WOZ 2.0 system?

By hocuslocus

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Just so I 100% understand, the 2.0 system is where if one board goes out the rest on the line after it don't go out as well?

I was hoping someone could let me know if it's possible to rewire or add a new board to a non-2.0 WOZ to let the light boards work independently.
Just wanted to see if it was possible If I ordered something and/or rewired something to achieve this.

would this take brand new light boards? another board that I don't have?

I have a WOZ RR 8 hundred and something, Pretty sure all the boards are the latest revision.
WOZ is my next up to shop and since I previously had a lot of problems with the light boards I wanted to know if there was something more I could do. At my house I haven't had one issue, maybe its because the location has carpet.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

Just so I 100% understand, the 2.0 system is where if one board goes out the rest on the line after it don't go out as well?
I was hoping someone could let me know if it's possible to rewire or add a new board to a non-2.0 WOZ to let the light boards work independently.
Just wanted to see if it was possible If I ordered something and/or rewired something to achieve this.
would this take brand new light boards? another board that I don't have?
I have a WOZ RR 8 hundred and something, Pretty sure all the boards are the latest revision.
WOZ is my next up to shop and since I previously had a lot of problems with the light boards I wanted to know if there was something more I could do. At my house I haven't had one issue, maybe its because the location has carpet.

No, you can't rewire it. Your only choice is to trade up to the new model.

#3 6 years ago

I was told by Frank that it is possible, but unlikely due to the cost and labor involved to upgrade.

#4 6 years ago

But they are still developing a retro fit and hoping to come up with something that is affordable enough for people to do the change over.

#5 6 years ago

You can't swap one LED board. You have to do the entire system.

If they make a kit ( they might ) it is a lot of work. Strip out all the data harnesses, all the power cables, all the boards. Make the GI tube holes bigger. Install new power supply, new GI tubes. All the LED boards. The HUB and BAG board.

Figure 8 to 10 hours, if you are good at stuff like this.

LTG : )

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If they make a kit ( they might ) it is a lot of work. Strip out all the data harnesses, all the power cables, all the boards. Make the GI tube holes bigger. Install new power supply, new GI tubes. All the LED boards. The HUB and BAG board.

Seems like a lot of work and cost but it might be better than paying $300-$500 every few years to replace busted boards.

I'm debating if it would be worth it or not. I guess it depends on how unreliable the 1.7 boards end up being. I've had three die in a year of <1000 plays and not being left on all the time. Not exactly promising.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

holy crap, I figured it would be some work but damn. Any idea on how much all that would cost If I went that route? ball park est.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Make the GI tube holes bigger.

I'm comfortable with electronics but when it comes to cutting into the playfield esshhh. that's if that's what you mean by making the holes bigger.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

Any idea on how much all that would cost If I went that route? ball park est.

Way back I heard an estimate of $2K.

But no idea if that is accurate or not. They have to figure how many parts, bag and tag them, and instructions.

Then we'll know the price. They may have just been throwing out a figure back then. With no way of knowing.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

but when it comes to cutting into the playfield esshhh. that's if that's what you mean by making the holes bigger.

I suppose you could pray to the hole gods and see if they could miracle them bigger.

I'd be thinking of clamping a piece of wood below the playfield, and drill from the top down. To lessen damage or the wood breaking out below.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Make the GI tube holes bigger. Install new power supply, new GI tubes. All the LED boards. The HUB and BAG board.

I forgot the run new cables part for power and data.

Sorry.

#12 6 years ago

I wouldn't be stunned if at least some mention of it is made at Expo this year but that's just a hunch by me not official.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Way back I heard an estimate of $2K.

wow, I hope not. I could see going 1k maybe up to 1500, it's definitely an issue that has given me enough trouble and if I plan on keeping the game long term I could see the value. Took me a long time to warm up to WOZ, mainly because it took almost 2 years of playing pinball to get good enough to get a more then 1 diamond (guess I sucked pretty bad). very frustrating game at least for me in the beginning, now the game is a blast to play.

Quoted from LTG:

I suppose you could pray to the hole gods and see if they could miracle them bigger.

, that's fantastic. If there was a chance, I would try.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Why does the new light system for WOZ 2.0 need bigger GI light tube holes? Does it have backup LEDs for when one goes out? Just trying to understand what the difference is that requires the bigger holes.

#15 6 years ago

The profile of the boards is different, the diffuser posts are different, the mounting brackets are different, the newer playfields are cut differently to accommodate the different setup.

#16 6 years ago

If you are the original owner you can get on the list for full buffered replacement for about 700.00 and that should be pretty reliable,I did it and it has been great

#17 6 years ago

5th try?

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

If you are the original owner you can get on the list for full buffered replacement for about 700.00 and that should be pretty reliable,I did it and it has been great

This

As long as they continue to support the original system I will probably keep it as is. I've only blown 2 boards (and had the LED fail on one) in over 3 years of limited use. Though I can understand how frustrating this would be for someone who is blowing boards left and right.

1 week later
#19 6 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I'm pretty sure all the boards I had were the latest revision. The more frustrating part was out of the say maybe 10 replacement boards I received NIB 8 of them worked. So I had to send back the broken ones this happened almost every time I ordered multiple boards. At that point I was being extremely cautious in my handling.

I love the game, it was just a shame that it had so many led board issues. Like I said I've had it in my house for a little while now and haven't had one issue with those boards. As soon as I finish with a few things I'll be bringing it back through the rotation and if it continues to cause problems, I'll probably sell it or retire it for home use. Maybe some locations got lucky, but I've heard of plenty of other operators retiring their WOZ due to this. Maybe because it was on 16-20 hours a day everyday, maybe static, maybe a combinations of other factors.

I'm well aware that no company is perfect and I don't fault them for it. I try to do everything in my power to mitigate the damage. EX. Almost all of my golden tees freeze up on a somewhat regular basis causing me issues and lots of frustration. The ones that don't freeze probably would if they got the same amount of playtime. I spent over 30hrs going through each affected cabinet verifying the there were no loose connections that the air flow was good, voltages and anything else I could think off. I even added more ram into every mobo. Finally concluded that there was nothing I could do about it, since it was more then likely software related. sometimes they go 6 months without issue, and sometimes one or more freeze 3 times a day for a week straight.

So your basically left two options sell it or put up with it. With both these items I wish there was a 3rd option.

#20 6 years ago

One last time - can someone definitively explain to me which WOZ light boards are most likely to be reliable and why, what game versions did they appear on, how do I identify them, and what WOZ models, if any, should I avoid if I want to stay away from these issues?
I am planning to buy a WOZ. Several versions are available in the area, 75th, ECLE, etc, but I don't want to deal with light board issues after spending more than 7000-8500 for the game. Thanks!

#21 6 years ago

Most reliable is the 2.0 system but only give or take 10 percent of currently existing games use it. Note that all WOZ built from this point forward will have the 2.0 which means that if you want you could simply wait and buy one NIB soon. Most common is the v1.4 7.5v buffered boards which have done pretty well although there have been failures. Earlier versions of the 7.5v system include v1.1 (pretty uncommon). Then earlier still you have the +5v boards, buffered and (earliest) unbuffered. I would avoid the +5v unbuffered if I could although you can swap them out later if you want. +5v buffered do just fine in my experience.
Any and all of this is subject to update because there will be a 2.0 update kit coming which will allow (although certainly not require) anyone will a version earlier than 2.0 to upgrade to 2.0 thus rendering the entire discussion moot (but only on a case by case basis of course). Does that help?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 5.00
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 16.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

13,000 (OBO)
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 91.00
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-20-system and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.