• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Whitey1 (resized).jpeg
whitey2 (resized).jpeg
woz-boards (resized).jpg
There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Hi

Was curious as to when jjp started to use buffered boards in WOZ? Thanks.

#2 6 years ago

Give or take May 2014 or so. Hard to say exactly.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Give or take May 2014 or so. Hard to say exactly.

Think it would be safe to say that a 2-5-15 build would have them?

#5 6 years ago

Cool...thank you

#6 6 years ago

If there were less troublemakers on this site then JJP themselves would probably be active here and answer your question accurately.

Alas - it seems the site owner doesn't care...

#7 6 years ago

From memory I believe we started seeing the buffer boards around July/August 2014.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

Hi

It's very easy to know if it has them just by looking because of the add-on daughterboard. And they have both 5v and 7.5v buffered versions. I *think* they went 5v unbuffered, 7.5v unbuffered, 7.5v buffered, 5v buffered order as they worked on the lighting issues when they originally showed up.

woz-boards (resized).jpgwoz-boards (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

If there were less troublemakers on this site then JJP themselves would probably be active here and answer your question accurately.

Don't make their same mistake

#10 6 years ago

Ok, I was a little off with my recollection of the date. It was April 2014 (see post #167). The info was from the JJP Google WOZ group at the time.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-led-issue-info/page/4

#11 6 years ago

My October 2014 had the 7.5V buffered boards...havent had any problems

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

I don't think it's so much an issue of indifference as coming up with a policy that works without quashing legitimate conversation that may include grousing or complaints about real issues.

It's certainly more civil overall here than rec.games.pinball became.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I don't think it's so much an issue of indifference as coming up with a policy that works without quashing legitimate conversation that may include grousing or complaints about real issues.
It's certainly more civil overall here than rec.games.pinball became.

Maybe it is but on AA there simply is no tolerance for troublemakers and they are weeded out quick smart and banished. Some of them have found refuge here because (for some reason) their behavior is not only tolerated but it seems accepted here??

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Maybe it is but on AA there simply is no tolerance for troublemakers and they are weeded out quick smart and banished. Some of them have found refuge here because (for some reason) their behavior is not only tolerated but it seems accepted here??

Without specific examples, I can't know. I know there are some strong personalities here at times (myself included), but I think the mods generally do a decent job keeping things in order. Maybe the levels are a cultural thing?

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

You've said quite a mouthful at times and got away with it without being muzzled...not sure why you'd think anyone else should be any different. Same goes for me. I think it's just expected here that if you have that much of an issue with someone , that you put them on ignore, whereas other forums don't necessarily HAVE that option to self-moderate.

Jack isn't here because he can't control it. Plain and simple. And frankly, all he did when he WAS here was propagandize his own games and mock Stern, so no love lost there. I've grown to like WoZ, and in spite of the TERRIBLE theme, Dialed In is a fun game...but Jack is a non-starter every time he opens his mouth, and frankly, he needs a 'Jared' or a 'Zach' to be his mouthpiece, because he's godawful at doing it.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Without specific examples, I can't know. I know there are some strong personalities here at times (myself included), but I think the mods generally do a decent job keeping things in order. Maybe the levels are a cultural thing?

From an Australian's perspective, but generally speaking the active suppression of valid viewpoints for the pecuniary benefit of an individual isn't an acceptable cultural belief for us since Australian values are largely based around the principles of egalitarianism and the right to fair comment.

Most decent intelligent Aussies would agree with that statement in principle.

Quoted from Frax:

Jack isn't here because he can't control it. Plain and simple.

Hit the nail on the head. It is all about control.

Much like the big fish that dominates in a small pond who decides to establish a presence in a much larger ocean with only a handful of remora rather than an entire isolated ecosystem to protect them and gradually comes to the realisation they no longer have the same level of piscatorial clout.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

Hi

Does any one know how these 7.5 boards relate to the 2.0 Woz thread I read about . WOZ scares me I have wanted one for years but the Light Board issues keep me away . Three collectors in my city had WOZECLE and all had light boards and GI go out multiple times .

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

Does any one know how these 7.5 boards relate to the 2.0 Woz thread I read about . WOZ scares me I have wanted one for years but the Light Board issues keep me away . Three collectors in my city had WOZECLE and all had light boards and GI go out multiple times .

GI and light boards are the same thing. WoZ uses boards (big and small) for the inserts and the GI. It's really not that big a deal if you're looking at a WoZ with buffered boards already. Those do fail, but at a MUCH reduced rate from the unbuffered boards. BUT, if you're looking at a used early-run machine with the original unbuffered boards, take off $750 for eventual replacement of all the light boards. They will all eventually die if you leave it on enough, and once that process starts, it seems to accelerate until they're all replaced (at least in my experience with it). Tech support said fixing it can be like nailing jello to the wall, and I agree.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

Three collectors in my city had WOZECLE and all had light boards and GI go out multiple times .

Most likely they were the older 5v boards or the 7.5v board before the buffer was released. Since the buffers far and few problems have happened with the boards. I wouldn't let that scare me off from an awesome pin, especially in a HUO environment.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

piscatorial clout.

...did.....did that really just get said? And do trout have the most piscatorial clout?

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

...did.....did that really just get said? And do trout have the most piscatorial clout?

It really seems to depend on how many parrotfish the trout can surround themselves with.

Or at least that seems to be how the oddball taxonomy operates down here in southern waters.

Thankfully there appears to be much more biodiversity north of the equator.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's very easy to know if it has them just by looking because of the add-on daughterboard. And they have both 5v and 7.5v buffered versions. I *think* they went 5v unbuffered, 7.5v unbuffered, 7.5v buffered, 5v buffered order as they worked on the lighting issues when they originally showed up.

You can't use the daughter board as a guide to know for sure if the boards are buffered or not.

There are versions of the buffered board with no daughter board. The circuitry is integrated into the board.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

You can't use the daughter board as a guide to know for sure if the boards are buffered or not.
There are versions of the buffered board with no daughter board. The circuitry is integrated into the board.
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

When did they start making those? I've never seen one with the circuitry integrated.

#24 6 years ago

I got my first one at least a year ago now I think.

You got to figure with as many as they were going through it had to happen. So much less expensive to do than to retrofit everything.

Though with the WoOz 2.0 light boards, kind of pointless now.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

I got my first one at least a year ago now I think.
You got to figure with as many as they were going through it had to happen. So much less expensive to do than to retrofit everything.
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

I really wonder how much a 2.0 light kit will cost. I heard over $1000, but given how unreliable the older boards are, it would almost be worth the hassle and cost.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I really wonder how much a 2.0 light kit will cost. I heard over $1000, but given how unreliable the older boards are, it would almost be worth the hassle and cost.

I heard $1800. It's not just light boards. It's power supplies, new wiring, light boards, etc. i was told approximately an 8 hour job to remove the old stuff and put the new stuff in.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Except for those of us who have a game that doesn't use the 2.0 system and needs a replacement board. The 2.0 boards aren't compatible with the old system.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Except for those of us who have a game that doesn't use the 2.0 system and needs a replacement board. The 2.0 boards aren't compatible with the old system.

Well, I meant pointless from a production standpoint.

I know I'm not changing everything over to 2.0 on the games I'm responsible for, with the cost and work it will take.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I heard $1800. It's not just light boards. It's power supplies, new wiring, light boards, etc. i was told approximately an 8 hour job to remove the old stuff and put the new stuff in.

You would also have to drill the playfield to expand GI holes for the larger led tubes in the 2.0 playfields

1 week later
#30 6 years ago

I am confused what the "2.0" system is....Is that the 7.5 boards that say rev 1.1? I'm looking at a used WOZ with a 8/19/2015 build date and trying to figure this lighting issue out. Any advice? Thx

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I am confused what the "2.0" system is....Is that the 7.5 boards that say rev 1.1? I'm looking at a used WOZ with a 8/19/2015 build date and trying to figure this lighting issue out. Any advice? Thx

No. WoOz 2.0 light boards are completely different. Same system as used in The Hobbit and DI.

A 2015 build date should have buffered boards I would think.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#32 6 years ago

oh, are the 2.0 lights available, or is that the "kit" thats not available yet? The lighting issues sure is giving me pause on getting this machine :-/

#33 6 years ago

WoOz 2.0 lights would require rewiring and replacement of all of the existing lighting system. Not an easy or quick job by any measure.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

or is that the "kit" thats not available yet?

Not available yet.

LTG : )

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

oh, are the 2.0 lights available, or is that the "kit" thats not available yet? The lighting issues sure is giving me pause on getting this machine :-/

I know different people have had different experiences. Mine are the "buffered" boards and I recently had to replace two of them. JJP sent me new ones and as long as send the old ones back I only have to pay shipping and my game is over two years old. That's pretty stellar service in my book.

#36 6 years ago

Yep those guys are always right there to provide excellent warranty replacement items for the issues. They go above and beyond to help us out. That should be reason enough to make a purchase!

1 year later
#37 5 years ago

How does one visually distinguish between the buffered vs unbuffered 7.5 volt boards? The first round of 7.5v buffered boards had those little daughter boards on them but what about later games before the 2.0 boards? I've read that those had the buffering circuitry integrated. I'm looking at a standard edition with a build date of 11/2013 with 7.5v boards. If these are the unbuffered boards, should I wait to find a game with buffered boards? I really don't want to spend north of 7k and feel insecure about its durability or resale value.

Whitey1 (resized).jpegWhitey1 (resized).jpegwhitey2 (resized).jpegwhitey2 (resized).jpeg
#38 5 years ago

Bump for question posted above...

#39 5 years ago

Many owners have 7.5 unbuffered boards in their games, including my own, and have never had an issue.

#40 5 years ago

Any version prior to the 2.0 will eventually be obsolete, regardless of the failure rate. If the main boards do not have the integrated Ethernet jack, they will not be readily replaceable in the future, once supplies of the old boards are exhausted. the new boards all have integrated Ethernet jacks.

But with that said, just as stated above, many folks have never had a failure.....but others have had multiple failures in short time spans. Just hit and miss. I did the 2.0 upgrade on my 7.5 V ruby Red a few weeks ago and it is not technically difficult, but it is very time consuming.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Any version prior to the 2.0 will eventually be obsolete, regardless of the failure rate. If the main boards do not have the integrated Ethernet jack, they will not be readily replaceable in the future, once supplies of the old boards are exhausted. the new boards all have integrated Ethernet jacks.
But with that said, just as stated above, many folks have never had a failure.....but others have had multiple failures in short time spans. Just hit and miss. I did the 2.0 upgrade on my 7.5 V ruby Red a few weeks ago and it is not technically difficult, but it is very time consuming.

I thought I read that upgrading to 2.0 requires additional wiring and enlarging playfield holes?

#42 5 years ago

Plenty of re-wiring, but just involves swapping cables (not soldering and crimping etc...).

All the smaller light boards need tiny pilot holes for the screws to bite into... They are smaller than the originals so won’t work with the old holes. But we’re not talking drilling through the PF or anything like that

#43 5 years ago

Does anyone have a 2.0 upgrade cost estimate for a waaay out of warranty second owner?

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

enlarging playfield holes?

No enlarging any holes.

Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Does anyone have a 2.0 upgrade cost estimate for a waaay out of warranty second owner?

Same same.

#45 5 years ago

Crazy idea that I am sure JJP might not entertain but I wonder if the would consider a Group bulk buy discount on these 2.0 kits for us down users. Say we place an order for 20 kits? 30 kits? The value is making a single large run vs 30 individual parts kit runs. Would be great and I am Certain in my area alone I could gather 4-5 kit orders. If some awesome guy like #LTG ran the group buy how could they say no! Lol

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No enlarging any holes.

Same same.

So I feel I can deal with the work aspect of installation. What is the approximate out of pocket cost of 2.0?

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

If some awesome guy like #LTG ran the group buy how could they say no! Lol

Actually pretty easy. I'm at the bottom of the food chain. You'd need more awesome than me.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Crazy idea that I am sure JJP might not entertain but I wonder if the would consider a Group bulk buy discount on these 2.0 kits for us down users. Say we place an order for 20 kits?

Great idea, but at $800 a pop (pricey as that is) I don’t think they are profiting and may even be taking a slight loss considering all that is in the kit. There have been rumors price may go up over time, but regardless, I feel like this is a good will gesture on JJP’s part and am happy they offer it.

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Plenty of re-wiring, but just involves swapping cables (not soldering and crimping etc...).
All the smaller light boards need tiny pilot holes for the screws to bite into... They are smaller than the originals so won’t work with the old holes. But we’re not talking drilling through the PF or anything like that

Interesting ! Can you tell me what's a pilot hole, my only fear with getting the 2.0 upgrade was to drill the playfield.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

Can you tell me what's a pilot hole

A tiny hole not too deep into the playfield to start screwing a screw into.

Small boards instructions say 2 each, one each is plenty.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 91.00
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 24.50
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-75-buffer-boards and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.