New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 73593)

WOZ Crapped itself **FIXED**

By wdpvideo

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 128 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by musketd
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

diaper.jpg
image.jpg
image-988.jpg
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG
Powersupply.jpg
Audioboard.jpg
Mainfuseboard.jpg
motherboard.jpg

There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

So, I went it to turn on WOZ and play a game. The screen said "No input connection". Check all the wiring and nothing loose. I mean the game hasn't moved so they can't just jump off but I have to look. The fan was not turning there are no lights on the motherboard nor the key which I thought lit up. Could be wrong, The fan on the computer box was not turning. Not booting up at all, I guess I'll have to call them tomorrow. Oh this sucks, it doesn't even have 60 game on it yet.

motherboard.jpg
Mainfuseboard.jpg
Audioboard.jpg
Powersupply.jpg

#2 6 years ago

No fans and no video input. Maybe power supply.

#3 6 years ago

That's what I am thinking. but would the other boards light? Also, the headset box lights

#4 6 years ago

Get the paperclip out and test jump the PS.

#5 6 years ago

Jump start the motherboard. If your metal cover over the box with the boards has a label that says "Reset Switch Inside", dig around and find it. They hide it so you don't push it accidentally.

If you don't have the label, then you'll need to briefly short the two pins on the motherboard a computer start button would plug onto.

That should do it.

Email me if you'd like pictures where to short the two pins. service AT jerseyjackpinball DOT com.

LTG : )

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

Get the paperclip out and test jump the PS.

Green and black wire. LAST RESORT.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Jump start the motherboard. If your metal cover over the box with the boards has a label that says "Reset Switch Inside", dig around and find it. They hide it so you don't push it accidentally.
If you don't have the label, then you'll need to briefly short the two pins on the motherboard a computer start button would plug onto.
That should do it.
Email me if you'd like pictures where to short the two pins. service AT jerseyjackpinball DOT com.

Can you post a pic?

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Can you post a pic?

The ones I have are too huge.

#9 6 years ago

Omg, is that really what the CPU looks like on this machine? That is a creaking mess....

+1 to what is said above. Also, be sure to check your fuses. Not sure about WOZ but that sound like power just isn't making it to the CPU.

Hope you get it fixed. I hear jjp has good support so you should be fine.

#10 6 years ago

I hope this worked. Connector JFP1 and I tried to draw white lines around the two pins to briefly short.

photo 2.JPG
#11 6 years ago

And now that I learned how to work it, here is a better picture of the pins to briefly short on JFP1.

photo 2.JPG
#12 6 years ago

Take a beer cap & short out all the prongs until the fan kicks on

If it doesn't work you're prolly right it's the PS

Disclaimer: I don't work @ JJP

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

If it doesn't work you're prolly right it's the PS

99.99% of these it's not the power supply.

#14 6 years ago

Holy smokes Batman the reset button worked! YEAH!!! Both fans kicked in and we are good to go! wonder what happened? Oh well the OZ can now get back to Kansas. Ok, I suck at WOZ so that last part will never happen. Thanks guys for all your input. I took me a while to find the rest button I guess the BIG RED TAG that reads "RESET". wasn't big enough.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

99.99% of these it's not the power supply.

image-988.jpg
#16 6 years ago

This exact same issue happened to my woz a few days ago. Really surprised there's not been a button update or something so we don't have to go shorting pins in the game to get it started back up! I'm a fairly techy person but I can't say I am a fan of having to short stuff in a 7k pin to make it work

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

wonder what happened?

It's rare. I've seen it on one or two machines when set up and they were dead in the water on first power up. I've heard of one or two others for no apparent reason.

More common is someone turns the game on, and before it is fully powered up they turn it off. Or flip the on/off switch a bunch of times. Then you'll be dead in the water and doing this.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from gamestencils:

Really surprised there's not been a button update or something so we don't have to go shorting pins in the game to get it started back up!

Go to a computer store and get a start button and harness and plug it on.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Go to a computer store and get a start button and harness and plug it on.

Can you post a pic of where those pins are found on the board? Thanks.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

It's rare. I've seen it on one or two machines when set up and they were dead in the water on first power up. I've heard of one or two others for no apparent reason.
More common is someone turns the game on, and before it is fully powered up they turn it off. Or flip the on/off switch a bunch of times. Then you'll be dead in the water and doing this.

Oh that would make scents as my pins are on a switch hooked up to the Crestron system (House lighting). My kids most likely flipped the pins on then back off. I have gotten on to them before for this as it's not good to power cycle the pins before they boot-up or any electronics for that matter. We will blame mom this time! Love you honey !

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Can you post a pic of where those pins are found on the board?

The two pins you short on the picture I posted above on JFP1, plug it on there.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

Oh that would make scents as my pins are on a switch hooked up to the Crestron system (House lighting). My kids most likely flipped the pins on then back off. I have gotten on to them before for this as it's not good to power cycle the pins before they boot-up or any electronics for that matter. We will blame mom this time! Love you honey !

Mine are on similar switches and I actually place some artwork over them so they wouldn't just flip them on and off.

#23 6 years ago

And thank you to Ken Holland for the big picture I cut up and colored on.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The two pins you short on the picture I posted above on JFP1, plug it on there.

Thanks

#25 6 years ago

This happened to mine on Thanksgiving. My nephew tried to turn the game on himself and when it didn't go on right away he probably flipped the switch on and off quickly a few times. Lloyd sent me that giant close-up pic on what to short and it worked like a charm but I could see this being an issue that comes up once in awhile especially if there are kids in the house.

#26 6 years ago

Lloyd, might be worth tossing the motherboard manual in with the game...

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

Maybe a change of thread title is in order? Operator error?

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Lloyd, might be worth tossing the motherboard manual in with the game...

Would have been nice months ago. Since they started adding the reset switch, probably not necessary now.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Would have been nice months ago. Since they started adding the reset switch, probably not necessary now.

Where is the reset switch now Lloyd? Thanks!

#30 6 years ago

The whole idea of needing a "reset switch" is lame. And obviously this start failure is not as rare as the great one believes if it happened to a couple of people within the last week or so. Someone - likely a kid - turns on the switch, nothing happens (computer is booting), and then they turn the switch off (and maybe on) as an instinctive reaction.

Someone at JJP should develop a watchdog board that whacks the CPU on the side of the head with a 2x4 - I mean, electronically presses the "reset switch" - if the mobo doesn't start running within a few seconds after power on.

#31 6 years ago

we had a local one do this.
reset button fixed it right up.

the backglass wasn't illuminating before - just had a red led on up there somewhere.
reset button was inside the computer case.

Easy to get going again. Not sure why it needed "reset" but haven't gotten a call back on it for several weeks after.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

Where is the reset switch now Lloyd? Thanks!

If the big metal box in your game has a label on it that says "Reset Switch Inside", your game has one buried inside the metal box, so it can't be hit accidentally. Easy to dig around and find, or follow the wires from JFP1 to it. If no label on the lid of your metal box, no reset switch.

#33 6 years ago

Lol, the Intel stock fans are horrible, I would replace it if at all possible with something else more heavy duty.

#34 6 years ago

Thanks LTG!

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from jadziedzic:

And obviously this start failure is not as rare as the great one believes if it happened to a couple of people within the last week or so.

Really ?

I'm only speaking from 7 months experience doing JJP tech support. What do I know.

#36 6 years ago

Yes, really - three instances since Thanksgiving is not "rare", especially when you're dealing with a small sample size (at most a few hundred games across all Pinside owners). But please do go on deluding yourself that this is not a problem with the design ...

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from jadziedzic:

The whole idea of needing a "reset switch" is lame. And obviously this start failure is not as rare as the great one believes if it happened to a couple of people within the last week or so. Someone - likely a kid - turns on the switch, nothing happens (computer is booting), and then they turn the switch off (and maybe on) as an instinctive reaction.
Someone at JJP should develop a watchdog board that whacks the CPU on the side of the head with a 2x4 - I mean, electronically presses the "reset switch" - if the mobo doesn't start running within a few seconds after power on.

a watchdog won't work on modern motherboards because they contain a built in voltage cutoff failsafe. Msi, Asus, etc.. Introduced it about 18 months ago to deal with power loss.

The reason this occurs is because the owner flips the power off/on in rapid succession. The failsafe in the motherboard treats this as a potential spike and doesn't honor the last power state. This ensures that no devices downstream of the mobo plugged into powered ports ( USB ) don't get destroyed in a surge. This is in direct response to mainstream complains about folks phones and other devices getting destroyed by surges. And before anyone asks this is a hardware interrupt. Not something that can be changed at a bios level.

Go check out the inside of any new arcade game that's pc based. All have a reset switch for this same reason.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from jadziedzic:

Yes, really - three instances since Thanksgiving is not "rare", especially when you're dealing with a small sample size (at most a few hundred games across all Pinside owners). But please do go on deluding yourself that this is not a problem with the design ...

Ok big guy. You can go tell intel/msi/Asus that their design sucks.

I'm sure they will listen to you...

Right from the msi page below.

Owners need to count to 10 before powering their game back on after a cycle so the caps drain.

P.s. Lloyd stop being so delusional . It's those cold winters where you are.

image.jpg
#39 6 years ago

I think this is just one of the negatives we have to deal with in order to get all the positives that come with this setup. Its the same with my flat screen hdtv and DirecTV. It takes about 10 seconds from the time I turn them on to the time I get that great picture and 300 channels of programming. It takes about 3 seconds between changing the channel and the picture and sound coming up. It can be frustrating considering I grew up with a tv that tuned in immediately when I turned it on and the channels changed immediately when I turned the knob. But I only had maybe 7 channels and I love Lucy was on 3 of them.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I think this is just one of the negatives we have to deal with in order to get all the positives that come with this setup. Its the same with my flat screen hdtv and DirecTV. It takes about 10 seconds from the time I turn them on to the time I get that great picture and 300 channels of programming. It takes about 3 seconds between changing the channel and the picture and sound coming up. It can be frustrating considering I grew up with a tv that tuned in immediately when I turned it on and the channels changed immediately when I turned the knob. But I only had maybe 7 channels and I love Lucy was on 3 of them.

The only thing a user has to do to prevent it is turn the game off, count to 10 and turn it back on when they want to cycle it

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

Holy smokes Batman the reset button worked! YEAH!!! Both fans kicked in and we are good to go! wonder what happened? Oh well the OZ can now get back to Kansas. Ok, I suck at WOZ so that last part will never happen. Thanks guys for all your input. I took me a while to find the rest button I guess the BIG RED TAG that reads "RESET". wasn't big enough.

Mine did the same thing this week. Lyod helped me with the problem and all it took was hitting the reset button, but like you , I had a problem finding the big white tag with the big red letters saying " RESET ". I felt awful stupid after I found it. LOL

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

The only thing a user has to do to prevent it is turn the game off, count to 10 and turn it back on when they want to cycle it

Well I know that and you know that but that little 7 year old stinker Nicholas apparently doesn't and although I told him not to touch it, the little bugger found the switch and did it anyway.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Maybe a change of thread title is in order? Operator error?

I agree kinda, Operator error is a little harsh, That has never been explained to the owners this is a problem, I assume my kids did it but we all know what assuming does. So is the operator really to blame?

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Well I know that and you know that but that little 7 year old stinker Nicholas apparently doesn't and although I told him not to touch it, the little bugger found the switch and did it anyway.

LOL! That I know ohh too well.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

It makes sense that the motherboard does this safeguard. The problem is that the game should be designed to have easier access to the reset functionality.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

P.s. Lloyd stop being so delusional . It's those cold winters where you are.

Hey get me one of the staff shirts from the party and I'll be warmer.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

It makes sense that the motherboard does this safeguard. The problem is that the game should be designed to have easier access to the reset functionality.

The switch is inside the cage on purpose. To prevent folks on location from hitting it

the tag on the inside is pretty big with red bold letters that says "RESET" on it.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Hey get me one of the staff shirts from the party and I'll be warmer.

Haha I don't even have a staff hoodie. I'm going to ask jack about that. Hahah.

#49 6 years ago

Stop posting and package code

#50 6 years ago

He is probably just typing away here as it uploads. Right?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.95
There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside