Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by dluth
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Turned my WOZ on and the balls kept firing out of the trough and autoplunging themselves. The throne room VUK was firing and the ramp ball lock was going up and down. I can't remember if the winkie drop target which is also on this circuit was firing, likewise the ball divertor.
I opened the coin door to stop them, and noticed they were all on the J106 orange wire circuit. This is associated with fuses 701 and 706 which I checked (pulled them out and tested) and they were fine.
The trough VUK ended up with the black tip falling off.
I have checked for obvious things like whether there is any metal touching the coil lugs and haven't found anything. Just waondering what the next step. I'm a bit rusty on testing transistors but I would be surprised if they are the problem seeing as there are a few different coils on that circuit firing.
Just turned on the machine again after a break and now just the Auto-launch and the ramp ball lock are firing. The throne room VUK and the trough VUK have stopped.
It's a RR75 LE, built late 2014.

#2 6 years ago

It's not a coil issue, but an opto issue. Go into switch test and see how the related optos for those mechanisms are registering. They probably run on 12v.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

It's not a coil issue, but an opto issue. Go into switch test and see how the related optos for those mechanisms are registering. They probably run on 12v.

Thanks, I forgot to mention, I did go into switch test and didn't find anything untoward. And one bad switch wouldn't affect more than one coil would it?

#4 6 years ago

Go look behind the board chassis on the back left corner there are plugs for the optos - small connectors with black and red wires. These can get snagged and become unplugged if the playfield is moved in or out. Each of these feeds power to an opto control board under the playfield and if one becomes unplugged you will lose all of those optos at once resulting in behavior like you describe.

#5 6 years ago

It's most likely trying to clear a ball out or find a missing ball due to an opto, or multiple optos registering as closed instead of open. As others have suggested go into the switch test and look at the status of all the optos, if nothing stands out there test each of the optos with a long screwdriver or something and see if they are all registering properly. And remember that the optos are still part of the switch matrix so a broken wire elsewhere in the chain can cause problems just like any other switch.

#6 6 years ago

Just to report back on this...thanks for your answers you were all right it is an opto problem. Column 1 and 2 in the switch matrix were green, which I assumed was good, but of course is bad (there were no balls in the trough at this time).
I have actually fixed the column 2 optos by wiggling the connector at J202. A bit dodgy as a bit more of a wiggle and it could go back to bad again, not sure how to fix it permanently.
With column 1, the trough optos, they are still out. I have reseated the connectors at the trough, at the back of the board chassis and at J200. No change. Not sure what to do next...

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Just to report back on this...thanks for your answers you were all right it is an opto problem. Column 1 and 2 in the switch matrix were green, which I assumed was good, but of course is bad (there were no balls in the trough at this time).
I have actually fixed the column 2 optos by wiggling the connector at J202. A bit dodgy as a bit more of a wiggle and it could go back to bad again, not sure how to fix it permanently.
With column 1, the trough optos, they are still out. I have reseated the connectors at the trough, at the back of the board chassis and at J200. No change. Not sure what to do next...

Do you have a multimeter so that you can read the +5vdc at the trough? Also, check the two blade fuses near the front edge of the I/O board. They are both tied to the switch matrix. If you have a meter, do continuity check between J201pin1 on the I/O board and the same wire on the switch connector at the trough receive board. Since that wire (green w/black trace) is common to the entire column 1, it may be broken somewhere in between.

#8 6 years ago

Problem fixed!
A thousand thanks to Bud who patiently took me through it on the phone. It turned out the connector at J201 was also a bit dodgy and reseating it and wiggling it a bit got the trough switches back online.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 24.50
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 91.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 5.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-coils-firing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.