.org/2015/05/wizard-of-oz-rulesheet/#_Toc419660907

Collect all 8 Jewels to light SOTR at the ramp. The 8 jewels that must be collected are listed below and method of collection described in more detail above.

Complete Wicked Witch Battle (liquidate the wicked witch)
Master Fireball Frenzy (collect 10 jackpots)
Start Munchkin Multiball (play all munchkin modes)
Travel the Yellow Brick Road (advance 50 times)
Complete Emerald City Multiball (collect 3 gifts)
Start Flipper Frenzy (play all crystal ball modes)
Complete Rescue Multiball (score a mega jackpot)
Start Haunted Forest Multiball (play all haunted modes)

Without a doubt the hardest one is to complete Rescue Multiball, I've been close once and that's it. It is like a final wizard mode unto itself it's so difficult.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

From the PAPA rulesheet: https://papa.org/2015/05/wizard-of-oz-rulesheet/#_Toc419660907
Collect all 8 Jewels to light SOTR at the ramp. The 8 jewels that must be collected are listed below and method of collection described in more detail above.
Complete Wicked Witch Battle (liquidate the wicked witch)
Master Fireball Frenzy (collect 10 jackpots)
Start Munchkin Multiball (play all munchkin modes)
Travel the Yellow Brick Road (advance 50 times)
Complete Emerald City Multiball (collect 3 gifts)
Start Flipper Frenzy (play all crystal ball modes)
Complete Rescue Multiball (score a mega jackpot)
Start Haunted Forest Multiball (play all haunted modes)
Without a doubt the hardest one is to complete Rescue Multiball, I've been close once and that's it. It is like a final wizard mode unto itself it's so difficult.

That's the one I've never beat. I'm going to take the glass off just so I can see how it works.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from Yoxxy:

That's the one I've never beat. I'm going to take the glass off just so I can see how it works.

It's a little crazy, three shots each to: the Crystal Ball (one of which is very likely to start a CB mode making the subsequent shots even harder), the left orbit through the pops, the Winkie drop target, ramp, right orbit and throme room. So that's a total of 18 shots. Then you have to light RESCUE by hitting all the corresponding targets on the Mini-Playfield, this open the doors but you have to shoot the ball through the Escape loop and immediately through the castle doors to collect the Mega-jackpot (the value of this jackpot is just obscenely low for how hard it is to collect). One caveat, be sure you don't collect a Super Jackpot on the upper PF or it resets your progress towards the mega and it's value is very low as well.

1 week later
#29 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

(...) Without a doubt the hardest one is to complete Rescue Multiball, I've been close once and that's it. It is like a final wizard mode unto itself it's so difficult.

I get to the halfway point about 25% of the time (Ding Dong The Wicked Witch is Dead), so I can say that Rescue MB is the toughest of the 4 starting crystals, but not too hard if you learn to trap the ball on the castle upper PF and shoot the 'search' loop. If your timing isn't great, it also helps to try to get the ball to the upper PF during any multiball modes and just smack away. Get a few letters each time and you'll have it soon enough. Another trick is to trap the ball, let it roll to the tip and hit that flipper once and then trap again. Usually the ball makes a more sideways trajectory that will ricochet a few times and get a couple letters before trapping once again.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from Mechulus:

I get to the halfway point about 25% of the time (Ding Dong The Wicked Witch is Dead), so I can say that Rescue MB is the toughest of the 4 starting crystals, but not too hard if you learn to trap the ball on the castle upper PF and shoot the 'search' loop. If your timing isn't great, it also helps to try to get the ball to the upper PF during any multiball modes and just smack away. Get a few letters each time and you'll have it soon enough. Another trick is to trap the ball, let it roll to the tip and hit that flipper once and then trap again. Usually the ball makes a more sideways trajectory that will ricochet a few times and get a couple letters before trapping once again.

Yeah, starting it isn't that bad but finishing it to progress to SWOTR is nearly impossible for most players.

2 weeks later
#31 3 years ago

cristal ball modes do have end other that loss balls and keep the last?
because sometims when you have weak flippers and you are in multiball its hard to go on the ramp!

1 week later
#32 3 years ago
Quoted from Thot:

cristal ball modes do have end other that loss balls and keep the last?
because sometims when you have weak flippers and you are in multiball its hard to go on the ramp!

They continue until you are no longer in Multiball, they will not time out.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-explanation-of-basic-rules-goals?hl=mechulus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.