Topic Stats

• 294 posts
  • 86 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Nokoro
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1551 (resized).JPG
reefer_madness (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 9.26.41 AM (resized).png
IMG_0059.JPG (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 3.21.33 PM (resized).png
20170623_085618 (resized).jpg
IMG_4760 (resized).JPG
IMG_1266 (resized).JPG

There are 294 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
#151 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Little numbers are momentarily floating above the main score to show switch hit values.

Ok thanks. Similar to the floating scores in TH.
I'm going to pay attention to that and then I'm going back to 6.11
A few other changes I see in my game on the new code and want to see if they are not there in 6.11.
And lyonsden, your post was funny, I'll give you that. Strange program that analyzes that this thread is negative overall. I don't see that. Computer must be wrong.

#152 2 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

Alright WoZ crew, my apologies for rubbing so many people the wrong way. I felt the thread was pretty negative, made that comment, and then responded with an objective analysis when people thought I was wrong. My methods are what they are, but I laid them out so others could repeat them. I have no idea why that upsets some folks (feel free to PM me if you like to discuss further), but I'm just going to back away slowly and not make any more sudden moves.

Don't make me break out my slide rule! lol

#153 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Little numbers are momentarily floating above the main score to show switch hit values.

Not just switch hit values, but whatever you just scored: jackpots, etc...it's awesome!

#154 2 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

Alright WoZ crew, my apologies for rubbing so many people the wrong way. I felt the thread was pretty negative, made that comment, and then responded with an objective analysis when people thought I was wrong. My methods are what they are, but I laid them out so others could repeat them. I have no idea why that upsets some folks (feel free to PM me if you like to discuss further), but I'm just going to back away slowly and not make any more sudden moves.

Nah, all is good. I guess others like myself just feel that we were only mentioning the effects that we liked in 6.11 that are no longer in 6.50 and hoping for a return in 6.51 (hint hint Keith). Overall we love the strides they have done with this game and coding and the support has been nothing less then outstanding.

Now let's drink and play another game.......

#155 2 years ago

The ball in reverse thing....am I missing something? I see on the display "ball 1/3" I've only played one player games. Is that why?

#156 2 years ago
Quoted from Guzz4851:

The ball in reverse thing....am I missing something? I see on the display "ball 1/3" I've only played one player games. Is that why?

You have to turn the Ball in Reserve feature on in the game settings.

#157 2 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

You say that, but. . .
So I took all the pages from this thread, did a very quick level of parsing to extract out all the messages, and then sent them through a Sentiment Analysis (Natural Language Processing using Python NLTK Text classification: http://text-processing.com/demo/sentiment/)
The thread is more negative than positive (the model used for this analysis is used to analyze movie reviews and comments, so relatively speaking, a good model for pinside data).
People are appreciating the hard work and commitment of the JJP team, but the sentient of this thread has a negative bias.

Listen, if you've got that kind of free time, I've got some mulch that needs to be installed.

#158 2 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Nah, all is good.

Quoted from DeathHimself:

support has been nothing less then outstanding.

Stop being so negative!

#159 2 years ago

I hesitate to even say this, but the missing lightshows are due to a bug due to a change in a very low level system that caused conflicts with how Oz did some lightshows. We didn't notice it because tbh we haven't been playing Oz daily for quite a few months now.

So, it'll get fixed, I'm sorry, didn't mean to take them out, and the cause was something completely unrelated to the lightshows themselves.

#160 2 years ago

Yes, Yep, agree, agreed, correct, plus, add, do, fantastic, great, terrific, positive, outstanding, up, upward, affirmative, absolutely, right, sure, yeah, ya, okiedokie....

#161 2 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

I hesitate to even say this, but the missing lightshows are due to a bug due to a change in a very low level system that caused conflicts with how Oz did some lightshows. We didn't notice it because tbh we haven't been playing Oz daily for quite a few months now.
So, it'll get fixed, I'm sorry, didn't mean to take them out, and the cause was something completely unrelated to the lightshows themselves.

Does that also cover the better sepia toned TNPLH now being a less appropriate white?

Oh, and does the new WoZ build fix the lockup problem on some (probably original, first year) WoZ that started with the jump to the new Ubuntu core in 6.xx? No one seems to know in support, so I thought I'd ask you! We're still stuck on 5.05 because every 6.xx version has to be reverted due to the lockups that happen within 24 hours after being turned on/rebooted.

#162 2 years ago

It's cool. I'll wait. And thanks for fixing that...it means the world to us shallow people.

#163 2 years ago

Awesome news, and thanks for letting us know so it isn't the topic of discussion for months to come. Regardless of what anyone might think, we really do appreciate all of your efforts.

#164 2 years ago

Awesome! Thank you!

And, to make this thread more positive, in celebration, I personally agree to put in beelzeboob's mulch. Just tell me where I find the rake.

#165 2 years ago

Keith You Guys Rock!!!!

That's why it's always great to have another set of eyes on things for sometimes they do catch things that were an oversight, even if it's our aging eyes lol. Glad you followed this thread and read our discussion.

Everybody to Beelzeboob's house for mulching party!!!!!!

#166 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Listen, if you've got that kind of free time, I've got some mulch that needs to be installed.

images (resized).jpeg

#167 2 years ago

Thanks for update as always!!!....I'm sticking w new code, and content on waiting for fix....great machine!!!....mark

#168 2 years ago

Some nice looking posters about to come out.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/these-new-wizard-of-oz-posters-are-trippy-as-hell-1796436285

Would look nice next to a pin.

Hope I get to try out the new code soon.

#169 2 years ago
Quoted from wizzard:

I noticed another small bug. When I hit targets for small points (250/ 450/ 650), they were shown in the display - but they were still there for about half a second when the display has already swapped to the "main display" (well, the one with the four main targets).
Strange, that didn't happen before...

and that's the reason, thank you.

Quoted from DCFAN:

#170 2 years ago

The code madness runs deep in you.

reefer_madness (resized).jpg

#171 2 years ago

Well I was very glad to know that JJP did this update, but so it is only my opinion, did not correct the light when played the way the witch melts, and most importantly I can not understand, you enter the final mode '' Somewhere Over the Rainbow ', and does not have an end, I'm sorry JJP, Oz is the best machine there is in the market, I mean the complex game, but not having an ending is very sad, so Stern is not even talk is unfortunate, Older machines like AMFM, Medieval, TOTAN, and others have an end, this is the most expected by a player, I am more a player than a collector, but I respect all opinions, well that's it.

#172 2 years ago
Quoted from Sylk-7:

Well I was very glad to know that JJP did this update, but so it is only my opinion, did not correct the light when played the way the witch melts, and most importantly I can not understand, you enter the final mode '' Somewhere Over the Rainbow ', and does not have an end, I'm sorry JJP, Oz is the best machine there is in the market, I mean the complex game, but not having an ending is very sad, so Stern is not even talk is unfortunate, Older machines like AMFM, Medieval, TOTAN, and others have an end, this is the most expected by a player, I am more a player than a collector, but I respect all opinions, well that's it.

#173 2 years ago

Can someone summarize the best changes? I haven't played one yet with this code and understand there are release notes but curious as to what made the biggest impact to the WOZ club?

#174 2 years ago
Quoted from Sylk-7:

Huh?

#175 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Can someone summarize the best changes? I haven't played one yet with this code and understand there are release notes but curious as to what made the biggest impact to the WOZ club?

I personally love the floating scores and ball reserve features that were added.

#176 2 years ago

+1 on floating scores and reserve mode

Also love the daily high score add, although for me it's obnoxious but guests love it.

Also fixes the winki ball jam issue (at least I can no longer replicte it).

Some more subtle light effects added even though a few old ones accidentally got dropped (but sounds like will be back soon).

#177 2 years ago

nice - floating scores sounds interested. What is that exactly?

#178 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

#179 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

nice - floating scores sounds interested. What is that exactly?

It's used in a lot of video games, but typically for hit point (aka health) reduction. For example, when the elf attacks the magic bear, a little "50" might appear above the magic bear and float upward for a second. This tells you that the elf did 50 points of damage to the magic bear.

In the case of Woz, it's additive (not damage). When you hit a target, a little 50 appears above your score and floats upward for a second. When you hit lots of targets, you'll see several numbers (apparently somewhat randomly spaced) floating upward for a second or so.

It's nice.

Two games come to mind immediately that do it: (1) Diablo 3 and (2) Boarderlands

#180 2 years ago
Quoted from altan:

It's used in a lot of video games, but typically for hit point (aka health) reduction. For example, when the elf attacks the magic bear, a little "50" might appear above the magic bear and float upward for a second. This tells you that the elf did 50 points of damage to the magic bear.
In the case of Woz, it's additive (not damage). When you hit a target, a little 50 appears above your score and floats upward for a second. When you hit lots of targets, you'll see several numbers (apparently somewhat randomly spaced) floating upward for a second or so.
It's nice.
Two games come to mind immediately that do it: (1) Diablo 3 and (2) Boarderlands

It's nice when you've worked up a nice jackpot shot and hit it. You can look up and see how much the shot was worth.

#181 2 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

+1 on floating scores and reserve mode
Also love the daily high score add, although for me it's obnoxious but guests love it.
Also fixes the winki ball jam issue (at least I can no longer replicte it).
Some more subtle light effects added even though a few old ones accidentally got dropped (but sounds like will be back soon).

Well that's awesome news on the winkie ball jam issue, esp. since you tried to duplicated it after the code update!
I've already melted one Winkie Guard coil and glad it's fixed. I'll just patiently await the lights fix from Keefer when he gets time. No way I'm rolling back my code update just because of some missing low level light shows.

#182 2 years ago

What is the Winkie Ball Jam issue?

#183 2 years ago

Kudos to JJP with this update. JJP continues to differentiate themselves by committing to code updates. This is the reason I will continue to pay for their products. It is near impossible to code a pinball machine correct out the door. Code updates are the only way to get it right. I think Stern is running so darn fast with so many new releases, they simply don't have the bandwidth built into their business model to do solid code updates. Hopefully JJP doesn't fall into that trap.

#184 2 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

Kudos to JJP with this update. JJP continues to differentiate themselves by committing to code updates. This is the reason I will continue to pay for their products. It is near impossible to code a pinball machine correct out the door. Code updates are the only way to get it right. I think Stern is running so darn fast with so many new releases, they simply don't have the bandwidth built into their business model to do solid code updates. Hopefully JJP doesn't fall into that trap.

I agree with this 100%. Their support for WOZ is unprecedented. Best game purchase I've ever made.

#185 2 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

What is the Winkie Ball Jam issue?

Its was a rare thing that could occur if the ball gets stuck between the plastic over the winki and the winki as it is resetting where the coil will lock on since the target can't reset with the ball there. It is pretty rare for the ball to get stuck like that in the first place and even then 9 times out of 10 the coil will not lock on anyway.

It existed in 6.06 and was resolved by 6.11 not sure about any earlier versions.

The coil isn't going to instantly burn out though so if you have multiball going and can knock it loose with your next shot or two you'll be fine, otherwise just turn the game off and let it release.

The only danger is if the game is if nobody notices and leaves it like that. The coil will edventually die and need replacement.

#186 2 years ago

is there gonna be an update soon to fix these 6.5 bugs i dont wanna update 6.5 if there is.

#187 2 years ago

I am sorry to ask this...but a
how do I get the 6.5 update code

#188 2 years ago
Quoted from RichieWrench:

Download it, install it

#189 2 years ago
Quoted from RichieWrench:

Go to jerseyjackpinball.com, go to Support, go to Downloads. 6.5 delta is there, along with instructions.

LTG : )

#190 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Oh, and does the new WoZ build fix the lockup problem on some (probably original, first year) WoZ that started with the jump to the new Ubuntu core in 6.xx? No one seems to know in support, so I thought I'd ask you! We're still stuck on 5.05 because every 6.xx version has to be reverted due to the lockups that happen within 24 hours after being turned on/rebooted.

Please tell me more about this. I've got a game that locks up seemingly randomly, but at least once a week.

I've tried absolutely everything I can think of except downgrading...maybe I'll give that a go.

What kind of lock up happens on the ones you've seen? Video? Lights? Reboot brings it back I assume?

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#191 2 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Please tell me more about this. I've got a game that locks up seemingly randomly, but at least once a week.
I've tried absolutely everything I can think of except downgrading...maybe I'll give that a go.
What kind of lock up happens on the ones you've seen? Video? Lights? Reboot brings it back I assume?
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

Playfield is still active, screen is locked, accepts and tracks money. Start button unresponsive. When you reboot, all the money people put in while it was "locked up" is represented in credits the machine was tracking but unable to show. This behavior started with the first 6.xx version, due to the new Ubuntu core they switched to. 5.05 is rock solid on the same machine. It seems to be happening on machines from the early run for some reason. Haven't figured that out yet. We run 5.05 at the location just so we have a reliable machine, but I'd love to get back to the 6's.

#192 2 years ago

if you install this fw, does it change the games played, balls played like stern machines? Or do JJ machines not allow someone to reset the stats on play (balls, games) as it's locked?

Also - this ball reserve feature. Does it just provide a better way to see balls that remain?

#193 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Does it just provide a better way to see balls that remain?

It sounds like it's just changing the way extra balls are played. Instead of them being immediately after current ball, they're shoved to the end of the regular 3-ball game. That way, if you have a 4p game and P1 has 3 extra balls and nobody else has any, players 2 3 and 4 don't have to sit there bored to tears waiting on this one guy to play 3 extra balls, he just gets them after player 4 finishes their last ball.

#194 2 years ago

thanks frax makes sense

#195 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

Playfield is still active, screen is locked, accepts and tracks money. Start button unresponsive. When you reboot, all the money people put in while it was "locked up" is represented in credits the machine was tracking but unable to show. This behavior started with the first 6.xx version, due to the new Ubuntu core they switched to. 5.05 is rock solid on the same machine. It seems to be happening on machines from the early run for some reason. Haven't figured that out yet. We run 5.05 at the location just so we have a reliable machine, but I'd love to get back to the 6's.

Thanks for this. This is exactly what's going on with this game. Funny how JJP has never heard of the issue and gives random suggestions on finding the cause.

I'll get v5.05 in there and see how it goes.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#196 2 years ago

does it reset your play stats though (like stern does)?

#197 2 years ago

This update doesn't. Full updates will. You can save your stats settings etc before updating to be safe.

#198 2 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

This update doesn't. Full updates will. You can save your stats settings etc before updating to be safe.

Ok thanks. Would full updates also change lifetime play stats too? If so seems like you can never get a true read on how many plays the machine has

#199 2 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Thanks for this. This is exactly what's going on with this game. Funny how JJP has never heard of the issue and gives random suggestions on finding the cause.
I'll get v5.05 in there and see how it goes.
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

JJP is DEFINITELY aware of the issue. I talked to Jack about it at PAGG trying to get it some attention after messing with it for almost a year (installing the latest 6.xx, finding it was still there, then reverting to 5.05 so we had a reliable machine, every time a new 6.xx came out), and Lloyd's WoZ has the same problem.

Definitely post or PM me when you try 5.05. I'm 99% sure that will fix the issue for you. The Ubuntu core they moved to starting with 6.00 has documented issues with drivers that cause this exact problem for PC users, too, so I'm certain that's the problem. It's also likely the reason for the annoying Hobbit sound popping that happens if you leave it on - also a documented issue with that flavor of Ubuntu. There ARE workarounds posted from PC users having the issues with their computers that seem to work, so it's super-frustrating this issue is still a "thing" on some WoZ machines.

#200 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Ok thanks. Would full updates also change lifetime play stats too? If so seems like you can never get a true read on how many plays the machine has

It's not an odometer on a used car, and shouldn't be used as such.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8,500.00
Pinball Machine
PinballSTAR Amusements
$ 28.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
There are 294 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside