(Topic ID: 186623)

WOZ 75th Anniversary: To purchase or Not to purchase?

By thewolks

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by thewolks
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Should I pull the trigger on the WOZ 75th or perhaps another title?”

• Wizard of OZ 75th anniversary 83 votes
    76%
  • Medieval Madness (original) 11 votes
    10%
  • Tales of the Arabian Nights 4 votes
    4%
  • White Water 8 votes
    7%
  • Theatre of Magic 3 votes
    3%

(109 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170507_004122 (resized).jpg
20170428_180111 (resized).jpg
IMG_1524 (resized).JPG
wizard75 (resized).png
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Okay, I may have missed one of these, but I'm looking to add a game to the line up, but only have room for one more at this time? To give a bit of background I have wanted an WOZ since it was announced but have yet to purchase one?

I have had a Theatre of Magic, Addams Family, Black Rose and a Star Wars Episode 1 which I have sold. I since have purchased another Addams Family, Scared Stiff and a Flintstones, all have CC'd playfields, Pinball Pro Speaker upgrades, LED's (TAF & SS) have Color DMD's and are fully restored.

So now having said all that, my question: Should I pull the trigger on the WOZ 75th or perhaps another title? Pros and cons...

Other titles on my wish list: White Water, Medieval Madness (Original) Tales of the Arabian Nights, Wipe Out (I have my reasons) or another Theatre of magic...

I am also open to other suggestions?? again would like to hear other opinions and again pros and cons... and heads up no offense, but not really a Stern fan (sorry to those that are, just don't care for the feel), but I am open to be persuaded, obviously I haven't played them all?

I have added a poll as-well, but would love to hear from you on what you would do?

wizard75 (resized).pngwizard75 (resized).png

#2 7 years ago

ABSOLUTELY YES!! We love ours, and its simply one of the deepest, challenging, fun and beautiful games ever. It's especially a yes if you can appreciate the theme of an American classic. Woz is the one that will never leave my collection. My RR has been rock solid with zero issues for over a year of ownership to. A few tweaks like any game, but solid after that.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

ABSOLUTELY YES!! We love ours, and its simply one of the deepest, challenging, fun and beautiful games ever. It's especially a yes if you can appreciate the theme of an American classic. Woz is the one that will never leave my collection. My RR has been rock solid with zero issues for over a year of ownership to. A few tweaks like any game, but solid after that.

Theme is an absolute yes for me, it is my all time favorite film.

I am just a bit on the fence right now if I should buy it at this point or wait and grab another title instead?

Thank you, is yours a 75th?

#4 7 years ago

You really want opinions? To be honest way back when it was announced I heard the title and thought that's crazy. So glad to be wrong. Super game, layout and shots are great, it is beautiful and it looks and feels like quality. Yeah I like the more solid feel of Gottlieb flippers so I know what you mean. Especially if you had already wanted for a while, I say yes!!

You just wasted 15 mins give Joe a call ASAP.

Happy Easter!

#5 7 years ago

Have you played WOZ? Do you like the gameplay? You can come over and play mine sometime. You need to put on a bunch of plays before you decide.

WOZ is a polarizing pin. First because of the theme but sounds like that is no problem for you. Second for the gameplay. It is pretty unique. There is not a lot of flow but it isn't exactly stop and go either. I'd call the gameplay controlled chaos (how much control depends on how good you are). Not a lot of shots return to the flippers without going thru some hazard first. It has a complex and deep ruleset which I think most people like.

Personally I think WOZ is a great game and I highly recommend it.

#6 7 years ago

Do it - When you play woz you don't really pay attention to the theme, but you become immersed in the game like no other. Im on my second woz - had a brand new RR delivered two days ago and the family can't stop playing it...... nothing compares imho.

IMG_1524 (resized).JPGIMG_1524 (resized).JPG

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from thewolks:

I am just a bit on the fence right now if I should buy it at this point or wait and grab another title instead?

If you're a fan of the movie and the theme, absolutely positively get this pinball! It is amazing on all levels. I would still have mine, but I'm not a fan of the theme.

That said; I heard a rumor that jersey Jack plans to do new runs of Wizard of Oz with the upgraded new lighting boards. I would investigate that rumor before shelling out $9500.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from oohlou:

Have you played WOZ? Do you like the gameplay? You can come over and play mine sometime. You need to put on a bunch of plays before you decide.
WOZ is a polarizing pin. First because of the theme but sounds like that is no problem for you. Second for the gameplay. It is pretty unique. There is not a lot of flow but it isn't exactly stop and go either. I'd call the gameplay controlled chaos (how much control depends on how good you are). Not a lot of shots return to the flippers without going thru some hazard first. It has a complex and deep ruleset which I think most people like.
Personally I think WOZ is a great game and I highly recommend it.

Thank you, may take you up on the offer, I have probably only played 10 games total.

Yes, title I am totally sold on, just haven't played enough games to have a real feel for it yet, I have although watched a lot of play on the old U-tuber and sense the deal rule set.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

If you're a fan of the movie and the theme, absolutely positively get this pinball! It is amazing on all levels. I would still have mine, but I'm not a fan of the theme.
That said; I heard a rumor that jersey Jack plans to do new runs of Wizard of Oz with the upgraded new lighting boards. I would investigate that rumor before shelling out $9500.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to give him a call and check on that??

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Yep - builds after 12/15/16 have the same lighting system that the Hobbit has

#11 7 years ago

Family friends and I love this game. Standard edition. It's unique feel and play in my line up is refreshing. Can't see it ever Leaving. Controlled chaos description above on gameplay spot on.

#12 7 years ago

It is a family and neighbor favorite here. Just a great game overall!!!

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Yep - builds after 12/15/16 have the same lighting system that the Hobbit has

What are the benefits to this lighting system over the original?

#14 7 years ago

Get the WOZ. The other pins you are considering are really no comparison as they are all 20+ years older. As for the new light boards I don't know how much difference it will make since I have had way more problems with my Hobbit light boards (all have now been replaced, one twice, and all the cables swapped out) than I have had with WOZ.

#15 7 years ago

I have owned three of these titles. Wizard of Oz still stands out as an incredible achievement and the one machine I think about re-purchasing. Many people are unable to get past the theme or some of the ill-will that the company has caused in the past. But if you are unaffected by those factors, there's no denying that the machine remains unsurpassed in many respects. (We'll see about Dialed In.)

The shear number of toys and flippers. The number of shots. The excellent integration of theme and play. The unusual features not seen on any other machine. The unreachable depth of the rules. It is a lot of machine.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from thewolks:

What are the benefits to this lighting system over the original?

Much more reliable. I was hoping the new system would have brighter GI, too, but I asked in person at TPF and they said they are indistinguishable from a player's perspective.

#17 7 years ago

I had a bad taste in my mouth on wizard. I also don't like the theme. But.

It is JJPs flagship title. In my opinion they will never make a better game. They seem to constantly polish it. All the owners I know who have one love it. It's a crowd pleaser too.

Enjoy.

#18 7 years ago

It's my first pin, and one of my favorites. And I had tons of problems with the light boards for the first two years. So glad I stuck with it - it works perfectly now (except for the monkey not wanting to drop the ball!), and it's a favorite with everybody who plays it.

#19 7 years ago

I've had the RR over 2 years its such a great pin.

Played a bunch this morning I would definitely get again.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from thewolks:

Mine is the RR 75th. I personally like it the best, but the green ecle is equally as beautiful. If you love the movie that much, this seems like a no brainer. It really is one of the most impressive games ever. Also, I love the movie and theme also, and the table really does great referencing every aspect of the movie. Mine is over a year old and again, zero issues. Feels way more solid than any stern ever. Not bashing stern, it just feels like a 9k machine's supposed to.

#21 7 years ago

$9k? No way.

Pick up an older WozECLE. The light boards are a non issue with the 7.5 boards.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

$9k? No way.
Pick up an older WozECLE. The light boards are a non issue with the 7.5 boards.

Didn't you recently pay $9k or more for a Batman 66 LE? A WOZ RR 75th with invisiglass, a shaker motor, 4 flippers, 2 mini playfields, 5 magnets, multiple toys and one of the deepest rulesets ever created sounds pretty darn good when looking at games around the same price!

#23 7 years ago

I had a first run standard WOZ and it quickly became my favorite game EVER. I decided to give my standard to my parents (they both love the theme and the pin) and bought a brand new RR75 direct from JJP. I have zero regrets. It is the flagship of my collection and will never leave. I personally don't feel that a better pin has ever been produced. If you already love the theme (as I do), you will not regret it. It has beauty, awesome deep and challenging game play, great call outs and is unlike anything produced before or since.

#24 7 years ago

Go White Water as it is a much better game.

WoZ has lots of bling and is loaded with lots of stuff...but they left out the pinball fun. Gameplay in supreme in my book and WoZ is pretty poor in that area.

WoZ has deep software, but ball speed, layout and shots are below average. White Water has some of the best flow of any game made along with a great ruleset.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

Get the WOZ. The other pins you are considering are really no comparison as they are all 20+ years older. As for the new light boards I don't know how much difference it will make since I have had way more problems with my Hobbit light boards (all have now been replaced, one twice, and all the cables swapped out) than I have had with WOZ.

Age means nothing...White Water kicks WoZ ass any day of the week.

Are The Chainsmokers better than Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Van Halen, or The Who? No...they do not even belong in the same sentence.

#26 7 years ago

WOZ. When Jersey Jack decided to make this theme I didn't think it was going to appeal to myself or a lot of other people. I played it, I realized that it was going to be one of the greatest pinball machines ever made and I had to get one.

#27 7 years ago

WOZ is one of my families all time favorite movies. The pin is even better. Wish I could afford one. They will soon stop manufacturing these games so might be your last chance to pick up a NIB one. I've played all the games on your list and say it would be WOZ for first choice and MM for second. If you didn't like the theme I would say MM first then WOZ second.

#28 7 years ago

Play it first
I have only played it once, did not like the constantly changing colored LEDs
so I did not like it

your mileage may vary

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from freakandgeek:

WoZ has lots of bling and is loaded with lots of stuff...but they left out the pinball fun. Gameplay in supreme in my book and WoZ is pretty poor in that area.
WoZ has deep software, but ball speed, layout and shots are below average. White Water has some of the best flow of any game made along with a great ruleset.

My first thoughts on speed were the same when I played on location. Got sold on rules and light show so I bought a RR, set it up to about 6.9 degrees and it plays pretty fast and is tough to control. I frequently feel this game is floaty on location which really does it a disservice. Now that it is in my collection I cannot see it leaving. Amazing pin and my others look and feel old next to it, even though most are newer.

#30 7 years ago

Are The Chainsmokers better than Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Van Halen, or The Who? No...they do not even belong in the same sentence.

Well as-far-as theme goes, WOZ would be my number 1, TAF has will probably still by my number 1 Pin, it's what started it all for my in the 90's when I couldn't find good games to play in a Putt Putt. I too agree that age is irrelevant, the 90's pins IMO are the best! I also agree that WH2O's flow is better, but I have a TAF and the Flintstones that both have great flow and my Scared stiff is fast (although not as fast as TOM) so looking for something that will add to the choices and be a title to stand the test of time.

#31 7 years ago

You should get all those other pins before you get WOZ because once you get WOZ all those other games will seem lackluster.

#32 7 years ago

Masterpiece

#33 7 years ago

#34 7 years ago

Pins depend a lot on technology while bands do not. I agree that white water is a great game one of my favorites in fact, but since it comes out there have been a lot of innovations in pinball - color changing inserts, clear coated playfields, LEDs, LCD displays, deeper rules, invisglass, higher quality audio, etc. some of these can be added to White Water. But, I believe WOZ is one of the best games currently in production. That said it isn't for everyone and I have no problem with people who prefer older games, but I also think the technological innovation makes it difficult to compare games of different generations.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

You should get all those other pins before you get WOZ because once you get WOZ all those other games will seem lackluster.

This is true. Once you own a jjp game at all, the bar is set so high that I still haven't seen anything else compare. Stern has been getting closer it seems with AS, but still jjp is in a league of its own.

#36 7 years ago

Like I said above, love mine and op can't go wrong buying this title especially if he also likes the theme. On another note op would benefit having atleast 1 fast and furious stern title in his lineup also

#37 7 years ago

Having both white water and woz seems a winning combo. Both pretty damn amazing.

#38 7 years ago

Thank you everyone that has commented and voted in the poll, keep them coming, I am enjoying the debate and positive remarks!

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from thewolks:

Thank you everyone that has commented and voted in the poll, keep them coming, I am enjoying the debate and positive remarks!

What, you haven't called automated yet and ordered a RR? Get on it today.

#40 7 years ago

RR WoZ is my first NIB pin purchase. I also bought an AC/DC for contrast. I keep going back to the game and trying to hit the different modes. Definitely love this game. I have played a lot of pins but this one really sucked me in with the light show, LCD and depth of play. I don't think there is anyway to be disappointed, err except for the price. I said I would NEVER spend that much on a pin! We'll still happy with the purchase.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

What, you haven't called automated yet and ordered a RR? Get on it today.

I know, I will try and call this coming week. Talk to a Jack again and then I'll go from there?

#42 7 years ago

Sold my WOZECLE, sure was pretty but I never felt compelled to play it once we got past the honeymoon stage. Too many irritating things about it and some things malfunctioned too often.

#43 7 years ago

Yes, I love the colors and the cabinet on the WOCECLE and really wanted that one. I however heard of the number of issues they had so settled with the not so nice "don't get me wrong the WOZECLE has an incredible direct print on it and by far the best" the RR is a second though. Made after 12/15/16 they have the 2.0 system. Only problems I have had are a broken spring and needed the Cliffy sooner.

1 week later
#44 6 years ago

Okay so poll is in and it's 56 votes for WOZ 75th and 2nd Medieval Madness with 8 votes. Well this week has been crazy, I have an opportunity to purchase a fully restored MM locally from a great collector, so thinking about pulling the trigger on the MM first and then picking up the WOZ 75th later this year? thoughts..........?

#45 6 years ago

Thoughts is I own both.

20170428_180111 (resized).jpg20170428_180111 (resized).jpg

#46 6 years ago

woz blows mm out of the water.

#47 6 years ago

Our new WOZ Ruby Red was delivered Friday from Larry @ FlipNout Pinball. Gorgeous game with a tremendous amount going on! I say go for it!

#48 6 years ago

Since there are so many threads about MM vs. AFM, and MM clearly got trounced by WOZ in this thread, I wonder how AFM (or AFMr) would stack up against WOZ.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

(except for the monkey not wanting to drop the ball

This was 100% fixed for me by placing a piece of black electrical tape on the magnet.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Since there are so many threads about MM vs. AFM, and MM clearly got trounced by WOZ in this thread, I wonder how AFM (or AFMr) would stack up against WOZ.

change your balls out as they are probably magnetized

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Machine - For Sale
Indian Land, SC
$ 9.95
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 119.99
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 16.95
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.95
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 64.99
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.50
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-75th-anniversary-to-purchase-or-not-to-purchase?hl=spg101 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.