You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1 (resized).jpg
lightboard-diagram.jpg
woz-boards (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I've got a WOZ ECLE early version. This is a location machine and I've had alot of problems with the light boards, replacing many of them, some more than once. I recently had WOZLED6 along with a GI board go out. I talked with Jack and he agreed to send me a whole new set of buffered boards. Since my machine is an early model it is running 5v boards.

When I got the replacement boards, there was a note that said they ran out of the 5v boards for WOZLED2, WOZLED5 and WOZLED6. They included the 7.5v version of these boards and said they would work fine in my machine. I've put in a call to JJP's tech support to confirm this and they said they would have to talk to their engineers in Chicago to verify this and call me back, saying it could be a few days.

Also, my original WOZLED6 board had a single red wire with a connector that plugged into a connector in the wiring harness loom under the playfield. The new WOZLED6 board does not have this wire. The tech I talked to said this was not a problem and that connector is no longer used.

Has anyone used a mix of 5v and 7.5v boards in a earlier machine that's made for 5v boards?

#2 6 years ago

You can mix, no problem.

What's the build date on your machine?

#3 6 years ago

Build date is 9/5/2013. I got an email from Frank @ JJP and said you can use up to (3) WOZLED 7.5v big boards in a 5v machine with no problems. Played a few games and so far so good.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from debaser:

Build date is 9/5/2013. I got an email from Frank @ JJP and said you can use up to (3) WOZLED 7.5v big boards in a 5v machine with no problems. Played a few games and so far so good.

The reason I asked is yours is in the date range of the early build machines that have lockup problems with any version of 6.xx software installed if you leave them on. If you have the problem, it will lock up within 24 hours (sometimes in as little as 3-4 hours) if left on with any 6.xx version running. When it happens, the screen will be frozen, but the attract mode lightshow will still work, and it will accept money. You just can't start a game. VERY annoying for this pin on a route.

IF you have one of these machines, the only two solutions are to revert to 5.05, which has no problems on the early motherboard because it ran a earlier Linux kernel without the chipset bug(s), or change the motherboard and CPU. I recently converted an original 8/26/2013 ECLE machine with the issue to the newer motherboard/cpu and confirmed it solves the lockup problem which is related to buggy Linux drivers for the video chipset used in the newer 6.xx software. Thread with details and parts noted is here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-6xx-attract-mode-lockups

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from debaser:

Your WOZ's build date is towards the end of builds using the 5V light boards. JJP switched to the 7.5V unbuffered light boards for WOZ sometime in September of 2013.

My WOZ has a build date of 10/24/2013 and has the 7.5V unbuffered light boards. I seem to recall reading that it was around the middle of September 2013 when JJP started to use the 7.5V unbuffered light boards on WOZ.

Gord

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The reason I asked is yours is in the date range of the early build machines that have lockup problems with any version of 6.xx software installed if you leave them on. If you have the problem, it will lock up within 24 hours (sometimes in as little as 3-4 hours) if left on with any 6.xx version running. When it happens, the screen will be frozen, but the attract mode lightshow will still work, and it will accept money. You just can't start a game. VERY annoying for this pin on a route.
IF you have one of these machines, the only two solutions are to revert to 5.05, which has no problems on the early motherboard because it ran a earlier Linux kernel without the chipset bug(s), or change the motherboard and CPU. I recently converted an original 8/26/2013 ECLE machine with the issue to the newer motherboard/cpu and confirmed it solves the lockup problem which is related to buggy Linux drivers for the video chipset used in the newer 6.xx software. Thread with details and parts noted is here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-6xx-attract-mode-lockups

This is a location machine and has been since we bought it. It's on for about 12 hours a day. Early on we had 1 or 2 lock ups but haven't seen one of those in a couple years and we are running the latest software (well, the latest before this last update that just came out).

1 year later
#7 4 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Your WOZ's build date is towards the end of builds using the 5V light boards. JJP switched to the 7.5V unbuffered light boards for WOZ sometime in September of 2013.
My WOZ has a build date of 10/24/2013 and has the 7.5V unbuffered light boards. I seem to recall reading that it was around the middle of September 2013 when JJP started to use the 7.5V unbuffered light boards on WOZ.
Gord

I was told by JJP tech support that 5v buffered led boards are as good as the 7.5v buffered boards. The biggest problems come from unbuffered boards whether 5v or 7.5v.

2 weeks later
#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I was told by JJP tech support that 5v buffered led boards are as good as the 7.5v buffered boards. The biggest problems come from unbuffered boards whether 5v or 7.5v.

How do you know if you have a buffered board?

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBubbles:

How do you know if you have a buffered board?

The little daughterboard is the buffer part. Some of the latest ones before 2.0 light system have it integrated into the light board, but most are add-ons.

woz-boards (resized).jpgwoz-boards (resized).jpg
11 months later
#10 3 years ago

I have a 2014 build with the 7.5 boards. The lights for the slings and flippers are only displaying red and blue. Any ideas where to start?

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from MooButt:

I have a 2014 build with the 7.5 boards. The lights for the slings and flippers are only displaying red and blue. Any ideas where to start?

You have to figure out which board (or boards) are bad by jumping over them with the cables, connecting the "out" from before the board with the problem to the "in" on the board after the suspect board. When you jump over a board, you MUST remove it from the system on the menu or the colors upstream will not be right.

Here's the diagram (click to make bigger):
lightboard-diagram.jpglightboard-diagram.jpg

Looks like your problem area is between 19 and 21, if it's just the sling area. Did you do the system menu LED test to see if any others don't display Red, Green, Blue, White properly? You may have a bad one earlier in the chain (towards the top of the PF) that you're not aware of.

#12 3 years ago

Looks like I’m having the same issue with 4 thru 7. Thank you for posting this. I’ll check the boards in the next couple days and post an update.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from MooButt:

Looks like I’m having the same issue with 4 thru 7. Thank you for posting this. I’ll check the boards in the next couple days and post an update.

4-7 may be your root problem and the others around the flippers might be fine. If you have a failing board that's a low number, it can cause color errors on any of the higher-number boards. That's why you need to start at 1 and jump over the first problem board, then remove it from the menu, then test and repeat if you find another board. Has to be very systematic, or it will take you forever and you might end up taking good boards out thinking they're bad.

1 week later
#14 3 years ago

So I replaced 1-10 and 17-21, all fixed! Only issue I have now is it’s not kicking balls into the trough all the time now and sometimes feeding 2. The multiball arm is firing 11 times now when I turn it on or a game ends. I notice after I lock ball one, it doesn’t kick a ball into the trough. I imagine the 11 ball catch flicks are code for something?

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from MooButt:

I imagine it’s code for something?

Ball trough optos are the first suspect.

LTG : )

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from MooButt:

So I replaced 1-10 and 17-21, all fixed! Only issue I have now is it’s not kicking balls into the trough all the time now and sometimes feeding 2. The multiball arm is firing 11 times now when I turn it on or start a game. I imagine it’s code for something?

Ouch - 14 boards? That's almost halfway to a 2.0 system. If it was say 3 or 4 boards, I can see replacing, but 14? I would have just bit the bullet and got the 2.0 system so you're guaranteed your light problems are over. All you did by replacing all those boards from the old system is put off the inevitable and dumped a bunch of money in the toilet that you can't put towards the new system now.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Ouch - 14 boards? That's almost halfway to a 2.0 system. If it was say 3 or 4 boards, I can see replacing, but 14? I would have just bit the bullet and got the 2.0 system so you're guaranteed your light problems are over. All you did by replacing all those boards from the old system is put off the inevitable and dumped a bunch of money in the toilet that you can't put towards the new system now.

It was an hour of time and $275 for a complete set of boards and wires. Whole lot more time and money in the 2.0 conversion. But you’re right, it’s only a band-aid. I can’t see myself ever parting with this tank, so it’ll have to be done at some point.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from MooButt:

It was an hour of time and $275 for a complete set of boards and wires. Whole lot more time and money in the 2.0 conversion. But you’re right, it’s only a band-aid. I can’t see myself ever parting with this tank, so it’ll have to be done at some point.

You have to count your diagnostic time, too, and you'll never get that $275 back. Having been through this, just don't be surprised when the next board fails next month or three months from now, and then the next, and the next. Once they start going, it's a cascade effect, at least it was for the one I have. After a year and eventually replacing every board, thankfully the 2.0 kit became available. Zero problems after that.

2 years later
#19 1 year ago

In post #9, PinMonk showed a photo of the buffered boards with the daughterboards.

My large boards all have the daughterboard, so I think this means they're buffered.
My small ones don't seem to have the daughterboard...or at least they don't look like the picture in post#9, so...does that mean they're unbuffered?

JJP's website sells buffered boards but the picture looks just like mine (pic below from JJP's website).

Does it make sense that all my large boards would be buffered but the GI would not? Did JJP do this for a while?

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg
#20 1 year ago

sad, jjp doesn't supply parts we all need for these games, its ridiculous actually.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

sad, jjp doesn't supply parts we all need for these games, its ridiculous actually.

This really is a supply chain disruption issue. We depend a LOT on everything in China working smoothly.

I would highly recommend that EVERY Wizard of Oz owner place an order as soon as possible for the 2.0 light board upgrade. Get it in your hands and you'll be ready for when your 5v, or 7.5v system starts having problems and eventually fails.

My (2.0) lights are working perfectly. No weird flicker at all.

Get the kit now. You are going to need it someday.

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from PinRetail:

This really is a supply chain disruption issue. We depend a LOT on everything in China working smoothly.
I would highly recommend that EVERY Wizard of Oz owner place an order as soon as possible for the 2.0 light board upgrade. Get it in your hands and you'll be ready for when your 5v, or 7.5v system starts having problems and eventually fails.
My (2.0) lights are working perfectly. No weird flicker at all.
Get the kit now. You are going to need it someday.

hasn't been available for quite some time unfortunately. ive been waiting

4 months later
#23 9 months ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

hasn't been available for quite some time unfortunately. ive been waiting

2.0 Kit is supposedly in stock and ready to ship, according to the website:

http://store.jerseyjackpinball.com/Parts/Wizard-of-Oz-Parts/WOZ-Lighting-Upgrade-Kit.html

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.50
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 5.00
$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-75v-and-5v-led-boards and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.