6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 81 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by PinballMikeD
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago

I have had access to a WOZ in the wild for the past few months. Played it a few times when it first got there and thought it was the prettiest game I'd ever seen, but there wasn't anything under the lights. I left it alone for the most part, until tonight.

2x scoring lights out was a decent feature. Than I got 2x lights on, which was really cool. 2x with weak flippers had me laughing out loud. 3x reversed flippers had me confused till I crossed my hands.

I actually had fun playing a pinball machine tonight. Not that I don't have fun the other countless hours a week I play other pins. Normally fun involves racking up big scores and competition. WOZ wasn't like that tonight, I had fun just throwing the ball around and didn't care about the score.

#52 6 years ago

Off center video of the LCD only during a three player woz game on 1.22. This shows many enhanced animations and the new good witch animations. There is also a match at the end of the game which has a cool effect.

#53 6 years ago

The mod "fire ball" is there an end?
Because the rules posted, it says "Complete fireball frenzy"

It must still be a mod for Chrystal ball "Star pinball frenzy"?

It would be nice to win a extraball.
It would be nice if Glenda gave an extra ball during Multiball

How to rekindle Glenda?

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

Off center video of the LCD only during a three player woz game on 1.22. This shows many enhanced animations and the new good witch animations. There is also a match at the end of the game which has a cool effect.
» YouTube video

Thanks for posting! I can really tell just how much the animations have been tweaked and see some new ones added. Very cool!

Also, how does a player spell "Haunted" to start a Haunted mode?

#55 6 years ago

The tree bumpers spell "Haunted."

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

The mod "fire ball" is there an end?
Because the rules posted, it says "Complete fireball frenzy"
It must still be a mod for Chrystal ball "Star pinball frenzy"?
It would be nice to win a extraball.
It would be nice if Glenda gave an extra ball during Multiball
How to rekindle Glenda?

relight Glinda is the switch behind the rubber next to the pop bumpers. You probably never even realized a switch was there.

#57 6 years ago

There is really nothing like this machine. Nothing compares.

I played the new code last night, had a couple of modes/multis stacked with the new CB modes and it's just genius stuff.

No Hold Flippers, where have you been? Forcing you to simply MAKE shots during a multiball is one of the best modes ever, no holding and passing and methodical (ZzzZZzzz) play, but simply 'how good are you at flailing?' I flailed 4 balls into 4 different shots and it was just glorious. Such a fresh feeling to play. I only had time for a short session so I never got the Reversed Flippers mode, but the No Hold and Weak Flipper modes were absolutely awesome and are two of the most interesting modes I've played in many years.

I feel sorry for the (cue Poindexter-ish voice, cause that's how I hear these in my head) "But I played it a couple times on location and at a show, where I could barely hear anything or concentrate on what was going on, but in my first 3 games I decided I wasn't being satisfied properly, which confirmed what I always knew I'd feel about the machine since before I ever saw it, that I don't like it and knew I never would" people.

Eventually I think nearly every player who allows themselves to be immersed in this machine and hungers for new and inventive pinball play will be drawn to WOZ. Because there's absolutely nothing like it in pinball right now. Pinball has taken a giant step forward... finally.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

relight Glinda is the switch behind the rubber next to the pop bumpers. You probably never even realized a switch was there.

Is that switch the "Skill shot" target? Looking at the layout on my iPad now trying to find it, haha.

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Is that switch the "Skill shot" target? Looking at the layout on my iPad now trying to find it, haha.

No, it's a non-obvious switch behind a rubber. Like the one just south of the Throne room.

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from Sunfox:

No, it's a non-obvious switch behind a rubber. Like the one just south of the Throne room.

Ah ok, got ya. Does changing the relit to the skill shot sound like a good idea? I think that would force players to use the upper right flipper more often, allow for relit to be an aimed shot, and provide a good risk / reward challenge.

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Thank you alex

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

I played the new code last night, had a couple of modes/multis stacked with the new CB modes and it's just genius stuff.
No Hold Flippers, where have you been? Forcing you to simply MAKE shots during a multiball is one of the best modes ever, no holding and passing and methodical (ZzzZZzzz) play, but simply 'how good are you at flailing?' I flailed 4 balls into 4 different shots and it was just glorious. Such a fresh feeling to play. I only had time for a short session so I never got the Reversed Flippers mode, but the No Hold and Weak Flipper modes were absolutely awesome and are two of the most interesting modes I've played in many years.
I feel sorry for the (cue Poindexter-ish voice, cause that's how I hear these in my head) "But I played it a couple times on location and at a show, where I could barely hear anything or concentrate on what was going on, but in my first 3 games I decided I wasn't being satisfied properly, which confirmed what I always knew I'd feel about the machine since before I ever saw it, that I don't like it and knew I never would" people.
Eventually I think nearly every player who allows themselves to be immersed in this machine and hungers for new and inventive pinball play will be drawn to WOZ. Because there's absolutely nothing like it in pinball right now. Pinball has taken a giant step forward... finally.

OMG, I love you for saying that...

It means more coming from somebody who owns 18 machines.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks!

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

I agree with you but in all fairness the way this game was rolled out by JJP people were given the opportunity to not like it. If WOZ in its current state is what was first rolled out for people to see I think the tone would have started off on a much better tone. The game was plagued with problems at shows and the code was infantile. Not really much to go on but first impressions are first impressions and you can't fault people for that, if anyone is to fault it would be the way JJP handled the release.

#64 6 years ago

If Woz was just dropped from nowhere in its current state the buzz would have been off the chart. Unless you have £6mil to start a company that's not going to happen though unfortunately.

The people who haven't had the game delivered yet are in for a treat with 1.22. We are getting closer to the finishing line with the code

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from j69:

If Woz was just dropped from nowhere in its current state the buzz would have been off the chart. Unless you have £6mil to start a company that's not going to happen though unfortunately.
The people who haven't had the game delivered yet are in for a treat with 1.22. We are getting closer to the finishing line with the code

Closer but hopefully not close. Still a ways to go, I hope.

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from j69:

I hear ya. The level of work that went into making WOZ is probably mind boggling. I remember reading a comment from Keiths Pinball Magazine interview and he said something regarding just how much work went into creating the game and that not everyone realizes that. Even though it took 3 years to get here JJP ended up creating a very high quality product, brought back the wide body format with a feature loaded game, implemented an LCD, put in stereo sound, put in RGB LED lighting, offered a ton of extra bells and whistles and is delivering consistent packed code updates. I say that is worth the wait Now that the platform for JJP is in place and the factory is up and running future games will take less time to be released.

#67 6 years ago

If I could only find the 1.22 code. All I see is the 1.21. Sorry some of us are a little slow

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Closer but hopefully not close. Still a ways to go, I hope.

Besides tweaks and bug fixes the remaining modes on the rule screens to be released are Haunted Multiball, Battle the Wicked Witch and Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Of course Keith and Ted may throw some more extras in there I also wonder if there will be a "Castle Multiball" mode as the castle playfield mentions it on the playfield as opposed to referencing Rescue Multiball.

#69 6 years ago

When we played while making the video, it was the first time I had played without any of us saying - well, that is going to do that in a later version or I wonder what that will end up doing or this rule isn't complete but it is going to do x in a later version. WOZ plays fast and the new modes and call outs and animations give you plenty to enjoy. The complaining about the theme always puzzles me, but to each his own. Even though it would have been better to have a complete game delivered from the beginning, it has been fun exploring the updates and seeing how the new features work. Being the first one to get to the no hold flippers mode was a cool pinball experience.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

If I could only find the 1.22 code. All I see is the 1.21. Sorry some of us are a little slow

You have to refresh your screen. Here's a direct link to it: http://support.jerseyjackpinball.com/downloads/woz/WizardOfOz_Delta_1.22.zip

#71 6 years ago

How do I update the code is this a full update 6 GB plus?

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

When we played while making the video, it was the first time I had played without any of us saying - well, that is going to do that in a later version or I wonder what that will end up doing or this rule isn't complete but it is going to do x in a later version. WOZ plays fast and the new modes and call outs and animations give you plenty to enjoy. The complaining about the theme always puzzles me, but to each his own. Even though it would have been better to have a complete game delivered from the beginning, it has been fun exploring the updates and seeing how the new features work. Being the first one to get to the no hold flippers mode was a cool pinball experience.

Yes..I would like to see something really fantastic for the Castle..instead of the ball just popping back out.. I am sure its coming.

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

How do I update the code is this a full update 6 GB plus?

No, this is not a full update.

Download the Zip, extract the "woz_update" folder to the root of your flash drive.

Start up your WOZ and go into the service menus. Attach your flash drive, go into Utilities and select USB Update. It takes about a minute as this is a fairly large update.

#74 6 years ago

Thank you!

#75 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Besides tweaks and bug fixes the remaining modes on the rule screens to be released are Haunted Multiball, Battle the Wicked Witch and Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Of course Keith and Ted may throw some more extras in there I also wonder if there will be a "Castle Multiball" mode as the castle playfield mentions it on the playfield as opposed to referencing Rescue Multiball.

That and the need for better choreography and callouts are really lacking IMO.

#76 6 years ago

You're welcome! And I'll be thanking you when I get my awesome mirror blades!

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Start flipper frenzy
Complete fireball frenzy
travel the yellow brick road

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from j69:

If Woz was just dropped from nowhere in its current state the buzz would have been off the chart.

You are absolutely correct. Players would be going into convulsions and Pinside would probably crash. I've made this point before. If nothing had been shown, then BOOM Jack just unveils WOZ as we now see it? Heh, pandemonium.

Unfortunately, as you say, he couldn't do that. And along the way, the small reveals took some of the mystery away, one by one, left a lot of cynical onlookers feeling the need to go "Meh" and "So what..." Mainly because they really couldn't grasp what was being shown to them, and what it would eventually be, and the knee-jerk reactions to hate on anything new and different.

As Taylor says, and he's right, Jack taking the prototypes around to the shows with very skeletal software, and weak flippers and all the rest, gave even more ammo to the guys who already sort of wanted to dislike it because of the theme, because of Jack's boastfulness, because it's a new hyped machine, or whatever reason.

As it stands now, it's a GI lighting upgrade away from being an absolute pinball masterpiece. That's assuming the code finishes up with the wizard modes and all the tweaks, which we know it will.

#79 6 years ago

Looks great. I like the idea of the no hold flippers a lot, seems very original.

#80 6 years ago

Here's the latest video from Daniel Tonks at Pinplay (www.pinplay.com)

He gave the following description:
So, Jersey Jack Pinball’s got this snazzy new v1.22 software for The Wizard of Oz with tons of new stuff, and do you think I can record a decent game to save my life? Nope! The one really good game I had was spoiled by a freaky stuck ball in an impossible place that required removing the glass to get to! Agghhh!
I’m not done trying yet, but I thought I’d post the best of the worst for this morning. Which is indeed pretty bad, so don't take it out on the game! However, in this particular game I did manage to get all the way through There’s No Place Like Home for the first time ever, and there’s a match at the end of the game, so that’s something – but if you’re looking for new modes, they simply aren’t here. Well, I do start Weak Flippers... but there’s nothing much to see with that! Mostly you’ll be able to check out the changes made to regular gameplay, such as hurry-ups, Glinda, new audio, and new lightshows.

#81 6 years ago

Wow. If this game can't make kids put some money in a pinball machine nothing will. Absolutely amazing.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside