h10B21C29.jpg
th-10.jpeg
pic6.jpg
pic5.jpg
pic4.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic1.jpg
There are 249 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 11 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

Can we please get back to being happy about the great WOZ info?
You guys are killin my buzz.....

Don't let it kill your buzz. Put some Dark Side of the Moon on and play all those other HUO pins.

#202 11 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

Can we restart this thread again with information on it that pertains to the topic?
It has been totally hijacked.

I think we need a live feed area. That would be awesome. The live feed could have no specific topic... just pinball.

#203 11 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Anti Jar Jar lingo should be in the Pinside rules.

Baaaaaaaad bombin'!

#204 11 years ago

Im was so happy to get an update today from JJP as ive been in since almost the start and really was getting close to backing out this last week.....So glad I didnt, WOZ #259 and I cant wait till it comes home!

#205 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

The burn in process is essentially a thorough "test drive" of each game. Making sure everything works, each switch tested, each mech tested, voltages checked everywhere, screws double checked for torque, etc..

If the games were ready to go with just the need to drop these boards in, why are they checking screws for torque now? Maybe i am misunderstanding this burn in process... but when i hear "burn in" i think electronics not mechs and sounds like just another delay unless a game ships today.

#206 11 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

If the games were ready to go with just the need to drop these boards in, why are they checking screws for torque now? Maybe i am misunderstanding this burn in process... but when i hear "burn in" i think electronics not mechs and sounds like just another delay unless a game ships today.

So... you really can't see any reason why a "burn-in" process might want to run motors, flash lights and fire solenoids for a time?

#207 11 years ago

You know what - a live webcam in the factory would be an absolutely brilliant marketing strategy. You wouldn't have a closeup, so nothing confidential would be at risk. But wouldn't it be cool to see the workers putting the pins together, even from a distance. They could install a wireless webcam for $300 easy. Brilliant!

#208 11 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

Too bad JJP/Stern has turned into a Chevy/Ford thing.

Great analogy with Chevy/Ford, or should I say Ford/Chevy?? It shows that the Stern supporters recognize JJP as a legitimate competitor. We already know the opposite is true. When there's two main competitors, some people will take a hard stand on one side or the other with the remaining people being rational!

#209 11 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

How can you test a game without a board in? The boards aren't held in with chewing gum and duct tape. The playfield isn't in the game when they install the board. Mechs which you think don't need testing include coils / motors. In fact every one of them has an associated electronic component.

It's obvious each game needs a thorough QA process WHEN COMPLETE. It would be totally half assed to assume the game will work perfectly when the boards are installed and no human error was involved.

Could you imagine a car company not testing each component of a car when it's finally assembled? Yeah that tie rod holding the front wheel straight looks good on the assembly line. We don't need to road test it after we put the engine in. Would you feel comfortable putting your family in it knowing that? I wouldn't.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burn-in

#210 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Those specifics I won't go in to. That stuff is on my to-do list. Phone-home features I've been sketching out since I came on board (and even before hand as an aftermarket mod). Emailing the owner with debug information so it can be put in a ticket (or pasted here) for help.

I think this is the exciting part of the future of pinball and what will keep both companies striving to put out better and better products. The best is yet to come (from both)!

#211 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

The playfield isn't in the game when they install the board.

Really? Why not?

Quoted from Pinchroma:

How can you test a game without a board in?

Its not like they had NO BOARDS.. why would they not build the games, test mechs with those and put in full production boards as the last step? Obviously each game needs to go through a dry run that all features are working (wonder if JJP programmed something vs. old manual testing), but I would think that is a test more of the board functions working vs the assembly process of the game.

Quoted from Pinchroma:

It's obvious each game needs a thorough QA process WHEN COMPLETE.

Yes.. Then why are you saying the playfield isnt in the game when they install the board?

Quoted from Pinchroma:

Could you imagine a car company not testing each component of a car when it's finally assembled?

You used the cargument. You lose.

#212 11 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Really? Why not?

Its not like they had NO BOARDS.. why would they not build the games, test mechs with those and put in full production boards as the last step? Obviously each game needs to go through a dry run that all features are working (wonder if JJP programmed something vs. old manual testing), but I would think that is a test more of the board functions working vs the assembly process of the game.

Yes.. Then why are you saying the playfield isnt in the game when they install the board?

You used the cargument. You lose.

Things are modularized. Such as the playfield and all its components. The playfield goes in the cabinet when complete. The board chassis goes in the cabinet when complete.

I can't see how you don't understand it but its obvious your agenda is to stir up conflict and propaganda when there isn't any. These are just facts.

Ill use a non "cargument" since you don't like to hear accurate analogies.

"OMG why don't they assemble the components of my Rolex while its in the watch body, sounds like they are just creating delays by doing intricate work outside of the housing"

Yeah that doesn't sound ridiculous.

#213 11 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

You do know there's like a dozen lighting circuit boards that get screwed to the bottom of the playfield, and some of those are what they've been waiting for until this week?

You're suggesting to save time they screw and wire in one of maybe ten complete sets of prototype boards, install the playfield into the cabinet, run a burn-in cycle, remove the playfield, unscrew the boards for another playfield, wait for production boards to arrive, screw and wire those in, put the playfield back in the cabinet... and since all that work has since been done to the playfield, now run a second complete burn-in cycle?

#214 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Things are modularized. Such as the playfield and all its components. The playfield goes in the cabinet when complete. The board chassis goes in the cabinet when complete.

Yup. Its modular. So playfield goes in when its complete. Its not complete without the boards? They are in the same module?

Quoted from Pinchroma:

its obvious your agenda is to stir up conflict and propaganda when there isn't any.

That was not my agenda, but then again its your modus operandi to assume that by default.

Quoted from Pinchroma:

"OMG why don't they assemble the components of my Rolex while its in the watch body, sounds like they are just creating delays by doing intricate work outside of the housing"

If JJP was waiting on screws, and I suggested they install the playfield without them maybe this analogy would make sense, but since a pinball machine is modular, I would say what you are telling me is they cannot assemble the band portion of the watch until the internal batteries show up at the factory

#215 11 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

You do know there's like a dozen lighting circuit boards that get screwed to the bottom of the playfield, and some of those are what they've been waiting for until this week?

No, I did not know that. Thanks for explaining that in a non-condescending manner. From all I have read here and on the JJP forum I thought the Boards they were waiting for were the main driver boards located in the bottom of the cabinet.

#216 11 years ago

They were waiting for those, but the last stragglers appeared to be three LED boards. Here's a quick photo I dug up. The boards range in size from big to little tiny things with one LED and a few connectors on them.

Facebook_13-03-21_PinballStar_11.jpgFacebook_13-03-21_PinballStar_11.jpg

#217 11 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

They were waiting for those, but the last stragglers appeared to be three LED boards. Here's a quick photo I dug up. The boards range in size from big to little tiny things with one LED and a few connectors on them.

Don't bother. He chooses not to understand it. Installing parts in a game with the playfield in the cabinet is how all the restorers do it too. It's significantly easier and less time consuming to install parts that have above and below PF components with the playfield in the game /sarcasm

Now back to our regularly scheduled program

#218 11 years ago

I think it is a good thing they are doing extensive testing.

#219 11 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

Why does this look like a P2K but the head it's resting on, doesn't?

#220 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Why does this look like a P2K but the head it's resting on, doesn't?

The only similarities are the playfield rails and partly the location of the I/O board. There isn't much else that even remotely reminds me of Pin2k.

#221 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I think it is a good thing they are doing extensive testing.

Me too. Especially in a brand new game, new employees, a brand new system, completely new vendors and fresh assembly facility. Test away dudes! And thanks for the updates.

#222 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

The only similarities are the playfield rails and partly the location of the I/O board. There isn't much else that even remotely reminds me of Pin2k.

Except p2k is the only one to use rails like that.

#223 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Except p2k is the only one to use rails like that.

exactly I am agreeing with you. Pin2k used tuberails. Woz uses tuberails. That's more or less where the similarities end. The tube rails are needed as the playfield alone i would guess is like 150+ lbs fully populated. Lifting that PF is crazy even on the rail system..

#224 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Don't bother. He chooses not to understand it.

Did you read my post to Sunfox? I didnt understand that the boards were playfield boards.

You +10000 my post last week when Derek was going off, but you would not remember that because you are just a clown with an agenda.

#225 11 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

you are just a clown with an agenda.

Now that is true and funny

#226 11 years ago

If they screw up something mechanical, it would be a bad start, so testing is good. I'm guessing shipping will start a week from Monday.

#227 11 years ago

Can I trade in my WOZ preorder for a Hobbit? LOL. I like what I'm seeing for the Hobbit so far but the WOZ is another story. There may be a WOZ for sale shortly after I get it

I also didn't realize JJP was waiting on LED boards that go on the underside of the play field. I was under the impression that it was only the system boards that go in to bottom of the cabinet.

Pappy

#228 11 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

I also didn't realize JJP was waiting on LED boards that go on the underside of the play field. I was under the impression that it was only the system boards that go in to bottom of the cabinet.

You KNEW, you just choose not to understand it!

#229 11 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

I'm guessing shipping will start a week from Monday.

Maybe, but then the next question is how long until I get my game. I'm probably in the middle of the pack for ordering. I'm thinking a few more months IF there are no more delays. I'm betting there will be. You just can't predict everything.

Pappy

#230 11 years ago

Pappy I think pin star will do a trade for hobbit.

#231 11 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

If Joe does not I will make that trade/deal! I have a waiting list and have extra ones to sell of The Hobbit LE but no extra ECLEWOZ
Buddy

#232 11 years ago

I would like to thank Pinchroma for posting these tidbits of WOZ information.

I'm curious what was the atom processor replaced with ?

#233 11 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

As masochistic as this sounds, I look forward to seeing not just Game Specific code updates, but also updates of the JJP operating system. I'm sure most of that will be invisible, but it will be cool to try and figure out the implications in game programming options that arise from subtle things that appear in the diagnostics/utilities menus. I dont know if I'm making sense here, and I know it seems really esoteric, but I love watching a new platform arise de novo.

I agree. It will be exciting to install new code and see what enhancements it adds to the game. I suspect many of the updates won't even be noticeable as the updated code may effect portions of the rule set we haven't gotten to yet during normal game play. Can you imagine how long it would take to see change in code that effected only the Valinor mode in LOTR?

#234 11 years ago
Quoted from B9:

I would like to thank Pinchroma for posting these tidbits of WOZ information.
I'm curious what was the atom processor replaced with ?

Wont give the specific processor but its socket 1155, the OS is 64bit.

#235 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Why? You only have to go into the bios to see what it is.

#236 11 years ago
Quoted from doughslingers:

dannunz said:

If Joe does not I will make that trade/deal! I have a waiting list and have extra ones to sell of The Hobbit LE but no extra ECLEWOZ
Buddy

I'll keep you guys in mind. I have to get my WOZ first and play it. May be a few months or more.

Has Jack confirmed if The Hobbit is going to be a wide body?

Pappy

#237 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Sweet! Now I understand why there are no more performance issues

I believe that you can get an i7 in an 1155 socket (not that you need an i7)

#238 11 years ago

Yes - it has been confirmed to be a widebody

#239 11 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Yes I know how to do it . But I'd rather have folks do their own investigation.

#240 11 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

I think Pinchroma is just holding back as to not give too much away... we'll all find out in good time

#241 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Yes I know how to do it . But I'd rather have folks do their own investigation.

I meant its not a secret since it so easily obtained.

#242 11 years ago

I thought Jack has mentioned that all JJP releases for the foreseeable future will be widebody's.

#243 11 years ago
Quoted from goodgameslover:

I thought Jack has mentioned that all JJP releases for the foreseeable future will be widebody's.

I heard that right out of Jacks mouth . Widebody

#244 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I heard that right out of Jacks mouth . Widebody

Given how much is packed in the bottom of the cabinet In its current design a standard body wouldn't fit everything I think. I haven't measured but just my gut says the extra few inches makes a big difference.

#245 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

my gut says the extra few inches makes a big difference.

Thats what she said!

#246 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Thats what she said!

LOL. Yeah chicks dig "widebodies".

#247 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

exactly I am agreeing with you. Pin2k used tuberails. Woz uses tuberails. That's more or less where the similarities end. The tube rails are needed as the playfield alone i would guess is like 150+ lbs fully populated. Lifting that PF is crazy even on the rail system..

Was not aware WOZ used Tube rails. And I don't see 555 twist sockets on there, so I guess it is a WOZ. I should have looked more closely at the lamp boards. You buttonhooked me!

#248 11 years ago

If you see the "fish" lamp board it's a woz . Dead giveaway. At least that's what I call that board

#249 11 years ago

Don't know if I ever concentrated on a WOZ with the hood up. But now I know what to look for. As soon as I saw the Tube rails I thought it was EP1 as I own RFM and know it wasn't that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.50
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 16.95
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 5.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

There are 249 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-and-hobbit-updates/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.