Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by markmon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I thought these were just standard GI-type sockets, and replaced the white LEDs there with green ones I had around that I got from Marco a long time ago. They looked great, but when I started smelling plastic burning about an hour later, I checked the machine and realized that the two lights in the door had lost brightness and were literally melting in the sockets. Both of them had blackened bases that were drooping. I couldn't touch them to pull them out because they were molten hot, but I got them out with pliers and let them cool.

Now, I'm afraid to put anything else in there! What's the voltage of those sockets? Are they somehow different from GI?

#2 8 years ago

I was just poking around the coin door looking for 12v and seem to recall the coin slot bulbs were 12v. I am not home so can't check but that is what I think I saw on my DMM

#3 8 years ago

12 Volts

LTG : )

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

12 Volts

That's the problem, then. Looking the bulb up on Marco's site, they were 6.3v LED bulbs:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/05-555G-HO

What LEDs should I be using in these that will run on 12v?

#5 8 years ago

Search on Ebay for green led 12v wedge/194. They are in my game and look great.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

12 Volts

I'm just curious why. Is that to run a bill validator at the door? Or are all the lights... well I already know they are not 12 volts at all the lights because they were 5v and 7.5v.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I'm just curious why. Is that to run a bill validator at the door?

No idea why.

Bill validator is 110AC.

#10 8 years ago

Probably because all the other insert LEDs are on 5v, using 12v keeps circuit loads more balanced.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Probably because all the other insert LEDs are on 5v, using 12v keeps circuit loads more balanced.

Seems like marking the socket plastic with a 12v or something would prevent issues like bulbs melting in them. At least that would give someone a clue that they were not standard sockets.

#12 8 years ago

I've never replaced an led but aren't the bulbs marked? Wouldn't the bulb removed have to voltage marked?

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

I've never replaced an led but aren't the bulbs marked? Wouldn't the bulb removed have to voltage marked?

Yes, after the fact, I went and pulled out the bulbs that were originally in it and they were marked, but that's less important than marking the socket that looks like all the other ones and will accept 5v or 6v LEDs (until they start melting). I had no reason to look closely at the bulbs I took out. At a casual glance, they looked like all the others, and the writing's way too small to read without glasses.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

but that's less important than marking the socket that looks like all the other ones and will accept 5v or 6v LEDs

Like people that put #555 in White Water's topper - they blow out, should be #194.

Or people that stick #555 in #906 sockets.

I don't think anyone ever marked a socket. Check the manual or put a meter on it.

#15 8 years ago

I believe the spotlights are 12v also.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

I believe the spotlights are 12v also.

Yes they are.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yes, after the fact, I went and pulled out the bulbs that were originally in it and they were marked, but that's less important than marking the socket that looks like all the other ones and will accept 5v or 6v LEDs (until they start melting). I had no reason to look closely at the bulbs I took out. At a casual glance, they looked like all the others, and the writing's way too small to read without glasses.

Woz doesn't have 6.5v bulbs anywhere. The 5v led inserts are not bulb sockets. You make it sound like it's so crazy to think you should have looked at the bulb you removed. But that's what any sensible person should have done. No one marks sockets. So yes, you definitely had "reason to look closely at the bulb" you took out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 91.00
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.95
$ 5.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-coin-door-lights-voltage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.