Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Sunfox
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

We'll see how this goes. Seems to be working OK, although according to JJP staff, there are still many features/code that isn't implemented. Munchkin mb works, and is very difficult to qualify. Both upper playfields have qualifying code, and access/executing seemed to work fine. Outlanes are gobblers. SDTM was non existent -- didn't lose a single ball that way. Game was fun to play!

The Haunted VUK did have issues with not being able to get unstuck from having two balls in it (during mb), and when the tech tried to put one of the balls in the shooter lane for me, accidentally dropped the ball STDM! Doh! There goes that mb!

#2 11 years ago

Yeah we saw that VUK get stuck with 2 balls in it at the FUN booth. We actually lifted the machine up and let the ball roll back into the pop bumper trees

Overall i liked the game. The screen stuff screamed vegas slot machine.
Scores were generally low. I think i hit 12k.

Nice game overall.

--Jeff

#3 11 years ago

It's good they are getting a lot of testing & feedback before release.

#4 11 years ago

Multiplayer games allow lock "stealing", make sure you go 4th if you're playing it head to head!

#5 11 years ago

Keith usually makes lock stealing a setting (ie. on TSPP - you can even "save" locks between games).

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Yeah we saw that VUK get stuck with 2 balls in it at the FUN booth. We actually lifted the machine up and let the ball roll back into the pop bumper trees
Overall i liked the game. The screen stuff screamed vegas slot machine.
Scores were generally low. I think i hit 12k.
Nice game overall.
--Jeff

I haven't seen one in person but in vids I thought it too looked like a slot machine/pinball

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

Keith usually makes lock stealing a setting (ie. on TSPP - you can even "save" locks between games).

Well, According to Jack, Keith was all done programming WoZ last week. That's why Ted Estes iwill now be doing WoZ programming since it is not yet completed.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Well, According to Jack, Keith was all done programming WoZ last week. That's why Ted Estes iwill now be doing WoZ programming since it is not yet completed.

I think we're going to need to hear more about this one.

#9 11 years ago

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

This is how rumors get started. Are you saying or implying that Keith is no longer with JJP?
I don't have a clue where you came up with your conclusions regarding programming.

#11 11 years ago

Perhaps he is basing it on the following sentence from last week's JJP email:

"This particular game is on its way to our Programmer, Ted Estes, who has been assisting Keith with WOZ."

#12 11 years ago

From the WOZ Group:

Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 21:05:33 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Mr. Bally on Pinside

There is no truth to his posts that Keith is done programming WOZ.

I never said that.

Quite the contrary even yesterday during my Skype call into the Texas
Pinball Festival I restated that we will do everything to make sure
the game is what we all expect it to be when we designed it.

Keith is an amazing talent and along with other people on our Team,
now including Ted Estes is working to make the game be nothing short
of Epic.

Please take every opportunity to correct these people who have no
other motive than to disrupt and disparage our company, it's products,
it's people and accomplishments.

Period!

Seriously, MrBally.

Twisting something into a controversial statement intended to imply that Keith was fired and Ted is taking over, thereby causing WOZ buyers to panic. And yes, while you didn't come out and directly say that, it's obvious that's what you were trying to make everyone think.

Perhaps you can backpeddle now by claiming you only meant that Keith "might" be moving on to The Hobbit, or that you just heard it from some anonymous source and didn't particularly care if it was true or not before spreading it around.

Negative karma to you, sir.

#13 11 years ago

LMAO, hear what you want to hear MRBally but it does not make it true.

EDIT: Thanks for fixing the thumb Jack

#14 11 years ago

I don't think Keith is gone at all.. I was speaking with the engineer from JJP.. and I'm pretty sure he mentioned his name as being part of the entourage heading to Warner Bros to work out details on licensing issues for Hobbit...
Wish I recorded skype TPF seminar from but I thought he mentioned Keith several times about code updates as if still there...
Apologies is I have my info wrong..

#15 11 years ago

There is no truth to his posts that Keith is done programming WOZ.
I never said that.

Quite the contrary even yesterday during my Skype call into the Texas
Pinball Festival I restated that we will do everything to make sure
the game is what we all expect it to be when we designed it.

Keith is an amazing talent and along with other people on our Team,
now including Ted Estes is working to make the game be nothing short
of Epic.

Please take every opportunity to correct these people who have no
other motive than to disrupt and disparage our company, it's products,
it's people and accomplishments.
Period!

#16 11 years ago

Just confirming - I was at the TPF Skype call and Jack was extremely clear that Keith was staying on WOZ despite having input into the design of TH. He even mentioned that Keith obviously had the most up-to-date code on his PC as he programmed away and that the code on the machines at the TPF was not the code that would be shipped with machines later this month.

I think there was some applause after that specific answer.

#17 11 years ago

To Clarify: I read (either on Pinside or RGP) that Keith was given a drop dead date by Jack to be done with WoZ programming on or about March 15, 2013. Sorry for any confusion in my statement.

I did not mean to imply that Keith was no longer with JJP. Only that he has other assignments after said date.

Please put the pitchforks away.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

To Clarify: I read (either on Pinside or RGP) that Keith was given a drop dead date by Jack to be done with WoZ programming on or about March 15, 2013. Sorry for any confusion in my statement.
I did not mean to imply that Keith was no longer with JJP. Only that he has other assignments after said date.
Please put the pitchforks away.

Even that statement appears to be incorrect. What does he (Keith) have to work on other than WOZ. They do not even have a playfield design yet for Hobbit.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Even that statement appears to be incorrect. What does he (Keith) have to work on other than WOZ. They do not even have a playfield design yet for Hobbit.

Might be incorrect, but it is what I read and what I meant in my earlier post that generated the negative comments.

I imagine that my statement of Jack gave Keith a drop dead date of March 15 was originally posted by whoever to give buyers confidence that the game would be shipping soon after this date. Then the famous "box photo" thread was made and in the thread it was mentioned that Ted was programming the game.

I have no Idea what Keith has to do "next". Maybe there is another game such as the one Dennis designed under contract that was mentioned as being game #2 (an original theme) which possibly could be released prior to Hobbit.

#20 11 years ago

I got 66k on one of my tourney plays, which seemed really high on the game. It's still really low scoring. I've seen 2 digit end of ball bonuses. Seems most bonuses were 3 digits.

Almost no modes work yet. You light the locks by spelling tin man, cowardly lion, and scarecrow via the rollover buttons on those characters. I'm terrible at aiming at rollovers, so I usually just shot other things while those spelled out by accident. Yes, in multiplayer mode, the letter spelling, locks, and lit locks carry over from player to player, so later players clean up. Once you get multiball, it wasn't really clear what to shoot at so I flailed.

I did get the monkey to steal my ball, but I am not sure how. Once it was up in the castle, I couldn't rescue it. The r and second e are really hard to hit, but I did get the door open eventually and got the ball in there, only to have it spit it out. I guess code on that is still unfinished.

I lit twister and was able to spin the house a bit. It's more challenging than it looks.

The upper flipper on the main playfield is a little weird. You can't see the ball coming to it, so it's very hard to shoot from it, but the only shot exclusive to that flipper seems to be the skill shot target in the haunted forest. You can pound the witch from the lower flippers, and there seems to be no specific award for dropping the witch anyway at this point so that flipper seems a little wasted. Maybe it will be better with the final code, but I wish you had more to shoot at with that one than stationary targets. Like a ramp or loop or something.

The tilt's seemed pretty lenient, even in the tourney section, so, as others have said, I was able to save almost every middle drain. It seemed easier to nudge than the massive Williams widebodies I am used to.

I basically pounded the center ramp and vuk, and ended up with a decent score. They still have a ways to go, but the potential is there. I love that the flippers up top are tied to the buttons on the opposite side below. Makes perfect sense and felt natural. Wish it was further along code wise, as with most lights being in attract mode during play, it still feels very early in the coding process. I also noticed the screen graphics slowing down at times, sometimes a lot, which make me worry about how robust the base system is. It was under a hard load, but it's something you would expect a machine to weather.

Pretty game with little substance now. I think there is no way it shops with anything resembling complete code, but I hope I'm wrong.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Might be incorrect, but it is what I read and what I meant in my earlier post that generated the negative comments.
I imagine that my statement of Jack gave Keith a drop dead date of March 15 was originally posted by whoever to give buyers confidence that the game would be shipping soon after this date. Then the famous "box photo" thread was made and in the thread it was mentioned that Ted was programming the game.
I have no Idea what Keith has to do "next". Maybe there is another game such as the one Dennis designed under contract that was mentioned as being game #2 (an original theme) which possibly could be released prior to Hobbit.

Dude, quit it already.

Dennis did not design anything......Keith is all over WOZ and so is Ted and the rest of the Team.

Retract the incorrect posts you wrote please.

#22 11 years ago

Jack has been very clear to the WOZ buyer's that Keith and company will continue to update the software as needed. Ted Estes is also a proven programmer and I am sure he is capable of taking a code diagram from Keith and programming it properly. There are also two others (one is Alex/ Pinchroma) that have worked or are working on programming. I am confident that Jack is not going to let WOZ coding go the way of Wheel of Fortune. He has way too much on the line and far too much reputation at stake.

Quoted from MrBally:

#23 11 years ago

Rather than deny misinformation, why not provide something accurate so that it ends once and for all?

#24 11 years ago

For reference, go to the "Woz updates from Ohio" thread. Pages 2, 5 and 6 are the posts that mention the "drop dead date" (actually listed as March 13th).

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

Dude, quit it already.
Dennis did not design anything......Keith is all over WOZ and so is Ted and the rest of the Team.
Retract the incorrect posts you wrote please.

To Jersey Jack: I retract anything that is being construed as or even appears to be incorrect in my earlier post(s) in this thread as I have no motive to disrupt, slander or disparage your company, it's products, or people. I am sorry for what my post(s) in this thread caused.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I am confident that Jack is not going to let WOZ coding go the way of Wheel of Fortune.

Well, thank God for that!

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

WOW. I did not draw that conclusion. Thought Ted was helping Keith. I think you misunderstood.

#28 11 years ago

Geeesh, can't believe that my thread started about WOZ being in the TPF tourney turned into terrible speculation/misinformation on programming and who's doing what at JJP. Good grief -- gotta love internet forums!

Now back to the intent of this thread -- here's some feedback from having it in the TPF tourney...

If it hasn't already been stated on other forums/threads, the flippers are fine. Amply powered. And they have a very nice "feel" to them in terms of flipping and controlling the ball with live traps, etc.

To JJP:
- You have a nice game so far with a lot of potential on your hands! There are a lot of things to do on the table, and I'm confident that under Keith's guidance and reputation, there will be layers and layers of complexity to achieve and score for playing enjoyment and competitive strategies.
- I'm sorry that TPF decided to use WOZ in its current state in a tourney setting. For competitive play, it makes no sense to use an incomplete product. But the person you had from JJP manning the 2 WOZ in the tourney was very helpful -- I'll even forgive him costing me my multiball hehehehe.

- Both upper playfields were fun to play! The RESCUE left upper PF was the one I preferred, but the Twister spinning house PF was MUCH more difficult than I expected. I think I only managed 3 spins max before I lost the ball from the upper PF.

- I think I was incorrect it calling in munchkin multiball -- it was whatever multiball that locks balls in the Emerald City animation.

- As previously mentioned, fix the lock progression (character name spelling) between players. It's one thing to steal a locked ball. But makes no sense for player two to pick up all the target/rollover progress from player one.

- During the multiball, if you shoot the right orbit, it "Captures" the ball as part of Dorothy getting captured as if you were in single ball play. This essentially takes away (drains) one of the balls on the table, taking your 3-ball mb down to 2-ball, or if you only had 2 left, your multiball ends. I don't think this is intended.

- When you lock a ball, the machine was immediately auto-launching your next ball, negating your chance to plunge softer to get into the upper lanes. I'd suggest turning this off, or perhaps giving the player an extra half second to do their own manual plunge to get around this and being forced to send a ball in to the forest pops.

- I'd suggest putting in a shot that spots a letter in the progress of spelling the characters.

- There's presumably so much more that is being completed/programmed, that I'll save a whole bunch of other feedback for later, because it's likely being addressed already.

Feel free to contact me directly if you would like any more detailed feedback.

#29 11 years ago

One more thing I noticed on the non-tournament machine. One LED in the yellow brick road died, and 2 in the scarecrow insert row were stuck on (with one being the wrong color). I didn't notice these problems with the tourney machines, so I can only assume they were hardware failures rather than glitches in the current code. I understand JJP machines come with a year warranty, so these should be easy fixes, but it makes me wonder about how those surface mounted leds will hold up on route if they couldn't make it through the TPF weekend.

My big worry about surface mounted LED's was that if one went out you pretty much had to replace the whole board rather than an easy to fix thru-hole or socket connected replacement led. The selling point for these was that they would hold up so much better than the socketed ones. If that isn't the case, replacing boards might become an expensive proposition after the warranty expires. I think this could be an issue for route operators as well as private owners, especially if they bring them to shows like TPF where the games receive a beating.

I do not say this to disparage JJP or Jack, it's just one of the questions I still have about the game. But I guess it's kinda a moot point since it seems everyone is moving towards surface mounted LED's and nobody else provides a year warranty.

#30 11 years ago

A certain amount of anything electronic dies in the first few weeks, even after being tested at the factory.

Even when you buy brand new #44 LEDs, a few of them kick the bucket - that's why I tell everyone to buy a few extra, as the next batch might not color match exactly.

As long as Jack can supply some extra surface mount LEDs from the same batch, replacement is not too bad at all for an experienced tech.

#31 11 years ago

I'm not positive, but pretty sure one of the delays in the final production was for redesigned LED boards. At the open house, many of the pf's were assembled except for these (There are 4-5 under the main pf, I think). The WOZ games out there will still have the original version. This may be relevant to that problem.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Yeah we saw that VUK get stuck with 2 balls in it at the FUN booth. We actually lifted the machine up and let the ball roll back into the pop bumper trees...
--Jeff

This is frustrating to read. Same issue at previous shows. I told Joe at Ohio, a simple delay in coil activation in software, exactly how it handles kickout at power up, will resolve the issue completely. Would have thought that could have been implemented pretty quickly to resolve a lot of headaches.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
314-766-4587

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

We had to do the same with a player in the finals. Thankfully, in that case, the loose tilt bailed out the situation, as the player was able to roll the ball back into the forest and continue his mb with only one warning.

#34 11 years ago

okay so my thoughts on this machine were generally positive
yes the code was not ready
yes it shouldnt have been in a tournament at this point in its growth
but it did show great potential and was one of my favorites in the entire show.

Quoted from Snailman:

the flippers are fine. Amply powered. And they have a very nice "feel" to them in terms of flipping and controlling the ball with live traps, etc.

I felt as though the flippers were Fine but not fantastic. I played both tournament machines and only the left one was where i wanted the flippers to be in terms of power. I feel like the flippers even on the left machine got the job done but not much more. I could see them getting less powerful pretty quick with use over time.

now to the mini play-fields. at first glance i looked at the one with the spinning house and thought "wow if i can figure out how to get it in there i can keep up that loop all day and just watch the points pile in"
this was NOT the case.
most times i flipped it around once with my max being around 4 or 5 times! definitely a difficult play-field and it quickly became my favorite just because of the challenge to keep the ball in play.
The top play-field used to rescue Dorothy was very fun as well it was hard to hit all targets and get into the door at first but after a few times up there i mastered it. I had Dorothy trapped one time when i got through the door but it didn't save her. a coding issue that can be resolved though.
One thing i would fix with trapping Dorothy is that I had a 3 ball multi-ball going on ball 2/3 and while the 2nd ball was draining i decided to shoot the third around the right loop to trap Dorothy to give me a small break in the game to relax. when the monkey picked the ball up it counted as my 3rd ball drain and kicked out my next ball into the lane on ball 3! Definitely something that needs to be fixed!

When you lock a ball for emerald city multi-ball it automatically plunges the next ball for you. this aggravated me to no end because instead of being able to plunge it to the rollover lanes up top where i could maintain full control of the ball it shot the ball all the way around to the haunted forest pop bumpers where i had no control at all and on a few occasions drained right after. In my opinion this should be changed to either let the player plunge the ball manually or at least allow more time for the player to do so.

I know the code isn't finished so i wont be mad at all the lights and targets that did nothing. Im hoping that when new rules and scoring are implemented that it will be a more balanced game because right now it is just get multi-ball or go home.

The game is absolutely gorgeous and i love the screen instead of the dot matrix display, definitely a gamble that payed off very well. i did have a few issues with it but nothing i couldn't overcome or something that couldn't be fixed

with all that real estate and with so much going on you kind of have to just pick a quadrant in your mind look up at it and then right back to the game without seeing the other three. there just simply is no time to look at all 4 and your score. i found myself getting to the end of a ball and being surprised by how high or low my score was because i didn't have time to ever look at it. when something is really important there should be more full screen instructions so you don't have to sift through all 4 quadrants to figure out what you're supposed to be doing.

there is a slight issue with the kick up in the forest. when two balls find their way there in multi-ball at the same time it tries to kick the first ball out but it blows the other one back a few inches and because of the first ball hitting the second it doesn't have the required power to get all the way up. rinse and repeat. i think this could be resolved by a quick double kick when the machine notices the problem.

Like i said my thoughts of this machine were generally positive the things i criticized in this post were mainly nit picking and could all be fixed with updates. it is a great machine with amazing potential. if i had the money i would for sure buy one.

#35 11 years ago

sorry for the lengthy post :/

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from Pmoncla:

sorry for the lengthy post :/

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Good post and seemed objective overall.

#37 11 years ago

I don't think I'd worry much about VUK issues if the issue is merely timing or power. On Keith's older games (ie. the TSPP Otto kickout where the ball can actually bounce back inside, or might have a second ball pressing against it) the software "learns" the best strength setting, and if it doesn't work it tries different strengths until the ball clears and adds the results to the learning table.

I remember when I upgraded to the last released TSPP software, for the first couple games the Otto loop would never clear on the first try. Now, it's perfect.

I suspect we're just too early in WOZ software for something like that to be implemented.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 16.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 24.50
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-being-used-in-tourney-at-tpf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.