JJP_WOZ_SE.jpg
big-bass-wheel-pro-arcade-prize-redemption-game-baytek-games.jpg
Broke.jpg
image.jpg
loc-joint.jpg
woz_cab.jpg
image.jpg
Downvote.jpg
There are 507 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 11.
#101 8 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Who the hell is going to be buying pins at these prices... Pro athletes, movie stars, doctors, and lawyers?

Not this lawyer.

#102 8 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Who the hell is going to be buying pins at these prices... Pro athletes, movie stars, doctors, and lawyers?

It won't be the Dominos delivery boy I can tell you that.

#103 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I saved money on my WOZ! The preorder model is still alive!!!

Quoted from lowepg:

Yep... You really "saved" ....... Well, as long as your version of reality doesnt include quaint things like the stock market or money investment.

You've lost your sense of humor.

#104 8 years ago
Quoted from Banker:

Stern and JJP, are using USA labor. Government is mandating increases.

You ass-u-me that Stern is only paying minimum wage. My guess is that they pay their assembly workers more than that.

#105 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Not this lawyer.

I knew I could count on you to be the exception Rob!

#106 8 years ago

There is no federal mandate to raise the current minimum wage above $7.25/hr, it has been mandated that government contract workers get paid at least $10/hr. Stern and JJP have no government contracts that I am aware of so they will not be affected by the mandate, nor will 90% of other businesses. Minimum wage in Illinois is $8.50, set by the state.

Many industries will be affected by the new rules concerning salaried employees up to 65k getting overtime pay, though only a few at JJP/Stern would be in that group.

#107 8 years ago

Who would want a nib WOZ at this point?

#108 8 years ago

10K by Labor Day at this rate...

#109 8 years ago

#shiphobbit

#110 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Bingo. Just look at Kiss pro compared to MET pro. No comparison. One of those titles is cheaper to build then the other and therefore has a higher profit margin.
Stern can definitely keep making pro's that will be much cheaper then LE's, same with premiums, but they can also keep stripping down features which is a hidden price hike.

My pinball soul died a little when I played Wrestlemania LE.

#111 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Who would want a nib WOZ at this point?

Jack renewed the license for another 3 years ....can't blame him for wanting to continue to sell his flagship product, especially since it's the only thing they can build/ship right now.

I'm sure someone's buying them! Always remember that people who post on pinball forums are a tiny fraction of actual customers.

#112 8 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Stern Pros are getting more and more attractive each day.

Yeah...maybe, if Stern could only work out all of their QC issues their having here lately...

#113 8 years ago
Quoted from ZippyThePinhead:

Yeah...maybe, if Stern could only work out all of their QC issues their having here lately...

Lately? Unfortunately almost all NIB pinball has QC issues....no one has been able to solve that 100%

#114 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Lately? Unfortunately almost all NIB pinball has QC issues....no one has been able to solve that 100%

I understand there have always been QC issues...but according to all of the KISS threads, Stern has really screwed the pooch on this one...almost to the point where I've considered canceling my LE order.

#115 8 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

What kind of price jump do you think we'll see when Stern finally goes to color LCD?

I was hoping they go back to numeric displays.

Crappy animations suck.

#116 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I have no idea what a Stern LE sells for now. What I do know is that I can buy a Premium for $6500ish shipped. With "all the features" of the game.
You can get a Standard Heighway game for that same price. And then you get RGB lighting, lcd screen, widebody, all that JJP sort of stuff.
$6500 isn't cheap, but I can swallow it. $8500 I can't. It's why I walked away from paying for TBL when it was time to pony up, I realized I couldn't stomach it. This was before Philgate even.
I make decent money, I could afford a $8500 pin if I really wanted it. But it's a lot of money for me still, not an impulse purchase. I'm not wealthy, just a middle class dude. I gotta draw a line.

My situation to a tee.

I can afford to buy any pin I want.

However I won't pay those prices (even worse, New Zealand prices) because they just aren't worth that much in my eyes.

I can import half a dozen classic Bally SS machines from the USA for the price of a new Stern Pro. I get more enjoyment from the 6 classic pins than I do from one new one.

Simple equation in my eyes.

rd

#117 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Crappy animations suck.

I was hoping they would go back to mechanical score reels.

Every display since sucks.

#118 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Always remember that people who post on pinball forums are a tiny fraction of actual customers.

That may be true of the Stern pro market, but not of the upper end models. Pinsiders own like 40% to 50% of the LE's on Tron and Xmen, and that's just the people who have it in their collection. WoZ, which is estimated to have 2k to 3k machines built, 600 of which are owned by pinsiders (so between 20% and 30%). 20% to 50% is a big chunk of the upper end market. Some things like predator and AMH are probably 100% pinsiders.

#119 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

but they can also keep stripping down features which is a hidden price hike.

I would be hard to imagine a more stripped down DMD game than AFM, yet it is the funnest game of all time.

I don't look for how much crap is piled up on the playfield, I look for entertainment.

#120 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I was hoping they would go back to mechanical score reels.
Every display since sucks.

.....and they gave you WNBJM.

There is no pleasing you.

#121 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

.....and they gave you WNBJM.
There is no pleasing you.

Those score reels suck..

#122 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Those score rees suck..

I lit mine with green LEDs

#123 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Crappy animations suck.

Have you seen the dots on MET and TWD? Awesome animations rule!

#124 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I lit mine with green LEDs

Nice!

#125 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

KISS Pro has SPINNERS.

But they took out the drop targets...

#126 8 years ago

WOZ

JJP

$9500

Yawn

Wake me when they deliver an affordable & complete game on time without preorders.

A fella could buy damn near 3 HUO Stern Pro titles for $9500

Shit, those won't be complete either lol

#127 8 years ago

With all the greed by the bigger companies now, I don't want to hear them wining about not getting enough support if the market dives again.

#128 8 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

P.Lawlor's title--the price will be directly decided by how well Hobbit does, and what happens to WOZ sales now that Hobbit is available, but expect 10K--agreed.

Pat's game will be in line of the standard pricing. No LE model.
Plus it's not licensed so that saves on the BOM cost per unit.

#129 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I would be hard to imagine a more stripped down DMD game than AFM, yet it is the funnest game of all time.
I don't look for how much crap is piled up on the playfield, I look for entertainment.

Great points. Think about AFM though and its features. Motorized drop target bank, drop target behind that, scoop shot behind that and a moving mini space ship above of it. The game also has a physical ball lock, moving mini martians around the playfield and a divertor. The game isn't as feature packed as TZ or MM but there's still a good amount going on there.

Also, AFM would be nothing without its great rules, audio and callouts. Rules, audio, and callout quality can make an average looking game amazing. Stern needs to work on that department and by that I mean not just rules. They are inconsistent in the quality of their rules, audio and callouts across their games.

Entertainment in a pinball machine is important to me as well but it's only worth so much. Take LOTR for example. Incredible game. Is it worth $8k? No. At some point a games feature set plays heavily into its maximum asking price. Any manufacturer can easily take that mindset and say "hey, as long as the game is fun take out these features here and there as people will buy the game no matter what"...that's bad news when that happens.

As far as we know the prison toy in TWD Premium may have been a zombie bash toy that when hit flips up or down and reveals a ball lock. Same goes with KISS Premium / LE where maybe the Gene Simmons head toy could have been motorized and the player could shoot pinballs into the toys mouth. Stern could just say "hey, why do that, these people will buy the game no matter what as long as its fun to play so take those features out of the game, make it more basic and let's increase our profits".

#130 8 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

That's true.

That will take $20 off the price right there.

#131 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Motorized drop target bank,

Just leftovers from BK2K, which probably had more total features (and a much better soundtrack) than AFM....lol

#132 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Also, AFM would be nothing without its great rules, audio and callouts.

Exactly.

Without its great rules, it would be nothing but 6 shots.

#133 8 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Pat's game will be in line of the standard pricing. No LE model.

Being unlicensed won't lower the BOM. No art, video our sound assets to use - everything will have to be done from scratch. Plus - it's Pat...probably going to be lots of custom toys/mechs.

#134 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They did. *shudder*

image.jpgimage.jpg

#135 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's true.
That will take $20 off the price right there.

So Pat's game will only be $9980 now? I'm in! lol

#136 8 years ago
Quoted from brent149:

With all the greed by the bigger companies now, I don't want to hear them wining about not getting enough support if the market dives again.

No one gets into pinball due to greed. There are better businesses to get into if you're greedy. Unfortunately, manufacturing a niche and largely irrelevant product at a low price is difficult. High prices are what they have to sell for to make the business work.

#137 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Even though it's a standard WOZ does offer more then any Stern LE

More what?
More lights? More colours? More flippers? More modes?
Definately not more fun, that's for sure.

#138 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

They did. *shudder*

Hey, those are alphanumeric.

Real men prefer numeric only.

#139 8 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

But they took out the drop targets...

Can't have both, I guess.

#140 8 years ago
Quoted from movingpictures:

More what?
More lights? More colours? More flippers? More modes?
Definately not more fun, that's for sure.

Everyone's opinion will vary on if it's more fun or not, same with every game. Feature wise though, what you get for the money, a WOZ standard knocks the socks off any Stern LE.

Real stainless steel armor like classic Bally / Williams games, 26" LCD, 4 flippers, 5 magnets, mechanical monkey toy, a mini playfield with standup targets + loop shot + mechanical doors + shot behind the doors, another mini playfield with a mechanical spinning house that opens, 2 VUK's, witch toy, physical ball lock, saucer, two mini outlane games, stainless steel habitrails and one of, if not the deepest rulesets in pinball.

Also, when you open up a WOZ and look under the hood take a look at the sides of the interior of the cabinet and how different they look compared to those on Stern games, look under the playfield and see how wires are ran to solenoids, notice how a lot of the cables are shrink wrapped. Everything under the hood on a JJP game is on a different level. There's just more attention to detail.

Yes, and then there's the lights, lots and lots of lights that produce some of the best lightshows in pinball.

#141 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

They did. *shudder*

image.jpg

Those are gonna show up at that Atari ET landfill one of these days.....

#142 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Also, AFM would be nothing without its great rules, audio and callouts. Rules, audio, and callout quality can make an average looking game amazing.

Do you know how to tell if it's a real good game or not? Turn the sound all the way off and play it. Then you will know. Try it some time.

#143 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Do you know how to tell a real good game? Turn the sound all the way off and play it.

Actually if you did that with WOZ it would be an improvement.

#144 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Do you know how to tell if it's a real good game or not? Turn the sound all the way off and play it. Then you will know. Try it some time.

Tron would be reduced to an above average game using this approach.

#145 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Okay. Just tried it.

All my games suck.

#146 8 years ago

Inflation is around 2 percent a year. More if you go by none government numbers. I am not in the market for a woz but the price will change on materials from the start of a run to the end. His call but it might be just too that he will squeeze a few in at the end for a little more before starting the next machine.

#147 8 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

Origin of this phrase comes from a Happy Days episode where the Fonz jumped a shark on waterskis. Thus was labeled the lowest point of the show.

Greatest moment in television history... but maybe I'm bias

I can't imagine ever spending $9500 on a single NIB pin, I would much rather have numerous HUO pins for the same price.

#148 8 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Tron would be reduced to an above average game using this approach.

You should have seen what it did to a No Good Gophers.

#149 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Everyone's opinion will vary on if it's more fun or not, same with every game. Feature wise though, what you get for the money, a WOZ standard knocks the socks off any Stern LE.
Real stainless steel armor like classic Bally / Williams games, 26" LCD, 4 flippers, 5 magnets, mechanical monkey toy, a mini playfield with standup targets + loop shot + mechanical doors + shot behind the doors, another mini playfield with a mechanical spinning house that opens, 2 VUK's, witch toy, physical ball lock, saucer, two mini outlane games, stainless steel habitrails and one of, if not the deepest rulesets in pinball.
Also, when you open up a WOZ and look under the hood take a look at the sides of the interior of the cabinet and how different they look compared to those on Stern games, look under the playfield and see how wires are ran to solenoids, notice how a lot of the cables are shrink wrapped. Everything under the hood on a JJP game is on a different level. There's just more attention to detail.
Yes, and then there's the lights, lots and lots of lights that produce some of the best lightshows in pinball.

Please tell me you have this on a macro....if you type this f*cking list up every time you need to defend WOZ....

Anyway, all that stuff is generally irrelevant - people pay for FUN, not the tech behind the fun. Most people would rather play Iron Man than WOZ...that tells you everything you need to know.

#150 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Please tell me you have this on a macro....if you type this f*cking list up every time you need to defend WOZ....
Anyway, all that stuff is generally irrelevant - people pay for FUN, not the tech behind the fun. Most people would rather play Iron Man than WOZ...that tells you everything you need to know.

I do have it on a macro on my PC! Pressing shift then typing "W", "O", "Z" launches it

"all that stuff is generally irrelevant" and "Most people would rather play Iron Man than WOZ"

Wow. I guess I just expect a lot in a game when a pinball machine of all things cost $7500+ It matters big time how much a game offers when the price tag is nearing or is above the $8k range.

Fun is only worth so much before I think "yeah it's fun but its not worth this much". As for Iron Man I think it's a great and fun game but it isn't half the game that WOZ is feature and code wise. It's fast, fast and fast. Of course its so fast as less mechanical features on a game (drop targets, ball locks, scoop shots, VUK's, multiple moving toys) can result in a game playing quicker as they are not slowing the ball down. The game also isn't $8k and I'm sure if Stern listed it at that price people would say no way as they would expect more.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 24.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 91.00
$ 5.00
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 507 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-500-price-increase/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.