Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by ledge
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Hi guys I am thinking of purchasing a WOZ. I have tried to do the research on the differences of each model, but am getting mixed answers. I would love it if someone could post all the differences between each model(regular, LE, and 75th). Sorry if this has already been answered before.

#3 9 years ago

Well in particular, I read that the Emerald Edition has invisiglass, and I think that is extra on the 75th edition. That is the kind of thing I am curious about. The wife and I really like the Ruby Red, but we have an emerald available to us right now and we are trying to decide between the two.

#4 9 years ago

I believe the Ruby Red might have tornado and others mods/things not available on the WOZ LE or standard editions?
I believe Gameplay is the same on all of the editions.

#5 9 years ago

Emerald is going to have a shaker motor and invisiglass standard. In addition, it has green legs and ramps and an awesome plaque signed by the team who worked on it.

Standard has silver legs and ramps, and the invisiglass and shaker motor are going to be +$250 each.

The Ruby Red has a shaker motor standard and invisiglass available for purchase. It also has red legs and ramps. The big thing is the molded castle walls (in the upper playfield), molded toto toy (aesthetic) and molded tornado (aesthetic), and lollipop stickers on the rainbow targets. It also has a special animation during attract mode.

All three models come with their own unique toper with the 75th being the coolest among them. The 75th toper, castle walls, and molded toys will also be available for purchase from JJP down the road.

Gameplay wise, they all play exactly alike.

#6 9 years ago

Thanks alichino, that is the kinda info i was hoping for. It sounds like the invisiglass is actually kind of a big "downgrade" from the Emerald Edition.

Also, they didn't fix the dark GI in the 75th did they?

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from loppydog:

Thanks alichino, that is the kinda info i was hoping for. It sounds like the invisiglass is actually kind of a big "downgrade" from the Emerald Edition.
Also, they didn't fix the dark GI in the 75th did they?

loppydog, take a few minutes and send Jack an email with all of your questions/concerns. I have done this in the past and Jack has always responded, usually the same day! This way you get everything address at once!

#8 9 years ago

No problem loppy!

I ordered a standard and definitely added the shaker and the invisiglass. The original idea behind it was that it's, simply put, better than ordinary glass and Jack was sparing no expense. How much it's better, though, is anyone's guess, really. I've heard people say they don't notice a difference, and I've heard people say it's a big difference. Don't quote me at all on this, but it really depends on the type of ambient light you get. If it's bright lighting pointed directly at the playfield, you're definitely going to notice a glare (PAPA has one section that's infamous for its afternoon glare). If it's softer light, say, pointed at the ceiling and diffused, you likely won't see much of a glare with normal glass.

HOWEVER, with WoZ especially, the ambient lighting isn't as bright as some of the newer Sterns (ST will burn a hole in your retina), and the thinking goes that the LCD can cast a glare. I'm not sure if anyone can comment on that or not (what with Standards not having shipped yet).

Can anyone who's seen before and after comment on this?

#9 9 years ago

What? Standards have not shipped?!

#10 9 years ago

Standards have been shipping along with the LE's. I have one in stock if you are interested. Ruby Red 75ths are going to be shipping in the next few weeks. So if you are interested in either you will be able to get one pretty quickly.
I had a WOZ LE in my showroom and now have a RR 75th. I really don't notice any glare on the RR without the Invisiglass. There is definitely a difference in the two glasses but its just that the Invisiglass doesn't look like there is even any glass on a machine and you can reach down into the playfield as opposed to regular playfield glass IMHO.

Larry
Flip N Out Pinball

#11 9 years ago

Yeah; maybe I should qualify that a little. The machines have been shipping mostly in the order received, which means that all the LEs go out before the standards. My understanding is that said, the cabinets come from different venders, so when there's some slack on the number of LEs that can ship, they start shipping standards. LEs are either just finishing or have just finished their production run, so the number of standards that have shipped are much less than the number of LEs. Probably, at this stage, by a factor of 10.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from alichino:

No problem loppy!

Can anyone who's seen before and after comment on this?

It's obviously just my opinion but Invisiglass makes only a minor difference. If I didn't point it out to someone they would never know. I have it on 3 of my games now (WOZ being one since it came with it) and it only made a minor difference. I think the $10 glare guards work at least as well ... although, with WOZ having an LCD (and not just a DMD) I'm not sure if a standard glare guard could block all the light from an LCD.

As for differences on the LE games ...
Yes, the 75th has red trim/powdercoating instead of green (but applied to all the same parts)
I thought the 75th edition still came with Invisiglass but perhaps not (I'd be surprised though.)
The 75th edition has the 4 additional toys:
- Toto in a basket
- Upgraded/additional castle walls
- The tornade model behind the house
- 3D emerald city plastic in the back right of the playfield
75th edition has its own unique topper (which most agree looks much nicer than the 'green' LE's topper)
75th edition has red-tinted backglass
75th edition has a custom message on the bottom of the backglass "75th Anniversary Limited Edition"
75th edition has a custom splash screen on the LCD
75th edition has a custom red apron with graphics as opposed to the 'green' LE's wooden topper with just signatures on it. It's just my opinion but the 75th edition with custom graphics looks nicer than a bunch of reproduced signatures (it would have been nice if they were real signatures.)

That sums it up I think.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

It's obviously just my opinion but Invisiglass makes only a minor difference. If I didn't point it out to someone they would never know. I have it on 3 of my games now (WOZ being one since it came with it) and it only made a minor difference. I think the $10 glare guards work at least as well ... although, with WOZ having an LCD (and not just a DMD) I'm not sure if a standard glare guard could block all the light from an LCD.

And I have the opposite opinion. In my house I have 4 of my nicer games right in my living room (WOZ being one of them). So I have windows and normal lighting. I love the Invisiglass on them. So right now two games have it in there, and two don't. It is very noticeable. My WOZ has always had it, but the real difference was when I tossed a sheet into Tron. So if you have any stray light in the room, I think it is worth it.

And (jeepers, I hate saying this in front of everyone because of the possible feeding frenzy), it the ECLE is the older 5 volt boards, I'd pass. But if it is 7.5, it should be fine. There were issues with the older ones that they fixed along the way. I'm not saying every 5 volt game is bad, some run perfectly, but there is more risk of issues.

Outside of that, no matter which version, the game is a blast to play.

#14 9 years ago

Thanks guys that really helps. I wonder how much it would cost to buy those toys and install them onto the Emerald? I suppose we wont know until they release them for sale. In my case, there is about a $1400 difference between the models, and both would be NIB. I think the choice is obvious, but i like to hear opinions.

I don't care too much about the trim color, but my wife does like the red better.

#15 9 years ago

Didn't one of the versions not have the crystal ball....???..........Joey

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from loppydog:

but my wife does like the red better.

Guess you will be getting a Ruby Red then......lol..............Joey

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from loppydog:

Thanks guys that really helps. I wonder how much it would cost to buy those toys and install them onto the Emerald? I suppose we wont know until they release them for sale. In my case, there is about a $1400 difference between the models, and both would be NIB. I think the choice is obvious, but i like to hear opinions.
I don't care too much about the trim color, but my wife does like the red better.

If you buy the toys as a 3-piece set (they're available now) from Matt at Backalleycreations.com it's $350 (for Toto, the castle walls, and tornado plastic). Or at least it was ... that deal was supposed to end 5/31 but the website doesn't appear to be updated with a new price:
http://www.backalleycreations.com/bac%20main%20frame%20page.htm

The Emerald City mod is $50 separately. All will cost additional shipping.

To the other person's question on the crystal ball ... no, all games have the crystal ball. All differences were noted in my post.

Keep in mind with the 75th anniversary ... the MSRP is $9000 .. but most distributors will sell it far under that (that is only the suggested price.) I hate to say it but I think the 75th edition is the nicer LE (offering more) and chances are they will sell less than 1000 of them and it will be the more "rare" edition.

#18 9 years ago

OH, I almost forgot ... I believe you also get the "lollipop" target decals with the 75th edition. Those only cost $15.50 though:

http://www.pinballsales.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=160

And no, the 75th does not have upgraded GI. There are a few vendors selling their own GI upgrade kit for WOZ now in the $100 - $200 range.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Guess you will be getting a Ruby Red then......lol

lol

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Keep in mind with the 75th anniversary ... the MSRP is $9000 .. but most distributors will sell it far under that

Do you happen to know of one? Everyone I called was about MSRP.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from loppydog:

Do you happen to know of one? Everyone I called was about MSRP.

No, sorry. Since I already had a green LE I never bothered getting quotes (albeit I was told this was the case specific to the 75th edition ... that there is some good "wiggle room" on the MSRP.)

You might consider an out of state distributor (although a state closest to you) so you can avoid paying sales tax. The shipping cost is likely cheaper. Or you might even want to just call pinballsales.com directly (JJP's offical sales company) and talk to Jen and see what the best possible deal they can give you is. They get great shipping quotes (due to their volume) and can be the easiest to work with.

#22 9 years ago

My state has no sales tax I will try pinballsales thanks!

#23 9 years ago

One last side note ... the 75th edition comes with decals on the sides of the cabinet. The green LE's were built earlier on when JJP had a vendor capable of doing "direct print" to the cabinet and then clearcoating it (that vendor partnership seems to have deteriorated.) Jack from JJP has stated that few people can tell the difference (both are high-res printings regardless). I have never seen the 2 side by side .. but I would think there is a slight noticeable difference with the direct-print being slightly nicer. But who knows.

#24 9 years ago

All versions have the Crystal Ball.

#25 9 years ago

The

Quoted from CraZ4Pin:One last side note ... the 75th edition comes with decals on the sides of the cabinet. The green LE's were built earlier on when JJP had a vendor capable of doing "direct print" to the cabinet and then clearcoating it (that vendor partnership seems to have deteriorated.) Jack from JJP has stated that few people can tell the difference (both are high-res printings). I have never seen the 2 side by side .. but I would think there is a slight noticeable difference with the direct-print being slightly nicer. But who knows.

Early standards also had direct printed cabs and will be the rarest version if all 75ths get made. Mine is a standard with direct ink and the cab is spectacular.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

The

Early standards also had direct printed cabs and will be the rarest version if all 75ths get made. Mine is a standard with direct ink and the cab is spectacular.

Yep, agreed. Newer 'regular' editions will obviously have decals going forward. But yep, even if all the 75ths don't get made the 'regulars' with direct-print (and numbered apron) could certainly be the most rare (although maybe not the coolest edition, lol). The green LE's will likely be the most made version period. Sad truth there.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from loppydog:

You can buy all the toys at backalleycreations.com

http://www.backalleycreations.com/bac%20main%20frame%20page.htm

#28 9 years ago

Perhaps another thing worth mentioning is that if you are buying direct from JJP, you can pay to have them factory install a Playfield Protector for you when the playfield is being built if you feel it's worth it. An extra $150 add-on.

http://pinballsales.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=157&idcategory=0

#29 9 years ago

So if this emerald edition was just made, would it have the direct print?

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from loppydog:

So if this emerald edition was just made, would it have the direct print?

Yes all the emerald greens have direct print.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Yes all the emerald greens have direct print.

Well, that was the plan anyway (I believe.) Since the last of the Emeralds are still being made I'm not sure if any received decals? Hopefully the vendor delivered and customers got the direct print.

#32 9 years ago

Thanks guys, after looking at all the toy add-ons I really think I like the LE for the price. And getting Invisiglass is a nice bonus too! I think I may take the plunge.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Well, that was the plan anyway (I believe.) Since the last of the Emeralds are still being made I'm not sure if any received decals? Hopefully the vendor delivered and customers got the direct print.

Mine from about two weeks ago had direct print. It is like decorative porcelain to the touch.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from loppydog:

Thanks guys, after looking at all the toy add-ons I really think I like the LE for the price. And getting Invisiglass is a nice bonus too! I think I may take the plunge.

I broke down and ordered Matt's (backalley creations) castle walls last week. I went with Mezelmods tornado with lightning effects.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from Dalbok:

Perhaps another thing worth mentioning is that if you are buying direct from JJP, you can pay to have them factory install a Playfield Protector for you when the playfield is being built if you feel it's worth it. An extra $150 add-on.
http://pinballsales.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=157&idcategory=0

I don't think this is necessary for a home game. But, hey. The important thing (to me) is that all 3 versions have exactly the same rules and gameplay. So everything else is just secondary cosmetics.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

All of the Emerald LEs are direct print, and all of them will be.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

All of the Emerald LEs are direct print, and all of them will be.

Can you tell the difference from the cabinets with decals?

And since you seem "in the know", will Hobbits have direct-print or decals?

#38 9 years ago

Once emeralds are done direct print will be no longer. Maybe a few left overs but hobbit forward will not be direct print.

#39 9 years ago

And the hobbit decals looks great

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Once emeralds are done direct print will be no longer. Maybe a few left overs but hobbit forward will not be direct print.

That's a shame. Bummer.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

That's a shame. Bummer.

Well, I agree. But I understand the decision. The direct print cabs are stunning. Unfortunately from everything I understand, the provider of them sacrificed a long term revenue stream for short term leverage. So in the end it comes down to conflicting business decisions between two companies. The good part is that decals done well also look really good. And if you put my feet to the fire I'd say it wouldn't matter. My next JJP game is going to be decals, and I'm sure that will be fine (I'm looking at you Pat)

#42 9 years ago

I saw WOZ cabs with decals and direct-print together at the JJP open house. Not much of a visual difference at all. Maybe a bit of gloss, corners are different if you look closely. But the artwork looks just as good on both, and from even a few inches away (who stares at cabs from a few inches away?) both look great. FAR better than traditional cab art quality.

#43 9 years ago

personally, if i had the option, I'd go for the ECLE over the 75th, clear coated cab, wood apron, inivisglass and shaker incl, then you can cherry pick what you want of the new mods that come on the 75th, example, i like the mezelmods lit tornado as apposed to the non-lit one that comes on the 75th. just my .02

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

personally, if i had the option, I'd go for the ECLE over the 75th, clear coated cab, wood apron, inivisglass and shaker incl, then you can cherry pick what you want of the new mods that come on the 75th, example, i like the mezelmods lit tornado as apposed to the non-lit one that comes on the 75th. just my .02

Yep, plus green looks way better than red on it.

#45 9 years ago

I have seen them both and would opt for the red.

I just think it looks nicer. I also like the idea that you most likely won't see too many of them.

#46 9 years ago

Thanks for the reply's guys. I decided to go with the Emerald and it should be arriving next week. I had the same thought as arcadenerd, I could always add toys if I felt like it later. I have not seen the red in person, but I agree it might look a little nicer. I have seen the green in person and it looks really nice!

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from loppydog:

Thanks for the reply's guys. I decided to go with the Emerald and it should be arriving next week. I had the same thought as arcadenerd, I could always add toys if I felt like it later. I have not seen the red in person, but I agree it might look a little nicer. I have seen the green in person and it looks really nice!

Good choice...the red trim doesn't match the cab well IMO. I like the 75th topper best, and like the standard version topper better than the LE one. I mean, emerald city...hello...shouldn't the topper for the emerald city version be the emerald city???? Add the castle walls and you have the best version.

#48 9 years ago

Good choice (tho nothing at all against the 75th, I agree with pimp77, i like the 75th topper better) I would suggest the lit tornado and the lit winkie drop target from mezelmods for sure. Also, I'd go ahead and at least get the munchkinland playfield edge protector cliffy. Congrats and enjoy.

#49 9 years ago

I have not even thought about cliffy's. I would like to know a little more about wear on the PF.

#50 9 years ago

I've had mine over 7 months, the only wear ive seen was from the ball hitting the PF edge of munchkin land when hitting the glinda target to the right side or missing the ramp. Cliffy fixes that. Although cliffy makes various protectors for the the diff VUK's i decided not to go that far. I keep it cleaned and waxed and with the extremely limited amount of plays mine gets @home, that is good enough for me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Tuscaloosa, AL
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Jackson, MICHIGAN
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-differences and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.