(Topic ID: 186623)

WOZ 75th Anniversary: To purchase or Not to purchase?

By thewolks

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by thewolks
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Should I pull the trigger on the WOZ 75th or perhaps another title?”

• Wizard of OZ 75th anniversary 83 votes
    76%
  • Medieval Madness (original) 11 votes
    10%
  • Tales of the Arabian Nights 4 votes
    4%
  • White Water 8 votes
    7%
  • Theatre of Magic 3 votes
    3%

(109 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170507_004122 (resized).jpg
20170428_180111 (resized).jpg
IMG_1524 (resized).JPG
wizard75 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thewolks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Okay, I may have missed one of these, but I'm looking to add a game to the line up, but only have room for one more at this time? To give a bit of background I have wanted an WOZ since it was announced but have yet to purchase one?

I have had a Theatre of Magic, Addams Family, Black Rose and a Star Wars Episode 1 which I have sold. I since have purchased another Addams Family, Scared Stiff and a Flintstones, all have CC'd playfields, Pinball Pro Speaker upgrades, LED's (TAF & SS) have Color DMD's and are fully restored.

So now having said all that, my question: Should I pull the trigger on the WOZ 75th or perhaps another title? Pros and cons...

Other titles on my wish list: White Water, Medieval Madness (Original) Tales of the Arabian Nights, Wipe Out (I have my reasons) or another Theatre of magic...

I am also open to other suggestions?? again would like to hear other opinions and again pros and cons... and heads up no offense, but not really a Stern fan (sorry to those that are, just don't care for the feel), but I am open to be persuaded, obviously I haven't played them all?

I have added a poll as-well, but would love to hear from you on what you would do?

wizard75 (resized).pngwizard75 (resized).png

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

ABSOLUTELY YES!! We love ours, and its simply one of the deepest, challenging, fun and beautiful games ever. It's especially a yes if you can appreciate the theme of an American classic. Woz is the one that will never leave my collection. My RR has been rock solid with zero issues for over a year of ownership to. A few tweaks like any game, but solid after that.

Theme is an absolute yes for me, it is my all time favorite film.

I am just a bit on the fence right now if I should buy it at this point or wait and grab another title instead?

Thank you, is yours a 75th?

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from oohlou:

Have you played WOZ? Do you like the gameplay? You can come over and play mine sometime. You need to put on a bunch of plays before you decide.
WOZ is a polarizing pin. First because of the theme but sounds like that is no problem for you. Second for the gameplay. It is pretty unique. There is not a lot of flow but it isn't exactly stop and go either. I'd call the gameplay controlled chaos (how much control depends on how good you are). Not a lot of shots return to the flippers without going thru some hazard first. It has a complex and deep ruleset which I think most people like.
Personally I think WOZ is a great game and I highly recommend it.

Thank you, may take you up on the offer, I have probably only played 10 games total.

Yes, title I am totally sold on, just haven't played enough games to have a real feel for it yet, I have although watched a lot of play on the old U-tuber and sense the deal rule set.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

If you're a fan of the movie and the theme, absolutely positively get this pinball! It is amazing on all levels. I would still have mine, but I'm not a fan of the theme.
That said; I heard a rumor that jersey Jack plans to do new runs of Wizard of Oz with the upgraded new lighting boards. I would investigate that rumor before shelling out $9500.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to give him a call and check on that??

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Yep - builds after 12/15/16 have the same lighting system that the Hobbit has

What are the benefits to this lighting system over the original?

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from freakandgeek:

Age means nothing...White Water kicks WoZ ass any day of the week.
Are The Chainsmokers better than Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Van Halen, or The Who? No...they do not even belong in the same sentence.

Well as-far-as theme goes, WOZ would be my number 1, TAF has will probably still by my number 1 Pin, it's what started it all for my in the 90's when I couldn't find good games to play in a Putt Putt. I too agree that age is irrelevant, the 90's pins IMO are the best! I also agree that WH2O's flow is better, but I have a TAF and the Flintstones that both have great flow and my Scared stiff is fast (although not as fast as TOM) so looking for something that will add to the choices and be a title to stand the test of time.

#38 7 years ago

Thank you everyone that has commented and voted in the poll, keep them coming, I am enjoying the debate and positive remarks!

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

What, you haven't called automated yet and ordered a RR? Get on it today.

I know, I will try and call this coming week. Talk to a Jack again and then I'll go from there?

1 week later
#44 6 years ago

Okay so poll is in and it's 56 votes for WOZ 75th and 2nd Medieval Madness with 8 votes. Well this week has been crazy, I have an opportunity to purchase a fully restored MM locally from a great collector, so thinking about pulling the trigger on the MM first and then picking up the WOZ 75th later this year? thoughts..........?

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I am considering selling my WOZ Ruby Red if anyone is interested.

PM'd

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from Bobby:

Our new WOZ Ruby Red was delivered Friday from Larry @ FlipNout Pinball. Gorgeous game with a tremendous amount going on! I say go for it!

PM'd

1 week later
#62 6 years ago

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and input......as I was in this process to purchase the WOZ 75th Ruby, a collector friend of mine through me a curve ball, he texted me one night while at dinner "You interested in my MM?" um Yes Please! It was fully restored back in 2008, playfield done by Playfield Renovations, has Color DMD, LED's in trolls, painted castle, LED's in the dragon eyes and mouth, light behind the wizard, Scoop protectors and new ball trough. So having said all this I purchased it from him instead of buying the WOZ. The story doesn't end here, as this deal was going through I had messaged a fellow pinside her about a deal that he had made and I was just following up to ask him how it worked out for him and as we were talking back and forth about his new pickups he simply states "you have an SS right?" Yes I do! " you want to sell it?" Me No! Then the conversation turns to the fact that he has a WOZ 75th Ruby Edition and he offers it because he really wants another Scared Stiff...... so turns out I got them both an original Medieval Madness and a WOZ 75th Ruby. Win Win!

20170507_004122 (resized).jpg20170507_004122 (resized).jpg

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Great score. Congrats on two greats.

Thank you

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from Spg101:

Ok, so now your going to have to let US know what YOU think of the machines side by side!

So different, both great, but not getting much play time as my wife has been all over them both!

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

If I could only have 4 machines, it'd be WOZ, MM, LOTR and TZ. As TAF is a decent TZ replacement, you have a great collection to me!

Thank you

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thewolks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-75th-anniversary-to-purchase-or-not-to-purchase?tu=thewolks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.