• Latest reply 11 years ago by chocky909
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“How should WOZ present call outs?”

• Custom call outs acted by impersonators 17 votes
    27%
  • Sound clips from the film with pinball call outs done by 'narrator' characters 39 votes
    63%
  • Other (explain in your post) 6 votes
    10%

(62 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tommigun.jpg
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

I'm hoping this will remain on topic and I don't really want to hear from anyone accusing me of starting this thread for 'hateful' reasons. This thread comes from a desire to call out to those working on the machine and hopefully improve the finished game. I've already mentioned my feelings about the sound on the latest demo of WOZ but I was interested to see if I was in the minority or not so decided to start a poll.

For those that don't know what my concerns are, JJP decided to audition impersonators of all the major WOZ characters and give them pinball specific phrases to say. We were told about this and it sounded promising. However, it appears that JJP have decided to use these impersonators exclusively in the game rather than using any actual clips from the film. When pressed, Jack said that there are no pinball callouts in the film and that mixing real and fake speech would sound bad and that the movie clips would sound 'old' compared to the newly recorded speech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JYmfq1apDuQ

I'm linking to some of the recent video where you can clearly hear the kind of thing that I'm talking about. Now, in my opinion, the impersonations range from OK to quite poor and they also seem to be saying phrases that aren't in the film and aren't particularly pinball specific either. Also, when multiball starts we get a genuine clip from the film with actual speech. I would assume there will be more real film clips on the LCD in the finished game. This makes the theory of keeping all the voices the same redundant I think.

The way I see it is that The Wizard Of Oz is one of the most watched movies of ALL time and we've heard those voices a million times and they are imprinted in the minds of most Americans and many others around the world. That's what everyone wants to hear, that's what everyone EXPECTS to hear.

Nearly all movie tie in pinballs use actual speech from the films and it works well. Part of the creativity is deciding what clips you can use where and that is a huge part of the fun of it all. See how much fun everyone is having in the Predator thread picking their favourite quotes and deciding what kind of action in the game might trigger them.

Anyway, it's clear how I feel about the issue and although I have a WOZECLE on preorder, if the speech remains as it appears in the demo machines then I'm sure I'll be either passing on my preorder or getting rid very soon after delivery. The game would have to be AMAZING to distract me from those voices.

What do you think of the speech calls heard so far? I wouldn't be surprised if people would rather just vote to stay anonymous.

#2 11 years ago

I am up for leaving it to the experts (JJP). I have to believe they know what they are doing.

#3 11 years ago

Myself, I think a mix is warranted, but I can understand why they might decide to leave original audio solely for use with video clips (and remember, we still don't know how many actual video sequences there are).

On a more general front, I've never been a fan of "hit target, get random movie quote". It's what you do when all you have are movie quotes. I prefer that a pin's audio design follow a more structured format and tell me a story, not shout out random and meaningless "ah, I remember hearing that in the movie" clips.

#4 11 years ago

I think they have done a "great job" so far and we all need to support their effort. And if you have suggestions make the game better, then CALL Jack and let him know and not hide behind your keyboard.

On SWEI we had some "actor" voices and no one even made a fuss. If JJP was not in the mix, the pinball community would be much different today. Hat's off to Action Jackson!

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

I am up for leaving it to the experts (JJP). I have to believe they know what they are doing.

+1

#6 11 years ago

I believe the dialogue from the movie and the voices of the original actor's are as iconic as the imagery. Whenever we hear the line "There's no place like home" or "We're not in Kansas anymore" we immediately associate the voice of Judy Garland. Same applies to Margaret Hamilton's witch. "I'll get you my pretty" or "I'm Melting".

I'm fine with "Shoot that projectile my fine pinball pugilist" if it was spoken by the chosen character to "narrate" the game. I don't understand why you go to great lengths to get the movie license of WOZ if you are going to turn it into a silent movie. I've said it before but the game is titled The Wizard Of Oz. Not Dorothy's Pinball Adventure.

One of the biggest drawbacks to POTC was the absence of Johnny Depp. In this case, the absence of the original voices completely ruins the game for me and changes my perception of its "cool factor".

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from jpop:

I think they have done a "great job" so far and we all need to support their effort. And if you have suggestions make the game better, then CALL Jack and let him know and not hide behind your keyboard.
On SWEI we had some "actor" voices and no one even made a fuss. If JJP was not in the mix, the pinball community would be much different today. Hat's off to Action Jackson!

Thanks for starting the personal attacks. I would've expected better from you.

I've emailed him directly a few times actually. I won't disclose the full content of his replies but they were vague. If I met him in real life I would also say what was on my mind in a polite, friendly manner. I've never really thought about ringing him up and speaking to him. I think it's pretty presumptous to ring him up and tell him my opinions but if I email him he can quickly read it then ignore it. He is always welcome to contact me if he wants to speak.

If he is going to develop this machine IN PUBLIC then he has to expect it to be discussed IN PUBLIC. The point of this thread is that MY opinion isn't going to sway him so I thought a poll might be useful. I honestly want to know the opinion of people, preferably without the fear of being personally attacked.

SWEI was an unknown and unloved film so it doesn't compare in my opinion. I've never played it but I bet the impersonated voices aren't great. Of course the acting in the actual film couldn't be much worse...

#8 11 years ago

So far, the music and callouts are really, really bad. Did they even research up and coming comedians/impersonators? I would think most of them would do it for free, just to get their name out there. Youtube is full of them.

I can't see owning the game for the audio factor alone. I would drive me crazy listening to that theme music and callouts over and over. Their already stuck in my head. Seriously, can't imagine a bunch of guys drinking beer and listening/playing wizard of oz. It's emasculating. I'm sure kids or the gf/wife will like it for a month or so.

Heard something about Gilbert Godfrey adding to the game? Jesus why.

Melissa Villasenor does a great Dorothy impression. She's dying to be famous. She'd probably do it for free. They should have used her.

I guess we only heard a small portion of the call outs. They needed something to just drop into the game. I'm sure they'll figure it out.

#9 11 years ago

Ya know. I think I've voiced my opinions enough on this subject. This is a pinball forum where we are just discussing aspects of a game. I don't see my phone ringing off the hook anytime someone disagrees with something I've posted. Are they hiding behind their keyboards. Nope. I think it's because this is an internet forum.

That being said. I don't think I am going to "hide behind my keyboard". I'll vote with my dollars instead. I guess it's time to bail. Thanks for the push.

#10 11 years ago

In before thread lock. This is going to spiral downward pretty quickly. Another public indictment disguised as a "survey."

Anyone trying to pass judgement on the game at this point is extremely premature. There's tons of work to do on it, nobody knows the extent of the audio and what the finished product is going to sound like.

#11 11 years ago

I think the call outs are just fine. Some actors are spot-on, some aren't. I like the custom lines... "the Great Oz is impressed with your skill!". Good stuff. The ones that aren't perfect won't detract from my enjoyment one bit, but limiting the game to only movie quotes might.

Besides, I'm not in favor of any significant change this late in the timeline.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

Seriously, can't imagine a bunch of guys drinking beer and listening/playing wizard of oz. It's emasculating.

I dunno. If that machine happens to have attracted a buncha girls around it also drinking beer, I guess it's a good thing you won't be there!

Heard something about Gilbert Godfrey adding to the game? Jesus why. The only thing he's relevant for is being annoying on the Stern show.

Now you're just blindly grabbing to find something to complain about! What was made as a sarcastic joke by someone has now somehow become fact.

You know, I heard WOZ will come come with free HBO so the screen isn't black when it's off. Maybe that can become fact...

#13 11 years ago

Why not post this on the JJP board? What purpose does it serve..? Independent research you are going to point Jack to? Really? 25% of the responses will be gag responses... Jack will take the advice of known experts in this field not a bunch of fanboys/haters.

The voices are placeholders... why bother to discuss how they work or dont work with the animation audio?

We will hear "The Journey is the Reward" as much as we hear "Bum Bum Ba Bum...Tron!".

While on topic though - whenever i hear that phrase i imagine some 300lb fat guy in a princess outfit saying it.

I am sure there will be some movie clips - Multiball is already using movie clip. When Dorothy says "oh!" when house falls in movie - i am sure that could be used for Tilt... etc, etc, etc.. let them finish the game!

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

In before thread lock. This is going to spiral downward pretty quickly. Another public indictment disguised as a "survey."
Anyone trying to pass judgement on the game at this point is extremely premature. There's tons of work to do on it, nobody knows the extent of the audio and what the finished product is going to sound like.

If you don't have anything to say about the thread topic then don't post. It'll get locked because of people like you come in and starting to throwing their weight around.

As for this being a premature judgment... I think rather this is the last possible chance to get them to change it. I'm not passing judgement on the WHOLE game, just this element and I'm not judging it just on what I've seen but what Jack and Keith have said about the whole callout approach.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Why not post this on the JJP board? What purpose does it serve..? Independent research you are going to point Jack to? Really? 25% of the responses will be gag responses... Jack will take the advice of known experts in this field not a bunch of fanboys/haters.
The voices are placeholders... why bother to discuss how they work or dont work with the animation audio?

Can we just stick to the point of the thread? If you don't agree with it then don't post. I don't want this to turn into another argument about whether criticism is good or not.

As for it not being finished, I KNOW but JJP have already replied (on the JJP board) said the plan is that ALL the callouts will be by the impersonators. If you'd bothered to read the OP you'd already know that...

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

I dunno. If that machine happens to have attracted a buncha girls around it also drinking beer, I guess it's a good thing you won't be there

That's a good thing. Not into giggly little school girls

#17 11 years ago

I think it should be a mix.I need to hear "jackpot" or "extra ball" shout outs.You could work in original quotes for sound effects or mode start ups,but there needs to be some instructional call outs.

Example of what I consider a good call out:"double jackpot"Gimli in LOTR.

Example of bad call out(direct quote)"libations for everyone"...WTF does that mean?double scoring,multi ball,hurry up.Had to play game a bunch of times to know what that callout meant.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

Seriously, can't imagine a bunch of guys drinking beer and listening/playing wizard of oz. It's emasculating.

Do you really think this way? The WOZ theme is an affront to your masculinity? Maybe you're just joking. I don't care what the theme is, if the machine kicks ass, me a my group of friends will have no problem drinking beer and playing the hell out of WOZ. If a game sucks... then, well, it sucks and we wouldn't play it regardless of how macho the theme might be.

#19 11 years ago

Again if people have ways to make the game(s) better...JJP...Stern or anyone...call the owners / designers on the phone and let them know. This way works. My phone rings all the time from folks who want to make a difference. It helps big time.

Heck some even buy me a tea!

#20 11 years ago

I'm afraid after watching that video that it's going to turn into a game like South Park that never shuts up. Does we're off to see the wizzard ever stop?

The only one near me I'll be able to play will be at CP in a room where I hopefully can't hear the music or the call outs.

I also agree that the voice acting seems really strange. I am not a big WOZ fan by anymeans but it does sound goofy without film call outs.

#21 11 years ago

I will with hold judgement until I see/play it at expo. If I can hear it from my booth, after 3 days I will probably have a very good idea of how it sounds lol.

#22 11 years ago

leave it up to team JJP they know best.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

As for this being a premature judgment... I think rather this is the last possible chance to get them to change it. I'm not passing judgement on the WHOLE game, just this element and I'm not judging it just on what I've seen but what Jack and Keith have said about the whole callout approach.

The problem here is, you are starting a tirade against the process when you don't even know what it's going to sound like. Jack and others have already explained why they're doing what they're doing. They aren't asking whether you like it or not. It's done according to their scheme. If you want to complain about it, wait until you have something to complain about.

I seriously doubt anything is going to change, and even if it did, it would add more delays to the delivery schedule and nobody wants that.

Look, I understand you may not like some aspect of the game, but trying to create some kind of public wave of dissent isn't likely to make much of a difference at this point. Jack seems to be fed up with people telling him how he needs to build the game. Just sayin'. I'm not suggesting you can't express yourself, I just think: a) it's not going to change just because you don't like it, b) there's not enough evidence to indicate that the sound package they're using won't be superior, c) you and most everybody else has no idea how difficult it is to configure the sounds - it's unlikely that this is merely a simple choice that they can make.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

Do you really think this way? The WOZ theme is an affront to your masculinity? Maybe your just joking. I don't care what the theme is, if the machine kicks ass, me a my group of friends will have no problem drinking beer and playing the hell out of WOZ. If a game sucks... then, well, it sucks and we wouldn't play it regardless of how macho the theme might be.

My g/f daughter likes wizard of oz. I got a couple things in the house wiz related (witches hourglass and a small movie picture in a frame). She wants to be Dorothy for halloween, again. She's a fan of the movie. I get the kid aspect of it.

Honestly can't imagine hanging with the guys and playing the wizard of oz pinball machine at the house. It's pretty gay imo. It's like watching the movie with your guy friends. It wouldn't go over like a fart in church. My friends would be like wtf is this??? We came over to watch UFC. I'm not saying WOZ owners are gay, at all. Don't care if people are the gay. But, it's just gay for a dude. g/f - wife, kids, I get it. But for a guy, com'on. You have to laugh about it, it's like being caught driving a mini-van or prius.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

DITO

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

It's pretty gay imo.

I remember a time in pinball when CV was"the gay" game.Never really understood that line of thought or this one.Scott

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

My g/f daughter likes wizard of oz. I got a couple things in the house wiz related (witches hourglass and a small movie picture in a frame). She wants to be dorothy for halloween, again. She's fan of the movie. I get the kid aspect of it.
Honestly can't imagine hanging with the guys and playing the wizard of oz pinball machine at the house. It's pretty gay imo. It's like watching the movie with your guy friends. It wouldn't go over like a fart in church. My friends would be like wtf is this??? We came over to watch UFC. I'm not saying WOZ owners are gay, at all. Don't care if people are the gay. But, it's just gay for a dude. g/f - wife, kids, i get it. But for a guy, com'on. You have to laugh about it, it's like being caught driving a mini-van or prius.

That is intolerable bigotry and probably the worst thing I have read here. Just the fact that you referenced it as "The Gay" is absurd.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

Honestly can't imagine hanging with the guys and playing the wizard of oz pinball machine at the house. It's pretty gay imo. It's like watching the movie with your guy friends. It wouldn't go over like a fart in church. My friends would be like wtf is this??? We came over to watch UFC. I'm not saying WOZ owners are gay, at all. Don't care if people are the gay. But, it's just gay for a dude. g/f - wife, kids, I get it. But for a guy, com'on. You have to laugh about it, it's like being caught driving a mini-van or prius.

I just wanted to save this bit of stupidity for posterity, just in case Tommi came to his senses and edited the whole thing before anyone saw it...
Looks like Alex beat me to it.
..."the gay" indeed.

Also, how did I know this was going to be a Chocky thread before opening it up?!? I bet myself $10 before I clicked to open and sure enough... Looks like I get a sweet lunch today!
Just be patient man- so much unnecessary speculation/fear from a keyboard.
They've got this- let them work.

Quoted from jpop:

Heck some even buy me a tea!

Duke, you're worth at LEAST a sandwich and some chips!

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

That is intolerable bigotry and probably the worst thing I have read here. Just the fact that you referenced it as "The Gay" is absurd.

As usual Alex, calling the kettle black and acting like a Diva.

Let me remind you of YOUR woz post two weeks ago.

"I realize you were trying to get a rise out of me which is why I never responded to the thread or the topic of it. But I couldn't miss the opportunity to call a spade a spade (or in your case a D.B. a D.B.)."

Surprised you refrained from the N word.

#30 11 years ago

Jack and crew have been crazy/brave enough to allow virtual tours of the sausage factory this entire time and I applaud them for it. It has served its purpose as far as I am concerned. The purpose has been to show that there is a machine, a process, employees, ideas, and ultimately a product. If they were not so open about it, I would not have been as patient as I have been with leaving my money on the table. (I have a WOZLE on order and am patiently waiting for the finished product).

The sausage tours are not designed for people to steer the production and vision of the machine, but many people act like that is the case.

Think of this whole process as a funnel. Very wide at the top and narrow at the bottom. Lots of people on board when it was just a cool idea and ill-defined. New pinball machine and new company? Wow, how many people could be against that? Not many!

As the product is developed and shared and the closer it gets to being finished, it will satisfy fewer people than were initially interested in the idea at the beginning.

Some people would serve themselves (and others) better by dropping out once some part of the product becomes a deal killer for them. It is just natural that some won't. It is super easy to get your money back.

#31 11 years ago

Uhh dude your Avatar is an ace of spades? I wasn't making a racist comment and im not even sure how you deduced that.

here let me give you some education.

From Wikipedia:

To "call a spade a spade" is to speak honestly and directly about a topic, specifically topics that others may avoid speaking about due to their sensitivity or embarrassing nature. Brewer’s Dictionary of Phrase and Fable (1913) defines it as
“ To be outspoken, blunt, even to the point of rudeness; to call things by their proper names without any "beating about the bush". ”

The fact that the word spade immediately associated in your mind as something racist is very telling.

Nice try though.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

My g/f daughter likes wizard of oz. I got a couple things in the house wiz related (witches hourglass and a small movie picture in a frame). She wants to be Dorothy for halloween, again. She's a fan of the movie. I get the kid aspect of it.

Dude, don't you have a Tea Party rally to attend or something? Fact, what you said is bigoted. You really need to get in touch with a doctor and get your estrogen levels checked because either you don't have any in your body, which as a male you should have some, or you have too much and are trying to overcompensate.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

This is an outrage.

Never, EVER fart in church

Time to close this thread lol

#34 11 years ago

ITBL.

Love you guys, but this place is getting old. On to the I hate/love Metallica/ACDC/Madonna thread.....

#36 11 years ago

Is is funny/ironic that I think of this based on your handle

tommigun.jpgtommigun.jpg

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

SWEI was an unknown and unloved film

Really? Unloved by you, but certainly not unknown!

As far as WOZ voices. with the video instead of DMD there is much more going on that probably requires impersonators.
Jack said there is a script for the whole thing.
Maybe that means it will be a whole new twist of pinball WOZ storyline.
I would hate to miss all of that creativity, just cause you hate voice actors.
Go ahead and bail already.

My vote for worst impersonator:
"I can't drive, FIFFTEEE FIIIIYYYYVE!"
still doesn't keep me from playing a working NASCAR.

#38 11 years ago

I guess I understand the concern. I think THE BEST implementation of voice calls are in FGY. That game has so many..every time i play I hear something new..IRONICALLY.. SHREK voice calls are quote the opposite.

At this rate and everyones suggestions..the game will never get done. At some point you have to say enough.
This is what happens when you show the progress on a weekly basis and in my opinion Jack should just stop showing a game at the shows that is clearly unfinished and a work in progress because a lot of people can't grasp the concept of "it's still in progress".

BTW.. i think everyone from the movie has passed on... so how can you use the actual actors voices? You can only do so much. Taking the time to cut and edit custom voice clips form the actually movie to make up words will not only sound bad but will take years.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

Really? Unloved by you, but certainly not unknown!

Well, I say SWEI was unknown because no one had seen it at that time so of course the different voices wouldn't stick out. I bet they do now though.

Quoted from DNO:

As far as WOZ voices. with the video instead of DMD there is much more going on that probably requires impersonators.
Jack said there is a script for the whole thing.
Maybe that means it will be a whole new twist of pinball WOZ storyline.
I would hate to miss all of that creativity, just cause you hate voice actors.
Go ahead and bail already.

If you want to be creative then you create your own theme. If you license an existing theme then you need to stay consistant with that theme. There is plenty of room for creativity within the confines I am suggesting. Are you really suggesting that the guys at JJP can improve on the script and acting of one of the greatest ever movies?

#40 11 years ago

Both would work

#41 11 years ago

Sandwhich and chips...!!! Thanks!! Cool.....Here is my phone (224) 532-0639. I appreciate any calls to help me in my work and pinball overall. Or better yet get involved if you are an engineer, programmer, digital artist, etc.....AND If my stuff sucks I will fix it so it sucks less, as if 3 people say it sucks it usually does (Steve Ritcvhie taught me that).... Forum posting ONLY does not make better pinball, as it is created with our hands.

#42 11 years ago

I think SWE1 is a better movie.

Actually, with the LCD display, yes.
The player will NEED to hear instructional speech and pinball specific quotes.
I'm hoping WOZ is a deep ruleset that pulls me into the story through pinball.
Hopefully more than any game before, and maybe I won't have to read 20 pages of
a guide to understand what's going on.
....thanks to the custom speech.

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

I'm hoping this will remain on topic and I don't really want to hear from anyone accusing me of starting this thread for 'hateful' reasons. This thread comes from a desire to call out to those working on the machine and hopefully improve the finished game. I've already mentioned my feelings about the sound on the latest demo of WOZ but I was interested to see if I was in the minority or not so decided to start a poll.
For those that don't know what my concerns are, JJP decided to audition impersonators of all the major WOZ characters and give them pinball specific phrases to say. We were told about this and it sounded promising. However, it appears that JJP have decided to use these impersonators exclusively in the game rather than using any actual clips from the film. When pressed, Jack said that there are no pinball callouts in the film and that mixing real and fake speech would sound bad and that the movie clips would sound 'old' compared to the newly recorded speech.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JYmfq1apDuQ
I'm linking to some of the recent video where you can clearly hear the kind of thing that I'm talking about. Now, in my opinion, the impersonations range from OK to quite poor and they also seem to be saying phrases that aren't in the film and aren't particularly pinball specific either. Also, when multiball starts we get a genuine clip from the film with actual speech. I would assume there will be more real film clips on the LCD in the finished game. This makes the theory of keeping all the voices the same redundant I think.
The way I see it is that The Wizard Of Oz is one of the most watched movies of ALL time and we've heard those voices a million times and they are imprinted in the minds of most Americans and many others around the world. That's what everyone wants to hear, that's what everyone EXPECTS to hear.
Nearly all movie tie in pinballs use actual speech from the films and it works well. Part of the creativity is deciding what clips you can use where and that is a huge part of the fun of it all. See how much fun everyone is having in the Predator thread picking their favourite quotes and deciding what kind of action in the game might trigger them.
Anyway, it's clear how I feel about the issue and although I have a WOZECLE on preorder, if the speech remains as it appears in the demo machines then I'm sure I'll be either passing on my preorder or getting rid very soon after delivery. The game would have to be AMAZING to distract me from those voices.
What do you think of the speech calls heard so far? I wouldn't be surprised if people would rather just vote to stay anonymous.

I think I understand what you are saying. All of us who have seen the movie multiple times know and like the characters and their voices.

I think Jack stated somewhere that he has seen this movie a billion times as part of his research on the making of the game. I am sure the design group discussed and debated using the original actors voices. For some reason they have opted to not use those voices. With all the years of experience that this team has, I have to acquiesce that they know what will sound the best. There may be reasons that JJP has not yet divulged why they have chosen this route but I am optimistically confident that these guys know how to build a good pinball game.

Chocky we all know you hate the voices. You can sell your game back to Jack he has along waiting list. If you are right and the overwhelming consensus after the game is released is that the game sucks because of the voices. You can come back on here and tell everyone "I told you so". If you are wrong you can always buy back in.

To be so hyper critical does not benefit anyone including yourself, an owner of WOZ -- IMO

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Dude, don't you have a Tea Party rally to attend or something? Fact, what you said is bigoted.

If you are saying people who support the Tea Party movement are bigoted, you are no better than the original statement and way out of line.

The thread is about the voices. I am happy to let JJP run his company as he sees fit. Voice actors is is for me.

#45 11 years ago

Love it J-Pop! Truth hurts, IMHO! Per counsel! Alex keeps telling people he works for JJP "but don't tell". That's why he keeps popping up on all the jjp posts! Hey JJP does he work for you?

#46 11 years ago

Right. SWEI was not an iconic movie when it was released. The concern/dislike of voice actors is that the artwork, the video, etc are all based on the movie The Wizard Of Oz. A movie which has been known for generations and its dialogue is immediately recognizable.

I think Joeraptor is missing the point of what those of us who want the original dialogue is getting at. No one wants words made up from the movie, nor do they need to be. The only pinball specific dialoge in LOTR was by John Rhys-Davies (Gimli). Spiderman it was J.K. Simmons. All other dialogue was lifted as is, from the movie. It would be very easy to take an altered Wizard voice and make that voice the one responsible for the pinball specific callouts.

The only script should be that which follows the movie. I did not think this was about re-writing The Wizard Of Oz.

In my eyes, this was one very poor artistic choice that completely alters ones perception of what The Wizard Of Oz should be.

Otherwise, the book should have been licensed and original artwork made from the story.

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from Exejet:

Love it J-Pop! Truth hurts, IMHO! Per counsel! Alex keeps telling people he works for JJP "but don't tell". That's why he keeps popping up on all the jjp posts! Hey JJP does he work for you?

I do NOT work for JJP nor have I ever told anyone I have. You guys make assumptions which are always incorrect. Stop trying to stir sh!t up that isn't there.

#48 11 years ago

The bottom line….all the discussion back and forth and back and forth…its all good. But you all know in your hearts, or you should, the only real opinions of worth will be once the game comes out…till then..its all noise and speculation.
Since this is about call outs/voices, does anyone here really know what is going on behind the scenes. With the most intricate pinball machine to be made in the last few decades, I seriously doubt the voices are not going to be integrated into this machine without a heck of a lot of thought process. Original voices, impersonators, real clips, fake clips…one has to believe its all going to be done in a very classy fashion.
With one of the best design teams ever, that will put their seal of approval on the final product…why is there so much senseless dribble? The discussion is good, the passion is good…some of the comments are simply ridiculous speculation.

#49 11 years ago

Guys lets stay on topic and keep it more....... Friendly ?
-thanks HDC

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

However, it appears that JJP have decided to use these impersonators exclusively in the game rather than using any actual clips from the film.

Terrible decision.

So those who love the theme (the movie) don't get any realy Judy Garland? Bad move.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 16.95
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.50
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-call-out-survey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.