Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by beelzeboob
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Just wondering is WOZ owners are using ball save timings?

I'm not, as I figure the ability to 'ball-save' with TOTO or rainbow there is no need to also turn this on.

This can mean some very short games though...

#2 10 years ago

I have mine set for 5 seconds to avoid some rapid drains. Even with 5 seconds, the ball has drained down TNPLH and bounced around before hitting the drain blowing the ball save.

#3 10 years ago

8 seconds

#4 10 years ago

I am not using a ball save.

#5 10 years ago

I am using 10 seconds, to get more games that aren't cut short and for the many pin novices who play my WOZ here.

#7 10 years ago

tried 5 seconds but disabled it again, feels too much with toto and rainbow for me

#8 10 years ago

There's just no way I would plung a ball, have it drain instantly, and continue to play that game out. Ball savers take some of the frustrating randomness out and give you a fair shake at the game. Odd that it defaults to no ball save.

#9 10 years ago

Used 10 seconds until 1.24, then turned it off....was kinda cool sometimes because I'd get a quick ball drain on TNPLH side and go " oh crap" but actually happened under 10 so it ignored the mode and got my ball back.
Now ( especially w 2.0) not really an issue for me. I can get brutal ball drains and just deal with it, but if you a good game going, more than makes up for it.....

#10 10 years ago

Kind of like I started w 5 ball, then switched to 3 when I got more comfortable......

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

There's just no way I would plung a ball, have it drain instantly, and continue to play that game out. Ball savers take some of the frustrating randomness out and give you a fair shake at the game. Odd that it defaults to no ball save.

To each his own but I figure if you get to touch the ball with a flipper there shouldn't be a ball save.

#12 10 years ago

10 seconds, more for my wife and guests, I never need it.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

To each his own but I figure if you get to touch the ball with a flipper there shouldn't be a ball save.

Agreed....but sadly I've actually watched the thing orbit and drain without even getting a flipper on it.....

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Agreed....but sadly I've actually watched the thing orbit and drain without even getting a flipper on it.....

I always try to soft plunge for a shot at the witch. Sending it to the pops is usually a killer for me.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I always try to soft plunge for a shot at the witch. Sending it to the pops is usually a killer for me.

Taylor - your machine back up & working 100% or did you jump a board?

#16 10 years ago

Darn right I am. 8 seconds. I like to say its to keep friends and family from being frustrated, but secretly, I need the dang thing too.

#17 10 years ago

10 seconds here!

#18 10 years ago

Ball saver just seems like common sense to me. Who wants to play a game that starts off badly? It's not cheating, you still gotta play after that 10 seconds.

#19 10 years ago

No ball save. Once you get the hang of the layout, it's pretty easy to keep the ball out of the danger zones if you have good ball control.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

Darn right I am. 8 seconds. I like to say its to keep friends and family from being frustrated, but secretly, I need the dang thing too.

Agree. Wife loves the game but is not a good player at all. She was getting a little frustrated with the quick drains. Even with moving the posts in and adding a ball save she still will not score over 100K.
And I also will admit there are many games that neither will I.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from sc204:

And I also will admit there are many games that neither will I.

WOZ can be a brutal game, but thats one of the things I love about it. Like multiballs... they have to be earned in WOZ. I have some other games that I feel like award me a multiball every time I press the Start button. I don't want that. Make me earn it. Make the kids earn it. Make the wife earn it. Thats what keeps us coming back. No gimmies (except for the 8 second ball save - haha!).

#22 10 years ago

Yup, mine is on. It is just to avoid house balls. But it isn't for too long, so there are times that I don't get a flipper on a ball. I've got plenty of old Bally games from before ball saves existed, so all my modern games have one set.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Plenty of times woz plunges to drain without touching a flipper. I can't imagine having no ball saver and still continuing.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Plenty of times woz plunges to drain without touching a flipper. I can't imagine having no ball saver and still continuing.

And that was my point...in an odd way, I feel like I get revenge on TNPLH, because if it lights them up and drains within the saved time, it's like it never happened....HA....I win.....

My true problem is beating the Witch....targets turn green, I start sweating, she's screaming at me...and I never get through it....a personal problem, I believe....

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Taylor - your machine back up & working 100% or did you jump a board?

Currently jumpers but am suppose to have some more boards coming in tomorrow.

#26 10 years ago

Mine WOZ is set for guests of our home, so to make it more user friendly the ball save is on.

#27 10 years ago

Good points from all, thanks.

I figure due to the design (TOTO & TNPLH) and the ability to ball-save with skill (and a modicum of luck) there is not a reason for me to turn on the ball save, I have tried it but then turned it off again.

If friends come round then I can see a good case for enabling it.

Just as a matter of interest I wonder what angle folks have the game set at?

I have it pretty much as steep as it will go, i.e. front leg levellers dialled all the way in, and the rear ones dialled all the way out (well as far as its safe to do so, the bolt is level with the nut), making it about 7.25 degrees.

I have also decided to set the game to 4 balls, all my other machines are set to 3, but with WOZ there is just so much to do I feel that with 3 balls and even extra balls it will be impossible to even get near to completing it.

Thoughts please....

#28 10 years ago

6.5 degrees (as per Lloyd's recommendation), 5 balls (as per me being a big fat pussy), no ball save on (so perhaps scratch the last statement about me being a pussy).

BUT...with LOTR next to my WOZ, my wife suddenly hates WOZ because of the short ball times and because LOTR gives you a second chance when you drain immediately. SO...I may have to wuss out and add a ball save time. I gave her the option of 5 or 8 seconds.

She said one month.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Jackson, MICHIGAN
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Charles Town, WV
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 91.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-are-you-using-ball-save and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.