By FalconPunch

2 years ago

Stats

• 378 posts
  • 108 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by ramsfan
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Capture_(resized).JPG
1456445291092-1358165630_(resized).jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
IMG_6469_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
Screen_Shot_2016-01-11_at_10.43.14_AM_(resized).png

There are 378 posts in topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
#1 2 years ago

In testing....so not out yet but here are the changes.

---

==============================================================================
== Version 6.00 ==
==============================================================================

=== Game Code

* LEDs on coil drivers now off in diag so they can be tested with coil test.
* Capture Dorothy lamp now functions as follows:
- Solid yellow = ball locked
- Blinking yellow = lock lit
- Blinking yellow/red = ball is already locked and will be released
* Haunted sign LED now lights correctly when a Haunted mode is running.
* Fixed ECMB lamps not coming back after a restart (resurrection).
* TNPLH, BALL, and RESCUE lamp blinking changed to give better indication of
target state.
* Fix warning/tilt not showing up during TNPLH collect.
+ Crystal Ball backhand exploit penalty.
* Improved timer paused logic for most timers.
+ 5-second ballsaver for end of Flipper Frenzy.
+ Minimum Diamonds for Attract Mode adjustment: Can be set from 0-8 (default
is 4 which was the previous un-adjustable behavior). Sets how many
diamonds a player has to earn in order to see the diamond progress screen
after a game is over. (Does not survive game reboots for now.)
* TNPLH checks for paused timers now.
+ Attract mode jukebox. When Attract Mode Music is set to a JUKEBOX option,
music will play continuously in attract mode 5 seconds after attract mode
starts or 5 seconds after Game Over music fadeout ends.
* Attract Mode Music adjustment has been changed. It now supports the
following options:
- NONE - Game plays no music in sttract mode.
- SOME JJP LOGO - Plays JJP logo music every so often (behavior of this
adjustment when it was set to ON previously).
- ALL JJP LOGO - Always plays music when the JJP logo is displayed.
- JUKEBOX SHUFFLE - Continuously plays music in sttract mode in a random
order.
- JUKEBOX ORDERED - Continuously plays music in an order that approximately
matches playing a game (but without repeats).
* HSTD enter initials screens now show the score of the item you beat.
* Added target hit/already hit indicators to RAINBOW lights.
* Tilt screen now shows bonus lost.
* Status report now shows Munchkin Modes properly when Munchkin Multiball is
ready.
* Witch skill shot now insta-kills the witch hurryup (and enforces a minimum
value of 750). If the witch was already hit once, then the value gets
restored to full before winning.
* Preset tables updated for new adjustments; home preset redone.
* Witch Hurryup no longer starts from a skill shot during Fireball Frenzy.
* Hurry-build running inlane lightshow improved.
* Hurry-build initialization, when all shots are consumed, will now advance
to the next light instead of always starting on Rainbow.
+ Wizard can now award "Add Rescue Lock" and "Add Tilt Warning".
+ Added "Allow tilt warning award" adjustment (Wizard Mystery category). Can
be "ON" or "OFF," the default is "ON." Tilt warnings can only be awarded
when the current number is less than the configured maximum.
+ Glinda lit and Glinda award lamp effects.
* Welcome to Munchkinland display now has added graphics.

=== Core Code

+ Reverse Order LED test.
+ All LED + Flasher test.

=== OS

* Base version is now Ubuntu 15.10, should fix LED and display issues.

#2 2 years ago

I said it before when 5.0 was release but I'll say it again, WOZ is the best code supported pinball machine of all time. Thank you JJP

#3 2 years ago

Yes! Awesome and thanks JJP and all of those involved in updating once again WOZ's awesome software and code. So looking forward to this coming out!

#4 2 years ago

Sweet.

#5 2 years ago

"+ Crystal Ball backhand exploit penalty." This one caught my eye, very curious to hear details on this.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

"+ Crystal Ball backhand exploit penalty." This one caught my eye, very curious to hear details on this.

Hmmm...????

#7 2 years ago

I especially like the "Tilt screen now shows bonus lost." code addition. I envision the Witch saying "Ha Ha!" impersonating Nelson from Simpson's. Also WoZ be the first game to let a player know how many points lost from a tilt, AWESOME!!

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

The exploit is said to be cradling two balls on the left and flipping one up the crystal ball shot. It rolls down the inlane and back on the flipper. Rinse and repeat.

Here is the cool part....The penalty is said to be no hold flippers for the rest of the ball. Now that's an awesome idea right there!

#9 2 years ago

Video of the "exploit":

» YouTube video
(at 26:30)

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from WakiMiko:

Video of the "exploit":
» YouTube video

wow.....I think my highest is 400k, great gameplay. when will this update be available?

#11 2 years ago

So pumped. I have a RR coming home in just a few hours.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

The exploit is said to be cradling two balls on the left and flipping one up the crystal ball shot. It rolls down the inlane and back on the flipper. Rinse and repeat.
Here is the cool part....The penalty is said to be no hold flippers for the rest of the ball. Now that's an awesome idea right there!

Modern pinball code is amazing. This would never affect me but I love that this exists.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

So pumped. I have a RR coming home in just a few hours.

I would probably take a personal day if I had a WOZ coming home today!

#14 2 years ago

Love it!

I didn't see any mention of adding an adjustment to turn off the Twitter screen and QR code after a game over. Was hoping for that.

I hope it also fixes the issue 5.05 had with the apron screen mod.

Great job JJP!

#15 2 years ago

Quoted from WakiMiko:

Video of the "exploit":
» YouTube video (at 26:30)

So, does this only apply while battling the witch? If I lose the ability to backhand the crystal ball to collect a CB award, I'll be screwed. I can't hit it from the right to save my life.

#16 2 years ago

Just note guys it's going to be a few before it's released. Keith put the teaser notes out there but it's not coming this week :). We want to make sure it's as perfect as can be before we release it.

It will be a full. Not a delta.

#17 2 years ago

Can't imagine they'd eliminate the backhand possibility, perhaps just time it so that several successive makes to the CB while noting the upheld left flipper. At least that's how I'd incorporate it.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Just note guys it's going to be a few before it's released. Keith put the teaser notes out there but it's not coming this week :). We want to make sure it's as perfect as can be before we release it.
It will be a full. Not a delta.

Awesome news, at least we know it's coming soon.

#19 2 years ago

I posted on the JJP forum but the CB exploit penalty seems really slippery. If I have two balls trapped on the left I can't shoot for the CB from a backhand now?

If I'm in RESCUEMB I'll often get the 3x jackpot by doing this "exploit." Will that then put me into a No hold flippers? How is that different than just shooting the right ramp over and over to collect 3x Jackpots and then just Jackpot it over and over.

I just don't see how the code determines a player's intent to exploit.

#20 2 years ago

Saweeeet!

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from herg:

So, does this only apply while battling the witch? If I lose the ability to backhand the crystal ball to collect a CB award, I'll be screwed. I can't hit it from the right to save my life.

if this is the case that would make sense.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from WakiMiko:

Video of the "exploit":
» YouTube video (at 26:30)

My jaw dropped at that. Every time I have been to "Melt the Witch" it is an insane and crazy time. He just calmly hit the shots and rolled on to melt her. Nuts.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

If I'm in RESCUEMB I'll often get the 3x jackpot by doing this "exploit." Will that then put me into a No hold flippers? How is that different than just shooting the right ramp over and over to collect 3x Jackpots and then just Jackpot it over and over.

Shooting the ramp takes some skill. Backhanding the crystal ball over and over from the two ball cradle takes no skill.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from Troz:

Shooting the ramp takes some skill. Backhanding the crystal ball over and over from the two ball cradle takes no skill.

but getting to a two ball cradle takes some skill as well. Seems like you could just force the player to shoot something else before the CB was available to be shot again. This would be similar to the YBR change early on where you could just nail the right ramp over and over and over. The change forced players to cycle between orbits and ramp shots and made it much less repetitive.

#25 2 years ago

Awesome, great news.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

but getting to a two ball cradle takes some skill as well. Seems like you could just force the player to shoot something else before the CB was available to be shot again. This would be similar to the YBR change early on where you could just nail the right ramp over and over and over. The change forced players to cycle between orbits and ramp shots and made it much less repetitive.

And that's exactly what has been done, forcing you to shoot something else otherwise you'll be punished by the witch. It's all speculation until we see the actual implementation in game. Is it 2 shots in a row? 3 shots? etc...

Part of me wondered how long it would take until some tournament player decided to loop the crystal ball over and over during a match. This stops it dead, makes me very happy even if it kills the easy path to 3x jackpot/melt the witch.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

I especially like the "Tilt screen now shows bonus lost." code addition. I envision the Witch saying "Ha Ha!" impersonating Nelson from Simpson's. Also WoZ be the first game to let a player know how many points lost from a tilt, AWESOME!!

Keith already had it in mind, but I formally requested this a couple months ago after tilting what was probably close to a million in bonus. Can't wait for the first tournament where someone tilts their ball 3 and sees they had enough bonus to catch their opponent anyway...

Next formal request is the ability to pause (or just leave up longer) the math screens calculating bonus. I had another mega ball that I did NOT tilt... at end, I saw "End of ball bonus" screen, then two quick screens filled with calculations, followed by a 740K total screen. With all the ways one can earn, add and multiply bonus, let me see those calculations a bit longer so I know WTH I got the points.

Beautiful release, BTW. Crazy amount of support JJP is giving this game.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from Troz:

And that's exactly what has been done, forcing you to shoot something else otherwise you'll be punished by the witch. It's all speculation until we see the actual implementation in game. Is it 2 shots in a row? 3 shots? etc...
Part of me wondered how long it would take until some tournament player decided to loop the crystal ball over and over during a match. This stops it dead, makes me very happy even if it kills the easy path to 3x jackpot/melt the witch.

i just think the punishment of playing no hold flippers, if the game reads normal(random) gameplay as an exploit, to be pretty severe. Forcing the player to make a second shot before a second CB shot could be awarded seems like a simple way to kill the exploit. In Rescue MB I think the technique is fair to get to 3x Jackpot but maybe after that force a second shot so a player just doesn't exploit the CB shot for jackpots. In MTW it seems as though the exploit could be killed by not allowing a player to collect consecutive CB shots.

I understand the need to kill the exploit, I'm just not in agreement that creating a penalty like NHF isn't going to lead to more problems than it is trying to solve.

#29 2 years ago

Never mind.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

i just think the punishment of playing no hold flippers, if the game reads normal(random) gameplay as an exploit, to be pretty severe.

I very much doubt the JJP team would make a such a grievous error as throwing normal gameplay into no hold. Have you no trust in Keith and Ted?

Not much to the process really in my mind... Crystal ball was shot. Ok, have any other switches been activated? No. Left flipper being held up? Yup. The crystal ball was shot again. Uh-oh, warning flag. Any other switches yet? Nope. Flipper still held up? Yup. Crystal ball hit again? Exploit confirmed, punish! Simply not going to happen during normal play.

#31 2 years ago

Oh awesome, just need to get my WOZ booting again and my family will be happy once again.

#32 2 years ago

The Crystal Ball punishment is interesting. I don't know of any other games that punish for a style of playing - apart from tilt.

Is it aimed at tournaments? Don't hear of too many WOZ's being played in bigger tournaments.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

The Crystal Ball punishment is interesting. I don't know of any other games that punish for a style of playing - apart from tilt.
Is it aimed at tournaments? Don't hear of too many WOZ's being played in bigger tournaments.

WOZ was in PAPA and Pinburgh this past year.

#34 2 years ago

I'm in awe with some players ability to find these exploits, and then execute these exploits. I'm also in awe with JJP that constantly puts out code updates over and over again, years after the first game production. Every time I think that this will be the last update, 3 months later another one comes. Yes, I had problems with my pin, as others did, but the support was fantastic, and the game play just seems to get better and better with code updates. I love it. By the the way, if the code comes in two weeks, it may be an early Christmas present? Just saying.. Thanks to everyone at JJP for making this happen. Count me, one happy satisfied customer.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

By the the way, if the code comes in two weeks, it may be an early Christmas present? Just saying..

We will do our best. No promises though

#36 2 years ago

Thanks Pinchroma.
By the way, since I'm in the "asking Santa" mode, how is the manual for The Hobbit doing?
Why do I ask? Well, there are a lot of pinheads that have ordered the Hobbit and won't be able to unwrap and play one this Christmas. It would be really cool to look at an electronic copy of the manual (even in draft form) while sitting on the couch after Christmas dinner. It's not the same, but it may make the delay a little more palatable...again, just saying...

#37 2 years ago

You could possibly send it out as a "reveal" on Christmas Eve day? Ok, I know when to quit. I'll stop asking for stuff.

#38 2 years ago

Whats the jukebox ?

Copying mp3 in a folder playing them randomly in attract mode ?!

Question over question !!

#39 2 years ago

It's fantastic the way WOZ uses non "traditional" features as reward/punishment. The cookie cutter approach of "shoot this, get these points, trigger this mode" has been proven to work, but with WOZ they're thinking outside the box.

Double flippers kills pops to help get the ball into the Haunted Hole
All the Crystal ball modes - no hold flippers, all lights on, all lights off.
Crystal ball punishment no hold punishment.

There really should be more of this in pinball.

How about a reward that disables tilt for 30seconds.
Or a punishment/reward that disables slings. Or one that increases the slings power for 30s. Etc Etc.

#40 2 years ago

First I've seen getting a make-up Tilt Warning as an award. This seems especially useful when set to carry tilt warnings through an entire game.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

"Add Tilt Warning".
+ Added "Allow tilt warning award" adjustment (Wizard Mystery category). Can
be "ON" or "OFF," the default is "ON." Tilt warnings can only be awarded
when the current number is less than the configured maximum.

Quoted from Jvspin:

First I've seen getting a make-up Tilt Warning as an award. This seems especially useful when set to carry tilt warnings through an entire game.

Missed that - that's brilliant. Would love to see this as an "achievable" award - not just a mystery.

#42 2 years ago

A Pat Lawlor and Keith Johnson game has huge potential. Innovative design and innovative code. Have they worked together before?

#43 2 years ago

Tilt warnings were given as awards in Dr Dude.

Punishing the player for exploiting the crystal ball fits perfectly with the theme. The crystal ball belongs to the Witch. It's normal modes already handicap the player. F*ck with the Witch at your own peril. Maybe hitting Glinda enough times (somewhat dangerous shot) could dispel the no-hold curse...

These are all the related situations I can remember, but none go as far as WOZ code:

NGG and SWep1 will raise gofers/droptargets to stop incessant ramp looping. DE Batman did the same thing, dumping loopers off with a diverter. A bug in NGG makes raising Bud more of a punishment than blocker, since it takes some work to get him to stay down afterward.

Jolly Park (possibly other Spinball games) will shut power off to a flipper if it is held up for ~15 seconds. Player punishment, or compensation for crummy electronics? Who knows....

Capcom firmware on all their games will disable power to a flipper if it sees the cabinet switch flutter at a fast enough frequency for enough time. Punishment for bad post-passers, or failsafe to protect flipper assy from bad optos? Maybe Pfutz can answer...

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Punishing the player for exploiting the crystal ball fits perfectly with the theme. The crystal ball belongs to the Witch. It's normal modes already handicap the player. F*ck with the Witch at your own peril. Maybe hitting Glinda enough times (somewhat dangerous shot) could dispel the no-hold curse...

Was thinking the same thing....it's more of an add on to the whole Crystal Ball mode. Especially given one of the "awards" of the Crystal Ball is a no hold flipper mode.

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

this has existed in games before. Harley Davidson has it as a random award. pretty sure i've seen it in one or two others.

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Tilt warnings were given as awards in Dr dude.

Quoted from pezpunk:

this has existed in games before. Harley Davidson has it as a random award. pretty sure i've seen it in one or two others.

Learn something new everyday. Thanks!

#47 2 years ago

It seems rather stupid to use software to punish a player for doing something in the pinball machine that's a design flaw. If they want to keep backflipping the shot for 1 point a go, let them do that. They'll screw it up eventually. Make the spinner worth no points, and make it award no crystal ball awards, but don't do something idiotic like cripple flipper control as a "punishment" for the designer's oversight. LEt them flail away uselessly at next to zero value shots all they want until they go for something else.

*edit* Some kind of warning from the game that they're doing something "punishable" would be nice too. "Hey...cut it out!" "I'm warning you..."

#48 2 years ago

Class act for JJP to continue perfecting an almost perfect game. This level of software scrutiny is nothing short of amazing. Keith continues to leave his legacy on pinball. Hats off!!

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

Class act for JJP to continue perfecting an almost perfect game. This level of software scrutiny is nothing short of amazing. Keith continues to leave his legacy on pinball. Hats off!!

Absolutely agree!!!..I am now 100% confident I will never conquer this game.....definite sign of a keeper for me.....thanks, Keith..

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Double flippers kills pops to help get the ball into the Haunted Hole

Can you explain this a little more? Are you saying that while the ball is in the pops, if I hit both flippers at the same time like I was going to kill an animation, it will shut off the pops?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
7,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodbridge, CT
There are 378 posts in topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

Note: This is an old thread. The last post was made to it 466 days ago. Resurrecting old threads is not necessarily a bad thing, if you think the topic is still relevant and/or your post is beneficial to it (e.g. following up on something). In other cases, it might be better to create a new topic.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside