12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

toto-africa.jpg
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 12 years ago

I probably just don't have enough info on this topic, but so many people seem to be already putting down the down payment on this pin.

Isn't this JJs first pin it has ever produced? Isn't it a huge gamble buying this not knowing much about JJ's quality and gameplay, etc.?

Someone enlighten me..

#2 12 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Someone enlighten me..

What? On how "search-engines" work?!?

I'm just teasing Ya' BB!
"Down Payment"??? Hardly.
The final payment for WOZ was due in December, but was extended until Jan 15th(?) I believe...
Most of us are P.I.F. already.
Just patiently waiting now.
As for the quality...
C'mon BB, cats have really good eyesight. You mean to tell me you can't see the quality and awesome selection of parts (B/W and custom JJP designed) radiating from just the whitewood alone?!? (Plus, it isn't even fully populated yet!)

Just search "WOZ" in the Pinside forum under "Find a Topic"...
I'm pretty sure there is a whole years worth of info/banter just waiting for you to discover!

You want gameplay?
Just look at the "All-Star" lineup that Jack has working on this thing!
I have seen the cabinet artwork in person and the detail is amazing...
I have the utmost faith in JJP and even more so now- seeing as how Jack stepped down from Elaut to focus more with JJP. It just means he has now fully dedicated himself to the project and is determined to make his company #1.

No regrets from me! An "Australian MM" this isn't!!!

#3 12 years ago

Its definitely a gamble but most that are in for one seem pretty pleased to this point. I hope they all enjoy the finished product! Seems to have a lot more going into it than what Stern currently puts in LEs like LCD & handmade toys ect. with a pretty similar price tag. So gamble might be well worth it in the end for those that like or don't mind the theme.

#4 12 years ago

the price on the jjp website is $6500 for the regular game. I am getting more interested, do i pay tax on that too? or am I tax free with an internet out of state purchase? or just shipping?

whats the games total cost?

#5 12 years ago

Yes, it is a huge gamble.

Everyone's so fed up with the quality of Stern's games though... it's like, if you used to dine on fine wine and lobster and filet minion*, but for the last decade, it's been box wine, fried tilapia, and (on a good day) hamburger - and then some guy starts taking preorders on wine and lobsters, even though he doesn't have the vineyard built yet, and doesn't own a lobster boat. He's hired one of your favorite wine makers, and a famous lobsterman, and vowed to do everything right. That's pretty tempting, and there's a discount if you preorder.... and the lower your preorder number, the sooner you get to taste that fine wine and eat that lobster...

I think that's what they're tapping into... people are very excited to see a return to really good pinball machines, and very sick of stern being the only game in town.

*Yes, I know that's the wrong word. Why can't google chrome correct spelling as well as google search does? In any case, i corrected it to filet minion because it sounds funny - like what the hero makes in an action movie, as he works through the badguys henchmen.

#6 12 years ago

woz looks like its shaping up to be the next tz !!Maybe im wrong but its looking pretty awsome so far

#7 12 years ago

I think it will be amazing!

#8 12 years ago

I was onboard last January knowing full well the risk. I'd spent the past several years wishing I had an NIB alternative to what Stern was doing. When Jack broke the news I wasn't about to sit on the sidelines. Figured I'd put my money where my mouth was and support someone who intended to build a killer machine.

It's been a fun journey and we're nearing the end. Can't wait to get my hands on WOZ!

-Craig

#10 12 years ago

Tons of *real* custom toys, solid experienced team, zillions of inserts, big LCD backbox, rules by Keefer, tunes by Chris Granner on an enhanced sound system... and it's a widebody. Feels more like anticipation now than a gamble. And if you're outside of NJ, no taxes will be charged--only need to pay shipping.

I suspect the regular versions will sell well once the game is out, even at $6.5k. What is really cool is the LE and regular versions will have the same toys, mechanisms, rules, etc. so there won't be a "stripped-down" version gameplay-wise. (Are you listening Stern? No. Sad.) The LE will have colored trim, optical glass, and a shaker motor. Rules and playfield mechs will be the same on both versions.

#11 12 years ago

If Toto ain't in the layout, it's a deal breaker for me. The dude...errrr...the dog rocks!

#12 12 years ago

Sure it's a gamble, but sometime this Fall we will find out one way or the other.

#13 12 years ago

If Toto ain't in the layout, it's a deal breaker for me.

Don't think they're gonna make the cut.

toto-africa.jpgtoto-africa.jpg

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from Pinballdad:

If Toto ain't in the layout, it's a deal breaker for me. The dude...errrr...the dog rocks!

right outlane has 4 toto rollovers.

#15 12 years ago

I'm not convinced until I play it for the first time.

#16 12 years ago

I have nothing but the highest hopes for JJ, but I learned long ago never to buy a car when it is the first model year, until the kinks have been worked out. So, for me, I'd like to see how this new game and company works out before plunking down a good chunk of change. Is there any doubt there will be pins available once the prepaids are sent out?

#17 12 years ago

There will be regular versions available. The LEs will be sold out.

#18 12 years ago

Fortunately the regular versions will play the same and have the same features as the LEs, so your not missing much other than cosmetics.

#19 12 years ago

so is there any credible word on when the pins will hit the street? I can't keep track of all the delays...

#20 12 years ago

They will begin final production on 3/13, and plan to have 15 machines finished per day, beginning on that date. Hoping to push that number to 20-25 as they streamline and become more efficient. That comes from Jack's daughter Jen, to me directly. That was a month or so back.

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

I'm not convinced until I play it for the first time.

Pretty much the same design team as your favorite pin. With better materials to boot!!!

#22 12 years ago
Quoted from docscott:

I can't keep track of all the delays...

What delays? I keep hearing about delays but never from JJP. Please source where you are getting this information. There has not been delays. He has followed his schedule to date so far. Sounds like people trying to start BS rumors.

#23 12 years ago

Every time I start worrying about that chunk of cash I have invested in the thing, I just have to look at that PF and remember that on top of that awesome setup, Greg Freres is doing real PF art on the sucker.

#24 12 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

What is really cool is the LE and regular versions will have the same toys, mechanisms, rules, etc. so there won't be a "stripped-down" version gameplay-wise. (Are you listening Stern? No. Sad.)

I am glad that there is just a standard and LE version, There are not the Tinman model, the Lion version, the scarecrow version, and the complete Dorthy and gang version with a pro and LE version of each. Then offer limited numbers and increase that amount by 25% after people commited.

#25 12 years ago

I put my dollars down back around last February, #81, and haven't worried in the slightest bit about the outcome after doing my due diligence on JJ

I'll enjoy playing the hell out of my WOZ and then when it's hit out of the park I'll sign up for my #81 on title 2!

What a novel concept Stern, LOTR an LOTR LE, SM and SM Black.......that's how you freaking do it.......remember those days?

I believe my 10 year old daughter, who is artistic, could take a piece of wood and use magic markers and make a play field that looks a whole lot better than AC/DC or Tron Pro for that matter...

#26 12 years ago

This game reminds me of something I have seen before....hhmmmmm?

Oh yeah......WOS (Wizard of Springfield)

- Wicked witch = Comic book guy
- Evil tree bumpers = Nuclear tower bumpers
- Wizard hole under right PF flipper = Itcy and Scratchy hole right under Flipper on right side of PF
- Left top Witches castle upper playfield = left top Living room upper playfield
- Right PF flipper shoot through (barts treehouse) up to upper playfield.
- Gaurd drop target (garage door) leading to upper playfield.
- Dorthey house exit ramp feeds left flipper = Moes tavern exit ramp feeds left flipper
- Left shot through trees(nuclear towers) to outer (cletus)loop exiting at flipper midway down right side of PF
- Exit witches castle (living room)across wire ramp (monorail) to right flipper
- Oh let me guess...multiball up in witches castle (couch)
- And a cute little (MM catapult) feeding left flipper next to the crystal ball on the middle left PF

I'm sure I have just been playing my TSPP too much lately!

Oh and I just wuv those wooby thlippers.........NOT!.......that there's anything wrong with that! Are we traveling down the yellow brick road or the hershey highway?!

Jersey Joke Pinball is going to be laughing all the way to the bank with their hilarious price tag. If they are going to **** the Simpsons, please give Homer a kiss. At least they nailed one part of the theme already....after all this time we can clearly see behind the Wizard's curtain, and it is a fraud!

Everyone else can line up for this pin. I'll just buy a Daredevil Bart super bright sequined sneaker mod and save my 6000 dollars for a shopped W20!

OOhhh, and the K.A.N.S.A.S Kwiki -'Pop'- drain..........."Thank you,come again...DING"! They should have had it spell A.S.S.A.N.I.N.E.I.D.E.A. Who among us wants to prolong a freakin' ball drain...Doh!......FAIL!
Hopefully they read these forums like politicians watch polls, and change with public opinion.

I wonder if all the Stern haters panties will be in a twist, when they realize they are buying a blatant Stern Ripoff!

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from hooch333:

I wonder if all the Stern haters panties will be in a twist, when they realize they are buying a blatant Stern Ripoff!

At least it will be one that works, with an LCD and cheaper than the Stern garbage that is being pumped out today.......man if I love TSPP I'm really gonna love WOZ, thanks JJP!

#28 12 years ago

Interesting posts.

Personally I would never spend that kinda money on a new company that has never ever produced a pinball machine. I know they have some great people working for them, but still. It's SUCH a risk.

I hope they do produce a great product though. Don't get me wrong. You guys buying in have big balls!

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Interesting posts.
Personally I would never spend that kinda money on a new company that has never ever produced a pinball machine. I know they have some great people working for them, but still. It's SUCH a risk.
I hope they do produce a great product though. Don't get me wrong. You guys buying in have big balls!

Lot of people thought that on IPB's Big Bang Bar....Wish now I'd taken that leap....$4500 was a steal looking back.

#30 12 years ago
Quoted from hooch333:

This game reminds me of something I have seen before....hhmmmmm? Oh yeah......WOS (Wizard of Springfield)

Wow, that's a lot of frustration! Why so angry? Play some more TSPP (great game!) and lighten up a little!

So do you think there are a lot of Stern haters here on the Pinside? From my point of view there are many Pinsiders who own multiple Stern games but who are disappointed with looks of the latest AC/DC offering and the general direction Stern is taking?

Personally, I don't care what the company name is, as long as they create fun and challenging pinball machines it's all good. Some competition is probably a good thing after 10 years of "monopoly" on the pinball market for Stern - But honestly I don't see any reason to be a supporter of just one company nor to bash the other company.

#31 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

$4500 was a steal

Especially considering that Gene lost $300K on that build! That's why Kingpin will be $8000 (if it ever gets made).

#32 12 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Don't think they're gonna make the cut.

It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you
There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do
I bless the rains down in Africa
Gonna take some time to do the things we never had

I am feathering my hair and gonna bust out the Sony Walkman.

#33 12 years ago
Quoted from robin:

Personally, I don't care what the company name is, as long as they create fun and challenging pinball machines it's all good. Some competition is probably a good thing after 10 years of "monopoly" on the pinball market for Stern - But honestly I don't see any reason to be a supporter of just one company nor to bash the other company.

+1...just great machines for good value, from whomever.....if you don't provide that however, no matter what anybody says here, the consumer will vote with his wallet!

If JJP stinks it up, he won't get my dollars for #2...I'll go back to old machines...

#34 12 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If JJP stinks it up, he won't get my dollars for #2...I'll go back to old machines...

That's why so much is riding on WOZ. I believe we are at a tipping point in the history of pinball. We're not just talking about the success or failure of JJP. If WOZ succeeds, the whole industry could change. Jack and his team are fully aware of this, and that's why I don't think they will let us down.

#35 12 years ago

I don't see why anybody thinks WOZ is going to be a gamble. JJP has the resources and experience, and the most seasoned team in the industry, including the software guy behind TSPP, RFM and LOTR working on the project. Plus, Jack is as concerned about making the best pinball game possible as he is it being profitable. We'll just have to wait and see what comes of it.

#36 12 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

I don't see why anybody thinks WOZ is going to be a gamble. JJP has the resources and experience, and the most seasoned team in the industry ...

I agree. The only thing I can think of that could possibly derail JJP at this point is if the new OS is buggy, and they can't get it stable.

#37 12 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

I don't see why anybody thinks WOZ is going to be a gamble. JJP has the resources and experience, and the most seasoned team in the industry

JJP appears to be a 1-man show as far as overall operations and ownership are concerned. If he gets hit by the proverbial bus that's a risk unless there is some succession plan in place or other partner(s) that "WILL" keep things going.

#38 12 years ago

Dude they have never made or released a pin before of course it's a gamble. And I know that's just like my opinion man.

#39 12 years ago

I don't think it's a gamble at all. The team has the work history under their belts. How and why would they want to release a bad pin. I think gweem is correct that this may be a turning point in pinball history. A little over a year ago look at avatar LE. Now look at transformers LE! It's already happening. Better for all of us ! Not to mention Magic Girl and Ben Hecks Zombie Land coming up.

#40 12 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Dude they have never made or released a pin before of course it's a gamble. And I know that's just like my opinion man.

I worried about that but he has been building every other gaming maching so I am not worried. Same parts, just in different locations. It is like being worried about buying a 4-wheel ATV from Honda in the 80's because before that they were only building 3-wheelers and motorcycles. They just have to make a few changes. The product does get better as time goes on as well. In thoery the next machines should be better. I am still glad I have ordered the first. The three year warranty will be nice.

#41 12 years ago

Don't forget, it's not like JJP is saying "well I sure hope we can make it and let's see what happens"...

He is basically saying to Stern, game on, and I'm going to kick your a.., and this machine is going to be a game changer...he ain't limping in and he has a ton of experience and great team!

#42 12 years ago

LOL, well I obviously have a different view point than those that already have money in on one. But as always I have no problem agreeing to disagree. I hope it works out for you all and you absolutely love it.

#43 12 years ago
Quoted from hooch333:

- Wizard hole under right PF flipper = Itcy and Scratchy hole right under Flipper on right side of PF
- Left top Witches castle upper playfield = left top Living room upper playfield
- Dorthey house exit ramp feeds left flipper = Moes tavern exit ramp feeds left flipper
- Left shot through trees(nuclear towers) to outer (cletus)loop exiting at flipper midway down right side of PF
- And a cute little (MM catapult) feeding left flipper next to the crystal ball on the middle left PF
Oh and I just wuv those wooby thlippers.........NOT!.......that there's anything wrong with that! Are we traveling down the yellow brick road or the hershey highway?!
Jersey Joke Pinball is going to be laughing all the way to the bank with their hilarious price tag. If they are going to **** The Simpsons, please give Homer a kiss. At least they nailed one part of the theme already....after all this time we can clearly see behind the Wizard's curtain, and it is a fraud!
Everyone else can line up for this pin. I'll just buy a Daredevil Bart super bright sequined sneaker mod and save my 6000 dollars for a shopped W20!
OOhhh, and the K.A.N.S.A.S Kwiki -'Pop'- drain..........."Thank you,come again...DING"! They should have had it spell A.S.S.A.N.I.N.E.I.D.E.A. Who among us wants to prolong a freakin' ball drain...Doh!......FAIL!
Hopefully they read these forums like politicians watch polls, and change with public opinion.

Holy shit dude, your right. Weird!!

#44 12 years ago
Quoted from Snowdale:

shit dude, your right

That made my stomach lurch. I was trying to figure out how you knew my Mafia Wars SN, then realized where I was.

TG AKA "shit dude, you're dead" way back when.....

#45 12 years ago
Quoted from kmoore88:

PinballHelp said:I don't see why anybody thinks WOZ is going to be a gamble. JJP has the resources and experience, and the most seasoned team in the industry

JJP appears to be a 1-man show as far as overall operations and ownership are concerned. If he gets hit by the proverbial bus that's a risk unless there is some succession plan in place or other partner(s) that "WILL" keep things going.

I think that can basically be said about every person in the pinball business. Basically nobody has much of a backup. I think worrying about that is pointless, unless you're a shareholder in the company and have millions on the line. I am pretty sure that even if something happened to Jack, the machine would still be finished. It's too far along now.

Hell, if Gene Cunningham can put out BBB, it should be a cakewalk for JJP, with a lot more resources and talent at his disposal.

#46 12 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

I am pretty sure that even if something happened to Jack, the machine would still be finished. It's too far along now.

You are correct. At MGC 2011 Jack said that he has a $2 million insurance policy in place for himself, so that if something were to happen to him the machine would still be finished. He announced this early on in order to assuage fears like this for early adopters.

#47 12 years ago

Is there a gamble that it might not be made? Yes. Is it a huge gamble? Not in my opinion. It isn't like JJ is one of us with this grand idea of building a pinball machine. He owns a company which builds other amusement and vending machines. And it seems, IMO, he is doing it right.
I wish I had the money last year to order one but I just bought a SM. Oh well, looks like not enough flow for my tastes.

#48 12 years ago
Quoted from hooch333:

OOhhh, and the K.A.N.S.A.S Kwiki -'Pop'- drain..........."Thank you,come again...DING"! They should have had it spell A.S.S.A.N.I.N.E.I.D.E.A.

This quote speaks for itself. I have nothing to add.

Quoted from hooch333:

hmmmm... who designed and programmed TSPP? Joe Balcer and Keith Johnson. Now where have I heard those names before?

#49 12 years ago
Quoted from hooch333:

I look forward to your excellent and undoubtedly forthcoming dissertations on all the other games over the years that have resemblances to each other. Perhaps you can work on AC/DC vs T2 next?

Quoted from hooch333:

Because an interactive toy is exactly the same as a big plastic one with a standup underneath it, right?

Quoted from hooch333:

Man I didn't know we were the first to put bumpers on the left side of the playfield before! I need to play more pinball!

Quoted from hooch333:

I don't know if you noticed, but there's no drop targets in front of the wizard hole.

Quoted from hooch333:

Yup, those are identical. Play exactly the same. 3 targets, 2 shots, and 2 flippers vs 6 targets, 1 shot, 1 interactive toy (well kinda more than that in a way), and 1 flipper. Got me there.

Quoted from hooch333:

I have no idea what you are talking about here.

Quoted from hooch333:

Well, missed shots for the "gaurd" target don't drain into the left orbit.

Quoted from hooch333:

Hm, I see your point. A ramp that feeds the ball back to the left flipper is the same as a ramp that feeds a ball to the left flipper, an upper playfield, and locks balls.

Quoted from hooch333:

ProTip: TAF does this too. I guess TSPP is a TAF ripoff, eh?

Quoted from hooch333:

Well there's only so many places that ball can go. I kind of like the fact it winds through the bumpers instead of just a straight shot to the right.

Quoted from hooch333:

Yeah, I plan on those rules being exactly the same.

Quoted from hooch333:

A u-turn to a popper that is fed from 2 different places is the same as MM's catapult? Riiiiiiiiight.

Quoted from hooch333:

Rest assured that, despite the tone of this post, Joe and I are glad you like it.

Quoted from hooch333:

That reference is lost on me, but I did have kind of a sheltered childhood.

Quoted from hooch333:

Jersey Joke Pinball is going to be laughing all the way to the bank with their hilarious price tag.

To be absolutely sure, is that more or less laughing than Stern will be doing with AC/DC?

Quoted from hooch333:

If they are going to **** The Simpsons, please give Homer a kiss.

Most of the time when designers' playfields are similar, people call it "evolution" or something similar. Williams did call LW3 "stealing" but it wasn't proved in court, a fact Gary Stern is absolutely proud of.

Quoted from hooch333:

At least they nailed one part of the theme already....after all this time we can clearly see behind the Wizard's curtain, and it is a fraud!

Are you saying we're not building the game?

Quoted from hooch333:

Congratulations!

Quoted from hooch333:

Yeah, no good ideas will come out of that stupid setup at all.

Quoted from hooch333:

ProTip #2: Don't count on it.

Quoted from hooch333:

So, even if I accepted the fact that WOZ is a "ripoff" of TSPP (which I do not), can you really ripoff yourself? Guess I'd like to hear your opinion on LOTR vs Sopranos, a very famous controversy, too.

#50 12 years ago

Man Keith,
When you post... You really POST!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 16.95
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 24.50
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-and-jersey-jack-etc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.