Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231118_133828 (resized).jpg
20231111_184206 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200613_163327958 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200613_163148711 (resized).jpg
IMG_0083 (resized).jpeg
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

Hey guys, been dealing with the new service manager at JJP, Barry. Nice guy. Sold me on the new 2.0 boards. They are red boards they have in stock. He says no telling when green board will be back in stock. Cost me over $8 bills.

Anyone else upgrade and find the new red 2.0 boards and much duller than the 7.5 boards? Looks like they reduced the led boards from four leds to one and thus the duller effect. Certainly something JJP should have said on their website before you bought. We were thrilled with JJP. Any thoughts or these??? This was hard earned money in a crazy economy that we feel taken advantage of. His responses in emails are sporadic. Once you spend two days working on replacing plus all the cash, you feel a little ripped off when you could have searched the the original issue better.

Just frustrated, trusting and now broke. JJP could have been more up front about the color change. Barry said there is a difference. Thanks for telling us now, two days and eight hundred dollars later.

Thanks for any advice.

#2 3 years ago

One more thing, Barry tells me the that me and my family of four have"sensitive eyes". Really bothered by that. No big deal if one person sees it that way, but insulting if your entire family sees the same issue.

#3 3 years ago

Simple solution would be to reinstall your original boards and sell someone the 2.0 kit. Problem solved.

#4 3 years ago

If you stuck with the original boards, you would have eventually had issues with them failing and spent a lot of money and time replacing them. The 2.0 boards are much more reliable. IMO, there really is no choice but to upgrade at some point. Some have complained the the GI is a bit dimmer with the 2.0 system. I don’t notice it that much as the GI was always dim with WOZ.

Make sure each GI board is properly centered so the LED is right in the middle of the little column that diffuses the light onto the playfield.

I believe I heard JJP is considering adding in code that brightens the GI, but I’m not sure if that was rumor, wishful thinking, or real.

You can turn the general LED lighting up in the settings; I did that, and it helped a lot. So, if you are referring to all the LEDs and not just the GI, try that.

If you are talking about the GI, then some have installed spot lights or pinstadiums to help, and you could consider that as well.

In short, I’m sorry you feel bummed out about this, but rest assured that the conversion was necessary and increases the value of your game.

#5 3 years ago

I have talked with Barry and have not been impressed. He is not who I would want in charge of talking to customers.

#6 3 years ago

I dealt with Barry at American Pinball and was not impressed at all. Sad to see him land at JJP.

#7 3 years ago

Maybe I didn't understand your original post, OP. Are you saying that there are two versions of the 2.0 light boards -- one that is green and one that is red -- and that the red is known to be dimmer than the green? If so, that's something I didn't know. When did they make the switch and why?

#8 3 years ago

GI lighting on the 2.0 conversion gives off less light. Unfortunately, that's just a fact. JJP hasn't said it was revising code, I think that's wishful thinking.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Maybe I didn't understand your original post, OP. Are you saying that there are two versions of the 2.0 light boards -- one that is green and one that is red -- and that the red is known to be dimmer than the green? If so, that's something I didn't know. When did they make the switch and why?

I think he was referring to the older green boards in parts store you can longer get.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

No, 2.0 boards are red. I think he was referring to the older green boards in parts store you can longer get.

My 2.0 boards are green.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

My 2.0 boards are green.

Mind blown. Ive only seen the red one's. Do you think you have a first run of 2.0 boards, Is there a date?
Thanks

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Mind blown. Ive only seen the red one's. Do you think you have a first run of 2.0 boards, Is there a date?
Thanks

I doubt it because I bought a kit. They are the ones with a separate and not integrated bag board, so I know they changed things at some point to integrate that part. I can check for a date later.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I can check for a date later.

#14 3 years ago

Man you guys are quick! So to clarify a couple things, Barry sounds like a real nice guy and spent a long time talking to me, but in the end never mentioned the color issues other than saying some people who are purest will see the white lights more blueish when I asked him if anyone had any issues with the 2.0 boards.

Also, when I say Barry sold me the boards, he sold me on the red boards. I decided to upgrade after speaking to Jim who was also super nice and took a lot of time with me. So rather than continuing to try to trouble shoot the boards, I finally decide to upgrade and order the new ones figuring I will need to do that someday anyhow and we love the WOZ.

Even though they say out of stock, JJP builds the kit when you order. So a couple weeks later, I get an email from Barry saying they don't have the green boards in stock, but the red ones. I ask Barry what the difference is? He says no difference and he thinks they look nicer than the green. I asked why red? He said that before he came to company, these were ordered as prototypes and for some reason they got a hundred of them. He says they won't order more until they sell all of these and no telling when that will be. Well nuts! What are my options now? Wait until??? Also, I could have been told that when I ordered than weeks later. I would have continued trying to trace the issue. Anyhow, he assures me multiple times that the red "prototypes" are the same as the green boards. So I say go ahead. Then he tells me if anything is wrong, he will fix it. I asked him what should go wrong? He said nothing other than another guy who is a purest didn't like the red. I will say that I saw another pinsider later selling a ruby red edition with red boards. I asked Barry about that and he said some red boards were installed in new machines. Confused.

After I talked to Barry about the install, he said there were differences, but JJP went with the best leds available. Still, could have said they are dimmer.

Ok, long enough story. Again, not a Barry bashing. Just saying JJP should tell you upfront when you sink $800+. Just asking if anyone else notices the difference who did the upgrade with the red boards in particular? The 7.5s really lit up to us. Sounds like some of you do notice it and that confirms my eyes.
The boards are centered perfectly. It's just a bummer after all of that money and work to turn it on and find that somewhere over the rainbow is a cloud.

Btw, the 2.0 install directions they updated in April are pretty good. Out of the gate, some of the boards had a different part number in the instructions. Followed other pinsiders' posts who had done the change and that too was helpful. If anyone needs help, happy to give pointers if you ever decide to go with 2.0s. Take your time and plan for every minute of 12-14 hours for the first time! No one is kidding about that. Thanks everyone.

#15 3 years ago

Have you gone into settings and upped the LED brightness level? I did after the install, and it helps.

#16 3 years ago

Yes, this is a known issue with the 2.0 upgrade kit. Definitely a real bummer.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Yes, this is a known issue with the 2.0 upgrade kit. Definitely a real bummer.

There’s a known slight dimming with 2.0, but to OPs point, is there a difference between red 2.0 and green 2.0? I guess someone with both would have to tell us . . . .

#18 3 years ago

Yes. I just kicked it up from normal to top level which is high. Yep. Made a difference. Not much, but can't complain either. Thank you.

Don't know about difference between red and green. JJP says no difference when I asked. Also why I posted so others are aware. I had read a lot of threads before buying and don't recall any discussion on brightness, so hope this helps someone when deciding. I decided too because of people talking about price going up (which was confirmed could happen) and boards not being available at some point. Rumors or not, I didn't want to risk missing out and stuck piecing out for years. If you're on the fence with 7.5s, in hindsight, I'd probably try to trace issue if simple. Otherwise, it's probably worth the "light" sacrifice in the end. I will say it again, just good business to know in advance of what you are trading off when upgrading. In the end, with your help, the trade off is now negligible and there's a piece of mind knowing you don't have to worry about static electricity and the next board failing.

Last question, anyone know if highest lighting level puts more of a strain on leds? Heard somewhere not to let WOZ sit in attract mode or turned on without playing. Reason I ask.

Thanks again!

#19 3 years ago

2.0 kit (green boards) seems plenty bright to me.
IMG_0083 (resized).jpegIMG_0083 (resized).jpeg

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from RoboBot:

Once you spend two days working on replacing plus all the cash, you feel a little ripped off when you could have searched the the original issue better.

I'm really sorry that you're disappointed - have you tried bumping up the LED intensity in the software?

#21 3 years ago

Regarding photo of 2.0: Don't disagree if you didn't see 7.5s hours earlier. 7.5 leds had four leds on each light. New ones have one per light. New boards are thinner and might even seem cheaper because they look like they have less going on with them. But, they also just feel/look like they are made better because of that. Ethernet cables and all. Just feels better. Anyone walking up to table for first time will just be impressed. To your point!

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I doubt it because I bought a kit. They are the ones with a separate and not integrated bag board, so I know they changed things at some point to integrate that part. I can check for a date later.

So there are 2 versions of the 2.0 kit ? One with a separate bag board and one integrated ?

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

So there are 2 versions of the 2.0 kit ? One with a separate bag board and one integrated ?

The original kit and set of boards had a separate bag board. At some point, they integrated the bag board into one of the LED boards. It was explained to me at one point as being an easier design or perhaps one that didn’t have unnecessary components, but I forget. Anyway, the newer kits have an integrated bag board so you don’t have to worry about mounting the bag board separately.

#24 3 years ago

So let me correct myself on the 7.5 boards. They are not made of four leds. Looks like a couple. They are simply bigger. I attached a photo for anyone unfamiliar. My apologies for that.

Also, bag board is separate. That came green. In fact, it was a mix of red and green. Big boards were red and smaller ones were a mix. Don't think that helps anything here but I attached another photo.

IMG_20200613_163148711 (resized).jpgIMG_20200613_163148711 (resized).jpgIMG_20200613_163327958 (resized).jpgIMG_20200613_163327958 (resized).jpg

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

The original kit and set of boards had a separate bag board. At some point, they integrated the bag board into one of the LED boards. It was explained to me at one point as being an easier design or perhaps one that didn’t have unnecessary components, but I forget. Anyway, the newer kits have an integrated bag board so you don’t have to worry about mounting the bag board separately.

It must have changed recently. I got my 2.0 kit 6 months ago it has the separate bag board.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from RoboBot:

So let me correct myself on the 7.5 boards. They are not made of four leds. Looks like a couple. They are simply bigger. I attached a photo for anyone unfamiliar. My apologies for that.
Also, bag board is separate. That came green. In fact, it was a mix of red and green. Big boards were red and smaller ones were a mix. Don't think that helps anything here but I attached another photo.
[quoted image][quoted image]

So you have the bag board too. And I see you also have small led boards that are green too.
Are the GIs one all red ?

#27 3 years ago

I upgraded to 2.0 just before adol75 (I think) and my boards are green. Prior to the upgrade the 7.5v system would break often. Game was constantly out of commission. The 2.0 kit did have to be arranged to order. The bag board was separate and had to be installed. The directions were amazing. I considered the project fun. The result was dimmer GI, but complete stability - which was preferable. I ended up getting pinstadiums which are wonderful due to the multiple settings. Now, no more light issues at all. Hood never gets lifted. Happy.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

So you have the bag board too. And I see you also have small led boards that are green too.
Are the GIs one all red ?

Uh, oops. I may be getting my terminology wrong. See the fish shaped LED board with all the data cable connectors. There used to be a separate board that those data cables went into. Maybe it was called the hub board and not the bag board. Sorry.

#29 3 years ago

Both LED packages (referring to the chip) would have three emitters (RGB). The new one just has a frosted lens instead of a clear lens which probably helps blend the color a little better. Can’t really tell if the actual emitters are smaller or just more closely packed in the chip.

It’s good to know they are potentially dimmer though, still running my original 7.5v boards but almost always have at least one GI wigging out on me. One day will have to bite the bullet unfortunately.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Uh, oops. I may be getting my terminology wrong. See the fish shaped LED board with all the data cable connectors. There used to be a separate board that those data cables went into. Maybe it was called the hub board and not the bag board. Sorry.

Oh I see. Then I have the same fish but green.
The bag board is the vertical board right below the fish board

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

It must have changed recently. I got my 2.0 kit 6 months ago it has the separate bag board.

I installed a kit purchased last October and the fish board was the hub board, and only the BAG was a screwed on board.
The kit I just installed had the hub board separate, so two screwed on boards between BAG and HUB. I believe it was purchased 3/2019.

#32 3 years ago

did the green 2.0 boards or the 7.5V boards actually have 4 separate LED's (R,B,G,W) ? Was there a fourth LED specifically for white or did they do a combo like most RGB LED's
The amount of time I spent fixing/replacing those boards I'd think I'd remember.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The kit I just installed had the hub board separate, so two screwed on boards between BAG and HUB. I believe it was purchased 3/2019.

Yep. That’s like the one I have. I just mixed up the terms hub and bag. Sorry all for the confusion.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Both LED packages (referring to the chip) would have three emitters (RGB). The new one just has a frosted lens instead of a clear lens which probably helps blend the color a little better. Can’t really tell if the actual emitters are smaller or just more closely packed in the chip.
It’s good to know they are potentially dimmer though, still running my original 7.5v boards but almost always have at least one GI wigging out on me. One day will have to bite the bullet unfortunately.

Yes the GIs are dimmer, the ones under the inserts have the same brightness
The really different one, and I don't know if it's mine, my memory or everyone is the extra ball light. It's orange but on the yellow side, like almost washed out.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

Yes the GIs are dimmer, the ones under the inserts have the same brightness
The really different one, and I don't know if it's mine, my memory or everyone is the extra ball light. It's orange but on the yellow side, like almost washed out.

How does it look cycling through colors in the LED test? Perhaps one color on the LED is out. I’ve had that happen on Wonka.

1 year later
#36 2 years ago

I see the 2.0 light kit is currently out of stock. Is JJP going to do another run of them?

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I see the 2.0 light kit is currently out of stock. Is JJP going to do another run of them?

I emailed them a few months ago and never got a reply. Probably depends on if they’re planning another run for WoZ.

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

I emailed them a few months ago and never got a reply. Probably depends on if they’re planning another run for WoZ.

I emailed them as well just now. I also need a monkey mechanism, not sure if that is sold anymore either.

1 week later
#39 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I emailed them as well just now. I also need a monkey mechanism, not sure if that is sold anymore either.

Emailed JJP sales about 2.0 boards last week. No response. Opened a support ticket in early November (for a separate topic). No response.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from naf_llabnip:

Emailed JJP sales about 2.0 boards last week. No response. Opened a support ticket in early November (for a separate topic). No response.

2.0 boards should not be too far off now from what I've heard. Weeks I think. Not 100% certain. No open tickets around since November so if you still need whatever, please submit it again.

#41 2 years ago

Oh and if you are not on the email list to be notified on the 2.0 kits already, email in and ask to be put on that list and you shall be.

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Oh and if you are not on the email list to be notified on the 2.0 kits already, email in and ask to be put on that list and you shall be.

Really appreciate it, thanks I will shoot a note back asking to get on the list!

#43 2 years ago

Just for the record and so I'm not the guy who ONLY complains ... within 15 minutes of submitting a ticket tonight I already heard back from Ken at JJP and they are putting me on the 2.0 light board wait list, so great and quick response from those guys at JJP. Will update if I hear anything on timing, but from what Pinballomatic said it hopefully is more weeks than months

#44 2 years ago

On the topic of 2.0 lights...if you want them installed and you're in Texas (or willing to ship your pin) let me know.

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

On the topic of 2.0 lights...if you want them installed and you're in Texas (or willing to ship your pin) let me know.

Good to know, I will probably wind up doing the install myself, I am one of those wierdos that almost enjoys tearing a machine apart as much as playing it BTW your comments in the Wonka thread have helped me more thana few times, Pinside (myself included) is lucky to have good peeps like you!

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from naf_llabnip:

Good to know, I will probably wind up doing the install myself, I am one of those wierdos that almost enjoys tearing a machine apart as much as playing it BTW your comments in the Wonka thread have helped me more thana few times, Pinside (myself included) is lucky to have good peeps like you!

Awesome, glad I could help. If you run into questions on the WOZ swap let me know. It can be confusing and daunting at times.

I highly recommend one of these so you can control your drilling depth.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L0XB8Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Awesome, glad I could help. If you run into questions on the WOZ swap let me know. It can be confusing and daunting at times.
I highly recommend one of these so you can control your drilling depth.
amazon.com link »

Excellent, great suggestion, ordering now, thx so much!

1 year later
#48 5 months ago

Hey guys. I am planning to do the WOZ 2.0 lighting upgrade, and I have a simple question. Should I do this with the playfield in the cabinet, or just pull it out a mount it to my rotisserie?

Thanks.

#49 5 months ago

Is there an upgrade to brighten up the 2.0 lights. I thought I saw something recently but I might have miss read. Thanks

#50 5 months ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

Hey guys. I am planning to do the WOZ 2.0 lighting upgrade, and I have a simple question. Should I do this with the playfield in the cabinet, or just pull it out a mount it to my rotisserie?
Thanks.

Just keep it in the cabinet. Easy enough to do that way.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 5.00
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.95
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

13,000 (OBO)
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-20-lighting?hl=robobot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.