ale_gary_daniele.jpg
41533-i.jpg
41532-i.jpg
41531-i.jpg
20140801_170800.jpg
20140801_170809-566.jpg
20140801_170809.jpg
20140801_170745.jpg
There are 352 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.
#51 9 years ago

It looks like the below mylar pieces should pevent wear in the areas mentioned above where a Cliffy isn't possible to install.

Pops

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=303

Slingshot mylar

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=304

For in front of Winkie drop target

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=305

Also, check out these below.

http://pinballpal.com/stealth/

This is slightly off topic but for those that have performed playfield swaps do you recommend installing mylar around the pops?

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from Twilight1:

Wow that disappointing!!! Hope sterns pf hold up better then that.

Don't worry about your Sterns

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

So… will Monday (tomorrow) break the record for Hobbit refunds?

No, but maybe the record for playfield protectors.

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

Don't worry about your Sterns

I would recommend checking out the thread below. All games are susceptible to wear and extreme wear if the game isn't maintained which includes changing the balls, cleaning the playfield, waxing the game and changing rubbers as needed. I've seen an HUO LOTR that looks like a heavily used on location game simply because it wasn't cleaned for years. On the opposite end I've seen maintained on location games that look nearly as good as a low play HUO game.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-pro-playfield-wear

41531-i.jpg41531-i.jpg
41532-i.jpg41532-i.jpg
41533-i.jpg41533-i.jpg

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I would recommend checking out the thread below. All games are susceptible to wear and extreme wear if the game isn't maintained which includes changing the balls, cleaning the playfield, waxing the game and changing rubbers as needed. I've seen an HUO LOTR that looks like a heavily used on location game simply because it wasn't cleaned for years. On the opposite end I've seen maintained on location games that look nearly as good as a low play HUO game.
41531-i.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
41532-i.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
41533-i.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

That spot near 3x does not look like ball wear

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

That spot near 3x does not look like ball wear

Even if it isn't the other 6+ spots are...

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

41531-i.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
41532-i.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
41533-i.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

I'll say it again ... That WOZ playfield is chipping, not worn.

It's not normal wear like you see on old games where the artwork gets gradually rubbed away over time by the ball. It's gotta be some kind of defect in the process making it more brittle or fragile than it ought to be. The question is how common the defect is and whether it was limited to older playfields.

#58 9 years ago

from an automotive bodywork side, it looks as though the base paint did not adhere properly to the playfield. Its chipping off where it has pulled up from the play field itself, not from wear.

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Even if it isn't the other 6+ spots are...

If the ones by 3x are not you have to question all just what the hell did the owner of that game do

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

I'll say it again ... That WOZ playfield is chipping, not worn.
It's not normal wear like you see on old games where the artwork gets gradually rubbed away over time by the ball. It's gotta be some kind of defect in the process making it more brittle or fragile than it ought to be. The question is how common the defect is and whether it was only on early ones.

I've never seen a WOZ that worn just like like I've never seen an ACDC (not an old game) that worn. Does that ACDC playfield have a clear coat defect as well? I don't see why there would be that much wear an inch in front of the right ramp on ACDC...Must be a one off like others suggested in that thread?

#61 9 years ago

I don't understand why even a route operator wouldn't make more effort to protect their investment by putting on Mylar upfront and maintaining the game every 2 or 3 months. It's not like the 90's were they have 100's of games to keep up with and can afford to write off the upfront investment. The WOZ and ACDC posted here are essentially worth pennies on the dollar now. Even so, 4000 plays is not that much to justify anything close to that level of damage. Popular B/W games probably had that many plays within a few months in the old days. This thead will be up to several hundred posts in a week.

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That's a slight relief. The game I'm going to check out this week has been on location since at least July 2013 so I'm sure it has far more then 4k plays on it.

I know of a WOZ standard still on location that has been there since late 2013, so way over 4k plays are on this game. Last time I looked there was a little wear by the Winkie target, but nothing like in the photos. As others have said, there's something wrong with that batch of playfields, it would be nice to be able to pin it down to a specific timeline.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I've never seen a WOZ that worn just like like I've never seen an ACDC (not an old game) that worn. Does that ACDC playfield have a defect as well? I don't see why there would be that much wear an inch in front of the right ramp on ACDC...Must be a one off like others suggested in that thread?

The damage shown in the pictures does not look to me like the kind of wear caused by lack of cleaning or old balls.

Also, this isn't the first thread about a WOZ playfield chipping like this, and it seems like several people have reported seeing this same problem on other WOZ pins. But there are also many WOZs out there with just as many plays and no chipping. That hints at a major problem affecting some unknown subset of WOZ playfields.

#64 9 years ago

So to answer some of your questions. This game is a route game of mine that being said 4,000 plays on location or at home doesn't make a difference. Plays are plays. This game was cleaned on a monthly basis and balls are changed when they show wear. I believe they were changed twice according to my notes. The first sign of the wear started around the Throne Room shot about 1,000 plays in. Coil settings are default. This is an early run of WOZ. JJP did rectify the situation by sending a replacement playfield but it isn't going to be installed while on route. I have plenty of Stern games with the same about of play as this WOZ with very little sign of wear. ACDC might be the only one with some wear in lower playfield by the ball kicker.

#65 9 years ago

How is it that 20-25 year old W/B games with 15K+ games on them barely show any shooter lane wear, scoop wear, and definitely none around the pops like WOZ (and Stern games, for that matter)? And these are games where mylar or Cliffy protection wasn't even a consideration back then. What a joke!

Apparently, all of the "technological advancements" that people ridiculously talk about with these newer games never seemed to translate to a more durable playfield.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

How is it that 20-25 year old W/B games with 15K+ games on them barely show any shooter lane wear, scoop wear, and definitely none around the pops like WOZ (and Stern games, for that matter)? And these are games where mylar or Cliffy protection wasn't even a consideration back then. What a joke!
Apparently, all of the "technological advancements" that people ridiculously talk about with these newer games never seemed to translate to a more durable playfield.

These WOZ playfields barely show any wear either. I don't think this chipping is the same thing. There must have been some kind of problem with a batch of playfields.

#67 9 years ago

When I read threads like this and recall all the JJP marketing hype about Stern's poor quality/craftsmanship, I just shake my head. Add all the other BS and it's hard for me to imagine buying a JJP pin. Stern isn't perfect, but at least they don't "Over promise and under-deliver"...

#68 9 years ago

Glad to hear that it is one of the early playfields since I have the RR version with a Mirco playfield. I am hoping mine will hold up better than that.

#69 9 years ago

At least they provided a replacement play field. Still going to take quite some time to do the swap though.

#70 9 years ago

IMO these pictures mean nothing without context. Was the game ever cleaned/waxed? Were the balls pitted? Both of those things can really chew up a game.

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

from an automotive bodywork side, it looks as though the base paint did not adhere properly to the playfield. Its chipping off where it has pulled up from the play field itself, not from wear.

Yep , someone did not prep/clean the surface properly before the artwork was applied . In one picture you can see where a chunk of paint is missing that the surface underneath is shinny , paint does not adhere to shinny surfaces .

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from jamieflowers:

IMO these pictures mean nothing without context. Was the game ever cleaned/waxed? Were the balls pitted? Both of those things can really chew up a game.

Quoted from exflexer:

So to answer some of your questions. This game is a route game of mine that being said 4,000 plays on location or at home doesn't make a difference. Plays are plays. This game was cleaned on a monthly basis and balls are changed when they show wear. I believe they were changed twice according to my notes. The first sign of the wear started around the Throne Room shot about 1,000 plays in. Coil settings are default. This is an early run of WOZ. JJP did rectify the situation by sending a replacement playfield but it isn't going to be installed while on route. I have plenty of Stern games with the same about of play as this WOZ with very little sign of wear. ACDC might be the only one with some wear in lower playfield by the ball kicker.

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

When I read threads like this and recall all the JJP marketing hype about Stern's poor quality/craftsmanship, I just shake my head. Add all the other BS and it's hard for me to imagine buying a JJP pin. Stern isn't perfect, but at least they don't "Over promise and under-deliver"...

Really? Did you buy a Tron LE nib? TFLE nib? Features on TF and coin doors on Trons were outright be lied to.

I owned both, love the pins, but don't say silly things like that.

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

I know of a WOZ standard still on location that has been there since late 2013, so way over 4k plays are on this game. Last time I looked there was a little wear by the Winkie target, but nothing like in the photos. As others have said, there's something wrong with that batch of playfields, it would be nice to be able to pin it down to a specific timeline.

I'm inclined to believe this. Long term durability cannot always be judged examining a brand new product, IE PF manufacture.

Anyone recall who made JJP pf's?

I thought Mirco? Don't remember.

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I'm inclined to believe this. Long term durability cannot always be judged examining a brand new product, IE PF manufacture.
Anyone recall who made JJP pf's?

This is most likely a Bader playfield.

All Hobbits will have Mirco Playfields

We replaced this playfield already..... High power settings have an effect too - we sell PF protectors and we have a WOZ with 29,900 plays from the Smithsonian and now at iPlay that has no issues at all....that was a Bader too - go figure -

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from exflexer:

This is an early run of WOZ. JJP did rectify the situation by sending a replacement playfield but it isn't going to be installed while on route.

I'm not sure I'm following the point of the thread. At first I thought you were suggesting this is "normal" and what WOZ owners should expect at 4K plays. Then the info that JJP sent you a replacement playfield, which suggests that JJP addressed a defect (thus not normal).

I have one of the first ACDC LEs and my playfield chipped early on. Stern sent me a replacement. Would it have been disingenuous of me to post a warning to all ACDC owners that at 500 plays they should expect chipping? I think so - it was a defect, addressed by Stern. Just like your defect was addressed by JJP.

Maybe I'm missing something.

#77 9 years ago

Bader also made the play fields for other people too.

Post edited by JerseyJack: sorry I seemed to give too much information

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Really? Did you buy a TRON LE nib? TFLE nib? Features on TF and coin doors on Trons were outright be lied to.
I owned both, love the pins, but don't say silly things like that.

I've owned (and currently own) many NIB Stern pins. What I said isn't silly...it's my experience. I've been critical of Stern on many occasions, however they don't over market and sell themselves (like JJP did and does). Sure, they've had screw-ups and missteps, but they don't go around telling everyone how wonderful they are either. Particularly on public forums like Pinside...

#79 9 years ago

remember that acdc from the shore a few years ago it was worse than this.

#80 9 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

JJP puts out a great product. There's going to be a bad few in every bunch of ALL products. You hear about the few (less than 10, by my count) on Pinside because this is where people come to bitch about stuff and (hopefully) be supported by others.

So let's call it 10 playfields that have problems and 2000+ that are fine. Not a bad ratio if you ask me...especially with the first product from a new company.

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

JJP puts out a great product. There's going to be a bad few in every bunch of ALL products. You hear about the few (less than 10, by my count) on Pinside because this is where people come to bitch about stuff and (hopefully) be supported by others.
So let's call it 10 playfields that have problems and 2000+ that are fine. Not a bad ratio if you ask me...especially with the first product from a new company.

If it's only 10 PF's, then it's obviously not a problem. I have several B/W titles that have more than 4000 plays and hardly any PF wear (STTNG, TZ, MB), so the post & pics were pretty shocking.

#82 9 years ago

Agreed. But at least JJP backs up their product with a replacement PF.

People can bitch about JJP's shortcomings - the LED problems being the biggest - but Jack has always taken care of his customers. They're still helping me out 18 months later...when my warranty supposedly expired in September.

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

We replaced this playfield already..... High power settings have an effect too - we sell PF protectors and we have a WOZ with 29,900 plays from the Smithsonian and now at iPlay that has no issues at all....that was a Bader too - go figure -

At some point it seems as though someone skipped a step or two in the process of making a few playfields This would be why some have problems some don't . Maybe it was a Friday and the worker in charge of prepping these wanted to get home early or something , and a bad batch of playfields were produced . Now you've got these playfields out there not only hurting your reputation, but the fact that you are sending replacements is also costing you money . I would hope that the company that made them has resolved the problem , and is also reimbursing you for the cost of any playfield you have sent to someone with a defective one .

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

At some point it seems as though someone skipped a step or two in the process of making a few playfields This would be why some have problems some don't . Maybe it was a Friday and the worker in charge of prepping these wanted to get home early or something , and a bad batch of playfields were produced . Now you've got these playfields out there not only hurting your reputation, but the fact that you are sending replacements is also costing you money . I would hope that the company that made them has resolved the problem , and is also reimbursing you for the cost of any playfield you have sent to someone with a defective one .

Bader makes a quality product - everyone can have problems. Whatever they have been - we have taken care of them

Post edited by JerseyJack: better clarification

#85 9 years ago

I have close to 3500 plays on mine and I have no issues at all. I've got the usual ball trails through the outlanes but nothing like that. Of course, I clean it every 2-3 weeks and change the balls every 3 months.

#86 9 years ago

Growing pains ugh. The future should look brighter. Now, what's lawlor's theme you say?

#87 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

People can bitch about JJP's shortcomings - the LED problems being the biggest - but Jack has always taken care of his customers. They're still helping me out 18 months later...when my warranty supposedly expired in September.

2 years ago at the Christmas party Jack puts on, my friend mentioned to Jack how he accidently broke one the letters off his State Fair balloon. Without flinching, Jack walked right up to the box on the assembly line and handed him a new one. Real nice guy.

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Hopefully a populated playfield? Of all the games I have ever had WOZ is the one I like working on least. Swapping an unpopulated playfield in WOZ would suck even for me, I can't imagine a novice trying his hand at this task (not to say the OP is a novice).

Obviously this is chipping and not wear. A sign of poor quality control by JJP on a limited number of machines. Most WOZ owners should not worry, just as most ACDC owners should not worry about theirs looking like the defective one above. And yes, a manufacturer is just as responsible for the quality of supplier's products as they are for in-house product (read ISO-9000).

#89 9 years ago

What ball replacements are people using with good success with the magnet activity in WOZ?

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

What ball replacements are people using with good success with the magnet activity in WOZ?

I put these in my WOZ as well as all of my games.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1325

#91 9 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

We resolved the problem by eliminating that vendor

I can't say it enough how awesome it is when a high level VP or CEO of ANY pinball vendor/manufacturer takes time out of his/her busy schedule to hop into the wild wild west of the internet (a public, mostly anonymous internet forum) and kindly and professionally clears up speculation over a concern in a timely manner. We are so fortunate to have this forum and the participation of (most) manufacturers and part/mod vendors.

To me is says:
1. "We care so much about our brand to ensure our customers and future customers have timely and accurate information about our products, even if it means commenting/responding in public forums (sticking the neck way out there)."

Ever since I entered the hobby in 2012, I've had the same question:

"When manufacturers/vendors do NOT show up and discuss ideas with us, how do they think they are helping their brand?"

Well done, JJP, Spooky, (and many other vendors).

-mof

#92 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I can't say it enough how awesome it is when a high level VP or CEO of ANY pinball vendor/manufacturer takes time out of his/her busy schedule to hop into the wild wild west of the internet (a public, mostly anonymous internet forum) and kindly and professionally clears up speculation over a concern in a timely manner. We are so fortunate to have this forum and the participation of (most) manufacturers and part/mod vendors.

On a Sunday morning as well.

#93 9 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

We resolved the problem by eliminating that vendor

Which is great until my machine starts chipping like the OP's, then what? Im past the 1 year warranty and only have 200 plays, but....

#94 9 years ago
Quoted from JerseyJack:

Bader also made the play fields for Spooky AMH

WTH did that have to do with anything as of yet? Haven't heard any report of AMH playfields chipping, even if they did. And furthermore, why do you feel the need to address a competitors choice of vendor? We can't even photoshop a mockup of your game, but you're going to give us information on your competitors that you technically shouldn't even have? (Yeah I know it's kind of a small insulated world..there's only so many people making playfields, but still...the point is the same..)

Why not have just made the first post, which was good, and fine, and leave it at that?

#95 9 years ago

I have a Slick Chick with about 90,000 plays on it, no clear coat, and it has less wear than the PF on this WoZ.

Quoted from JerseyJack:

Bader also made the play fields for Spooky AMH

Nice. Throw a competitor's name in there as a defense.

#96 9 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Which is great until my machine starts chipping like the OP's, then what? Im past the 1 year warranty and only have 200 plays, but....

Welcome to the bitchfest! In previous ramblings of the pinball population on Pinside JJP offers a case by case warranty. All you have to do is send an Email and they will respond. If history serves correctly they have taken care of all know problems with customers.

#97 9 years ago

Meanwhile, back at Stern....

ale_gary_daniele.jpgale_gary_daniele.jpg
#98 9 years ago

Although I have played my WOZ several months now I'm still amazed to hear or see something not discovered before. I was just cleaning the glass and the tin man says "You want me to oil the flippers?"
Someone at JJP has a great sense of humor.

#99 9 years ago
Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

Welcome to the bitchfest! In previous ramblings of the pinball population on Pinside JJP offers a case by case warranty. All you have to do is send an Email and they will respond. If history serves correctly they have taken care of all know problems with customers.

Yeah, I don't know. I love my wozle but im seriously getting worried about all the issues. I opened a ticket, it took days and me asking why it was taking so long to get a response.... The response wasn't helpful at all and basically said we cant help.

Ive been a huge supporter and always on the positive side but im not impressed.

#100 9 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Meanwhile, back at Stern....

ale_gary_daniele.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

You forgot the caption: "We charged the same amount of money for half the machine and got away with it!"

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 5.00
13,000 (OBO)
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 16.95
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.50
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 91.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 352 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-after-4000-plays/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.