WoZ build dates, reliability

By bhwolf

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hi folks, looking at possibly picking up a WoZ machine ... in this case, built roughly the April 2014 timeline. Any gotchas to be aware of regarding reliability of components, playfields, etc.? I seem to recall certain older machines being more prone to failure, but not sure if that qualifies here. Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

There were some led boards that had to be replaced on a bunch of earlier machines. I believe once the ruby red came out everything was near bullet proof

#3 7 years ago

Mine is an August 2014 build. It has been rock solid... zero issues.

#4 7 years ago

August 2014 build date - I've had lots of problems but I still like the game.

#5 7 years ago

I really don't think there's too much to worry about if the problematic LED boards were replaced and there is minimal playfield wear. One benefit of earlier builds is the beautiful clear-coated direct printed cabinets. They are amazing.

I have a direct print cab and minimal issues on a 9/13 build.

#6 7 years ago

I bought a Ruby Red a little more than a month ago with a build date of late 2015. It had a light board issue, so while they did get better, it's still not 100% bullet proof.

#7 7 years ago

Thanks all! Appreciate the feedback.

#8 7 years ago

One thing to note JJP support is great.

#9 7 years ago

The only games you would need to be concerned about are from prior to maybe August 2013 as those games still had the original 5 volt light boards, around that time the light board design was updated. Games with those original light boards would have displayed issues by now and if replaced there's no concern. The game started to ship in spring of 2013 and a few very early games had playfield issues but the vast majority of owners reported no issues.

As Allibaster pointed out one of the benefits of earlier builds (all Emerald City LE's and maybe most of the original 1,000 standards) is the direct printed cabinet, it's super nice.

#10 7 years ago

Not 1000 standards. Direct print cabinets were used at the outset for standards but it was no more than 500 of them and I believe less, after which decal cabinets became the norm for standard games.

#11 7 years ago

I been told new built woz are coming off the line now at jjp. So there are no differences or updates besides light boards issues with these new builds compared to older builds ?

#12 7 years ago

I'm not entirely sure but I believe they're making 75th Anniversary games primarily and are on the latest incarnation of the lighting system. Beyond that, I don't believe there are any significant differences.

#13 7 years ago

K thanks.....

2 weeks later
#14 7 years ago

I believe our WOZ is #453, is a standard and it has decalled cabs unfortunately. Looks amazing though!

#15 7 years ago

Mine is a 3/10/14 built. I had to replace the mini play field as the doors would always get stuck. I had the play field off 6 times. The service by JJP was good. I paid shipping on an exchange. The doors no longer stick. If they do it is just for a moment then they reset. Good luck. A real cool game with good code. Well built. It will last a long time. Amazing quality and nice playfiekd.

1 month later
#16 7 years ago

I got my woz ruby a few weeks ago. Was produced this past Nov. Jjp support is great. Just out of the box a lot of issues. Still have some to deal witb. For such an expensive toy I am dissatisfied with their quality control. I am looking forward to playing the game without issues popping up.

#17 7 years ago

You can now order a WOZ with the new radcal art... more robust than the decals.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 91.00
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 16.95
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-build-dates-reliability and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.